PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Make an Archivist Gish

IserLuick
2013-02-18, 08:43 PM
Hello everyone!

I was looking at the information and handbooks on the Archivist class and indeed it is pretty amazing, a very powerful divine caster.

I wonder if there is any way that you can have a Gish character with the archivist as the spellcaster class with +16 or more base attack bonus and 17 spellcaster level or more to be able to cast 9th level spells at level 20.

I've looked for some prestige classes that could be combined to make it, but I haven't found the right combination.

Is there any way to accomplish this with prestige classes and all the material available?

Thanks for your attention!

Have a nice day! :smallsmile:

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-18, 09:22 PM
1 Get a source of Turn Undead (Sacred exorcist dip cost nothing but delaying a your Dread Secret and your final bonus feat).
2 Get DMM: Persist
3 Persist Divine Power/Bite of the Were-X/Greater Aspect of the Deity
4??????
5 Profit.

Aliek
2013-02-18, 11:43 PM
1 Get a source of Turn Undead (Sacred exorcist dip cost nothing but delaying a your Dread Secret and your final bonus feat).
2 Get DMM: Persist
3 Persist Divine Power/Bite of the Were-X/Greater Aspect of the Deity
4??????
5 Profit.

Also, giant size from hero domain

IserLuick
2013-02-19, 11:27 AM
Well, I've tried to look for prestige clases to make the Archivist Gish but I haven't found a single one that can be taken at early levels with good BAB and spellcasting progression.

Most of the prestige classes with good BAB and/or spellcasting progression require a relatively high base attack bonus (Knight of the Raven requires +4 BAB, Scourge Maiden +4 BAB, Dragonslayer +5 BAB, Fist of Raziel +6 BAB, Sacred Fist +4 BAB, Bone Knight +4 BAB, Scion of Tem-et-nu +5 BAB, Hospitaler +5 BAB, Doomlord +7 BAB, Skylord +7 BAB, Warpriest +5 BAB), and the archivist has a very bad BAB progression.

Many of the other prestige classes require specific class features (Gray guard requires Lay on Hands; Purifier of the Hallowed Doctrine, Ruby Knight Vindicator, Warpriest and Bone Knight require the ability to Turn Undead, Swanmay requires Wild Empathy, Nature's warrior requires Wild Shape).

And some other prestige classes require the ability to cast a specific level of spells (Hand of the Adama requires 3rd level divine spells, for example; there is another prestige class that I fail to remember right now that require the ability to cast dismissal evil and another 4th level spell).

And these classes can make some synergy, there are some classes of the mentioned above that give Lay on Hands as a class feature and with that you can take the others... but those classes still have high BAB or other class feature requirements, wich obviate the possibility to take them at early levels.

Well, I did the best I could, but as it seems, you can't make an Archivist Gish build with +16 BAB and 9th level spells (well, at least that's what I conclude with the investigation that I did).

If there is any other way, any other prestige class that can make this possible or any material that can be used to accomplish this purpose, I would gladly appreciate if you share it with me.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Have a very good day!

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-19, 11:30 AM
There's a druid spell that lets you turn undead. Whether or not this qualifies you for PRCs depends on the leniency of your DM.

I've heard that "Battle Blessing" will apparently let you auto-quicken all Paladin spells.

Psyren
2013-02-19, 11:37 AM
Well, I did the best I could, but as it seems, you can't make an Archivist Gish build with +16 BAB and 9th level spells (well, at least that's what I conclude with the investigation that I did).

Didn't you read the last post? Divine Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm) gets you full BAB. You don't need PrCs at all.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-19, 11:42 AM
You want 11 levels of pure archivist anyway; Dread Secret is a wonderful thing. By then you have +5 BAB just from the Archivist levels alone. So, take Archivist 11, and do what you want with the last nine, as archivists don't get as many goodies after that.

IserLuick
2013-02-19, 12:16 PM
Oh! I didn't read about Divine Power, so it is possible to make it after all with no prestige classes if you use DMM: Persistent Spell with that spell.

Well, thanks a lot for the help, this surely solves the problem. I could easely take just 1 Fighter level to be able to wear armor and use weapons and that would pretty much make a very good gish (if he's not in an antimagic field or gets dispelled, of course).

Namfuak
2013-02-19, 12:17 PM
Oh! I didn't read about Divine Power, so it is possible to make it after all with no prestige classes if you use DMM: Persistent Spell with that spell.

Well, thanks a lot for the help, this surely solves the problem. I could easely take just 1 Fighter level to be able to wear armor and use weapons and that would pretty much make a very good gish (if he's not in an antimagic field or gets dispelled, of course).

If you want to lose a caster level to get heavy armor, why not just dip cleric and get the turn undead without having to take sacred exorcist?

Madcrafter
2013-02-19, 03:28 PM
Or just drop a feat for heavy proficiency, an another if you really need a better weapon.

RagnaroksChosen
2013-02-19, 03:38 PM
Archivists are pritty much gishes out of the book..

Even without Persist which can be cheesy. Divine power is incredible. Plus you can essentially cherry pick the best paladin/druid/ranger spells that you need to make it perfect.

I've wanted to play an archivist bow user and focus mostly on the awesome ranger spells.