PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid falling objects...

sketchtb
2013-02-17, 02:13 PM
Hey all, I've gotten myself into a fine little mess and can't seem to find a solution. So last week my level 5 factotum and a buddie's level 6 pixie decided to have some fun and drop a tree on a necromancer at the beginning of a battle. He failed his reflex save and his toes curled up.

The rest of the fight was a cakewalk, a couple of low level henchmen and a dozen skeletons, cleric and barbarians cleaned them up quickly.

About a week later in game, our centaur cleric was gathering info in a market when BAM! A tree narrowly misses him (made his reflex). So it turns out that the necromancer was brought back through some obscure divine means and has sent his cult followers out to buy up all the feather tokens in the region and are attempting to pay us back tit for tat. Now, obviously the end game finish here is to rid ourselves of this cult, but in the mean time, how the h@!# are we supposed to avoid falling objects?

The party is made up of a lot of fey (pixie, grig, satyr, and centaur) a factotum, cleric and two barbs. I should point out that the barbs are a goliath and a half giant. We range between levels 3-7 and our highest casting abilities are 2nd level arcane and 1st level divine. Having said that, the factotum and two barbarians are fairly well optimized for what they do. I'm thinking hats of disguise in the mean time but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Edit, we summoned the tree with a feather token from 15' above.

Oko and Qailee
2013-02-17, 02:18 PM
I'm gonna be honest, your villain is hilarious.

I mean, if you're constantly looking out for the trees you would get a +2 to spot one and then a +2 circumstance bonus on your reflex save after spotting it. I assume these trees kill you immediately?

sketchtb
2013-02-17, 02:20 PM
20d6 max falling damage, not only trees though, he bought up all kinds of feather tokens... I think we pissed off the gm and now we're paying for it.

TaiLiu
2013-02-17, 02:22 PM
If you notice a tree falling on you, cast Feather Fall on it. It should negate the damage.

You could also improve your reflex saves with magic items.

lsfreak
2013-02-17, 02:31 PM
20d6 max falling damage, not only trees though, he bought up all kinds of feather tokens... I think we pissed off the gm and now we're paying for it.

Obligatory "get a more mature DM" post. As a one-off thing it's kinda funny, anything more than that a) breaks the credibility of any kind of serious campaign (and the villain, there's got to be more effective, less Saturday-morning-cartoon ways of murdering you) and b) is really, really hard to take as anything but the DM throwing a tantrum because you got off the railroad. Talk to him about it and say something like that if you're punished for thinking creatively, he should have told you it's a rail shooter when the campaign started you're not going to have as much fun.

Unless this is fine with you, which it might be. But personally, I'd say being punished repeatedly for doing something unexpected is going to ruin any fun I'm having, which means it's time for a player-to-DM talk.

Fable Wright
2013-02-17, 02:39 PM
Obligatory "get a more mature DM" post. As a one-off thing it's kinda funny, anything more than that a) breaks the credibility of the campaign (and the villain, there's got to be more effective ways of murdering you) and b) is really, really hard to take as anything but the DM throwing a tantrum because you got off the railroad. Talk to him about it and say something like that if you're punished for thinking creatively, he should have told you it's a rail shooter when the campaign started.

I could easily see the villain wanting to pay back the party via falling trees. While there are easier ways, there is little more ignoble than dying because a tree fell on your head. The villain doesn't just want the party dead, he wants them dead in amusing and ignoble ways, if at all possible.

The easiest way is to stay indoors. Trees can't fall on your head if there isn't enough room for them to fall. And while inside, stay away from outcroppings where someone could push a tree out on your head. Barring that, have someone on sentry duty at all times; you have someone watching the road ahead, someone behind, and someone in the middle, rather than twiddling their thumbs, watches the sky for anyone flying past that could drop a tree on you, or just looking for falling trees.

sketchtb
2013-02-17, 04:04 PM
Unless this is fine with you, which it might be. But personally, I'd say being punished repeatedly for doing something unexpected is going to ruin any fun I'm having, which means it's time for a player-to-DM talk.

Well, I'm going to have a chat with him prior to our next meet, its going to get a pc killed, its just a matter of when.

This whole thing is actually pretty comical because we've had to resort on the pixie casting permanent image to create the illusion of a monstrous scorpion to travel. He has given us a bit of a break on the concentration checks (1 per hour of travel) but its going to be tough to stay hidden. As it stands, we're all huddled together doing spots with my factotum waiting ready to cast earthbind to take down any fliers.

Feather fall wouldn't be effective as it just slows the rate of falling to 60'/rd and "if the spell is cast on a falling item, such as a boulder dropped from the top of a castle wall, the object does half normal damage based on its weight, with no bonus for the height of the drop." Still more damage than any character could withstand and falling fast enough that you'd still have to dodge it with a reflex save (assuming its dropped <60'). Besides the range is only 25' +5' / 2lvls.

I wonder if one could ready an action to cast wall of force the moment a tree appears (via ring of forcewall)