PDA

View Full Version : The Brotherhood of the Abandoned

Palanan
2013-02-17, 12:23 PM
This is a DM-only thread, so my players should cruise elsewhere.

My current campaign has taken a while to get going, and along the way I've had several people who seemed interested in joining, built characters suited to the scenario, and then either bowed out or simply went dark.

--And then it occurred to me: at this point, I have enough abandoned characters to form a party of their own--and what better use for them than as a foil to my active PCs?

So, I'd like suggestions on how a killoren druid, an elven beguiler, an elven ranger/rogue and a dwarven paladin of freedom--all fifth level--could be an effective threat against a primarily martial sixth-level party. Strategies and tactics, items and gear, you name it--help me forge these lost souls into a weapon to be feared!

The Brotherhood:

Sun Elf Beguiler 5

Yaviendil Synnorthuine
Sun Elf Beguiler 5

HP: 27

Str 10
Dex 14
Con 12
Int 19
Wis 10
Cha 14

Feats:
1st - standard: Spellcasting Prodigy
flaw: Nymph's Kiss
3rd - standard: Spell Focus (Enchantment)
5th - class bonus: Silent Spell

Flaw: Noncombatant

Advanced Learning spell: Ray of Enfeeblement

Skills (including ability modifiers & racial bonuses):
Appraise +4, Balance +2, Bluff +11, Concentration +8, Decipher Script +4, Diplomacy +6, Disable Device +11, Disguise +11, Escape Artist +2, Forgery +4, Gather Information +2, Hide +10, Knowledge (Arcana) +4, Knowledge (Local) +4, Listen +10, Move Silently +10, Open Lock +11, Search +11, Sense Motive +8, Sleight of Hand +11, Spellcraft +4, Spot +10, Tumble +2, Use Magic Device +11

Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic, Sylvan, Illuskan, Ffolkan

Weapons:
shortbow
hand dagger

Gear:
Handy Haversack (2000)
+1 Cloak Resistance (1000)
+1 Elven Chain shirt (2100)
wand of cure light wounds (1400)
MW thieves' tools
bodhran & stick (hand-drum)

Schtick: poses as a minstrel, a flighty and entertaining fellow who often comes out with insightful and penetrating barbs. If pressed he will pretend to be a bard pretending to be a common minstrel, supplementing with "bardic magic" as required.
Snow Elf Rogue 2/Ranger 3

Anaeryn Velahirion
Snow Elf Feat-Rogue 2/Ranger 3

HP: 42

Str 14
Dex 18
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 8

Feats:
1st - standard: Point Blank Shot
flaw: Precise Shot
fighter bonus: Weapon Focus (longbow)
2nd - fighter bonus: Far Shot
3rd - standard: Dead Eye
ranger bonus: Track
4th - ranger bonus: Rapid Shot
5th - ranger bonus: Endurance

Flaw: Elven Pride of Arms

Favored Enemy: Orc

Skills: [pending]

Languages: Common, Elven, Illuskan, Orc

Weapons:
composite dragonbone longbow
[more?]

Gear:
[open to suggestions]
Killoren Druid 5

Sedge Splinterheart
Killoren Druid 5

HP: 38

Str 12
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 10

Feats:
1st - standard: Killoren Hunter
flaw: Blooded
3rd - standard: Tattoo Magic

Flaw: Noncombatant

Skills: --wait, druids have skills?! :smalltongue:
[pending]

Languages: Common, Sylvan, Druidic

Weapons:
[something more interesting than Joe Shortbow?]

Gear:
[open to suggestions]
Gold Dwarf Paladin of Freedom 5

Hadagrim Longwinter
Gold Dwarf Paladin of Freedom 5

HP: 51

Str 16
Dex 8
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 17
Cha 10

Feats:
1st - standard: Fullblade Proficiency
flaw: [?]
3rd - standard: Serenity

Flaw: Shaky

Divine Spirit ACF (Spirit of Healing)

Note: If I understand the interaction between Serenity and Divine Spirit, Hadagrim can use the Spirit of Healing to cure 30 points of damage per day.

Skills: Swim +6, Heal +10, Listen -1, Spot -1

Languages: Common, Dwarven

Weapons:
Masterwork Fullblade (400 gp)
[more?]

Gear:
Ring of Floating (2000)
Boots of Stomping (500 gp)
[more?]

Note: The paladin's player originally had a rather involved concept for his armor: Quick-Escape Interlocking Plate of Calling, apparently his answer to plate armor in a seafaring context. The Ring of Floating seemed to be a much simpler and cheaper solution, which frees up about 2000 gp for a different armor kit. If anyone has ideas on what that should be, I'm completely open.

Notes:

Stats, feats, skill allocations and gear selection have been retained from the original characters when possible, but their current names and other touches are my own addition.

Of the four characters, the elven beguiler and the dwarven paladin were built out in full, and then abandoned unplayed. Each of them came with a customized background (which I'm not including here) and an extensive gear list, although the paladin's would-be player was revising that when he went dark.

The killoren druid was only roughed out with the listed feats, little more; this was one of the first players in my campaign, but I could never get him to actually work on the character. I've taken the basic concept of "killoren druid" and roughed out a new set of stats.

The elven ranger/rogue was originally a scout/rogue with some generic background (revenge on orcs who killed her village, etc.) but no actual stats or feat selection. I swapped scout for ranger (not really a scout fan) and built her as a generic archer, using feat rogue to help with the basics.

Mephibosheth
2013-02-18, 08:18 PM
Hey! So, I have some suggestions that might help. Pending more detailed information you have about what your players' characters are like, I'm assuming that, based on your basic description ("a primarily martial sixth-level party") they're going up against primarily fairly conventional melee characters. So these suggestions are based on that assumption.

So given that we're assuming conventional melee, what I'd suggest is a party that uses battlefield control and ranged attack to foil their main tricks. The druid's and beguiler's spells can all be used from ranged to hamper and/or damage, the ranged fighter is pretty self-explanatory, and you can build the paladin for lockdown. Pick your battles where terrain favors the Brotherhood; rough terrain to inhibit charges, choke points and high ground, etc. Build details below.

Also, as a general resource, I can't recommend scanning through the handbook index (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12678.0) enough. You'll find great advice for almost anything.

Beguiler
It seems like people are generally down on BoED, but I think beguiler is one of the classes that can get the most mileage out of Vow of Nonviolence and (depending on the party) Vow of Peace. Most of the best beguiler spells are Will negates and deal no damage, so you want to pump your DCs as high as possible. Since Vow of Nonviolence explicitly stacks with Spell Focus, it might be a good pick if you can fit it in your build. Vow of Peace is a bit more confusing since it can shut down the rest of the party with its calming aura, but if you can get them to stay at least 20 feet away from you. Maybe consider taking a second flaw to pick up another feat. Shaky perhaps? You're already going the exalted route, after all.

Rogue/Ranger
I know you said you don't like scout, but this build is made to be a Swift Hunter. Scout 3/ranger2 or scout 4/ranger 1 would do everything your current build does, but better. You would lose out on a few feats which can be problematic in archer builds, but you'd gain a lot; full skirmish and full favored enemy, ranger bonus feats, ranger casting, etc. Weapon Focus and Far Shot are underwhelming feats anyway. And this build keeps the same basic structure of your original, just more effectively. Whichever way you go on this, check the archery handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642) for ideas.

Druid
Really hard to screw up druids. Nothing to say here other than to look at druid handbooks for ideas if you run dry. Especially when it comes to finding wild shape forms, which can be a daunting task.

Paladin
Far and away one of my favorite (and, from what I've read here, one of the most often recommended) melee builds is lockdown with a reach weapon. Basically, any weapon that can threaten more than 5 feet away gives you a 10 foot radius through with enemies pass at their peril. And if part of that peril involves Improved Trip or Stand Still, so much the better. Basically keep the bad guys away from your ranged fighters in the background.

In this case, since you're working with a dwarf and I love hafted weapons, I'd recommending switching your exotic weapon proficiency from fullblade to dwarven warpike (races of stone). It deals the same damage as a greatsword, has reach, and can be used to trip and set against a charge. That and a spiked gauntlet get you a 10 foot radius of threatened area. Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and combat reflexes are your friend. And why does this build have no Power Attack? No need for a fullblade for extra damage when Power Attack is so much more reliable and productive. Maybe go paladin 3/fighter 2 for the extra feats.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Hope it helps.

Palanan
2013-02-19, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the detailed response, I really appreciate it. First off, on the composition of the PCs in my group, we have:

halfling swashbuckler/bard
half-orc barbarian/warblade
elven fighter-archer
human cleric/druid

We also may be getting a new player who'll be running a cleric/sorcerer, on the road to mystic theurge. The party will probably be a mix of fifth and sixth level when they encounter the NPC team. And speaking of whom:

1. The Beguiler

I actually really like BoED, and I did allow the beguiler to take Nymph's Kiss (with some RP restrictions). And I know that Vow of Nonviolence is a great way to ramp up the beguiler's save DCs, probably one of the best.

In this case, though, it might not fit the character or the Brotherhood; the killoren and snow-elf in particular would have a real problem putting up with it. There's also the pure feat tax of Sacred Vow.

I had originally worked out a non-exalted rationale for the beguiler to have Nymph's Kiss, and I'd like to maintain that aspect of the character. Sorry if he seemed more exalted than he actually is. :smallwink:

2. The Swift Hunter (well, maybe)

You've convinced me to at least look at a Swift Hunter build, which I've never used before. I'm not at all familiar with scouts, but the prospect of full favored enemy progression and a little spellcasting on top does sound good. (And I agree, Weapon Focus and Far Shot are tres meh.)

3. The Druid

I do love druids, and we'll have great fun with Briar Web when the time comes. Right now my only druid-specific question is, what sort of animal companion to give him? I'd like something appropriately plant-ish, or something fey-kin, to complement the choice of killoren for race.

4. Paladin

The dwarven warpike just has to happen. Apart from its essential dwarfy goodness, I like how it can be set against a charge. Our party's half-orc barbarian is a dedicated charging build, and he's been mopping up encounters all too easily. Anything that counters a charger can be my friend, and this looks like a good start.