PDA

View Full Version : Help with Interesting Encounters

ButtSoup
2013-02-17, 03:19 PM
Hey peeps

I've got a campaign I'm working on and I'm looking for some interesting encounter ideas as I've got a bad case of DMer's block. Not really looking for reasons why a party would encounter something... mainly interesting intereactions between a threat and the environment or an obstacle that would add to the encounter. (Like a duskblade on a ship channeling dimmension hop through a whip to port PCs overboard, or the fireball trap and force golem encounter in MM5)

So if you have an idea or have experienced a particularly memorable encounter and you wouldn't mind sharring, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Gildedragon
2013-02-17, 04:08 PM
A triceratops stampede followed by a single tyrannosaurus snatching and eating a PC, running away all but immediately at ~200' round. Got to catch up with it to save a teammate (or track to find and resurrect post digestion).

A dilapidated house in a hostile wilderness surrounded and covered by grotesque statues. Being the only safe resting spot the PCs camp in it. The moment the sun sets the statues turn to ghouls and ghasts; hundreds of them. Pcs have to survive until morning.

Shipwrecked on a sargasso; have to make it across the kelp mat to an intact looking ship; all sorts of watery baddies along the way. Race against time (high heat no water) and weight (have to be light to not break the sargasso)

An encounter with a mirage mullah that wants to keep them as 'pets'. A diplomacy encounter. Sense the threat beneath the hospitality and have to find a way to leave the lavish palace before it vanishes with them. And if they fail they have to figure out how to escape and not be killed by the con damage leaving the oasis entails.

ButtSoup
2013-02-17, 05:19 PM
Nice! I'm pretty excited about the Sargasso.