PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Streamlining encounter heavy modules/adventures?

Rukia
2013-02-17, 07:57 PM
So we just finished up the Crown of the Kobold King module, and while it seemed everyone enjoyed it for the most part, they did comment it had a LOT of encounters. Every single room was either a trap or combat so it was tiring to say the least. It took us two full 5-6 hour nights to complete the dungeon just for reference but I think it'd have been better condensed into 1.

I'd like to run a streamlined Sons of Gruumsh as the next part and am looking for ways to turn it into perhaps a single night of adventuring. Reading through it there seems to be a ton of combat encounters so is there a simple way I can reduce this to the bare minimums? Can I simply assume that not as many Orcs have amassed as of yet so their numbers are thinner? The main and upper level seem to be most of the issue while the dungeon levels seem fine due to their smaller size and layout. I'm running the module as more of they're on a task to retrieve an item that the BBEG in the module has taken, so theoretically they can skip many encounters if they try be a bit stealthy.

I'm just curious how many encounters some of you DM's run on any given adventure and ways to go about streamlining them. I must admit the amount of encounters in the Kobold King dungeon was a bit overwhelming so I think it'd be nice to have a few breaks in between with rooms that have nothing instead of everytime you open a door it's initiative time.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-02-17, 09:03 PM
In my experience, 1-3 encounters, depending on the amount of exploration/RP stuff that goes on, is about right. As to how you get there... go through the book fight-by-fight and cut out everything that's not either relevant to the plot (BBEG confrontations and suchlike) or required for consistency (gate guards and their ilk).