PDA

View Full Version : How much is 500lb of adamantine?

javijuji
2013-02-18, 11:15 AM
On our last fight we had to deal with an adamantine construct and as an artificer I decided to take the body and use it as crafting material. The DM Said I had 500 lb worth of adamantine. I bought 4 scrolls of fabricate since I dont wanna spend 6 months making an armor. What would be the best way to go about this? I thought about making Heavy Armors and selling them. Since the scrolls costed me 1000 gp I could make a big profit. Any other ideas? How much adamantine is 500lb of adamantine?

Dr Bwaa
2013-02-18, 11:20 AM
Well I'm afb, but I'm pretty sure adamantine has the same weight as steel. A set of normal steel full plate weighs 50lbs, so you ought to be able to make at least ten sets from that haul.

Morcleon
2013-02-18, 11:23 AM
Draconomicon states that it's 100 gp/lbs. :smallsmile:

SilverLeaf167
2013-02-18, 11:26 AM
On our last fight we had to deal with an adamantine construct and as an artificer I decided to take the body and use it as crafting material. The DM Said I had 500 lb worth of adamantine. I bought 4 scrolls of fabricate since I dont wanna spend 6 months making an armor. What would be the best way to go about this? I thought about making Heavy Armors and selling them. Since the scrolls costed me 1000 gp I could make a big profit. Any other ideas? How much adamantine is 500lb of adamantine?
Well, one way to find out how much you have is to sorta count it backwards. 500lb is enough for at least 10 suits of full plate, even more if you take into account the fact that armor isn't just metal (it also has leather padding etc.), so I would say you have about 12 suits worth of metal. Proceed from there.

If you're thinking of crafting armor, making Adamantine Fullplates would indeed be your best bet. As mentioned, you could make about 12 suits with that amount, which would sell for 16,500 gp each, for a grand total of 198,000 gp, which is a huge amount of money.

Zubrowka74
2013-02-18, 01:09 PM
... I'm pretty sure adamantine has the same weight as steel.

I've always been under the impression that it was denser than steel. I cannot recall a specific passage in a rulebook though.

Morcleon
2013-02-18, 01:33 PM
I've always been under the impression that it was denser than steel. I cannot recall a specific passage in a rulebook though.

Actually, adamantine has 75% the weight of iron. It's in the Planar Handbook somewhere...

javijuji
2013-02-18, 01:50 PM
Question regarding adamantine weapons and sundering. Given the following
"adamantine have a natural ability to bypass hardness when sundering weapons or attacking objects, ignoring hardness less than 20"

From what I understand if the object has hardness 20 or higher then adamantine doesnt bypass anything. Is this correct? Or would adamantine bypass 20 points of hardness against a shield with say 30 hardness.

Morcleon
2013-02-18, 01:51 PM
Question regarding adamantine weapons and sundering. Given the following
"adamantine have a natural ability to bypass hardness when sundering weapons or attacking objects, ignoring hardness less than 20"

From what I understand if the object has hardness 20 or higher then adamantine doesnt bypass anything. Is this correct? Or would adamantine bypass 20 points of hardness against a shield with say 30 hardness.

Indeed you are. A shield of hardness 19 would have effectively hardness 0 against an adamantine weapon, but a shield of hardness 20 would still have hardness 20.

However, it's not an unreasonable house-rule to say that adamantine bypasses 20 points on hardness.

Zubrowka74
2013-02-18, 01:58 PM
Ah, i might have this confused with another metal. Adamantium perhaps.

Curmudgeon
2013-02-18, 02:31 PM
I thought about making Heavy Armors and selling them. Since the scrolls costed me 1000 gp I could make a big profit. Any other ideas?
Fabricate can only work with a single material, and armor is made up of multiple materials. For instance:
Full Plate

The suit includes gauntlets, heavy leather boots, a visored helmet, and a thick layer of padding that is worn underneath the armor. Each suit of full plate must be individually fitted to its owner by a master armorsmith, although a captured suit can be resized to fit a new owner at a cost of 200 to 800 (2d4×100) gold pieces. The way such a suit of armor is made is that the padding suit is tailored to the wearer, then the metal pieces are individually fitted to wear over the padding, and finally some of the armor pieces are riveted together; the final set of armor is put on as separate pieces that are mostly strapped in place, building up the protection in overlapping layers. (That's why it takes 4 minutes with help to put on this armor: 40 consecutive rounds, for multiple characters.) All you can do with one casting of Fabricate is make a single product of a single material, so you would need several such castings to create a bunch of separate adamantine pieces that still need to be fitted by a master armorsmith — assuming you can make the necessary Craft checks, that is. (Frankly, if your DM wants to be totally realistic, it would take a separate Fabricate casting for each ring of the thousands of rings needed to make the chainmail parts of a suit of heavy armor: those around the throat, groin, underarms, elbows, and knees.)
You must make an appropriate Craft check to fabricate articles requiring a high degree of craftsmanship. And you've still got to get someone to create and fit the padded suit for the wearer, plus all the other non-adamantine pieces (straps, buckles, & c.).

Overall, I think you'll end up losing a lot of money on this operation. This is Dungeons & Dragons, after all, not Merchants & Markets.

Scow2
2013-02-18, 04:44 PM
with help[/U] to put on this armor: 40 consecutive rounds, for multiple characters.) All you can do with one casting of Fabricate is make a single product of a single material, so you would need several such castings to create a bunch of separate adamantine pieces that still need to be fitted by a master armorsmith — assuming you can make the necessary Craft checks, that is. (Frankly, if your DM wants to be totally realistic, it would take a separate Fabricate casting for each ring of the thousands of rings needed to make the chainmail parts of a suit of heavy armor: those around the throat, groin, underarms, elbows, and knees.) And you've still got to get someone to create and fit the padded suit for the wearer, plus all the other non-adamantine pieces (straps, buckles, & c.).
Ruling that you can only make one (way-too-tiny) item per casting of Fabricate's being obtuse. While it might be reasonable to assume that he'd still need to make the padding separately, he could make all the metal plates needed with a single casting of Fabricate, assuming he makes the proper Craft check. If he fails the check, he screws it all up. He'd still have to make all the padding, but that's the easy part.

Furthermore, the wording of the spell pretty much explicitly allows it to be used in the creation of Adamantine Full Plate, given how the game defines Material and common definition of Product - And it's actually possibly the only way to make such armor, given how difficult Adamantine is to work with (Reflected by the astronomical amount of time it would take to make a suit by RAW)

hamishspence
2013-02-18, 04:55 PM
Indeed you are. A shield of hardness 19 would have effectively hardness 0 against an adamantine weapon, but a shield of hardness 20 would still have hardness 20.

However, it's not an unreasonable house-rule to say that adamantine bypasses 20 points on hardness.

In the Elder Evils Pandorym adventure, the inevitable is hacking away rapidly at the hardness 30 prison with his adamantine sword- and it's impled that the sword makes a huge difference.

Suggesting that the adventure writer may have been under the same impression.

Morcleon
2013-02-18, 04:57 PM
In the Elder Evils Pandorym adventure, the inevitable is hacking away rapidly at the hardness 30 prison with his adamantine sword- and it's impled that the sword makes a huge difference.

Suggesting that the adventure writer may have been under the same impression.

Published examples often have mistakes in them. While it would be logical to have the adamantine sword have a large effect, by RAW, it would just let him bypass DR/adamantine, not hardness >= 20.

hamishspence
2013-02-18, 05:10 PM
Yes- "the sword ignores the crystal's hardness" was probably the writer forgetting that it needs to be less than hardness 20 to ignore it.

Roog
2013-02-18, 05:53 PM
Any other ideas? How much adamantine is 500lb of adamantine?
That's 1,501,000 gp of adamantine daggers - as long as a buch of daggers counts as "a product".

TuggyNE
2013-02-18, 08:31 PM
Ah, i might have this confused with another metal. Adamantium perhaps.

Adamantium and adamantite, in D&D, are (fairly common) misspellings of adamantine, just as mithril or mythril or mythral are misspellings of mithral.

Marnath
2013-02-18, 08:44 PM
Draconomicon states that it's 100 gp/lbs. :smallsmile:

Mithril too. It would actually be a good way to run it for those materials to use that price instead of the weird one-size-fits-all prices they have now. If you only want a dagger, it should cost less than a greatsword after all.

lunar2
2013-02-18, 08:54 PM
You know, I want fabricate as an SLA. the materials you work with are the material component of the spell. say hello to free adamantine chain shirts (a chain shirt is definitely a single product, and is made of a single material). even better, can i have that as an at-will SLA? go up to a kingdom about to go to war, and say "I can outfit your entire army with adamantine weapons, armor, and shields in just a few hours."

Siosilvar
2013-02-18, 09:05 PM
Adamantium and adamantite, in D&D, are (fairly common) misspellings of adamantine, just as mithril or mythril or mythral are misspellings of mithral.

To nitpick (and clarify) your nitpick, they are different things in other places, but in D&D there's only the two. For example, Tolkein's mithril and Wolverine's adamantium are similar to their D&D counterparts, and there's enough use of similar terms that confusion is rampant.

Derpldorf
2013-02-18, 09:26 PM
Personally, it kind of seems like a waste to just sell all that Adamantine. I'd advise you to ask your DM about leadership and make as many chain shirts and short swords as possible.