PDA

View Full Version : Songs what bring a tear to your eye

Piedmon_Sama
2006-11-09, 08:15 PM
OK, everyone (IMO whether they admit it or not) has at least one song that will bring tears to their eyes if they hear it at the right moment. If you are a hard man who is unmoved by petty human emotions, congratulations. You may have the thread off.

Songs that Make Piedmon's Eye Glitter With Feeling

-Space Oddity, by David Bowie (better known perhaps as "Major Tom.")
-Blue Spanish Sky, by Chris Isaak
-Delia's Gone, by Johnny Cash (the ultimate break-up song, this)
-No Leaf Clover, by Metallica (the song that will make you Run on Broken Legs, it's so inspiring.)
-Low Man's Lyric, by Metallica
-Beethoven's 9th Symphony, Movement 4 ("arguably the pinnacle of human invention," may be hyperbole, but not by much.)
-Long Black Train, by Richard Hawley (the ultimate post-breakup-song-song. Thing.)
-Hung Over as the Oven in Maida, by Godspeed You! Black Emperor (the street preacher makes me sad for some reason)
-The Junky, by Neil Young (I think that was the title. Maybe not.)

And well, I know there's more, but there's no way I'll think of them until I post this so I can slap my head and go "d'oh! How did I not think of that!" Post your own. Maybe we'll have some in common.

Midnight Son
2006-11-09, 08:33 PM
Concrete Angel by Martina McBride...Gets me every time.

Ian.of.Donald
2006-11-10, 12:43 AM
Ave Maria, as sung by Charlotte Church
In the News, Kris Kristofferson
Pretty much all the songs on Sea Change, Beck
Silver and Gold, Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros (considering how close to his death he was when he wrote it)
Long Black Veil, as sung by Mick Jagger
just to name a few... I cry easy

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-10, 01:07 AM
The Lighthouse's Tale - Nickel Creek
Don't Take the Girl - Tim McGraw
One Last Time - Dusty Drake
Three Wooden Crosses - Randy Travis
Love, Me - Collin Raye
Live This Life - Big & Rich

Yeah, though I'm only really a casual listener of country its got the most tear jerkers of any genre I've heard.

Destro_Yersul
2006-11-10, 01:12 AM
Yay for country music! Here's mine:
Whiskey Lullaby - Brad Paisley
Riding With Private Malone - David Ball
And I agree with you on "Three Wooden Crosses" That one gets me too.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-10, 01:14 AM
Yay for country music! Here's mine:
Whiskey Lullaby - Brad Paisley
That one just always ticked me off instead of being sad.

smellie_hippie
2006-11-10, 06:57 AM
-The Junky, by Neil Young (I think that was the title. Maybe not.)

That would be Needle an the Damage Done by Neil Young.

As for me, hands down it would be,

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

There is no substitute, accept no others. IMHO I have found that for nearly every possible emotion, there is a Pink Floyd song that will suit it as a soundtrack. I have yet to discover one, and after 25 years of listening I feel I have done a fairly thorough search...

Closet_Skeleton
2006-11-10, 08:46 AM
Hmm... If I ever cried listening to music it would be because I was crying already.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-11-10, 09:02 AM
November Rain by Guns and Roses is a good song. I have a problem hearing lyrics of songs, so I often can't understand what they are about, but I got the general idea in this one.

Very good song indeed.

Serpentine
2006-11-10, 10:49 AM
You Are My Sunshine or whatever it's called, not sure who by. Possibly partly because my mum used to sing it to me when I visited her soon after she left us. Then, of course, a girl I knew in high school had to sing me the ridiculously horribly upbeat version that was the only one she knew and ruin it for me. Gah, but that was awful.

Telonius
2006-11-10, 11:38 AM
Sweet Child of Mine, Guns & Roses
The Wizard, Blind Guardian
Mother, Pink Floyd
Let it Be, The Beatles
Winds of Change, Scorpions
Another Day, Jonathan Larson (from Rent)
Canticle of the Sun, religious (modern version in English)

bosssmiley
2006-11-10, 06:00 PM
"Winds of Change" by the Scorpions.
"Hurt" by Trent Reznor, sung by Johnny Cash.
"My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" by Willie Nelson
"Into the West" by Pippa Boyens and Fran Walsh, sung by Annie Lennox.
"And The Band Played Waltzing Mathilda" by Eric Bogle, sung by The Pogues.

and, here's an odd one, the song "What Is Christmas?" from "Ren & Stimpy's Crock of Christmas". Odd choice I know, but it's *really* sad.

Ian.of.Donald
2006-11-10, 09:01 PM
"And The Band Played Waltzing Mathilda" by Eric Bogle, sung by The Pogues.

Wild, I was listening to this today. By the end, I was crying... very poignant considering the current war.:frown:

Tom_Violence
2006-11-10, 10:23 PM
Ave Maria, as sung by Charlotte Church

Charlotte Church makes me cry too, but for completely different reasons.

Bit of a strange nomination from me, but this one used to get me quite often, purely for personal reasons: Ebroglio by At The Drive In. If you've heard it, you're probably thinking "WTF?" but that's that.

Also, In The Backseat by The Arcade Fire is another worthy mention, for more obvious reasons i.e. that one is actually a sad song. :tongue:

The J Pizzel
2006-11-11, 12:14 AM
"You Are My Sunshine or whatever it's called, not sure who by. Possibly partly because my mum used to sing it to me when I visited her soon after she left us. Then, of course, a girl I knew in high school had to sing me the ridiculously horribly upbeat version that was the only one she knew and ruin it for me. Gah, but that was awful."

If you're referring to "you are my sunshine, my only sunshine - you make me happy when skies are grey....", that would be Sunshine Jimmie Davis. From Louisiana (where i'm from).

WampaX
2006-11-11, 10:09 PM
"Blue" the last song of the last episode of Cowboy Bebop.

The first time I listened to it on the soundtrack . . . I made it a few lines in and then had to skip the track entirely. Took me a while to actually listen to it all the way through (didn't even try while driving for while longer than that).

ElfLad
2006-11-11, 10:11 PM
Hear You Me - Jimmy Eat World.

Serpentine
2006-11-12, 07:59 AM
If you're referring to "you are my sunshine, my only sunshine - you make me happy when skies are grey....", that would be Sunshine Jimmie Davis. From Louisiana (where i'm from).
Yup, that's the one. Is that, Sunshine by Jimmie Davis? I've never actually heard a recording of it, by the way, just my mum's singing of it.
I think I agree with "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda", although I've never heard it all the way through, just on ads and the like. Which rather cheapens it, really.

Logic
2006-11-12, 09:19 AM
Hurt-Performed By Johnny Cash
The Ballad of Ira Hayes-Written and Performed by Johnny Cash
The Man in Black-Written and Performed By Johnny Cash
Be Like That-3 Doors down

Nothing else comes to mind, but I know I tear up to more than this short list.
I'm an old softy. :'(

Timberwolf
2006-11-12, 09:20 AM
I'm with you on "You are my sunshine". Also, "Born Slippy" by Underworld gets me feeling really lonely and depressed every time I hear it. "Voices" from Macross Plus is another emotional track for me as well.

SDF
2006-11-13, 07:23 AM
Stand Inside Your Love by The Smashing Pumpkins, it is also, IMHO, the greatest love song of all time.

Fat Daddy
2006-11-13, 10:36 PM
The little girl - John Michael Montgomery
That one always makes me tear up.

Right now (my daughter just turned 2 and my 2nd daughter is due to be born and a couple of weeks) these ones make me wipe the corners of my eyes:

My little girl - Tim McGraw
I loved her first - Heartland

Just thinkin' about my little princesses growin' up really gets me emotional.

twerk_face
2006-11-13, 10:52 PM
For me, the old song that goes:

"when irish eyes are smiling...."

i cant quite remember the rest of the specific lyrics, but that one gets me sometimes.

o! another: "all you need is love"-the beatles

thats it for me right now.

WoDHells
2006-11-13, 11:36 PM
Well, you won't know this song for sure: El Abuelo (The Grandfather), by Alberto Cortez. It's in Spanish, and he tells the tale of his Spanish grandfather, of how he got to a new country and how he lived his life working and forming a family and how he finally dies without getting back to his homeland.

Even if my Grandpa is not from a foreing country and even if he's still alive, this song is a very good analogy to his life, and it makes me cry every time I hear it. It's been so for like 10 years..

Samiam303
2006-11-14, 12:54 AM
A Better Place, A Better Time by Streetlight Manifesto.

There are a good few, but that's the main one here.

Roland St. Jude
2006-11-14, 01:00 AM
Top three:
Lilac Wine (Jeff Buckley's version)
Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley's version)
Amazing Grace (this song can be uplifting or depressing depending on what kind of mood I'm already in)

Oh, and half the Jim Croche record, Photographs and Memories!

Lord Iames Osari
2006-11-14, 01:12 AM
"Into the West" by Pippa Boyens and Fran Walsh, sung by Annie Lennox.
"And The Band Played Waltzing Mathilda" by Eric Bogle

Hell yes. Also "May It Be" and "Gollum's Song". *sniff*

Sundog
2006-11-14, 03:45 AM
Amazing Grace
The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mr Bojangles by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Too Much Love Will Kill You by Queen.

InaVegt
2006-11-14, 08:40 AM
I know neither the song nor the one who sung it but it's one that's commonly played when someone has died over here.

GeeVee
2006-11-14, 09:04 AM
Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead. If I'm feeling down to begin with, this song will make me break down in tears.
Bach's Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major, BWV 1068, also known as Air on the G string, always touches me, because it was played at my grandmother's funeral.

Moribundus
2006-11-14, 10:28 AM
'The Elgar Cello Concerto' as played by Jacqueline Du Pre

'Where the Wild Roses Grow' By Nick Cave & Kate Bush

'The Blood of Cu Chulainn' By Jeff and Mychael Danna

'The Journey to Fort Sedgewick' By Jeff Barry

and Bob Dylans 'Watchtower' and 'Hurricane'

edit- 'Strange Fruit' --Billy Holiday

Athelgar
2006-11-14, 07:45 PM
'Lean On Me' (The Temptations version since its the only one i'v ever heard) has always made me think of a few friends of mine that this really applies to.

Lianae
2006-11-14, 08:12 PM
Oh man, where do I start?!
Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls
Wonderwall by Oasis
All My Love by Zep
Are You the One That I've Been Waiting For? Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Fall At Your Feet - the Claire Bowditch cover especially
...to name a few

ZombieRockStar
2006-11-14, 10:05 PM
"Mad World" — the Gary Jules cover. This is the only one 100% guaranteed to get me going.
"Desolation Row" — Bob Dylan
"Bridge Over Troubled Water" — Simon & Garfunkel
"One Tin Soldier" — Coven
And, of course, "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" as covered by Nirvana.

Ego Slayer
2006-11-14, 10:39 PM
I've got one pitiful little song I can think of.

"Through Glass" - by Stone Sour.

EDIT: Electrical Storm, by U2.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-11-14, 10:48 PM
"Hallelujah" - Rufus Wainwright's cover.

For the girl I should have married...

Tom_Violence
2006-11-14, 11:21 PM
There are a couple I would like to add to my list:

First up, This Must Be The Place by Talking Heads. Hear it, enjoy it, and consider your life enrichened.
Secondo, I Know It's Over by The Smiths, because if you can't be moved to depression by a Smiths song then clearly you have no heart to begin with.

Also, just to clarify - did someone say that The Gambler moves them to tears?

"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em" etc. All that song can do to me is make me dance in a stupid fashion.

Midnight Son
2006-11-15, 06:08 PM
Anything by Ashlee Simpson, but not the good kind of tears. These are tears of excruciating pain.

Piedmon_Sama
2006-11-15, 06:22 PM
"Blue" the last song of the last episode of Cowboy Bebop.

The first time I listened to it on the soundtrack . . . I made it a few lines in and then had to skip the track entirely. Took me a while to actually listen to it all the way through (didn't even try while driving for while longer than that).

Oh man, you're right. I can't believe I forgot about that song---one of the hardest songs I ever had to listen to, but definitely in a good way. Yoko Kanno did the best work of her career on Cowboy Bebop, no other ending to an anime has affected me so strongly. I was in tears when I heard it the first time, after the end of the series finale.

Bluesilver
2006-11-15, 06:34 PM
Music video (a fan-made) of " Youth of the Nation" by P.O.D.

Ego Slayer
2006-11-15, 07:16 PM
Anything by Ashlee Simpson, but not the good kind of tears. These are tears of excruciating pain.

Whoa, careful. You almost gave me a heart attack.:smalleek: :smallwink:

Baerdog7
2006-11-15, 07:26 PM
"The Funeral" by Greg Edmonson from the Firefly soundtrack always gets me. There are other songs that will get me sad or pensive or even move me to tears, but that one always seems to make me cry.

-Baerdog7

Mephibosheth
2006-11-15, 10:35 PM
I'm going to have to second VT on the tear-jerking power of Nickel Creek. For me, "The Hand Song" takes the cake as one of the most touching and bittersweet songs of all time. Makes me mist up every time. Running close behind are "Black is the Color" and "Mary's Eyes," both by Gaelic Storm (or at least, the versions I know).

Mephibosheth

Sundog
2006-11-16, 01:20 AM
Also, just to clarify - did someone say that The Gambler moves them to tears?

"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em" etc. All that song can do to me is make me dance in a stupid fashion.

And somewhere in the darkness,
That old gambler he broke even,
but in his final words I found an Ace that I could keep.

The wisdom of the old, passed on to the needy - yeah, it moves me.

'Where the Wild Roses Grow' By Nick Cave & Kate Bush

Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue, actually.

Serpentine
2006-11-16, 08:46 PM
Kate Bush, didn't she do Babushka? Of course, Kylie did The Locamotive, so it's not really saying much.

Leon
2006-11-21, 01:40 AM
Lest We Forget - The Waif's

Oeryn
2006-11-21, 01:37 PM
I gotta second "Bridge Over Troubled Water". That one gets me almost every time.

I used to live in Austin, TX, and there was a pretty big local music scene there. A fella named Mike Graham sang a song called "Dance with a Memory", which was about an old lady who used to come to the dance hall, and he finally asked her why. There's one verse that always gets me.

We used to dance every Friday
At the hall down the road
Until it burned down,
Just ten years ago

And ol' Sam, he left, too
Not long after that
Just let out a breath,
And laid his head in my lap.

So now I come here
More from habit than need
And I dance with my Sam
'Cept now I have to lead.

And it does get lonely
Without my man
But I know a few Fridays,
We'll be partners again.

Kills me.

Khantalas
2006-11-21, 05:06 PM
Any song by Dus Sokagi Sakinleri (no, you haven't heard of it, don't try too hard)
Pale, Somewhere, Memories, The Swan Song, Perfect Harmony, Our Farewell, Wish You Were Here and Bittersweet by Within Temptation
Sirene by Tristania
Spiders, Lonely Day and Soldier Side by System of a Down
Shape of My Heart by Sting
Broken by Seether (Amy Lee? Who's that?)
Fun It by Queen
Time and Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
The Crown and the Ring by Manowar
No Bravery by James Blunt
Over the Rainbow by Israle Kamakawiwo'ole
100 Years by Five for Fighting
Breathe No More by... You can't make me say it! No way! Let go of me!
Hotel California by Eagles
Bad Day by Daniel Powter
Daffodil Lament by The Cranberries
Winding Road by Cem Koksal
In the Deep by Bird York
Landing in London by 3 Doors Down
Simple and Clean by Utada Hikaru

...and...

Any song by Britney Spears. Though in a whole different category.

Winter_Wolf
2006-11-25, 04:00 AM
Louis Armtrong singing "What a Wonderful World" gets me every time. It depresses the hell out of me.

Diakos
2006-11-25, 04:49 AM
That would be Warmen with their version of Heart's "Alone"
Man that song makes me emo 9/10 times i hear it...

Edit: Ooh forgot "Eyes on me/you" from ff8 by Fae Wong

Dispozition
2006-11-25, 07:20 AM
Final Fantasy X main theme - Nobuo Uematsu
Adams Song - Blink 182
Kenji - Fort Minor
Beautiful world - Coldplay

Om
2006-11-26, 04:11 PM
Probably the only song to bring me near to tears would be Time to Say Goodbye by Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli. I'll admit that listening to this on the windswept terraces of Lansdowne Road this afternoon was an emotional moment for me.

Reiku
2006-11-26, 04:15 PM
"The Real Folk Blues" by Yoko Kanno

Although I only start to tear up when I sing it.

reorith
2006-12-01, 10:43 PM
sober by tool
weak and powerless by a perfect circle
3 libras by aperfect circle
burden in my hand by soundgarden
like a stone by audioslave
be yourself by audioslave
black by pealjam
outside by staind
the diary of jane by breaking benjamin
in time by mark collie

Glinelen
2006-12-03, 02:11 AM
Louis Armtrong singing "What a Wonderful World" gets me every time. It depresses the hell out of me.

This song makes me sad ever since I played Fallout.
Yet, the one that moves me the most is "Forver young" by Alphaville

Let us die young or let us live forever
We dont have the power but we never say never...

McDeath
2006-12-05, 07:30 AM
"Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2.
"Rosenrot" by Rammstein.
"Biohazard" by...I don't know.

General Leitmann
2006-12-05, 01:21 PM
Okay, well, I'd say mine would definately be a Pink Floyd song. (They are, IMO the greatest band ever)

It's kinda hard to decide, so here's a couple;

Song Album

Echoes - Meddle
Comfortably Numb - The Wall
Coming Back to Life - The Division Bell

Khantalas
2006-12-05, 01:24 PM
Second best IMHO. Black Sabbath just is better.

Of course, can't beat Time, or Wish You Were Here, but still...

Talon_McScruffles
2006-12-05, 01:27 PM
I have three, with an explanation following each one.

1. Long Live the Czar: This song used to be the national anthem, when Russia was ruled by the Czars before it turned into the Soviet Union at the hands of the communists. It is absolutely beautiful, poigniant. Plus, it is a reminder of Russia's former glory under the Czarist rule. If anyone's seen Nicholas and Alexandria, they should know what I am talking about.

2. Hurt (sung by Johnny Cash): This song just souunds melancholy.

3. Send in the Clowns: I know this sounds weird, but I almost cry when I hear this song. I'm just sentimental.

Stumpydave
2006-12-05, 04:17 PM
"Tie a yellow ribbon" always gets me when he sees the tree is festooned in the things. And Barber's (sic?) Adagio for Strings. You can blame Homeworld for that one.

Hexa_Regina
2006-12-05, 04:38 PM
"The Road to Rome" and "The Valkyrie" by anonymous SCA bard.
You guys probably haven't heard these and may never hear them, but they always get me. "The Road to Rome" is sung in perspective of a young Celtic woman who's lover has gone off to war and gets killed, and then is reincarnated as the son she was pregnant with by him when he left. "The Valkyrie" is based on a true story about a man who goes to the SCA Pennsic War and, after the field battle is over is given water by a beautiful lady whom he instantly falls in love with but is sadly unable to find and talk to before the war is over and everyone goes home. All year long until the next Pennsic, he thinks about her and hopes that he can find her and then arrives at the war the next year to find out that she got married during the intervening year. Out of respect for her marriage, he talks to her but doesn't pursue her and she gives him a lock of her hair, which he carries with him into battle ever afterward.

Lidjis
2006-12-05, 10:53 PM
coldplay- fix you
U2- Where the streets have no name, All I want is you, Bad
Flaming Lips- Do you realize?

Talon_McScruffles
2006-12-06, 02:21 PM
And Barber's (sic?) Adagio for Strings. You can blame Homeworld for that one.

Yes. Damn those Taidani. You're talking about that homeworld, right? Or is it Homeworld: Cataclysm? Ah well. Both had good music. And gameplay. And graphics. And...

...everything.

Tom_Violence
2006-12-08, 09:01 PM
And Barber's (sic?) Adagio for Strings. You can blame Homeworld for that one.

Most of us blame Platoon, but each to their own. :smallwink:

Arang
2006-12-09, 05:07 PM
Into the West and And Now We Are Free have a tendency of doing.

QuiGonJ
2006-12-14, 12:45 AM
"When September Ends" by Green Day.
They played this a lot last year after Katrina hit. I'm originally from South Louisiana and whenever I hear this song, it makes me think about what happened and what was lost.

Manga Shoggoth
2006-12-14, 04:00 AM
"Sometimes when we touch". I don't know who wrote or performed it.

OK, it's no excuse, but at the time I was working abroad (In Atlanta, Georgia), missing my girlfriend, and this came over the radio. It is very unusual for me to be the slightest bit romantic, but it got me at a very bad time.

And it is played incessently at wedding breakfasts too. Alongside the (highly inappropriate) "I will survive", I might add.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2006-12-14, 03:10 PM
I doubt many of you guys are classical fans but perhaps the most melancholy song ever is Bach's
Sonata Op.27 No.2

"Moonlight Sonata"

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-14, 05:56 PM
Emergency Trap by Mogwai, Tears of Ice by Stratovarius, and The Ecstasy of Gold by Ennio Morricone, due to the sheer beauty of all those songs.

Kallisto
2006-12-14, 06:11 PM
"Sometimes when we touch". I don't know who wrote or performed it.

Dan Hill :) In 1978. Check out youtube for a vid... I never would have thought that face could sing like that ^^

Thistle
2006-12-14, 06:52 PM
Not sure of where all these songs come from so bear with me.

Sunrise Sunset
Hush-a-bye Mountain
Like an Angel Passing Through My Room- Abba
Once Upon a December, Reminiscing With Grandma, Finale- the Anastasia soundtrack
O! Holy Night
Edelweis, I Wonder as I Wander- as done by Elisabeth Von Trapp
It's in the Rain, A Moment Lost, Water Show the Hidden Heart, Day Without Rain, Fallen Embers, Shepards Moon, Watermark, The Memory of Trees- big fan of Enya if you can't tell
Abide with Me Tis Eventide
Lothlorien, Into the West, Evenstar- LoTR soundtracks
Song of Lebennin, Elbereth Gilthoniel, Song of the Ents- Night/Dawn in Rivendell
The Highwayman, Dante's Prayer, Carrighfergus, The Dark Night of the Soul, Full Circle, Prospero's Speech, The Old Ways, Cybeline- Loreena McKennit
Wishing You were Here- Phantom of the Opera
You'll be in my Heart- Tarzan

Starla
2006-12-14, 07:51 PM
Butterfly kisses

Especially the part when he sings about walking her down the isle...
Just the thought of it chokes me up.

Midnight Son
2006-12-14, 08:17 PM
Butterfly kisses

Especially the part when he sings about walking her down the isle...
Just the thought of it chokes me up.One more girl off the market. Makes me cry too.:smallwink:

Khantalas
2006-12-16, 07:22 AM
I doubt many of you guys are classical fans but perhaps the most melancholy song ever is Bach's
Sonata Op.27 No.2

"Moonlight Sonata"

Never listened to Bach's Sonata Op. 27 No. 2, but Le Clair de Lune is a good composition. Hell, it's fantastic.

5th is good, too.

Now, a few songs I've forgotten:

Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo
When the Eagle Cries by Iced Earth (really don't know why)
Oh Danny Boy by whoever happens to be singing it
Hope Leaves by Opeth
Mother by Pink Floyd
Leaving New York by REM

sapphail
2006-12-16, 08:23 AM
"Rosenrot" by Rammstein.

Rosenrot? Why that in particular? That song's pretty upbeat compared to a lot of their other stuff. I'd more likely go for Nebel - if the intro didn't send me off to sleep. :smallwink:

SilverElf4
2006-12-16, 10:53 AM
Overcome by Live.

When its done right, the hymn "Come Thou Font of Every Blessing" will do it too.

nifty>>virago<<
2006-12-16, 10:57 AM
"Hurt" by Christina Aguilera:frown:...
every now and then when I allow myself to be sad... [[which is rare because I find it to be a major weakness...]] if I hear this song my eyes will tear up and I usually have to smack myself so that I wont because crying is only for little girls...

Midnight Son
2006-12-17, 10:53 AM
"Hurt" by Christina Aguilera:frown:...
every now and then when I allow myself to be sad... [[which is rare because I find it to be a major weakness...]] if I hear this song my eyes will tear up and I usually have to smack myself so that I wont because crying is only for little girls...I'm 6'5" and weigh about 280. That said, Who you callin' a little girl? Both recent songs by the name of Hurt tend to get to me.

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-17, 11:15 AM
Epilogue [For Lisa] by Shawn Lane makes me cry from time to time.

Tom_Violence
2006-12-17, 04:34 PM
Sonata Op.27 No.2

"Moonlight Sonata"

Beethoven's, actually. :wink:

And Claire de Lune is by Debussy.

Delcan
2006-12-17, 11:59 PM
Four contemporary pieces come to mind.

'39 by Queen. A ballad of the Volunteers, who set out from their homelands in search of new worlds, and for the sake of duty abandoned everything they ever loved. Tears of memory, shed for the lost.

No Way Out by Peter Gabriel. Watching the one you love die in front of you while you plead for them to hang on. Tears of despair, shed for the end of both your lives as you know it.

How Did You Find Me Here by David Wilcox. Being pulled back from the brink of ending yourself, by a person who loves you. Tears of shame for being found the way you are, and of relief for being saved from yourself.

Everybody Hurts by R.E.M. Words of sympathy, a song of hope, and an anthem for every living thing. Tears of solace, shed for everyone who has ever pained, because we're all in it together, and you're not alone.

It doesn't matter if you're a little girl, a grown man, or the toughest son of a gun alive; everybody hurts sometimes, as the song says. It helps to let it out sometimes, or just to touch it with stories or songs or anything else and know it's there. Show me a person who never cries, and I'll show you a person who is incomplete. Let it go, and never be ashamed that you feel pain.

Sereno
2006-12-19, 01:51 PM
"(Letters from) Kilkelly" - it's a series of letters from an Irish family to their son, who's moved to America. 1860 through 1892. Very, very sad.

"A chantar m'er de so qu'ieu non volra" - sung by Sinfonye - a 12th Century troubadour song, written by the Comtessa de Dia, about a woman treated poorly by her lover.

The very end of "The Dark Night of the Soul" by Loreena McKennitt.

Of course, there's Barber's "Adagio for Strings Op. 11".

Itzahk Perlman playing the theme from "Schindler's List"....

There's lots of them ... I find a lot of music affects me....

Amotis
2006-12-19, 02:53 PM

Yes...Oh God yes...

JabberwockySupafly
2006-12-19, 10:17 PM
I'm confident enough in my testosterone levels to contribute to this one. The songs that make me want to cry, or at least hit me in the heartstrings, have got to be:

Flogging Molly - The Son Never Shines (On Closed Doors)

(and yes it is Son, not sun).

Counting Crows - Raining in Baltimore, Mrs. Potter's Lullaby, & Colorblind

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
and strangely enough...
Incubus - Wish You Were Here

Same name, completely different songs, but still evoke the same sensations.

There are more, but I really can't think of them off the top of my oddly-shaped head.

Amotis
2006-12-20, 03:47 PM

Listen (http://youtube.com/watch?v=T1i_2HYmJkA). A very good version.

Thes Hunter
2006-12-20, 04:25 PM
Dust in the Wind - Kansas
How Soon is Now? - The Smiths
Fear and Love - Morcheeba
Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead
Dead Man's Hill - Indigo Girls
Is There Anybody Out There - Pink Floyd (partially due to the scene in the movie)
If You Go Away - Ambulette
Stars - Brian Lillie

Axl_Rose
2006-12-20, 10:17 PM
Space Oddity, by David Bowie (better known perhaps as "Major Tom.")What kind of a moron refers to the title of Space Oddity as Major Tom? Honestly. Anyways, that's a nice song, can be quite catchy heh. Never really brought a tear to my eye though =/

Sweet Child of Mine, Guns & RosesReally? I always loved that song as a feel-good kinda thing. She's got eyes of the bluest skies and if they... ahem ok. :D

Let it Be, The Beatles Classy stuff. Didn't really bring a tear or anything tho.

Fake Plastic Trees by RadioheadYeah, Radiohead does make some melodramatic stuff. Btw I also have a studio recorded acoustic version of Fake Plastic Trees if anyone wants.

Anyways Radiohead was just a fad for me. I was interested in them, got most of their discography from Bends to Ok Computer, but then I got bored like in like a month's time.

@ The guy who said Moonlight Sonata was the most melancholic thing. It's not. I've heard and played it before (The first and second movement anyways, the third one's just mad lol) and so believe me when I say that I'm objective when I say it is most certainly NOT the saddest tune out there.

Back on subject; here are some REAL tearjerkers.

Muse - Unintended

Eric Clapton - Layla (The Piano Coda at the end)

Radiohead - Creep

Aerosmith - You see me Crying

The Beatles - Sexy Sadie

Heart - Alone

No Doubt - Don't Speak

Guns n Roses - Rocket Queen (The last part)

Motley Crue - New Tattoo

Pensive Pine
2006-12-20, 11:16 PM
I don't generally tear up over a song unless I'm feeling nostalgic, and then it's usually just a mist. But tonight I was watching a special on all the Bing Crosby Christmas specials, and they showed a snippet where he was telling the story of the little match girl to his children, all while "Where is Love" played in the background. That startd to get me choked up, but the dams burst loose when, once the story was over, his daughter started singing "Where is Love" while a ballerina interpretively danced the story (including an interpretive death). It took three tissues to clear out my nose after that.

Scorpina
2006-12-20, 11:22 PM
Perfect Day - Lou Reed
These Exiled Years - Flogging Molly
For My Fallen Angel - My Dying Bride
Sleeping Sun - Nightwish

Amotis
2006-12-21, 02:29 AM
I've heard and played it before (The first and second movement anyways, the third one's just mad lol) and so believe me when I say that I'm objective when I say it is most certainly NOT the saddest tune out there.

The third movements a bitch to play! Ahhh!

Trog
2006-12-21, 02:34 AM
Currently:
And So It Goes - Billy Joel

In the Past:
The Stairs - INXS
Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day

Always Will:
Cats in the Cradle - Harry Chapin

Tom_Violence
2006-12-21, 09:41 AM
Listen (http://youtube.com/watch?v=T1i_2HYmJkA). A very good version.

Nice work. Excellent version. Wish I could play like that! And, is that the John Williams?

@ The guy who said Moonlight Sonata was the most melancholic thing. It's not. I've heard and played it before (The first and second movement anyways, the third one's just mad lol) and so believe me when I say that I'm objective when I say it is most certainly NOT the saddest tune out there.

Tragically, the mere fact that you've heard and played the piece does not make you 'objective' when it comes to judging how melancholic it is. "I've watched and played football before and thus I can objectively say that it is the best sport ever." "I've flown and flown in an aeroplane from London to New York and thus I can objectively say that it is NOT currently the quickest method of trans-Atlantic transport." It just doesn't work that way.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-12-23, 01:06 AM
Forever Yours -Nighwish
Eve -Dream Theater
(original Album version) My Immortal -Evanescence

Amiria
2006-12-23, 01:36 PM
Bells For Her - by Tori Amos
Burn - by The Cure
Enjoy The Silence - by Depeche Mode
Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye
Kein Zurück - by Wolfsheim
Lovesong - by The Cure
Nightfall - by Blind Guardian
One - by U2
Promises - by The Cranberries
The Bard's Song (In The Forest) - by Blind Guardian
The Host Of Seraphim - by Dead Can Dance
The Show Must Go On - by Queen
The Wind That Shakes The Barley - by Dead Can Dance
Wish You Were Here - by Pink Floyd

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-23, 06:36 PM
The Bards Song is awesome. It is one of my favourite Blind Guardian songs.

Scorpina
2006-12-23, 06:57 PM
Mordred's Song is better.

Oooh, I get to see Blind Guardian in August!

Khantalas
2006-12-23, 07:04 PM
At this moment, all songs bring a tear -well, more tears anyway- to my eye.

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-23, 09:41 PM
I hate living where I live- there are no specialty music stores with good metal bands, and the major music store around here just sells mainstream trash. So I have to use Limewire, and I cannot even get the one song I want off of it reliably. It sucks, majorly.

Amotis
2006-12-23, 09:44 PM
Nice work. Excellent version. Wish I could play like that! And, is that the John Williams?

Tragically, the mere fact that you've heard and played the piece does not make you 'objective' when it comes to judging how melancholic it is. "I've watched and played football before and thus I can objectively say that it is the best sport ever." "I've flown and flown in an aeroplane from London to New York and thus I can objectively say that it is NOT currently the quickest method of trans-Atlantic transport." It just doesn't work that way.

Hehe I assume you mean the John Williams of Star Wars? Nope...but haha wouldn't that be awesome?

And you make a good point. But I think he was alluding to the fact that most people only know the first movement and a make a decision on that.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-12-23, 10:54 PM
Joey by BonJovi. It is soooooooo sad.

Tom_Violence
2006-12-23, 11:48 PM
Hehe I assume you mean the John Williams of Star Wars? Nope...but haha wouldn't that be awesome?

And you make a good point. But I think he was alluding to the fact that most people only know the first movement and a make a decision on that.

Indeed I did mean The Man Himself. Alas. That truely would've been excellent though. Next they'll have Chewie doing Ave Maria...

As for the second point, I agree, but I still think its borderline elitest to say to people 'Yes, you may think you know this piece, and you may think it very sad and moving, but you're wrong and uneducated.' I myself am a fan of classical music and I find that attitudes like that keep the genre from a multitude of others that would very much enjoy it.

Portent
2006-12-23, 11:55 PM
There are several that either make me down with sadness or fill me with horrific rage at the sense of powerlessness that sadness brings to me. Either or.

Angie Aparo, "Wonderland."

Sarah Brightman, "Eden."

Johnny Cash, "Hurt."

Evanesence, "Fields of Innocence."

Nightwish, "Dead Boy's Poem."

Pachelbel, "Canon in D."

Rammstein, "Engel." (don't understand a word of German, but I like the sound of it)

Rammstein, "Spielhur." (ditto)

Staind, "It's Been a While."

Come to think of it, I heard all of these songs in Neon Genesis Evangelion AMV's, heh. I'm sure the videos (and the fact that I saw the entire series, plus movies, in a single sitting) went a long way towards me being influenced by these songs (although they are assuredly good in their own right).

Logic
2006-12-24, 02:40 AM
If you are going to mention Rammstein, "Mein Herz Brent" (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wEuiqmRlViw) (My Heart Breaks) should make a tear or two well up.

Amiria
2006-12-24, 04:11 AM
@^ It is "Mein Herz brennt" and in English it means "My Heart burns"[/teutonic pedantry] :smallwink:

Logic
2006-12-24, 06:40 AM
Uh-oh, I've had my German corrected by a real Deutchlander.
*Hides*

Midnight Son
2006-12-24, 09:45 AM
I hate living where I live- there are no specialty music stores with good metal bands, and the major music store around here just sells mainstream trash. So I have to use Limewire, and I cannot even get the one song I want off of it reliably. It sucks, majorly.And none of the countless online sales sites are willing to ship to your house either. It just totally sucks.

Tom_Violence
2006-12-24, 09:59 AM
@^ It is "Mein Herz brennt" and in English it means "My Heart burns"[/teutonic pedantry] :smallwink:

I once heard that if you ever meet a German-speaker who likes Rammstein, you ought to back away slowly, then make the quickest break possible for the nearest exit. :tongue: Apparently their lyrics leave one with much to be afraid of.

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-24, 12:20 PM
Midnight: Yeah, allowing the fact that I live in Australia, I am fifteen, have no job, my family has no credit card, and that both my parents are on a pension,our only source of income which is already close to to too little to live on, it is AMAZING that I never thought of that before. Thank you, you have made things all so clear. I do not just use Limewire because I cannot find albums, I use it because I and my family are broke. </sarcasm>

Midnight Son
2006-12-24, 12:38 PM
Midnight: Yeah, allowing the fact that I live in Australia, I am fifteen, have no job, my family has no credit card, and that both my parents are on a pension,our only source of income which is already close to to too little to live on, it is AMAZING that I never thought of that before. Thank you, you have made things all so clear. I do not just use Limewire because I cannot find albums, I use it because I and my family are broke. </sarcasm>I feel your pain, but then have to ask; What good would haveing a decent music store in your area do you?

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-24, 12:55 PM
Not a lot, but I could get a job there, which would serve two purposes at once

Chris the Pontifex
2006-12-24, 06:34 PM
back on topic:

first to agree with some above:
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Are You the One That I've Been Waiting For?
REM - Everybody hurts

The Cure - Lovesong
very good! note that Tori Amos' version is even more melancholic

I've seen some mention Radiohead and although FPT and Creep are good dont forget about Street Spirit (Fade Out)

some suggestions:
Portishead - Roads
Massive Attack - Protection and Better Things
Lamb - Zero and Feela
The Cardigans - We Just Dont Care Anymore
Cat Power - The Greatest

EDIT: even more
Royksopp - Sparks
Moloko - Its nothing
Sigur Ros - (the entire () and Takk albums)

Khantalas
2006-12-24, 07:29 PM
Hmm... the more I listen to them, the more R.E.M. is becoming a favorite band of mine.

D'Artagnan
2006-12-24, 08:04 PM
"Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley
"Amazing Grace" - on bagpipes
"Let It Be" - The Beatles
"Listen To Your Heart" - DHT

Khantalas
2006-12-24, 08:54 PM
Ice Queen by Within Temptation.

I'm sure this song is made to make people cry. It has a romantic meaning and everything.

Yes, it does! Stop calling me "idiot"!

Amotis
2006-12-24, 10:14 PM
Sigur Ros - (the entire () and Takk albums)

Yeah, I agree...Too bad everyone but you and I dub Sigur Ros "make out music" [/hyperbole]

Outside of Classical and off the top of my head:

Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley (A perfect song if there ever was one)
My Immortal, Evenesance (Something weird about it makes it work)
Oh Comely, Neutral Milk Hotel (Right when his voice matches with the horns.)

Scorpina
2006-12-25, 01:52 PM
Ice Queen by Within Temptation.

I'm sure this song is made to make people cry. It has a romantic meaning and everything.

Yes, it does! Stop calling me "idiot"!

Oooh, that song is beautiful....BUT I think I prefer 'Our Farewell'. Always tugs at my emotional handles, does that one.

Khantalas
2006-12-25, 01:55 PM
Pale, Somewhere, Memories, The Swan Song, Perfect Harmony, Our Farewell, Wish You Were Here and Bittersweet by Within Temptation

I just realized I forgot Ice Queen, so I posted it in a seperate post. Otherwise no one would see it.

Scorpina
2006-12-25, 01:56 PM
Ooh, what about 'Angels'? I rather like that one...

Shizuka Magnifico
2006-12-25, 01:58 PM
Frou Frou- Hear Me Out
Goo Goo Dolls- Iris
and "I think we're alone now"

Khantalas
2006-12-25, 01:58 PM
But it doesn't make me misty. It's a good song, though.

Exachix
2006-12-25, 03:57 PM
High Hopes By Pink Floyd.

It's such a sad song...

Tom_Violence
2006-12-25, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I agree...Too bad everyone but you and I dub Sigur Ros "make out music" [/hyperbole]

Nonsense. Its way too laid back. Puts an awful lot of people to sleep.

Dewey
2006-12-25, 09:15 PM
This version of Sunday, Bloody Sunday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9c4lLnY0rA&mode=related&search (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9c4lLnY0rA&mode=related&search=)
really makes you think about that sort of thing.:smallfrown:

Tom_Violence
2006-12-25, 10:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9c4lLnY0rA&mode=related&search (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9c4lLnY0rA&mode=related&search=)

Excellent version. Cheers for posting it. :grin: While I generally hate to hear Bono preach, he does make a very good point. As an Irish man myself it is horrible to hear Irish-Americans (some of which have never even been to the place), or anyone really, try and talk about what's going on there in those terms. The guy has a way with words, for sure, even if he does occasionally sound a bit cheesy.

Dhavaer
2006-12-25, 10:42 PM
One, Metallica
The Grave, Don McLean
Hallelujah, k.d.lang
Father and Son, Cat Stevens

sapphail
2006-12-31, 12:58 AM
I once heard that if you ever meet a German-speaker who likes Rammstein, you ought to back away slowly, then make the quickest break possible for the nearest exit. :tongue: Apparently their lyrics leave one with much to be afraid of.

Not really background music for when the neighbours are over, put it that way. Their lyrical diversions tend to confuse the tabloids and right-wing press, who have, to date, called them gay communist Nazis :smallamused:. Some of their songs are very 'What the wombat?!', though it's mostly done to get a reaction.

Since we're on the topic, I'll cast my vote for 'Mutter'.

PS Agree with your comment on 'Sunday Bloody Sunday'. It's the height of arrogance to make assertions on an issue to which one has only a basic understanding. I've studied recent Irish history but still wouldn't presume to comment as I simply don't have the background to add anything intelligent. Bono can be a tad over-righteous, but at least he knows what he's on about.

Amotis
2006-12-31, 01:38 AM

Acually the radiohead cover of sunday bloody sunday is best. Just Jonny doing a simple riff and thom belting out the song in beautiful hymn style. It's a ballad bono...not a pop song (for those of who have heard the U2 version.)
The crowd sings along, I think theirs a choir invovled...it's just breathtaking.

True Love Waits by Radiohead is also a tearjerker.

How to Disappear Completely by Radiohead is not sad...just meloncolly.

Logic
2007-01-01, 12:19 AM
Ok, 2 3 new ones (new as in I don't ever recall them bringing a tear to my eye before)
Starlight by Muse
One by Metallica
Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin

Dragonrider
2007-01-01, 12:39 AM
I've already seen a couple of these on here....

Into the West, Annie Lennox (I cried for the last half hour of that movie...it would have been embarrassing if half the theatre weren't in the same situation.)
Behind the Veil, Nothin' to See (no one will have heard of that one.)
Father and Son, Cat Stevens (so it's not cool to like Cat. But he's my favorite anyway.)
Joseph's Song, David Hunt
Ruins, Cat Stevens
Either Way, Guster (even my nine-year-old brother singing the same line over and over doesn't ruin this song for me)

SWEET MUSIC!!!

Amotis
2007-01-01, 01:27 AM
Wow, thanks Dhavaer and Dragonrider for showing me that song by Cat Stevens. It's really good. And I guess I'm not cool. Oh well, at least I listen to good music.

Dragonrider
2007-01-01, 01:33 AM
That song (Father and Son) really got me into Cat Stevens. Glad you like it. =)

Amotis
2007-01-01, 01:36 AM
His beard is sexy too. I care not for his conversion, makes him even more passionate in my view. Very cool artist...

Dragonrider
2007-01-01, 01:55 AM
He has a new album out under his new name (Yusuf), called An Other Cup. The first in 28 years!!! Not quite as good as some of the old stuff, but pretty good for a comeback. I'm glad he's making music again.

Amotis
2007-01-01, 01:58 AM
Yeah I listened to some of those. Peace Train is pretty cool. Didn't he have a concert where he played Father and Son with his father who played classical guitar and he sung? I think I remember seeing that on VH1 classic...

Dragonrider
2007-01-01, 02:08 AM
Not sure on that, although I know he did a duet (as the father) with Ronan Keating. Haven't heard it, though.
A funny story about Peace Train...my dad first heard it when he was about ten and thought it was "Peas Train"--he envisioned a string of peas moving along the edge of darkness!!! I was brought up on Cat Stevens, though, I think it's genetically ingrained at this point...

Tom_Violence
2007-01-01, 10:59 AM
I have heard that duet. You're lucky you haven't.