PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - If you were an amazing gladiator, what feats and classes would you take

ddude987
2013-02-18, 12:40 AM
Title says it all. I am making my PCs fight in a gladiator arena after being captured by orcs. The orcs capture slaves a lot though some orcs may also be gladiators. Looking for classes and feats mostly. I was thinking Fighter with Power Attack but that seemed to bland and boring. Party is level 4. Thanks!

ArcturusV
2013-02-18, 12:43 AM
Thing with Gladiators, it's not about "Effective", it's about Flashy.

Exotic Weapon Proficiency. Exotic weapons can add a lot of flash value to the show. Whips, Nets, Latajangs, etc.

Improved Bull Rushing. Particularly if you go with a set up like we mentioned in the other topic. Being able to punt someone around the battlefield becomes suddenly a lot more viable and interesting. Just Power Attacking someone to death? Boring. Bull Rushing them into a pit of flaming oil? More fun.

Spring Attack. Good times, good times. Being able to attack and move at the same time makes the battles more fluid instead of sitting in place and trading blows.

Yogibear41
2013-02-18, 12:57 AM
I would say flashy vs effective depends highly on the type of arena your in. if it was a human arena flashy very much so but orcs... they would probably enjoy you ripping the arm of your opponent and beating him to death with it more than flashy. Then again I suppose that could be a form of flashy.

If your not a normal race and have natural attacks of some kind I would suggest Thayan Gladiator from champions of ruin. Its even got gladiator in its name :smallsmile:

Edit: although I see your point about the brutal effectiveness of bull rushing, perhaps they have spikes on the walls just waiting to greet a warm body? muahahah!

Tokuhara
2013-02-18, 01:03 AM
If you really want to, in Kingdoms of Kalamar, they actually have a Gladiator class. On something like a:

Warforged Gladiator 10/Thayan Gladiator 10

Focus EWPs on Net & Trident, the style feat, and trip-focus

you could really scare the PCs with this ultimate gladiator.

ArcturusV
2013-02-18, 01:08 AM
Well, in his other topic about this upcoming Gladiatorial side quest bit, we had suggested (And sounded like he was going for) an arena which consisted of dozens of raise, small platforms that people might be knocked off of, chains and ropes for climbing back up and swinging around, possibly hanging someone by the neck with. A ring of fire to keep gladiators from being able to run, and smoke as a possible obstacle. Orcs being allowed to throw stuff at the Gladiators as they wanted. Even talk about unleashing flying beasts and such to buzz them when things get dull.

Good use of the arena itself should be paramount to a "Fan favorite" Gladiator. So feats and abilities that allow you to move the fight around, use the terrain as a weapon, etc, all good choices.

Fates
2013-02-18, 01:32 AM
Here are a few wacky ideas, perhaps not as the champion but at least as a beloved gladiator.

1. For something particularly gruesome, an ogre that wields a flail with human head with a spike through it as the ball in one hand, and a live gnome in the other hand. Tell me orcs would not love that guy.

2. A goblin who rides a warthog, and whose entire strategy is based on nut shots. Perhaps with ride-by attack to keep himself out of melee range. Probably wielding a club or mace.

3. An enslaved paladin (possibly real, possibly not) who fights super-honorably and always chatters on about justice, which the orcs find hilarious. Probably going with plain old sword/shield/heavy armor combo.

Muktidata
2013-02-20, 12:34 AM
A TWF whip-disarmer.
A TWF'er using shield spikes and armor spikes for his attacks.
A grappler.
Spiked chain tripper.
Small character with Cofound the Big Folk line of feats.
A druid with Wild Cohort and a bunch of reared animals.
A mineral warrior crusader.
A hide-and-shoot sniper.

Immabozo
2013-02-20, 12:45 AM
A lycanthrope might be another fun one

eastmabl
2013-02-20, 12:46 AM
Here are a few wacky ideas, perhaps not as the champion but at least as a beloved gladiator.

1. For something particularly gruesome, an ogre that wields a flail with human head with a spike through it as the ball in one hand, and a live gnome in the other hand. Tell me orcs would not love that guy.

2. A goblin who rides a warthog, and whose entire strategy is based on nut shots. Perhaps with ride-by attack to keep himself out of melee range. Probably wielding a club or mace.

3. An enslaved paladin (possibly real, possibly not) who fights super-honorably and always chatters on about justice, which the orcs find hilarious. Probably going with plain old sword/shield/heavy armor combo.

Consider # 2 snagged for the future.

Answerer
2013-02-20, 01:02 AM
The default Warblade fluff, which I usually consider annoying, fits this perfectly. Warblade is also an excellent class. That's my vote.

Yogibear41
2013-02-20, 01:45 AM
A mineral warrior crusader.

Near spammable self healing and damage reduction sounds very painful for a 4th level party lol, assuming casters don't bog him down and just fireball him to death from range.

Sounds fun to play as a player character though lol

Jigokuro
2013-02-20, 01:46 AM
I've skipped the rest of the thread so apologizes if someone else said it, but I just got done playing this and it fits perfectly.
Warblade going into Diamond Mind maneuvers with a ring of perpetual Undersong. Undersong is a 1st level bard spell that lets you make perform checks instead of concentration checks. Then stack perform(weapon drill) as hard as possible (which includes CHA) and be prepared to awestrike any and all people around you as you, say, twirl your sword through the air to unflinchingly slice in half a Lightning Bolt hurled at you.:smallcool: (i.e. use Action Before Thought to replace your reflex save with P(WD) and succeed.)
Bonus to being the coolest build to describe in action ever, it is also quite strong. Any save out of combat and most in become 'yes' even on a nat 1, and you can strike for (P(WD)check x2) damage at times, so like 2d20+100 or more.:smallbiggrin:

Yogibear41
2013-02-20, 01:49 AM
A lycanthrope might be another fun one

I see it now right before the full moon begins to rise a horrified man in tattered clothing stumbles onto the battle field, dazed and confused as to where he is...

the PCs attempt to calm him down and talk to him but its to late the moon rises and he begins to shake and scream then suddenly he has turned and leaps to attack the nearest party memeber! muahahah!

the party memebers manage to survive the encounter but one memeber suffers an extremely sever wound... upon returning to their holding cells for the night the would be hero awakens the next day to find his wound completely healed as if it had never been there....muahahahh!

Immabozo
2013-02-20, 01:53 AM
I see it now right before the full moon begins to rise a horrified man in tattered clothing stumbles onto the battle field, dazed and confused as to where he is...

the PCs attempt to calm him down and talk to him but its to late the moon rises and he begins to shake and scream then suddenly he has turned and leaps to attack the nearest party memeber! muahahah!

the party memebers manage to survive the encounter but one memeber suffers an extremely sever wound... upon returning to their holding cells for the night the would be hero awakens the next day to find his wound completely healed as if it had never been there....muahahahh!

Yes, yes, pinky, you ARE pondering what I am pondering!

ddude987
2013-02-20, 02:50 AM
Well, in his other topic about this upcoming Gladiatorial side quest bit, we had suggested (And sounded like he was going for) an arena which consisted of dozens of raise, small platforms that people might be knocked off of, chains and ropes for climbing back up and swinging around, possibly hanging someone by the neck with. A ring of fire to keep gladiators from being able to run, and smoke as a possible obstacle. Orcs being allowed to throw stuff at the Gladiators as they wanted. Even talk about unleashing flying beasts and such to buzz them when things get dull.

Good use of the arena itself should be paramount to a "Fan favorite" Gladiator. So feats and abilities that allow you to move the fight around, use the terrain as a weapon, etc, all good choices.

I ended up designing an arena of a raised wooden platform. The wood is strong enough to hold people but weak enough to be broken from a strength check. There are traps, rigging, raised bars, ropes to swing on, you name it. If you fall off then you are stuck on the ground with a bunch of starved worgs... have fun.

Thanks for the input on gladiators. I'll definatley think of flashy things, maybe a custom mundane weapon designed to main and make people bleed more than do damage and kill as the crowds always love the blood.

ddude987
2013-02-20, 02:52 AM

The first one made me laugh. A live gnome in his off hand... hmm improvised weapon dealing damage based on weight? Seems good muaahahah.

ArcturusV
2013-02-20, 02:57 AM
Just remember to try and keep the combat mobile. It's both more interesting for the IC spectators, and more interesting for the OOC players. The last thing you want gladiatorial bouts to turn into is people standing 5 feet apart and just trading blows.

This means making frequent use of Combat Tricks like Disarms, Trips, Bull Rushes, Sunders, Overruns. All good "Flash" things that provide mechanical benefits and are also more interesting than mere "I swing my sword" for five rounds.

You MIGHT want to consider improvising some called shot rules as well for it. Orcs should love things like that if a Gladiator could say, hack off his opponent's hand at the wrist. Or gouge out one of his enemy's eyes. Bludgeon a shoulder so the arm hangs limp and useless.

Killer Angel
2013-02-20, 02:57 AM

This is gonna be the crowd's hero! :smallbiggrin:

Muktidata
2013-02-20, 09:18 AM
Near spammable self healing and damage reduction sounds very painful for a 4th level party lol, assuming casters don't bog him down and just fireball him to death from range.

Sounds fun to play as a player character though lol

Make sure you sunder everything of theirs with Mountain Hammer, as well. Especially their Spell Books and Material Components Pouches/Holy Symbols.

Norin
2013-02-20, 11:38 AM
A psion!!! :)

An unarmoured, unarmed, old skinny fella'.

Self buff out the wazoo, and do all kinds of flashy telekinetic tricks throwing around your foes all over the arena, overchanneled energy powers, dominate one foe to make it maul his allies, etc. All while standing calmly or levitating above the arena floor just out of reach.

That would be fun to watch. :smallamused:

Fyermind
2013-02-20, 11:48 AM
Ogre Fighter 2 is a CR 5 but gets really fun with bullrush as a strategy. With knockback and dungeoncrasher it can own the battlefield dealing unreasonable damage at the same time.

Orc Barbarian 2/Fighter 2 with improved trip, knockdown, and whirling frenzy would be fun with a spiked chain.

The key to making gladiator battles interesting to to make specialized combatants. Beware the effects of fear. A well placed intimidate check combined with frightful presence can end fights easily. A true champion should probably be fear immune.

Telonius
2013-02-20, 11:59 AM
The first one made me laugh. A live gnome in his off hand... hmm improvised weapon dealing damage based on weight? Seems good muaahahah.

Reminds me of a ridiculous idea I came up with awhile back ... Take a standard Duskblade, give him Fling Ally, to get a fireball gnome. Then somehow get Drunken Master on top of that, so the gnome breaks if he rolls a natural 1.

Nohwl
2013-02-20, 12:02 PM
Thing with Gladiators, it's not about "Effective", it's about Flashy.

Exotic Weapon Proficiency. Exotic weapons can add a lot of flash value to the show. Whips, Nets, Latajangs, etc.

Improved Bull Rushing. Particularly if you go with a set up like we mentioned in the other topic. Being able to punt someone around the battlefield becomes suddenly a lot more viable and interesting. Just Power Attacking someone to death? Boring. Bull Rushing them into a pit of flaming oil? More fun.

Spring Attack. Good times, good times. Being able to attack and move at the same time makes the battles more fluid instead of sitting in place and trading blows.

what's a latajang?

Greenish
2013-02-20, 12:04 PM
what's a latajang?An exotic weapon.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/034/b/3/lajatang_by_l_sadiablo13-d4okki0.jpg

molten_dragon
2013-02-20, 12:07 PM
Title says it all. I am making my PCs fight in a gladiator arena after being captured by orcs. The orcs capture slaves a lot though some orcs may also be gladiators. Looking for classes and feats mostly. I was thinking Fighter with Power Attack but that seemed to bland and boring. Party is level 4. Thanks!

Warblade or Swordsage would be my first choice. They're both effective melee fighters, and a lot of the maneuvers are the kind of flashy stuff that spectators at a gladiator arena would love.

Eldariel
2013-02-20, 12:11 PM
Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2/Warblade 2. Lots of fun maneuvers, crashing to walls, tossing around and so on. Setting Sun Swordsage would be awesome too.