PDA

View Full Version : [E6, 3.x] ToB Builds for random encounters.

Toy Killer
2013-02-18, 08:10 AM
To distinguish Devils/Demons and outsiders from natural forces, I'm allowing them to use Manuvers and stances. In essence, I'm refluffing humans and other races and the like to make evil outsiders. Thing is, I've got a fairly low op group and I've never used ToB before. I don't want to make a E6 Swordsage that will cripple the party without breaking a sweat or a crusader that won't freakin' die until the party uses up all their resources.

So I want to ask the playgrounders to provide me some sample level 6 builds that I should go off of.

There are four devil lords in my game that the encounters will liege themselves too, and I've divided out which get what styles of combat predominately. I understand that it'd be nearly impossible (If not flat out impossible) to give them maneuvers from one or two styles exclusively, but I want to keep the theme so players have a general idea of what to expect.

ASIDE: Desert wind will still deal fire damage standard, however, Karynes followers will be able to make it acid damage instead.

The Devil Lords
Aesthline (Lloth with a healthy mixing of the Third Reich)
=+=White Raven, Diamond Mind

Magnys (The Machine from Virus, or from the Matrix)
=+= Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon

Karynes (Ravens and death, rot and disease)
=+= Desert Wind, Shadow Hand

Bhor (Cruel tactician Druid of spite)
=+= Setting Sun, Tiger Claw

Please present them with a standard Elite Array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), they may have the maneuvers of a ToB class added to core class, just specify which class they are getting their maneuvers from. (For example, A barbarian with Crusader maneuvers and stances would be Barbarian//Crusader). No Magic items, the magic in this campaign is controlled to keep tension high.

something like this format:

Minor Devil Of Magnys (Dwarf Monk 6//Swordsage)
---------------
Str 12, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 8, Wis 10, Chr 6
Feats:Power Attack[1], Unarmed Strike[b], Improved Grapple[b], Improved Trip[b], Skill Focus (Basket weaving)[3], Leap Attack[6]
-
Skills: Jump 9, Tumble 9, Craft[basket weaving] 9
-
Equipment:
-
Spells known/prepared: N/A
-
Manuevers Known: 11
Charging Minotaur
Stone Bones
Mountain Hammer
Stone Vice
Stone Dragon Fury
Bone Crusher
Mighty Throw
Blistering Flourish
Clever Positioning
Fiery Riposte
Wind Stride

Stances Known:3
Sure Foot Stance
Roots of the Mountain
Crushing Weight of the Mountain

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-18, 11:23 AM
Consider the martial study feat for lesser minions. It grants manuvers as a once per encounter use effect. Very nice to add a touch of TOB without risking creating a combo that can be spammed to overwhelm the party.

Also it is easy to give almost all readied manuvers on 1 or 2 schools, except for maybe swordsage, but even there you can get it down to 2 or 3 by 6th level.

Aesthline - Elven crusader.
Resistance is the word of the day. We are pairing the elf race with the crusader class to remove some of the unkillability through a con penalty and no devoted spirit maneuvers.
Pick up the diamond mind save replacers. With the crusader recovery method it will be very hard to make an effect stick. We are going to give our demon a low wisdom through, so hitting that save twice in a row will be highly effective.
Stats
Str - 14
Dex - 14
Con -14 (15-2+1 from 4th level)
Int - 13
Wis - 8
Cha - 10
For offense they rely on teamwork and white raven strikes. If they can be divided from one another and prevented from ganging up on a target they are much easier to fight.

Karynes
Raptorian swordsage
Ok, add tiger claw to this one. The idea is a skirmisher who spits acid and jumps around. Sudden leap provides quick movement with the raptorian bonus to jump checks. Jump into range for an acid spit and move back out of reach.

Toy Killer
2013-02-18, 11:35 AM
I was going to play Karynes as being rather skittish for invaders. Shadow games and frequent hit/run combos. I didn't think Tiger Claw was a very good style for them, but I guess I kinda fell victim to the Expeditious Retreat mindset of using the spell for retreating when it could also be used for charging.

I was planning on using Martial Study for cultist of particular Devil Lords, as a mark of their acceptance by their chosen lord.

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-18, 12:04 PM
Sudden leap allows for the ability to move into attack range, attack, and then use your swift action to make a jump to safety. Raptorians get a large boost to jump checks. Fighting in an area with rough ground and varying heights like a forest would allow them to glide out of the branches, attack or strike, and then jump back out of reach into the trees.

Tiger claw is a very hit and run school at low levels. It grants a mini-pounce for twfing and sudden leap, the earliest movement power and one that activates as a swift action.

Shadow hand teleports are also great for this tactic, though sudden leap is the earliest to come online.

The use of swordsage is that they must take a full round action to refresh their abilities. (they need adaptive style, it is a swordsage's best friend) Three or four of them would swoop down out of cover and attack, then give the party a full round to regroup and plan a way to combat the tactic.