PDA

View Full Version : Atlantean Flintlock [d20 Modern Weapon]

Jarl
2006-11-09, 08:21 PM
Just threw this idea together last night. One of the players joining the group in my next session comes from the "Underworld", a very Neverwhere inspired realm parallel to (and, in fact, usually underneath) the modern world. Since they have different technology down there, but the same kinds of problems, he needs a ranged weapon. Since he's a pirate, I ruled he gets a special flintlock. And since it's a realm of magic, and all the other characters are gonna be getting upgrades to their weaponry too, I figured, you know, what the heck, it's magical.

Atlantean Flintlock

These pistols are made by the last remaining smiths of the sunken island. Forged of Coralite and loaded with alchemically enhanced cartridges, they represent the pinnacle of Underworld personal firearms.

Damage- 2d4 Ballistic
Critical- 19-20
Range- 10 feet
Rate of Fire- Single
Attack Bonus- +1 (Coralite Bonus)
Magazine- 2 Internal (Must **** pistol in order to fire second shot)
Ammo- Atlantean Cartridges (Purchase DC 7, Restriction +2)
Purchase DC- 20
Restriction- +2 (May perform a necessary trial instead)
Size- Small
Weight- 2 lbs
Proficiency- Archaic Weapons (Personal Firearms for denizens of the Underworld)
Special- Atlantean Flintlocks are usually only sold to individuals deemed "worthy" by the Smiths who build them. If bought from an Atlantean Smith, the purchaser may first complete a task of their asking, usually to retrieve more Coralite for the creation of more of the pistols. If the intended purchaser is successful, the restriction is removed. If they are particularly successful in this task, the Smith may instead decide to merely give the pistol away. This quest also allows a person to purchase the ammunition without the restriction.
However, most pistols can be bought from merchants in many of the large Festival Markets scattered across the Underworld. If this is the case, the +2 Purchase restriction is added regardless of quests.

-What say you guys out in internet land? I was also thinking of a shotgun equivalent.

Jarl
2006-11-09, 08:43 PM
Atlantean Shotgun

The Atlantean Guard have used these finely crafted weapons for nearly half a century. Forged by Atlantean smiths out of Coralite, the gleaming weapons can blast a humanoid off its feet at 10 yards.

Damage- 2d12 Ballistic
Critical- 20
Range- 20 feet
Rate of Fire- Single
Attack Bonus- +1 (Coralite Bonus)
Damage Bonus- +1 (Masterwork)
Magazine- 2 Internal
Ammo- Atlantean Cartridges (Purchase DC 7, Restriction +2)
Purchase DC- 22
Restriction- +3 (Military) +2 (May perform a necessary trial instead) +1 (Masterwork)
Size- Large
Weight- 12 lbs
Proficiency- Exotic Firearms
Special- A member of the Atlantean Guard, or a militia associated with the Atlanteans, may requisition an Atlantean Shotgun if allowed. If a non-member wishes to purchase an Atlantean Shotgun, they must go through the traditional purchasing thingy. If purchased from a normal merchant, all Purchase penalties apply. If purchased from an Atlantean Smith, they may perform a task in exchange for a lifting of the +2 restriction.

-Figured I'd stat it out right now, while it's still in my head.

Fax Celestis
2006-11-09, 08:57 PM
Why does the flintlock have the same range as the shotgun?

Jarl
2006-11-09, 09:12 PM
Thought I changed it. Huh.

-It's supposed to be 20.

kakkerlak
2006-11-09, 10:59 PM
actually a flintlock is going to have greater range than a shot gun due to the rounds, also i would give the flint lock at least 2d8 damage if you were looking for somthing a little more realistic in my campaigns the average flint lock rifle has 2d12 damage a range incriment of 150 and a crit of x3 and pistol has 2d10 dmg range incriment of 100 and a crit of x3 it may seem a little high byt so are the prices of these weapons, i based the damage statistics on what other weapons in the game do and the range incriments are based on personal experience. somthing to think about, i mean its a ball of solid lead usually a little more than half an inch in diameter going about 300-500 feet per second.

Jarl
2006-11-09, 11:54 PM
Really? That high? I originally had the pistol doing more damage (3d4 as a matter of fact) but lowered it to keep it within reason.
The range, on the other hand, seems extremely high. Anyone else worked enough with d20 modern to weigh in on flintlock ranges? I checked d20 Past out at the library a while back, and it had flintlocks in it, but I returned it and never got a good look.

-Maybe the online SRD has something about it.

kakkerlak
2006-11-10, 12:04 AM
oh my bad i have a problem with skimming i diddn't see the wealth checks mentioned earlier, i thought you were talking about D&D, i dont know enough about d20 modern to tell you anything for sure but i think there was a core book with rules for 1500's-1800's campaigns you cshould probably look into that. again i appologize

Jarl
2006-11-10, 12:33 AM
It's okay. I mean, it was the title of the thread, but, you know, whatever. No big.
Now, if D&D range means maximum range, then d20 modern range and the DND range you gave are about the same range, which would be a range of about 100 feet, and wouldn't it be cool to be a ranger who had a ranged weapon with this kind of raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange?

-I dunno what happened there. It just got kooky.

Dhavaer
2006-11-10, 03:20 AM
Friendly boards Modern goober weighing in...

There's a whole bunch of flintlocks in d20 Past. The earliest one (1570) does 2d8 damage, 30ft. range, Single shot, 1 int., Large, 14lbs, PDC 21.

Your one, I'm assuming, is double-barrelled, so that would increase the magazine to 2 int. and allow the use of Double Taps without the feat. A more advanced flintlock might have 2d10 damage, up to 40ft. range, and be a few pounds lighter.

Jarl
2006-11-10, 03:35 AM
Does double-barrelling really allow double taps? Huh. I didn't know.

-Also, range is both for balance and because the Atlanteans never developed Rifling, believe it or not. This is supposed to come up when the character's weapons are examined.

Dhavaer
2006-11-10, 03:45 AM
It does, but it's not in the book. There were a whole bunch of mistakes in the firearms section, not least completely omitting the Benelli.

Jarl
2006-11-10, 05:26 PM
Checked my notes, it's single barreled. It needs to be manually cocked to fire the next shot (like a pump-action shotgun).

-I also discovered that dual wielding SMGs is not as easy as the movies make it look.