PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Search based on Intelligence: What sense does that make?

scarmiglionne4
2013-02-18, 06:10 AM
If Wisdom is you perception common sense skill, why isn't Search modified by Wisdom?

Lonely Tylenol
2013-02-18, 06:14 AM
"Where the Hell is that remote?"

(A cursory scan of the room occurs; my eyes do not help me find the remote.)

"Hmm... The last time I used it I was sitting on this couch... Maybe it's between the cushions?"

(Tearing apart the couch reveals the remote. My logical deduction has helped me locate that most holiest of treasures.)

Chilingsworth
2013-02-18, 06:42 AM
"Where the Hell is that remote?"

(A cursory scan of the room occurs; my eyes do not help me find the remote.)

"Hmm... The last time I used it I was sitting on this couch... Maybe it's between the cushions?"

(Tearing apart the couch reveals the remote. My logical deduction has helped me locate that most holiest of treasures.)

Ok, now I have an image of raising a remote over my head while the relevant Zelda music plays. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA_dMjRSSLk)

Frozen_Feet
2013-02-18, 06:47 AM
Because search represents methodically going over the surroundings, rather than relying on your senses and intuition to spot something.

That's why you use Search, rather than Spot, to look for secret doors. A secret door is secret precisely because it's made to not be noticeable to common senses. Even if your intuition tells there must be a secret door, without prior knowledge the only way to find the opening mechanism is to slowly go over every possible location where it could be.

This is also why searching is very slow.

Spuddles
2013-02-18, 07:31 AM
Search is Sherlock Holmes style looking.