PDA

View Full Version : Is this Boss Balanced?

Angel Bob
2013-02-17, 06:50 PM
I'm new, so I hope this is in the right subforum. In any case: I'm DMing a 4e campaign in which our Level 6 group has decided to quest after a Helm of Seven Deaths, a Rare magic item from Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium. They've heard tell of a Helm belonging to an orcish warlord from centuries ago, which ought to now be lying in his fortress in the North. Of course, it can't be as easy as trekking to the fortress and prying the Helm from his skeleton, so - plot twist! - he delved further into necromancy and now survives as a ghost bound to his armor (similarly to a death knight, but heroic tier).

In building this orc ghost ("Lord Galagrash"), I'm using the homebrewed rules suggested by TheAngryDM here: http://angrydm.com/2010/04/the-dd-boss-fight-part-1/. The article basically suggests replacing solo monsters with three-stage boss monsters, and also adding in tricks to avoid the killer conditions liked prone/dazed/dominated/stunned/etc.

With all TheAngryDM's advice in mind, I've built the following boss monster. The basic concept is that as the fight wears on, his soul-bound armor breaks and shatters into pieces, transforming him from an ironclad warlord to a cowardly ghost trying to run away at any step. He also calls forth the ghosts of his soldiers to aid him in battle. My question, then, is obvious: does Lord Galagrash seem balanced to you rules-savvy guys?

Lord Galagrash Level 9 Boss Soldier (L)
Medium natural humanoid (undead), orc XP 666
HP 131 Initiative +9
AC 25; Fortitude 22, Reflex 19, Will 22 Perception +7
Resist 10 necrotic, Vulnerable 5 radiant
Saving Throws +5; Action Points 1
Speed 6

TRAITS
Iron Resolve
At the start of his turn, Lord Galagrash can make a saving throw against any effect that dazes, dominates, or stuns him, even if the effect is not specified to be ended by a saving throw. If he succeeds on the saving throw, he takes his turn normally.

STANDARD ACTIONS

✟ Broadsword (weapon) ◆ At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +16 vs. AC
Hit: 2d10 + 6 damage, and the target is marked until the end of Lord Galagrash’s next turn.

✝ Heavy Blow (weapon) ◆ At-Will
Hit: 2d10 + 6 damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the start of its next turn.

✝ Leading Blow (weapon) ◆ At-Will
Hit: 2d10 + 6 damage, and one bound soldier adjacent to the target can make a melee basic attack against it as a free action.

MINOR ACTIONS

✸ Call the Horde (summoning) ◆ At-Will
Effect: Lord Galagrash summons a bound soldier in an unoccupied space within a close burst 5. Any bound soldiers summoned by this power act on the same initiative count, directly after Lord Galagrash.

✝ Nasty Trick ◆ At-Will (1/round)
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +14 vs. Reflex
Hit: The target grants combat advantage until the end of Lord Galagrash’s next turn. On a critical hit, Lord Lord Galagrash knocks the target prone.

TRIGGERED ACTIONS

✝ Backhand ◆ At-Will (1/round)
Trigger: An adjacent enemy misses Lord Galagrash with a melee attack
Effect (Immediate Reaction): Lord Galagrash makes the following attack.
Attack: Melee 1 (triggering enemy); +16 vs. AC
Hit: 1d10 + 7 damage.

✸ Rallying Blow ◆ At-Will (1/round)
Trigger: Lord Galagrash hits with his broadsword or nasty trick attack.
Effect (Free Action): All bound soldiers within a close burst 5 can make a melee basic attack as a free action.

✸ Fracturing Armor (necrotic, teleportation) ◆ Encounter
Trigger: Lord Galagrash is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer
Special: Lord Galagrash can use this power even if an effect would normally prevent him from doing so.
Effect (No Action): Lord Galagrash makes the following attack.
Attack: Close burst 1 (enemies in burst); +12 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d10 + 6 damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the start of its next turn.
Effect: Up to 3 squares in the burst become defiled ground, and two bound soldiers appear in unoccupied spaces within the burst. Lord Galagrash teleports 3 squares. After this action is fully resolved, Lord Galagrash is removed from the battlefield and replaced with fractured Lord Galagrash, who rolls initiative and fights normally as a new creature entering the combat.

Skills Diplomacy +13, Insight +12
STR 21 (+9) DEX 13 (+5) WIS 16 (+7)
CON 18 (+8) INT 17 (+7) CHA 18 (+8)
Alignment lawful evil Languages Common, Giant
Equipment plate armor, broadsword, Helm of Seven Deaths

~~~~~

Fractured Lord Galagrash Level 9 Boss Soldier (L)
HP 131 Initiative +9
AC 25; Fortitude 22, Reflex 19, Will 22 Perception +7
Speed 6, teleport 3

TRAITS
Steady Resolve
At the start of his turn, Lord Galagrash can make a saving throw against any effect that dazes, dominates, or stuns him, even if the effect is not specified to be ended by a saving throw. If he succeeds on the saving throw, he takes his turn normally.

STANDARD ACTIONS

✟ Broadsword (weapon) ◆ At-Will
Hit: 2d10 + 6 damage, and the target is marked until the end of Lord Galagrash’s next turn.

✝ Leading Blow (weapon) ◆ At-Will
Hit: 2d10 + 6 damage, and one bound soldier adjacent to the target can make a melee basic attack against it as a free action.

✸ Horde Attack ◆ Recharge 5 - 6
Effect: All bound soldiers within a close burst 5 can make a melee basic attack as a free action.

MOVE ACTIONS

✸ Go Forth, Soldiers ◆ At-Will (1/round)
Effect: All bound soldiers within a close burst 5 can shift 1 square as a free action.

MINOR ACTIONS

✸ Call the Horde (summoning) ◆ At-Will (1/round)
Effect: Lord Galagrash summons a bound soldier in an unoccupied space within a close burst 5. Any bound soldiers summoned by this power act on the same initiative count, directly after Lord Galagrash.

✈ Nasty Trick ◆ At-Will (1/round)
Attack: Ranged 5 (one creature); +14 vs. Reflex
Hit: The target grants combat advantage until the end of Lord Galagrash’s next turn. On a critical hit, Lord Lord Galagrash knocks the target prone.

TRIGGERED ACTIONS

✝ Necrotic Retort (necrotic) ◆ At-Will (1/round)
Trigger: An adjacent enemy misses Lord Galagrash with a melee attack
Effect (Immediate Reaction): Lord Galagrash makes the following attack.
Attack: Melee 1 (triggering enemy); +14 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + 7 necrotic damage.

Effect (Free Action): All bound soldiers within a close burst 5 can make a melee basic attack as a free action.

✸ Shattering Armor (necrotic, teleportation) ◆ Encounter
Special: Lord Galagrash can use this power even if an effect would normally prevent him from doing so.
Attack: Close burst 3 (enemies in burst); +12 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d10 + 7 damage, and ongoing 5 necrotic damage (save ends).
Effect: Up to 6 squares in the burst become defiled ground, and two bound soldiers appear in unoccupied squares in the burst. Lord Galagrash teleports 6 squares. After this action is fully resolved, fractured Lord Galagrash is removed from the battlefield and replaced with ghostly Lord Galagrash, who rolls initiative and fights normally as a new creature entering the combat.

Equipment plate armor, broadsword, Helm of Seven Deaths

~~~~~

Ghostly Lord Galagrash Level 9 Boss Lurker (L)
HP 131 Initiative +9
AC 23; Fortitude 22, Reflex 19, Will 22 Perception +7
Speed 6, teleport 6

TRAITS
Slippery Mind

Bloodied
Ghostly Lord Galagrash is considered bloodied, regardless of his hit point total.

STANDARD ACTIONS

✟ Touch of Strength (necrotic) ◆ At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +12 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + 7 necrotic damage, and Lord Galagrash gains 5 temporary hit points.

✝ Touch of Weakness (necrotic) ◆ At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +12 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + 7 necrotic damage, and one bound soldier adjacent to the target can make a melee basic attack against it as a free action. The target grants combat advantage to the bound soldier.

✸ Horde Attack ◆ At-Will (1/round)
Effect: All bound soldiers within a close burst 5 can make a melee basic attack as a free action.

MOVE ACTIONS

✸ Go Forth, Soldiers ◆ At-Will (1/round)
Effect: All bound soldiers within a close burst 5 can shift 1 square as a free action.

MINOR ACTIONS

✸ Call the Horde (summoning) ◆ At-Will (1/round)

✈ Nasty Trick ◆ At-Will (1/round)
Attack: Ranged 5 (one creature); +14 vs. Reflex

TRIGGERED ACTIONS

✝ Tactical Retreat (teleportation) ◆ At-Will
Trigger: An adjacent ally misses Lord Galagrash with a melee attack
Effect (Immediate Reaction): Lord Galagrash teleports 6 squares.

✸ Vengeful Dissolution (necrotic) ◆ Encounter
Attack: Close burst 5 (enemies in burst); +11 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 4d10 + 7 necrotic damage.

Equipment Helm of Seven Deaths

~~~~~

Bound Soldier Level 9 Minion Soldier
Medium natural humanoid (undead), orc XP 0
HP 1; a miss never damages a minion Initiative +9
AC 25; Fortitude 22, Reflex 19, Will 19
Resist 10 necrotic, insubstantial Perception +6,
Speed 6, fly 6 (hover) low-light vision

TRAITS
Combat Advantage
A bound soldier’s attacks deal 6 extra damage when the bound soldier has combat advantage against the target.

STANDARD ACTIONS

✟ Ghostly Blade (necrotic) ◆ At-Will
Hit: 6 necrotic damage.

STR 21 (+9) DEX 16 (+7) WIS 15 (+6)
CON 18 (+8) INT 7 (+2) CHA 11 (+4)
Alignment chaotic evil Languages Common, Giant

*Oh, another thing to keep in mind: though this isn't a heavily-optimized party, they are highly capable against solos, since most of them are single-target attackers (such as the pursuing avenger who wants the Helm for himself). Hence the minions, to draw some of their fire from Lord Galagrash. Hopefully that helps him survive longer than the dragon they massacred.

**One final thing to consider is that the party also consists of a laser cleric I optimized for the player (new to D&D, so happy to let me handle feats and whatnot). So there's going be plenty of radiant damage and prayers keyed to undead thrown around in the fight; but I don't mind that, so long as it doesn't make this climactic encounter a cakewalk.

Surrealistik
2013-02-17, 07:49 PM
First of all, good on you for going the multi-tier boss route. I've always been a fan of this mode of running especially notable solos. IMO easily the best way to go about it.

Damage output looks to be anemic, at least based on his first iteration. A standard of your boss' level does 17 damage on average (pre-accuracy). 5 total 85 DPR, which is the benchmark for a same level solo/boss. Your boss' first form does at most 50 assuming he's got 2 minions he can attack with:

Minor 2x Call the Horde.
Standard 1x, Broadsword Attack 5.5*2+3 = 14
No Action: 2x Minion Attacks at 60% chance to hit with Broadsword and CA 9*2*.6 = 10.8 damage
Immediate Action, Backhand (40% PC miss chance): 4.5+5 * .4 = 3.8 damage

2x Minion Attacks with CA: 9*2 = 18 damage

Total: 46.6 damage pre accuracy vs 85 damage benchmark.

You need to give him quite a bit more offensive power.

Third, one of the most important elements about multi-tier bosses is that you let your PCs recharge an encounter power or two in between phases. Preferably some change to the battlefield conditions also occurs (maybe gravity is distorted, areas of difficult/deadly terrain appear, psychic anomalies/poison gases materialize, etc). This keeps the fight interesting and dynamic.

Lastly your Boss XP's yield vs a same level Solo also seems to be a bit high; 2400 total vs 2000 normally. Power recharging between phases reduces the the challenge (while keeping it interesting) to the point where the condition removal and free attack each phase is compensated for.

Angel Bob
2013-02-17, 08:12 PM
Many thanks for your input!

On damage: Well, I did use the damage-by-level table in the DMG, and I've heard tell that monster damage as of the first 4E books was a little on the low side. If someone direct me to an updated damage-by-level guideline, that would be helpful. (Alternatively, I could just double most of his attacks' damage, since he seems to be functioning at about 50% damage.)

On XP: Oh, right; the party has 6 PCs, but that doesn't excuse my math goof. That can be easily fixed.

On recharging powers: Also easily fixed; fluffwise, perhaps the PCs receive supernatural rejuvenation by permanently releasing the soldiers' souls from service.

On terrain: Hmm, I hadn't given much thought to that element of the battle (there's a big mistake right there; thanks for catching that!).

My plan is to lead the group through the "Fortress of Bound Souls", a dungeon filled with ice and undead, until they reach Galagrash's tomb... at which point Galagrash reveals that he's not actually dead and begins the fight.

Now the trick is figuring out what might happen to the tomb as the fight wears on. Since the castle is centuries-old and in a state of some disrepair (considering that it's primarily inhabited by ghosts), pillars/parts of the ceiling collapsing makes sense. Perhaps I could reskin the Ruined Wall in the DMG2.

Fantastic terrain has me stymied, though. I'm torn about defiled ground (DMG2), for example. It renders the bound soldiers unkillable unless the PCs use radiant damage or forced movement (assuming the whole battlefield isn't defiled ground). Defiled ground would do a good job of keeping the cleric's lasers and the druid's chill wind away from Galagrash, but would it do too good a job; ie. would it be more annoying than fun?

Poison gas also sounds interesting. I'll keep thinking about battlefield changes. If anyone has any more suggestions, they would also be welcomed.

Surrealistik
2013-02-17, 08:37 PM
Defiled ground doesn't make them unkillable, it allows them a saving throw to not die. Since your minions don't have a death attack, I don't see this being an issue.

Having the first or second iteration of the boss create a sizable zone of this might be cool.

A zone of thick, necrotic fog might also be an idea for another terrain change; 2 consecutive squares block line of sight, and it is heavily obscured. Whenever a creature ends its turn in the fog, it takes 5 or so necrotic damage.

You might also even play with light levels, causing bright light in a zone to become dim light, and dim light to become darkness, or bright light might only cast dim light out to 2-3 squares, and the rest is darkness, etc..

As for the damage calcs, it basically works out to Level + 8 for a Standard. Multiply/divide that accordingly.

Angel Bob
2013-02-17, 08:46 PM
On terrain: Ah, I was recalling defiled ground's effect incorrectly. Thanks, that makes it much less of a gamebreaker, heh. Having Galagrash disperse some makes a lot of sense thematically and gameplay-wise, so I think I'll go with that. The necrotic gas and light levels are great ideas... I'll be thinking about how to implement them as I go about my day tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help. I'll probably update the statblock soon enough.

2-21: Alright, updated stats. Galagrash now uses 17th-level monster damage and sprinkles defiled ground in-between his attacks. I've also added plenty of terrain, chiefly the necrotic fog and crumbling pillars, but I haven't posted it here because I'm confident in its function. Thanks again! :smallsmile: