PDA

View Full Version : Kalashtar in Faerun [3.5]

Tokuhara
2013-02-17, 05:35 PM
Now I know, Kalashtar are as Eberron as Mul are to Dark Sun. However, the other Eberron-exclusive races (Warforged, Shifters, Changelings, and to a lesser extent the Daelkyr Half-Bloods) can be put into any setting and make (some) sense (Shifters in Faerun are children of Lycanthropes, Warforged are Thay's personal army of "rebuildable" soldiers, Changelings are the great spies of Faerun, Daelkyr Half-Bloods are the spawn of creatures from the Far Realm), yet I cannot figure out how to make Kalashtar fit, seeing as how the Quori of Eberron have no Faerun analogue.

So I ask, how could Kalashtar make sense in Faerun without them using Spelljammer shenanigans?

Psyren
2013-02-17, 08:41 PM
Given their fluff (graceful, attractive etc) they'd probably be elves in Faerun; in fact, there are a group of psionic elves in the setting called Kaliesh'erai, which even sounds close to Kalashtar, so you could just slap the Kalashtar racials onto them. Instead of opposing the Inspired they would merely be fighting mind flayers or Yuan-Ti. The quori spirit inside them could simply be dropped.

Tokuhara
2013-02-17, 08:51 PM
Given their fluff (graceful, attractive etc) they'd probably be elves in Faerun; in fact, there are a group of psionic elves in the setting called Kaliesh'erai, which even sounds close to Kalashtar, so you could just slap the Kalashtar racials onto them. Instead of opposing the Inspired they would merely be fighting mind flayers or Yuan-Ti. The quori spirit inside them could simply be dropped.

However, that doesn't explain the "Of two minds" in their personality?

Psyren
2013-02-17, 09:00 PM
However, that doesn't explain the "Of two minds" in their personality?

Where are you getting that? Kalashtar don't have two minds - the Quori spirit is so ingrained into their consciousness that it might as well not be there at all.

"A kalashtar cannot consciously interact with her quori spirit; it is an inherent part of her, not a separate sentience within her mind."

"The quori spirit empowers its host, granting mental power and long life. The quori is not an independent presence; it is an integrated part of the kalashtar's personality."

Since psionic elves have natural mental power and long life already, you can simply dispense with the quori part of it entirely.

Tokuhara
2013-02-17, 09:19 PM
Where are you getting that? Kalashtar don't have two minds - the Quori spirit is so ingrained into their consciousness that it might as well not be there at all.

"A kalashtar cannot consciously interact with her quori spirit; it is an inherent part of her, not a separate sentience within her mind."

"The quori spirit empowers its host, granting mental power and long life. The quori is not an independent presence; it is an integrated part of the kalashtar's personality."

Since psionic elves have natural mental power and long life already, you can simply dispense with the quori part of it entirely.

Well, the thought was for a Kalashtar Telepath (Racial Sub)/Thrallherd.

Psyren
2013-02-17, 09:27 PM
You misunderstand me... I'm not saying don't make the Kalashtar a separate race - I'm saying tweak their background to make them based on psionic elves (the Kaliesh'erai) instead of being based on ancient humans that merged with psychic outsiders from the realm of dreams. "Kalashtar" would still be a separate race (allowing you to use racial subs etc); this would just let you explain their presence in Faerun a bit better since Dal Quor doesn't exist there. It would also let you explain the other fluff aspects to them like their long life, inability to dream and unearthly grace/beauty.

In short, this wouldn't change their crunch at all - it's just refluffing.

Tokuhara
2013-02-17, 09:36 PM
You misunderstand me... I'm not saying don't make the Kalashtar a separate race - I'm saying tweak their background to make them based on psionic elves (the Kaliesh'erai) instead of being based on ancient humans that merged with psychic outsiders from the realm of dreams. "Kalashtar" would still be a separate race (allowing you to use racial subs etc); this would just let you explain their presence in Faerun a bit better since Dal Quor doesn't exist there. It would also let you explain the other fluff aspects to them like their long life, inability to dream and unearthly grace/beauty.

In short, this wouldn't change their crunch at all - it's just refluffing.

Ok. I'm just trying to do it so the DM doesn't have to do any crunch work (giving the Kalashtar the Elf subtype)

Psyren
2013-02-18, 01:22 AM
Ok. I'm just trying to do it so the DM doesn't have to do any crunch work (giving the Kalashtar the Elf subtype)

You actually don't have to do that either (after all, they don't have the human subtype, despite being descended from humans.) Just say that whatever psionic forces they've been meddling with for centuries made them into a new race that breeds true.

The object isn't to change the Kalashtar crunchwise - it's just to come up with a reason why they'd be in Faerun. So to summarize:

- Drop quori backstory
- Use very similarly-named psionic elves as the source material
- Mechanically, use the race as written

That's all there is to it :smallsmile:

Tokuhara
2013-02-18, 01:33 AM
You actually don't have to do that either (after all, they don't have the human subtype, despite being descended from humans.) Just say that whatever psionic forces they've been meddling with for centuries made them into a new race that breeds true.

The object isn't to change the Kalashtar crunchwise - it's just to come up with a reason why they'd be in Faerun. So to summarize:

- Drop quori backstory
- Use very similarly-named psionic elves as the source material
- Mechanically, use the race as written

That's all there is to it :smallsmile:

Alrighty then.

Any potential pitfalls I need to watch out for?

Psyren
2013-02-18, 01:44 AM
Alrighty then.

Any potential pitfalls I need to watch out for?

I'd change their Quor language to Elvish. They also have a racial disguise bonus to impersonate humans - you can decide whether to leave that alone or change it to impersonate elves.

Beyond that, everything else works without alteration.

One thing to be aware of is their mindlink power - it's a PLA, and so grows stronger automatically (including augments.) A high-level Kalashtar can actually link with multiple targets and unwilling targets, but this isn't clearly called out in their racial description.

Tokuhara
2013-02-18, 01:46 AM
I'd change their Quor language to Elvish. They also have a racial disguise bonus to impersonate humans - you can decide whether to leave that alone or change it to impersonate elves.

Beyond that, everything else works without alteration.

One thing to be aware of is their mindlink power - it's a PLA, and so grows stronger automatically (including augments.) A high-level Kalashtar can actually link with multiple targets and unwilling targets, but this isn't clearly called out in their racial description.

I'll have a few words with our DM on this one. I am also worried about Thrallherd being too powerful

Kinsmarck
2013-02-19, 12:09 AM
I'll have a few words with our DM on this one. I am also worried about Thrallherd being too powerful

Heh...don't be. <_<;

Coidzor
2013-02-19, 12:19 AM
I imagine if you can fit Elans (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/elan.htm)into the setting then you can fit Kalashtar in with a variance.