PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Another MT Thread? Another MT Thread!? Gosh darn it!

Ellrin
2013-02-18, 03:15 AM
After thinking somewhat about a suggestion somebody made in another thread recently, I started thinking about the viability of an oracle/sorcerer/MT gish. I'm thinking of making a Kitsune seeker 4/seeker 4/MT X, but I'd kinda like to homebrew it up a bit; the DM I have in mind for this build is kind of inexperienced, so I'd like to get the playground's opinions on whether I'm going overboard or not far enough with these ideas before I run them by him.

I just came up with this, mind you, so it's probably pretty rough. Suggestions/ridicule welcome.

First, I was thinking of making it so that the oracle seeker archetype and sorcerer seeker archetype could both be a favored class; they wouldn't stack with each other for determining bonuses, but you'd have the four levels of oracle favored class bonus and the four levels of sorcerer favored class bonus.

Second, I was thinking of making a single feat along the lines of Practised Spellcaster from 3.5, that would require a sufficiently high caster level in both that I wasn't blasting it right out of the gate which would grant +4 caster level to one divine and one arcane of my choice. Maybe also put another prereq requiring levels in MT or something, so that others in the campaign couldn't abuse it (not that they would, they're all low-op).

Third, I was thinking that I could replace Combined Spells (1 through 5) with the seeker archetype special abilities, and make MT, sorcerer, and oracle class levels all stack to determine the levels at which I got the third ability. Maybe if that's not powerful enough to compensate for Combined Spells, make the benefits of Seeker Lore (+4 on concentration checks, on CL checks made to overcome SR, and on Knowledge and Spellcraft checks made with regards to the affected spells) apply to all spells on her spells known list of a level correspondig to the Combined Spells ability that's being replaced (so at first level MT, 1st level spells, and with each new spell level coming every two levels after that). I think this may be the weakest idea of the lot, but I'm tired and not thinking well.

Finally, just fleshing MT out for another 2 levels, because what the hell else am I going to do with those two levels?

Yeah, it's not the most effective build ever, homebrew or no homebrew, but the campaign in question is fairly low op. I'm thinking of making the character a gish (grabbing great sword prof during my four levels of oracle, dumping STR, boosting DEX, and getting an agile weapon asap), and using the large array of spells per day (plus having both the arcane and divine buffs) to boost her and the rest of the party. We've already got two full divine casters and a full arcane caster; we're a little weak on frontline, though, and we may wind up without a proper skillmonkey. I won't have the skill points to fulfill most of that role, but I can at least disarm/pick locks like a champ on top of having casting and frontline staying power; and I'll want to build up my cha like crazy, so I can probably UMD my way through most of our other weaknesses once I have the wealth for wands.

Maybe I can spend a feat on craft rod so I can get half-price metamagic rods, too. Make some for the other casters and charge 3/4 price so they're happy and I can cover my costs? Mmmm, screwing with WBL.

Ellrin
2013-02-18, 10:45 AM
Bumping now that people are up. Now that I'm properly awake, I think the third idea is actually probably pretty dumb, considering the fact that the third seeker ability only works with bloodline/mystery spells. I'd still like to have some kind of stacking/synergy, though, since I'm theurging the arcane and divine versions of the exact same class archetype, but I can't for the life of me think of what to do.

Zubrowka74
2013-02-18, 11:09 AM
3 full casters ? Why would you want to add on this, even a gish ? I'm sure you could find a Skillmonkey build somehwere that could also fill in as a tank. Bard / Druid ? Or some kind of Swashbuckler.

Ellrin
2013-02-18, 11:25 AM
That would probably make more sense, but right now I'm just going through my backup/alternate character concepts and fleshing them out one by one, adding disable device and/or some level of frontline capability when available because I'm nervous about not having a rogue at level 1 and I like jack-of-all-trades builds.

Since the game is low-op and we already have one frontliner, I'm not too worried about mechanical balance, so long as I'm not stealing the spotlight. I'd just like a character that can fill in holes as necessary and that I like the roleplaying concept of; the mechanics are secondary.