PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a character [optimize please :) ]

ngilop
2013-02-17, 07:49 PM
Hey guys I signed up for a game and well suffice to say my ability to optimize is roughly as good as WoTC is when they made fighters..

I need helping making a gestalt Wizard5/war mage 5{} Warmage 10

what I need is a baseline to go off of

Originally I was a paladin{}oracle with DMM AoE buffs up, but with the meleers having +48 to hit and a hos tof other equally good abilities

I want to actually contribute so I think that becomming a nuker is what I need to do. Unless a crap ton of seplsl that do a crap ton of damage.

so bascially I need to be optimized to whatever level of optimization that is that nets meleers +48 to attack at level 10

also a way to just focus on my Int being my sole casting stat.

Invader
2013-02-17, 08:27 PM
If the other players in your group have a +48 to hit at level 10 even in a gestalt game, you need cheese not optimization.

Snowbluff
2013-02-17, 08:33 PM
If the other players in your group have a +48 to hit at level 10 even in a gestalt game, you need cheese not optimization.

Invaderk. It must be done.

Elven Generalist, Versatile Spellcaster, Spontaneous Divination ACF/Alacritous Cogitation (wait... do we need this?), and Domain Wizard ACF.

ngilop
2013-02-17, 08:39 PM
Yeah, you say words Snowbluff, and i do not know what you mean.. please explain a little bit more.

and by little i mean full build please and explain how it works.

Urpriest
2013-02-17, 08:44 PM
You shouldn't have Warmage in there. You have two casting classes, with very little that lets you cast two spells in a round. There's no reason to build the character that way.

Instead, try something like Wizard 5/War Mage 5 // Factotum 8/something 2 (maybe more Factotum). Factotum is from Dungeonscape, and gains a variety of int-based abilities, including one that can give extra standard actions, allowing you to pile on the nukes.

Really though, if you've got melee doing so much damage, there's no reason for you to also focus on damage. You should focus on something they're missing, like battlefield control.

ngilop
2013-02-17, 08:47 PM
well here is my opinion on battl field control

why do we need it when the melee can do what I would assumne is hundreds of damage ( with a attack of +48 im only guessing they would do that much damage)

why do some evard blakc tenacte when the melee can go in and whrilwidn attack in a 20'radius with their 48 to hit and do whatever cray amount of dmg theyw ould do

Urpriest
2013-02-17, 08:49 PM
well here is my opinion on battl field control

why do we need it when the melee can do what I would assumne is hundreds of damage ( with a attack of +48 im only guessing they would do that much damage)

why do some evard blakc tenacte when the melee can go in and whrilwidn attack in a 20'radius with their 48 to hit and do whatever cray amount of dmg theyw ould do

Because if the enemy does that first, you all die? Or if there are any enemies left after your allies go off and kill things, and they can do that, you all, again, die? The whole point of battlefield control is, well, control: making sure that the enemies can't use their actions to do anything dangerous while your allies take whatever time they need to kill them, and making sure the battlefield is such that your allies can get to the enemies and kill them.

Invader
2013-02-17, 08:54 PM
If you just want to blast what about some incantrix for the metamagic?

ngilop
2013-02-17, 09:00 PM
Well that would mean the DM would need to optimize to that level, and then I woudl just say this "im out there is no way i would ever ever survive opening a door, let aloen teh first combat encounbter'

Urpriest
2013-02-17, 09:05 PM
Well that would mean the DM would need to optimize to that level, and then I woudl just say this "im out there is no way i would ever ever survive opening a door, let aloen teh first combat encounbter'

If the DM isn't optimizing to that level though, why do you feel you need a more powerful character to contribute? You're playing against the monsters, not your fellow players.

Lostbutseeking
2013-02-17, 09:09 PM
As a matter of idle curiosity, just how are they getting +48 to attack?

Snowbluff
2013-02-17, 09:17 PM
Yeah, you say words Snowbluff, and i do not know what you mean.. please explain a little bit more.

and by little i mean full build please and explain how it works.

You need: Spontaneous Casting (Warmage does this) for Versatile caster.
Domain Wizard ACF, which gives a spell slot per spell level you can cast.
Elven Generalist Wizard, which gives you a spell slot for your highest spells.
Heighten Spell or Warmage Spell list.

You subsume 2 slots to cast a spell 1 level higher (either a heightened spell, or a Warmage one I guess).

For example, at level 1 you can subsume 2 level 1 slots to cast a second level spell. You gain a Domain Slot for level 2, and can prepare a second level general slot.

This lets you subsume 2 level slots to cast a third level spell. Repeating this process will level you cast ninth level spells at level 1.

ngilop
2013-02-17, 09:21 PM
this is why I need top optimize to that level

becuase If I do not player X with his insanely huge numbers is going to go in and faceroll everything we come across

if I am not up to that level then how am I supposed to effectiley contribute to any encounter we face

or too sum it up better in a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw)

now guess who I am in that video.. HINT its not the guy in white....

Snowbluff
2013-02-17, 09:31 PM
No! With the cheese I presented, who are the man in white! The Conjuration Domain has Gate as a spell. You are one Gate away from Chain-Gating Solars!

Invader
2013-02-17, 09:35 PM
You need: Spontaneous Casting (Warmage does this) for Versatile caster.
Domain Wizard ACF, which gives a spell slot per spell level you can cast.
Elven Generalist Wizard, which gives you a spell slot for your highest spells.
Heighten Spell or Warmage Spell list.

You subsume 2 slots to cast a spell 1 level higher (either a heightened spell, or a Warmage one I guess).

For example, at level 1 you can subsume 2 level 1 slots to cast a second level spell. You gain a Domain Slot for level 2, and can prepare a second level general slot.

This lets you subsume 2 level slots to cast a third level spell. Repeating this process will level you cast ninth level spells at level 1.

Don't you have to actually have access to a certain levels spells before you can cast them though?

Snowbluff
2013-02-17, 09:38 PM
Don't you have to actually have access to a certain levels spells before you can cast them though?

Heighten Spell/Warmage spell list gives you spells of X level that you can cast with Versatile Spellcaster. So the answer is no. :smalltongue:

EDIT: The Warmage list is iffy on this. Heighten Spell would be better, depending on how you define "access".

Metahuman1
2013-02-17, 11:09 PM
Ok, here's something insane and flavorful for blowing **** up.

Make a Warfordged Artificer. Get the feats needed to craft traps.

Craft Multiple Traps of Maximized Repair spells, and make them auto resetting traps. Now, build them into your body with the trigger always stuck to activation mode. Every round, you will regain INSANE HP.

Step Two, Craft a ton of Wounderous Items that grant you Immunity to every energy type in the game.

Step three, More traps, built into yourself, with Tones of different Area Effect blasting spells Combined with all kinds of different Metamagic feats (Empowered, Maximized, Widened, Explosive, so on.) and the auto resetting feature and the feature that if you move, it triggers all of them.

Now just remember to keep upgrading those traps and adding too them as you level and to make sure you protect your immunity granting Items.

End result:

You walk were ever centering a blast would be most effective, you disregard taking hits cause at the end of the round you auto recover, and you make your trigger movement and set off enough ka-boom effect to waste everything in the area 9/10 times.

Zman
2013-02-18, 12:08 AM
Ngilop

Doesn't sound like you are going to enjoy the game no matter what. I'd look for a new game as it doesn't fit your play style.

ngilop
2013-02-18, 12:25 AM
probably not :(

it just teh idea of the game sounded so awesome! i mena hello retakign moria is bascially what this is!!

I just will never understand this concept of optimization to that level. /shrug

When I play/DM well first off i say " look im the DM, but im here to guide you and force you, put obstalkce for you to overcome and grow from not to stop you cold"

then i say " don't be a jerk; don;t make a character that can trample on somebody elses or render somebody else character, have you ever felt worhtless or uneeded.. feels liek crap right? well youd be doing the same thing to somebody else here if you do jerkify it up."

now 99% of the time I do in reality have to say that because most of the players I play with IRL play the same way, every once in a while i find one of these crazies gets into my games and I have to tell them such.