PDA

View Full Version : Can I see your papers sir?

Surfnerd
2013-02-18, 12:54 AM
I read a few of the Eberron novels and some of the sourcebooks. In the novels they use traveling papers and some other identification paperwork. So I was wondering if anyone inside or outside an Eberron game has used paperwork or bureaucratic redtape as a plot device or a regular part of your campaign. In my next campaign I would really like to incorporate that level to my campaign, but don't want it to get relegated to the background. So I was just looking for inspiration anecdotes or ideas.

ArcturusV
2013-02-18, 01:02 AM
Well, I've run with it before. The bonuses I've had with it?

Requiring papers from a group that doesn't have papers has made them go on quests to get papers (Or avoid people making sure they have papers if they want to go Smuggler/underground).

The penalties I've had with it?

It has REALLY slowed down games pointlessly to when they had papers... they were questioning if the papers were a good idea and if they should use the papers at all. Seriously. I've had hour and a half long discussions over something that should have been as simple as "We show him our papers and walk into the city".

Nettlekid
2013-02-18, 01:02 AM
You could have certain missions or sidequests involve places like a palace ball or a guild, where you need identification papers to get in. Then you have several means of getting the appropriate papers. Players could legitimately sign up for a cause (like become a knight of the kingdom to gain access to the palace, or join the guild), steal papers from an actual owner (which could have repercussions if the owner comes after them), or use the Forgery skill to make their own (which would leave a skillmonkey feeling happy about themselves, at least until they're discovered somehow.) Any of those sound fun?