PDA

View Full Version : Update this 3.0 Race?: Aleithian Dwarf

silverwolfer
2013-02-17, 03:15 PM
As quoted from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030926a

Aleithian Dwarf Player Characters

+2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -4 Charisma.
Medium size.
Base speed 20 feet (4 squares).
Darkvision 90 feet.
Stonecunning, as above.
+2 racial bonus on Will saving throws against psionics, including psionic combat.
+2 racial bonus on Fortitude saving throws against all poisons.
Aleithian dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus on Craft skills related to crystal, metal, or stone. (These bonuses are included in the stat block.)
Psionics (Sp): 3/day -- ectoplasmic repair, finger of fire. Manifester level 1st; save DC 1d20 + key ability modifier + power level.
Attack/Defense Modes (Sp): 3/day -- ego whip/empty mind.
Light Sensitivity (Ex): Aleithians are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Automatic Languages: Dwarven and Common. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Terran, and Undercommon.
Favored Class: Psion or Psychic Warrior; determined at character creation.

Now my own personal bit was to maybe change the bolded sections above

+2 Int - 2 charisma

take the old function of attack defense modes, and change it instead to Racial power points of 2.

What do you all suggest?

Tokuhara
2013-02-17, 05:56 PM
My idea is much simpler.

The ability scores aren't that horrible (a total +1 modifier isn't as bad as say Lesser Aasimar from faerun, with a +2 total modifier), and the +2 Con is generic for Dwarf species. If anything, a -2 dexterity isn't unheard of (see Dream, Gold, and Desert) and could be nice if you want a net +/- 0

My bad. I misread the racials. It evens out, considering the Duergar (grey dwarves) have similar racial allotments, but due to their PP, they get 1LA. So no, I feel the Racial Ability Scores if the Aleithian Dwarf is acceptable on a balance point, especially since both of its Racial Favored Classes (Psi Warrior and Psion) are not Charisma-Dependent classes.

As for the Modes, I find this unique among d&d critters in general. Thus, I feel that the Attack/Defense modes should be better defined, not done away with. Plus, Ego Whip/Empty Mind aren't amazing/game breaking powers to be able to manifest 3/day.

So I say for the Modes, have the rules look something like this:

"Aleithian Dwarves are masters of psionic combat and can shift their mind as-needed throughout the day. If the Aleithian Dwarf is making actions during their turn, they may manifest Ego Whip as a PLA. Conversely, during their opponent's turn, when they are threatening the target, they may instead manifest Empty Mind as a PLA. Use of either of these is drawn from a pool of their psionic might and they may use the combined uses of the powers 3 times per day.

Example: Korek is too far away to attack the Mind Flayer with his Dwarven Waraxe and instead chooses to capitalize on his psionic reservoir and manifest his Ego Whip psi-like ability. He may now use either Ego Whip or Empty Mind an additional 2 times this day before having to rest"

silverwolfer
2013-02-17, 10:17 PM
Hmm I like your ideas, the attack /defence is a psi warrior 3.0 thing, that is why you don't see it much.

Flickerdart
2013-02-17, 10:20 PM
Hmm I like your ideas, the attack /defence is a psi warrior 3.0 thing, that is why you don't see it much.
Every psionic character in 3.0 had access to (and was expected to use) attack and defense modes, not just Psychic Warriors.