PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun

Vknight
2013-02-18, 09:36 PM
Hacking...
4th edition Shadowrun even though it is simplified and easier. Can someone explain how all of that works

Also a topic for Shadowrun in general cause its a great game
So why shouldn't it be talked about it more

That is all

Science Officer
2013-02-18, 10:45 PM
You could try the Other Systems forum...

Anyways, 5th edition should be coming out this summer...
Unfortunately, I can't explain hacking any better than the book does (which is rather sad, for me and the book....)

Kaun
2013-02-18, 10:47 PM
Yeah there is plenty of shadowrun chat in the "other" section.

As to hacking you are going to need to ask more defined questions. Other wise just re read that section of the core book.

Vknight
2013-02-19, 04:20 AM
Not very helpful but yeah I'll take a look through the book again.

5th Edition, Shadowrun?
What could they need to change, add, or whatever now?

ShadowFighter15
2013-02-19, 08:59 AM
5th Edition, Shadowrun?

Well these (http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2013/01/shadowrun-fifth-edition-the-next-step/) three (http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2013/02/sr5-dev-blog-where-do-dice-come-from/) Dev Blogs (http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2013/02/sr5-dev-blog-more-about-limits-and-exceeding-them/) should give you an idea. Their ideas on how dice pools will work sound pretty cool.

Vknight
2013-02-19, 04:16 PM
Ah lets see.
Probably stick with 4th cause I'm cheap.

Ok how exactly do Programs Work and the die pool for using them?

LibraryOgre
2013-02-20, 07:27 PM
In 4e, the program is part of the dice pool. Your Dice Pool is usually Skill + Program, usually with a Threshold determined by your target.

So, for example, let's say you're trying to hack a Yak's commlink to get a list of his contacts. Since you're trying to get into a system you're not technically allowed onto is Hacking (skill) + Exploit (Program) for the dice pool (plus other modifiers, like Hot Sim), against a Threshold of the target's Firewall. You keep making Hacking+Exploit checks at a rate of 1 per complex action until you have enough hits to equal or exceed the Threshold (with higher access accounts increasing the threshold even more).

So, let's say you've got a Hacking skill of 5, and an Exploit program of 3, and want to get into a commlink with a Firewall of 3. We'll ignore other sources of dice for you.

Complex Action 1: 6, 6, 6, 5 (4 hits) 4, 3, 1, 1

In one complex action, you've hacked a fairly simple system. You could be logged in as a normal user. But you don't want to be a normal user; you want more. You want to be able to read their contacts list, which they've password protected. So you need Security access... which your pitiful 4 hits didn't give you. So you need to make a second complex action.

Complex Action 2: 6, 5 (2 hits) 4, 4, 4, 3, 1

This is a total of 6 hits. You need 6 total for a Security account (3 Firewall +3 for security accounts). Woot! You've got Security access, and can try to get into the Contacts.

Now, if you'd wanted Admin access, you'd have needed two things.
1) You would have needed 10 Hits total (3 Firewall +7 for admin access).
2) You would have to be shooting for admin access. You can't say "Whoops, I scored 10 hits when I only needed 6. I guess I get Admin access." You got Security access with style, not Admin access.

This seems really easy, and it is... if you're hacking a naked system with all the time in the world. But there's more to it than that. See, each time YOU made an attempt, the commlink was ALSO making a test to see if it noticed you. It was rolling Firewall + Analyze... and Analyze is a Common Use Program. 400Y and you've got it at level 3, along with the other useful CUPs. So we'll say that your target has Analyze 3... a Basic+ user. Not a tech-head, but he can download his own tax forms. The commlink's threshold is your Stealth, which is a hacking program. No Stealth? Then it's effective threshold is 1. We'll give you the benefit of the doubt... you've got a Stealth of 4.

Now, it took you 2 Complex actions to hack the commlink. So the commlink gets 3 chances to reach that Threshold.

Attempt 1: 6, 6, 5, 5, (4 hits) 4, 2

Guess what, Console Cowboy? Your first attempt to log on triggered an alert. Because it's the Firewall reacting to you, it's a restricted alert, which means the commlink doesn't just say "Something is wrong", it says "This guy here is causing a problem". This gives it a +4 Firewall against you... increasing your threshold AND increasing its dice pool against you.

This is just a commlink, so it goes with a simple option... it terminates the connection. For that, it rolls Firewall + System (which we'll set at 3; this 3 Firewall/3 System combo is a top-end but commercially available system). It's Threshold for this 10-dice test? Your Exploit program. 3. Bright side for you? Each of these tests takes a full combat turn, while you probably have a couple phases each combat turn. This means you Log On about the time it's finishing it's first Terminate Connection test.

Terminate Connection Test: 6, (1 hit) 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1

Shoot. Not enough hits. It starts to make another test against you, but you have your 2 phases to act. Since a security account can't turn off an alert (whoops!), you have to act fast.

Phase 1:
Simple Action 1: Analyze node (you're trying to find contacts). Computer + Analyze; we'll call your Dice pool 8. 2 hits, and three 1s, meaning you SQUEAK by without a glitch. First hit tells you the node is alerted. Second hit means you find the contacts. Damn.
Simple Action 2: Analyze Node (again); You're check the file; worried about a data bomb and encrpytion. 2 hits... but 5 ones. GLITCH! Let's say that you accidentally called one of the contacts while snooping around. In a moment, the Yak's phone is gonna start talking with other people, and he's going to notice this. On the other hand, it's not a data bomb and not encrypted.

Phase 2:
Simple Action 1: Transfer data. You decide "To hell with it" and just grab the file before you're hooped. You can decrypt it later. You roll Computer + System; we'll call this a 9 dice pool, and you get 3 hits. The data transfer starts.
Simple Action 2: You decide to play the part of the merry hacker and Encrypt his entire commlink. You roll Computer + Encrypt, which is a 6 die pool... 3 hits. Good luck on him figuring out your "All loyalty to La Cosa Nostra" key.

End of combat turn! The Commlink tries to kick you off. 10 dice, 2 hits, and with it's 1 hit from the previous attempt, you're booted. You get to enjoy a few moments of dumpshock (and a 5S damage hit... Willpower + Biofeedback Filter of 7 nets you 2 hits, so you have 3 stun damage from your cold sim dump), while a very angry Yakuza legbreaker tries to figure out why his phone called his police contact, and how the heck he gets it to let him hang up now that the damn thing is encrypted.

At least, that's how I read it.

Vknight
2013-02-21, 01:00 AM
My original post didn't send so got to re write this

Thanks
So each program that falls under common use I have to buy as an individual
Will have to review more. Only been in 3 different sessions of Shadowrun

Spirits
What does the rating mean
Where are they in the book
What can and cannot harm them

LibraryOgre
2013-02-21, 02:04 AM
My original post didn't send so got to re write this

Thanks
So each program that falls under common use I have to buy as an individual
Will have to review more. Only been in 3 different sessions of Shadowrun

Spirits
What does the rating mean
Where are they in the book
What can and cannot harm them

Rating is basically how complex and useful the program is.
For example, think of the Edit program. Edit is a combination Word Processor/Photo Editor/Movie Suite. A Rating 1 Edit program is more or less Notepad/MS Paint. It's useful, but it lacks a lot of features, and to get much out of it, you have to know computers pretty well.
A rating 2 program is a step up... Word Pad. You can do a bit more with the text, but it's not flexible and is missing a lot of features higher-end products would have.
By rating 4, you're starting to look at Photoshop. You can make good edits of a variety of media, and have a fair degree of fine control. If you're not too good with computers, this can even smooth over some of your errors.

Most commercially available stuff is going to top out around 6; while really high-end products may go higher, it's gonna be expensive, and there are usually cheaper ways of boosting your Dice Pool than trying for a top-end program.

Programs are just data. They can be harmed by other programs and things that disrupt electronics.

Where they are in the book depends on what book you have... in the 20th anniversary edition, they're on page 232-234.

Vknight
2013-02-21, 03:23 AM
Rating is basically how complex and useful the program is.
For example, think of the Edit program. Edit is a combination Word Processor/Photo Editor/Movie Suite. A Rating 1 Edit program is more or less Notepad/MS Paint. It's useful, but it lacks a lot of features, and to get much out of it, you have to know computers pretty well.
A rating 2 program is a step up... Word Pad. You can do a bit more with the text, but it's not flexible and is missing a lot of features higher-end products would have.
By rating 4, you're starting to look at Photoshop. You can make good edits of a variety of media, and have a fair degree of fine control. If you're not too good with computers, this can even smooth over some of your errors.

Most commercially available stuff is going to top out around 6; while really high-end products may go higher, it's gonna be expensive, and there are usually cheaper ways of boosting your Dice Pool than trying for a top-end program.

Programs are just data. They can be harmed by other programs and things that disrupt electronics.

Where they are in the book depends on what book you have... in the 20th anniversary edition, they're on page 232-234.

&*&* just realized I put Spirits when I meant Summons.
So change what I asked in my last group of questions to Summons

LibraryOgre
2013-02-21, 11:17 AM
**** just realized I put Spirits when I meant Summons.
So change what I asked in my last group of questions to Summons

And I read that as still being about programs, so no worries. Spirits are the most common form of summon... in fact, most other things you can summon are just exotic forms of spirits.

1) Rating is the the power of the spirit. Weaker spirits are weaker (duh), but are easier to summon and less likely to cause drain.
2) In the Spirits section; I'm at work now, so I don't have the page reference handy.
3) I'm less familiar with this. IIRC, they are harmed normally by melee, very little by firearms, and take good damage from elemental attacks (like flamethrowers) and spells, but I am totally going off memory of 3e.

TheOOB
2013-02-23, 02:52 AM
Not very helpful but yeah I'll take a look through the book again.

5th Edition, Shadowrun?

Honestly a lot, SR 4e is borderline unplayable even when you know and understand the rules, and the structure of the book doesn't make that level of understanding easy. Unfortunately I have no faith in CGL(I wish the license would default to NECA so someone who isn't best known from stealing from freelancers can control it), but I'm open to be presently surprised.

As for OPs questions, Mark Hall handled most of them well, as for what can and cannot harm spirits it's not too difficult. Spirits have the Immunity to Normal Weapons Power. This gives them Hardened Armor equal to twice their force agienst any non-magical attack forms. Hardened is just like normal armor, but if the armor rating is greater than the damage, instead of converting to stun, it's ignored entirely.

The only thing that bypasses ITNW is magical attacks, that is spells, attacks from spirits, and weapon foci(there are also attacks of will from Street Magic, but that's a banishing thing). Any astral attack will also ignore ITNW(as they are magic). Without magic, your best bet is heavy armor penetration. Elemental attacks are preferable, as most energy types ignore half of the targets armor. Yes that means Stick-n-Shock ammo is more deadly to spirits than Ex Explosive rounds(actually Stick-n-Shock ammo is the best ammo in the game).

If you plan on doing anything more than simple hacking, you'll need Unwired, as most of the rules are there, and if you want more info on Spirits than just the basics, you'll need Street Magic. Also, if you want lots of SR info, go to the dumpshock forums, they are the official unofficial forums(As in they are an order of magnitude more active than the official forums).

Vknight
2013-02-23, 11:28 AM
I personally have not found the game that difficult outside of hacking and spirits but that is just me

Well I already knew the Stick-n-Shock thing. I remember a Bounty Hunter took out 3 PC's within 2 rounds with the stuff.
So a Spirit with rating 4. Has 8 armor. And my ex-explosive rounds -1Ap does not reduce that. So my machine pistol has to get 5 hits to hurt the spirit, correct?

Andrewmoreton
2013-02-23, 11:40 AM
The AP score does reduce the armour value you need to beat otherwise SnS would be no better than regular ammo.
So force 4 spirit has from INW 8 Hardened armour , so if you fire your 4p machine pistol at it
Normal ammo need to do at least 9 damage so 5 successes
flechette ammo 6 p vs I +5 needs at least 9 success (do not use flechette vs spirits)
Improved EX ammo damage is 5p -1 AP so need 3 successes
APDS 4P -4 AP need 1 success
(I ban SnS for anything except shotguns so I cannot remember their base damage) SnS halves the armour so you will need at least 1 success regardless of the damage code to hit the spirit.
Called shots can also help defeat Spirit armour. What does not help overcome armour is the damage bonus from firing a burst
Flamethrowers , Lasers and Taser's can work well as they use half armour , but this matters most against higher force spirits.
Your machine pistol against a force 8 spirit is not going to work well , you need a mage or a bigger gun.

I don't particularly like the hacking rules but had the same opinion of 1st. 2nd, and 3rd ed so I don't see that as a problem with 4th ed. Never had a player of a decker or Hacker so that hasn't been a problem. As I have never actually needed to use them I cannot say if they are broken or not

hiryuu
2013-02-23, 01:15 PM
Well these (http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2013/01/shadowrun-fifth-edition-the-next-step/) three (http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2013/02/sr5-dev-blog-where-do-dice-come-from/) Dev Blogs (http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2013/02/sr5-dev-blog-more-about-limits-and-exceeding-them/) should give you an idea. Their ideas on how dice pools will work sound pretty cool.

Oh, yes. I'm very excited about the changes to hacking ^_^

TheOOB
2013-02-24, 04:09 AM
I personally have not found the game that difficult outside of hacking and spirits but that is just me

Well I already knew the Stick-n-Shock thing. I remember a Bounty Hunter took out 3 PC's within 2 rounds with the stuff.
So a Spirit with rating 4. Has 8 armor. And my ex-explosive rounds -1Ap does not reduce that. So my machine pistol has to get 5 hits to hurt the spirit, correct?

AP always reduces armor, but your damage is said case would need to exceed 7(before burst fire mods) in order to deal any damage. And force 4 spirits are not where the problem is, force 6+ are.

As you play the game, you'll find more problems. Elemental damage is extremely poorly defined(reading the rules, tell me if lightning bolt deals physical or stun damage, or what exactly happens when I cast flamethrower? Neither has a clear cut answer). The character creation system is very dense and encourages a truly epic amount of min-maxing, dice pools can be broken extremely easily, mental manipulation spells are blatantly OP, melee combat is so borked it's pretty much not worth using, ect.

It has some good ideas, but there are a lot of really glaring flaws that are in the system that should have been picked up with good editing and playtesting, and considering they were not in the years between SR4 and SR4A(but they did feel the need to add a new drain system for direct damage spells which is a terrible fix to the problem that doesn't exist), makes me skeptical of CGL's ability to deliver a quality product.

Also, limits to dice pool solutions is a cop out solution to the problem of absurd dice pools. The problem is caused by various talents, items, 'ware, mods, magic, ect all giving very poorly balanced and play tested bonuses to rolls that all stack too easily, and the solution is actually playtesting and balancing every ability and bonus you add to the game to make sure it cannot be abused. Adding success limits is there way of saying they don't want to spend the effort to balance bonuses, and just say you can only ever be so good at something.

ShadowFighter15
2013-02-24, 08:32 AM
The problem is caused by various talents, items, 'ware, mods, magic, ect...

From the way the blog posts were worded, I got the impression that they were cutting down on this as well as the limit thing.

I like the sound of the limits, to be honest - hard to make a decent shot if you've got a cheap, old pistol with wonky sights and a slightly bent barrel (or one so old that the rifling has worn away to practically nothing) than a Predator IV fresh off the Ares assembly line.

Odds are; some of the stuff that gave additional dice to a roll (like a smartgun system) will instead increase the limit on that action instead. So if a pistol has Accuracy 4, a smartgun system might raise that to Accuracy 6.

Mind you - that's just an example of how I read the posts, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Besides; I can't see the point of adding a million and one ways to increase your dice pool when you've already put a limit system like that into place. Oh, I'm sure there'll still be ways to increase the pools, but now they're not the only way to increase your chances of success at an action.

LibraryOgre
2013-02-24, 01:52 PM
Odds are; some of the stuff that gave additional dice to a roll (like a smartgun system) will instead increase the limit on that action instead. So if a pistol has Accuracy 4, a smartgun system might raise that to Accuracy 6.

Which, for me, is fantastic. I like the idea, and have been thinking about using it for hacking (with Program Rating being the limit), but hadn't hashed it out. I am cautiously optimistic.

Though I really hope they play with the math for character advancement.

hiryuu
2013-02-25, 03:56 AM
Which, for me, is fantastic. I like the idea, and have been thinking about using it for hacking (with Program Rating being the limit), but hadn't hashed it out. I am cautiously optimistic.

Though I really hope they play with the math for character advancement.

Hacking will indeed be Attribute + Skill, cap equal to cyberdeck quality (and they're calling them cyberdecks again, hooray), and Programs will increase functionality and add more action type options!

Want to know more about technos, my favorite AT. >_>

Vknight
2013-02-25, 04:37 PM
Upgrading technomancers?
Or tossing them.
Also I like that idea for programs not guns.
Is it really that important to be called a Cyber-deck

hiryuu
2013-02-25, 06:36 PM
Upgrading technomancers?
Or tossing them.

I just wanna see what the sidegrade is like. They're my favorite magic user type, and I've never gotten the chance to even play one. I have so many unused ideas.

Also I like that idea for programs not guns.

Personally, I do. Makes your gear selection very important. It means no matter how good you are, a zip gun is still... just a zip gun. Also, Edge lets you break the cap, thereby allowing you to "get lucky" every so often with said zip gun.

Is it really that important to be called a Cyber-deck

Not particularly, but quick, that thing you use on your desk, do you call it a rig, a computer, a PC, a desktop, or an internet terminal? Is that thing outside a hog, a motorcycle, a bike, or a burner?

Anderlith
2013-02-25, 07:04 PM
Yay I can have a Decker again & not a "hacker". A friend of mine who had gotten SR4 for us to play didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned them

I like the cap limits, but I think that your Attribute should be the cap & your roll should be Skill + X (Item's rating, miscellaneous advantages etc.)

Sure you're you're a master at something but you are limited to your own body

Vknight
2013-02-27, 06:03 AM
So its not really its just some people don't like the fact that they called deckers what they are Hackers. It does not matter he's still a Hacker just he uses a Deck

I think it makes a big deal cause I pull out a gun with 1 accuracy and I can shoot the wings off flies.
Heck one of the big things with movies about gunslingers is that its not the gun its his skill.
Sure a good gun is nice and all and a bad one will effect things.
But give a gun that just shot a hole through that quarter a different gun and he will do it again

Actually its a Puma outside. And a holographic display system on the inside.

Anderlith
2013-02-27, 08:30 AM
So its not really its just some people don't like the fact that they called deckers what they are Hackers. It does not matter he's still a Hacker just he uses a Deck

I think it makes a big deal cause I pull out a gun with 1 accuracy and I can shoot the wings off flies.
Heck one of the big things with movies about gunslingers is that its not the gun its his skill.
But give a gun that just shot a hole through that quarter a different gun and he will do it again

Actually its a Puma outside. And a holographic display system on the inside. Names go a long way when it comes to feel, fluff, & flavor. Strip away all the slang, all the lore, & suddenly it's not Shadowrun anymore. Change too much of something & suddenly the game doesn't feel like it's namesake, just look at 4E D&D

LibraryOgre
2013-02-27, 03:09 PM
Yay I can have a Decker again & not a "hacker". A friend of mine who had gotten SR4 for us to play didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned them

I like the cap limits, but I think that your Attribute should be the cap & your roll should be Skill + X (Item's rating, miscellaneous advantages etc.)

Sure you're you're a master at something but you are limited to your own body

That's similar to L5R... Stat+Skill, but you only get to choose a number of dice equal to Stat to make your total (with exploding dice counting as a single die; with explosion, it's possible to roll 49 on a single d10)

Anderlith
2013-02-27, 05:19 PM
That's similar to L5R... Stat+Skill, but you only get to choose a number of dice equal to Stat to make your total (with exploding dice counting as a single die; with explosion, it's possible to roll 49 on a single d10)

& Seventh Sea, I've used in a game that I made, cause it just seems to be the best way to represent skill & ability

hiryuu
2013-02-28, 12:46 AM

And spending Edge will let you do that now. Spending Edge lets you break caps, that's what sold me on it. Edge also comes back much faster, too. You can still get that lucky shot off reliably.

It is unlikely there will be any guns with an accuracy of 1. I think the lowest they mentioned is the accuracy 3 crapshooter for the team's decker. It's just right for him. This is actually modeled really well: a professional sharpshooter isn't going to use a gun that's wrong for his shooting style. Maybe that 9 mm off the shelf is fine for your unskilled decker but your gunslinger needs something with a bit more accuracy that can handle his ability.

TheOOB
2013-02-28, 02:51 AM

The problem with the roll and keep system(L5R, 7th Sea), is that it tremendously overvalues Traits over Skills(or Knacks). Not only does your Trait apply to far more rolls, but it is far more impactful on those rolls, meaning that skill points were only worth getting if you rolled the skill all the time. In L5R 4e I only bought skill points for their mastery abilities, as saving to increase a trait just made more sense.

Also the raise system was silly. You never got any benefit from your really good rolls, because no one is calling 8 raises and expecting a quadruple exploding die.

Vknight
2013-02-28, 04:50 AM
And spending Edge will let you do that now. Spending Edge lets you break caps, that's what sold me on it. Edge also comes back much faster, too. You can still get that lucky shot off reliably.

It is unlikely there will be any guns with an accuracy of 1. I think the lowest they mentioned is the accuracy 3 crapshooter for the team's decker. It's just right for him. This is actually modeled really well: a professional sharpshooter isn't going to use a gun that's wrong for his shooting style. Maybe that 9 mm off the shelf is fine for your unskilled decker but your gunslinger needs something with a bit more accuracy that can handle his ability.

The 1 accuracy is a over exagereation to prove a point
But there is my problem
The Gunslinger is in a bind. Lets say trapped inside a office and couldn't or doesn't have his preferred guns. And why can't he use old style revolvers?No why not? Why can't I have a cybered up cowboy blasting through a place with EX-Explosive ammo?
Grabs a pistol its a dinky 9mm but he's still a expert marksman and this is a decent gun not modified of course but still a good gun.
And there is the problem he gets ruined in that situation.
Oh one shot into the guy coming in through the door and if I want it to drop him then I have to spend edge.
I don't like the idea where I make a good shot and I won't kill the person cause not all my success's are counted so instead I have to rely on edge.

I do like edge restoring faster. And the idea of it breaking caps and capabilities in some way or form.

@Anderlith. Fair enough, fair enough but counter point its a evolution of the world. The decking unit went out of style and people started referring to them as hackers. They went back to a old term because the new term was no longer needed or used because of the changes in technology. And I liked that idea and probably will play around with that in a 4th Shadowrun when I run it where there will be a pair of rival factions in a gang the Hackers & Deckers

DigoDragon
2013-02-28, 09:05 AM
(I ban SnS for anything except shotguns so I cannot remember their base damage)

I want to say base SnS is 6.

Our current Shadowrun GM left SnS as is, so I've installed the electrical insulation option on all my armors in response. Of course now the trick is getting resistance to all these Holloweeners with flamethrowers. :smalltongue:

Names go a long way when it comes to feel, fluff, & flavor. Strip away all the slang, all the lore, & suddenly it's not Shadowrun anymore.

I feel the same way. A lot of the personal charm I find in Shadowrun is all the fluff bits like the lingo, the Megacorp names, the gritty feel of the downtrodden streets. Probably lends itself to why I love the setting of Batman Beyond a lot.

ShadowFighter15
2013-02-28, 10:50 PM
Besides - weren't cyberdecks these big, bulky things that were only used for hacking? Like you couldn't just walk down the street with one of these across your back without everyone recognising you as being a decker? While modern commlinks are as ubiquitous as smart phones are becoming?

Anderlith
2013-02-28, 11:07 PM
Besides - weren't cyberdecks these big, bulky things that were only used for hacking? Like you couldn't just walk down the street with one of these across your back without everyone recognising you as being a decker? While modern commlinks are as ubiquitous as smart phones are becoming?

Well, look at it this way, technically you can hack something with a cellphone. But it is much easier to hack something with a laptop with all the right software & programming. Decks were about as big as a small electric keyboard. Infact an old character of mine had a deck that looked like a small electric keyboard he moonlighted in a Goblinpunk band...

TheOOB
2013-03-01, 03:31 AM

Really any power user of the matrix would use a cyberdeck(or a comm terminal), and decker fashion was kind of chic. Carrying a cyberdeck wasn't like carrying an assault rifle. There were legit uses for it.

Raum
2013-03-01, 09:03 AM
Besides - weren't cyberdecks these big, bulky things that were only used for hacking? Like you couldn't just walk down the street with one of these across your back without everyone recognising you as being a decker? While modern commlinks are as ubiquitous as smart phones are becoming?In 2E, cyberdecks were laptop equivalents. They were simply a way for someone to plug so they could work (or play) - legally or not. Someone carrying one was more likely a corporate drone than a decker.

LibraryOgre
2013-03-01, 04:05 PM
In 2E, cyberdecks were laptop equivalents. They were simply a way for someone to plug so they could work (or play) - legally or not. Someone carrying one was more likely a corporate drone than a decker.

Or even a corporate decker, for that matter.

Pre-4e, IME, didn't give much thought to non-decker computing. There were things like the Pocket Secretary, but there was little sense, from me, that it was expected that most PCs would have a computer in anything other than a "My lifestyle is Middle or higher" sense. Pocket Secretaries were something of a luxury in my groups, and there wasn't a real sense of what a 100mP computer was good for.

Vknight
2013-03-02, 06:12 AM
Which makes a big difference with the fact that commlinks are something that every character carries
And keeps that immersion

TheOOB
2013-03-02, 11:50 PM
The problem with the AR rules is that they tried to make commlinks and AR ubiquitous, which makes sense, thats a logical place for technology to be headed, but they made actually using AR require specialized skills and programs and seem to be trying to make the rules optional.

So what you have is a ubiquitous thing that most characters can't interact with in a meaningful way.