PDA

View Full Version : Spellthief + Warlock?...

Scarey Nerd
2013-02-17, 02:17 PM
I'm hoping I'm misreading this. But can a level 5 Spellthief use his "Steal Spell-like Ability" class feature to take as many uses of Warlock Invocations as he can from a willing Warlock in the same party, with the Warlock taking no penalty because there's no limit to his invocation uses?

Xander_Phoenix
2013-02-17, 02:41 PM
No, you are not misreading. It gets even better when you combine Spellthief with Factotum SLA-casting.

8wGremlin
2013-02-17, 02:45 PM
No, you are not misreading. It gets even better when you combine Spellthief with Factotum SLA-casting.

Care to explain that?

Norin
2013-02-17, 03:16 PM
I'm hoping I'm misreading this. But can a level 5 Spellthief use his "Steal Spell-like Ability" class feature to take as many uses of Warlock Invocations as he can from a willing Warlock in the same party, with the Warlock taking no penalty because there's no limit to his invocation uses?

Hahah, this idea cracks me up. Good one.

Lans
2013-02-17, 04:40 PM
Care to explain that?

The wording of the ability makes it awesome for spamming what are normally 1/day abilities

8wGremlin
2013-02-17, 05:01 PM
The wording of the ability makes it awesome for spamming what are normally 1/day abilities

So you need to be a Factotum 3/Spellthief 5, to spam a 1st level spell once every 2 rnds, all day long?

Snowbluff
2013-02-17, 05:08 PM
So you need to be a Factotum 3/Spellthief 5, to spam a 1st level spell once every 2 rnds, all day long?

Suddenly, Warlocks are better than Factoti. :smallbiggrin:

AmberVael
2013-02-17, 05:33 PM

Depends on how you mean "no penalty."

The Warlock won't suffer any lasting penalties from having the ability stolen, but while the Spellthief has the stolen spell-like ability, the Warlock can't use it. And the Spellthief can only keep stolen abilities for 1 minute before they fade, anyway.

Most of the time, you're better off just having the Warlock use their invocations rather than the Spellthief- the Spellthief can only use them once per time they steal them, which takes plenty of actions, and takes the power from the warlock while they have it. Except for very specific situations, you may as well just have the warlock use the ability multiple times instead.

Admittedly, the Spellthief with a willing Warlock can use this to get all of the Warlock's long duration personal buffs, which is very useful, but beyond that the benefit is sharply limited.

Lans
2013-02-17, 05:55 PM

Maybe, depending on whether you can steal from yourself, but ideally one player would be a spell thief and another would be a factotum. Start spamng at level 5 . With second levels coming online the next level

Norin
2013-02-18, 03:09 AM
Hmm, an evil spellthief villain with a chained warlock slave... Muahah, npc ideas forming... :smallamused:

Cranthis
2013-02-18, 04:24 AM
Spellthief//Warlock sounds like a pretty good gestalt actually.