PDA

View Full Version : Attn All Mac Users: iPad w/Retina, Mac Mini, or iPad 2?

inexorabletruth
2013-02-18, 04:45 PM
Disclaimer:

Mac haters, please don't try to talk me out of an Apple product. I'm just looking for opinions, advice and consumer feedback on the three items listed in the subject line. Also, I'm not interested at all in the iPad Mini. That's just an iPhone at that point. Thank you in advance for respecting my wishes.

TL;DR: Which would you recommend for a business/recreation tool that works well with my current 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro?
My wife is making the plunge to Mac, and now she has rejected Windows in its entirety, we have to fight over my laptop for usage time. So, I'm using my tax return to get a new addition to the Mac family. Only things are a little more complicated now than when I purchased my MacBook Pro three years ago.

I don't have the budget I had back then. I'm trying to restrict my compy budget to around $500 - $600 range. ($500 means more accessories and apps, $600 means it better do what we need/want off the bat). So that pretty much limits us to iPads or the Mac Mini.
The technology has changed considerably. And now my head is spinning just trying to understand all the new options.
I don't know enough about these iPads, and I'm not much of a gadget guy. I don't even have a camera phone. All these touch pad "it's-not-a-computer-but-its-not-a-phone-either" gizmos are starting to confuse me and I've been browsing the Apple Store web site for over an hour.

Here's what we need:
TL;DR: It doesn't have to be portable, but that would be nice.
The wife needs something portable. She runs a small business selling custom knitted goods. She's about to take her goods on the road to the various cons, fairs etc to vend her gear. If I bought the Mac Mini, she could take my old lappy on the road with her and the MM could just be our stay-at-home desktop. But it starts at the top end of my budget. I know I could run NeoOffice, Adobe Suite and Gimp off of it, as well as attach my storage drives to it though, because Mac Mini is still definitely a computer.
TL;DR: It has to be 100% compatible with my current laptop and all apps on it.
I'm upgrading the old lappy to Mountain Lion with the tax refund as well, and I need to be able to easily share files with the new Mac and use them. If I load a spreadsheet from Lappy to a new iPad, will the spreadsheet look right? Will it even open? She will need to use most or even all of the tools I have on my current lappy: like NeoOffice, Adobe Suite and Gimp.
TL;DR: It must be easy to use.
Touch screen is fun and all, but sometimes, nothing replaces a keyboard and mouse. Do Bluetooth keyboards and mice work with iPads? Wireless headphones? Is there a way to get it to work with an external monitor if needed/desired?
TL;DR: It would be great if it were fun.
Music, movies, games. It can't be all work and no play. If iPad's lack the storage capacity, I can work around that. I have TBs of space at home, but I don't want her to be bored out of her gourd while waiting for an event to be open to the public. Internet connectivity is a must, at least for business and pleasure. How well do those things surf? And what about video conferencing? Can she Skype or iChat with my us while she's away?

Other things I don't understand:
TL;DR: What's the big deal with Retina display?
I've noticed it makes the Macs waaaaay more expensive. Is the bang worth the bucks? I want to get her a nice computer, but it (obviously) can't be top-of-the-line, nor does it need to be. If I can get her everything she needs out of the iPad 2 (listed at $399) then I'd rather save the money so we can buy nice swag for it, like that credit card swipey thing and some new Bluetooth headphones and an acid green case.
TL;DR: Is the cellular service really that necessary?
I don't get out much. I live within walking distance of my job and pretty much don't bother with a social life. So I'm not sure how hard it is to find a hot spot. We don't use any of the providers that offer cellular for the iPad. I love my current plan ($85/mo for two all-unlimited lines is reason enough for me to stay loyal) and don't want to switch unless I have to.

Current Computer's Tech Specs:
My computer is looking a bit dated. I don't mind. I'm just listing this so you know what level of tech we're comfortable with. This computer does pretty much everything I need it to do except be backwards compatible with my pre-Intel software which caused me to have a six month temper tantrum before I finally got over it. My wife loves it to, so if the new iPads can at least perform as well as this, we're good. Anyways:

Processor: 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I think that's enough questions. To those of you who plowed through the text wall like a soldier, thank you for your patience. To those of you who read the TL;DR summaries, I understand. That's a lot to take in and your opinions are still appreciated.

Rawhide
2013-02-20, 03:39 AM
TL;DR: It has to be 100% compatible with my current laptop and all apps on it.

The iPads won't be. They use their own app system. Generally, you will be able to find applications that will open most of your documents. Pages, Numbers, and Keynote exist, for example, as does a read only (no editing) version of NeoOffice. There are read only versions of Acrobat (though the inbuilt viewer is fine enough) and a tablet version of Photoshop.

Touch screen is fun and all, but sometimes, nothing replaces a keyboard and mouse. Do Bluetooth keyboards and mice work with iPads? Wireless headphones? Is there a way to get it to work with an external monitor if needed/desired?

Keyboards do work, mice do not. There is no cursor to control at any point. The keyboard only replaces the on screen keyboard for input (it is automatically hidden when you 'attach' the keyboard). Wireless headphones should work, though I've not tried, and you can output the screen to a monitor/TV in one of several ways (via cable - A/V, HDMI, VGA, DVI, etc. - or Wirelessly to an Apple TV).

Music, movies, games. It can't be all work and no play. If iPad's lack the storage capacity, I can work around that. I have TBs of space at home, but I don't want her to be bored out of her gourd while waiting for an event to be open to the public. Internet connectivity is a must, at least for business and pleasure. How well do those things surf? And what about video conferencing? Can she Skype or iChat with my us while she's away?

You can't just drag your Mac games across, but the iPad has a huge assortment of games and stuff available for free, or from 99 cents. Most games are 99 cents or free, though some big company games have been $5 or $10.

The iPads work exceptionally well for surfing. And you can Skype/iChat/FaceTime/etc.

TL;DR: What's the big deal with Retina display?

I would never buy an iPad or iPhone without the pixel density of the Retina Display after having used one. The difference is highly noticeable to me, and the image looks so much better. In fact, even the MacBooks with Retina Display look so much nicer than what I'm used to (though the difference isn't as dramatic).

TL;DR: Is the cellular service really that necessary?

That's entirely up to you. Do you want/need to be able to access the internet wherever you can get mobile phone reception, or is WiFi enough? If you get it, you can get, say, a prepaid data plan with a long expiry that you only use when you are away from home with no hotspot.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-20, 10:22 AM
That's actually more helpful that the Apple sales rep was. Thanks!

Cuthalion
2013-02-20, 03:24 PM
My family owns a Mac Mini, and it works, though I'm not a fan of not having a CD drive... anyways, what kind of laptop do you have? With windows and such it looks weird when you plug it in, but the person above me knows more and I have no idea if this actually makes sense, so never mind. :smallyuk:

Don Julio Anejo
2013-02-20, 04:17 PM
1. iPads are not really productivity devices. Like, good luck using a spreadsheet on one, it's simply not built for it. They're fancy web-browsing devices that can be used for presentation. If all she needs is to check her email, show pictures of her sweaters/stuffed teddy's and watch an occasional show, then an iPad is perfectly fine. But don't expect to get any work done on it, it's borderline very difficult. Lack of a keyboard (without extra accessories which are expensive)/mouse is just one aspect. Screen designed for touch input is another.

2. It might make sense to buy used. See if you can find a 1-2 year old MBP that fits within your budget. At this point in time, any Mac you buy will have sufficient specs for general work use. The catch would be is that it's like buying a used car, and there's no carfax.com to help you out. It would be a cat in a bag; it could have been a spare laptop for a busy work guy who just never used it and decided to sell it, or it could been a backpacker's Facebook machine that spent the better part of its life swimming in beer. Just... pay attention to the physical condition and the person you're buying from.

3. Mac Mini's are awesome. My friend uses one for work since he can take it home/to the office with less hassle than a giant laptop, for a lot cheaper and save space since he hooks it up to a monitor anyway. That said, remember: a Mac Mini still needs a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse, which may put you over the budget unless you already have one. It also uses laptop components (a common problem with macs), which generally run significantly slower than similar-spec'd desktop ones.

4. Cellular service is entirely unnecessary, provided you have a moderately recent smartphone. You're going to have the phone on you all the time anyway. It's honestly cheaper and easier to change your plan to include more data and then use your phone's wireless hot-spot to get internet. Certainly cheaper in the long run than having two SIM's and two cell phone accounts.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-21, 03:33 AM
@Cuthalion:
Your Mac Mini doesn't have a CD drive? :smallconfused:

@Don Julio Anejo
Thanks for the advice. We're actually starting to examine our options for a used computer. I've never bought used before, so I'm nervous. A lappy with my current laptop's specs runs for about $700, but the MacBook (not Pro) with better specs than my current lappy goes for around $300 to $400. I might go that route. I'll keep an eye out for signs of an abusive owner.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-02-21, 06:29 AM
@Cuthalion:

Mac Mini's don't come with a CD drive. It's pretty much a small box the size of several CD cases stacked on top of one another, which has ports to one side. That's the entire appeal, it's a decently-spec'd desktop computer in a light and tiny package.

Cuthalion
2013-02-21, 12:09 PM
@Cuthalion:

It's the current version. We just got it a few months back.

Trog
2013-02-21, 07:20 PM
Couple of thoughts:

I'd upgrade the old mac to Mountain Lion first. There may be apps on there which are not compatible. I know I could not get a couple of my old mac's apps to work on my new mac once I upgraded to Mountain Lion. That is, until I re-bought them through the app store, then they worked fine. Only cost me like $10 or $15 total to do so so not really a big deal. But be forewarned you may experience that too.

If you have the cash to do so go retina just because... sooo shiny! (o.O)

I guess from what you are saying I'd avoid getting an iPad. Going with a mac gives you adequate storage space, compatibility, and no need for a cellular contract. Sounds like your reasons were similar to mine when I chose to forego getting an iPad to replace an aging mac – you want to have access to the same apps as before. I got a MacBook Pro a year ago and have been most satisfied with it. Definitely a better experience than I had with my previous mac which needed all sorts of replacement parts while it was under warranty, replacing the hard drive twice and the screen once. By the end the touch pad had just about gone and I could barely type on the thing because of keyboard malfunctions. Obviously I got a lemon somehow. New Mac, however, has had zero issues and has been the perfect lappy. :smallsmile:

If you end up deciding to go with an iPad I'd be curious to hear how it worked out. Keep us posted! :smallbiggrin:

Runestar
2013-02-22, 10:36 AM
Retina display is basically Apple-speak for a super high-res display. Essentially, they double the pixels, so the images on your screen looks clearer and sharper. The benefit is most obvious when reading text; I personally have compared my ipad3 with my friend's ipad2 and haven't really been able to discern much of a difference. :smallconfused:

The main difference between the iPad4 and ipad2 is that the latter has better specs, and access to additional IOS features. However, given that most apps still run very smoothly on the ipad2, there really isn't much incentive to upgrade.

I am thinking that an ipad2 may be suitable for your wife. Try shopping around for a refurbished one. If she does not have a smartphone with hotspot capabilities, then it may be advisable to go with the 3G version (and spring for a monthly data plan as well), unless the areas she frequents has free wifi access. Even then, constant tethering also drains your phone battery very quickly, so I find it far from an ideal alternative. For storage, 32gb should more than suffice (you can do with 16gb if you are frugal).

Then also look into purchasing a cheap bluetooth keyboard for her as well.

The benefits are as follows:
Instant on: Great for when she needs to quickly look something up, access an app or check her email.

Long battery life: The ipad's battery easily lasts for 10+ hours of usage, meaning that she can run around all day and not have to worry about running out of juice at an inopportune moment.

Abundance of free/cheap apps: Whatever she wants to do, I am sure there is an app that can be downloaded for free or cheaply. For entertainment, there should be video-streaming apps like youtube or netflix. Ibooks has a ton of free books. Its form factor lends itself well to use while propped on your knee or reclining in a van.

The bluetooth keyboard is there for when she wants to hammer out a lengthier article.

There is the iworks suite for IOS, which is basically like office, but cheaper. That it comes with just a fraction of the features is actually a boon, because you likely won't need them all anyways, and the simpler interface can be less confusing.

If you are going to use any of the iworks apps, also consider buying the mac version as well, so you can use icloud to sync them across.

Just my 2 cents. :smallsmile:

inexorabletruth
2013-02-22, 01:50 PM
Well, the Mac Mini is definitely out of the race. Nothing about what I've heard sounds appealing.

I don't think the Retina Display is going to really pay off on a screen that small, and since I'm on a tighter budget, I'd rather save the money.

I like what I'm hearing about the iPad 2, and will either go with that, or pick up a used laptop.

Thanks everyone! I go shopping this weekend!

Runestar
2013-02-23, 09:11 AM
Also, consider checking the online apple store. I believe they are carrying refurbished ipad2 +3g at $399 (or the basic 16gb version at $319). At any rate, this is a $80-130 savings, which you can put to a cheap case and some apps. :smallsmile:

Best of all, free shipping. :smallbiggrin:

Trixie
2013-02-24, 07:03 AM
I know I could run NeoOffice, Adobe Suite and Gimp off of it, as well as attach my storage drives to it though, because Mac Mini is still definitely a computer.
Technically, 386 is a computer, too, but it does not mean it can run any of these. Especially seeing your old storage drive is likely to be Firewire, something Apple largely dropped now.

Anyway, 500$ is really too little to consider any decent Apple product, as iPads aren't really good at any 'work' usage; it's basically just touch screen with built in video game console. Retina is very nice, but a lot of people can barely see difference and it needs decent hardware to make any real mileage out of it, something you can forget in ~500$ Apple product range.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-24, 01:39 PM
The wife and I went with the refurbished MacBook for about $410. It's in the mail. It had everything I wanted, with a nice enough price tag to allow plenty of room for insurance, warranties, apps, and some nice swag to personalize the laptop for her. Thanks, everyone for your input.

In the end, I just couldn't see the value in the iPads yet... not for what we need, and the Mac Mini just sounded like a huge disappointment. But I learned a lot about Mac apps that really have my eyebrow raised. I have a feeling I'm not done shopping.

Runestar
2013-02-25, 08:08 AM
It's a shame that there are so few refurbs available in my country's online apple store. Glad you and wife managed to get something both wanted, at a reasonable price. :smallsmile: