PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette for Repeated Questions

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-02-19, 12:23 AM
What is the etiquette about posting seeking a response to a question that you have previously asked, but not gotten an answer to, on these forums? I know that on this forum, bumping a thread for attention is considered rude, as is making "double posting" here in quotation marks because I'm referring to a different post made immediately after a previous post of yours, rather than a forum glitch causing the first post to be repeated, because such posting can be viewed as talking too much or being needy for attention.

I ask because I have some questions I made a thread in the 3.5/PF section to ask (largely regarding how the different dhampir sub-groups might synergize with the inquisitor class due to their varying attribute bonuses in Pathfinder), that seems, for lack of a better term, to have been ignored, as the only post in the thread is my own first post, so any subsequent posts by me would likely be considered a breach of etiquette.

ThePhantasm
2013-02-19, 12:48 AM
It could simply mean that no one knows the answer, or was intrigued enough by the question to try to find out. Not every question on an internet forum is guaranteed to get an answer.

As you said in your post, bumping is frowned upon.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-02-19, 12:55 AM
I'm more inclined to think the latter, as it got some views, but no posts. So how do I go about getting an answer? Making a new thread asking the same thing would be spamming. I'm trying to develop a character for a game and I can't finish it until these questions in the thread are answered. :smallsigh:

TaiLiu
2013-02-19, 01:14 AM
...I'm trying to develop a character for a game and I can't finish it...

Well, you could always ask your Dungeon Master.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-02-19, 01:27 AM
There isn't one...yet...I'm pre-making a character that I can submit quickly to recruitment threads, allowing me to get my foot in the door quickly and thus minimize the chance that other potential players will create a character too similar in concept, thus maximizing my chances of playing the character concept that I want to play. :smallredface:

TaiLiu
2013-02-19, 01:37 AM
Hm. Have you tried the Question and Answer thread for Pathfinder?

Killer Angel
2013-02-19, 05:08 AM
What is the etiquette about posting seeking a response to a question that you have previously asked, but not gotten an answer to, on these forums?

I ask because I have some questions I made a thread in the 3.5/PF section to ask, that seems, for lack of a better term, to have been ignored, as the only post in the thread is my own first post, so any subsequent posts by me would likely be considered a breach of etiquette

The correct behavior is to let the thread die, then, after six weeks, you can make another thread on the subject, with a new question, eventually developed in a different way.
But don't make an habit of it, otherwise, if it is recurrent, it can be considered spam.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-02-19, 07:52 AM
Hm. Have you tried the Question and Answer thread for Pathfinder?

Isn't that more for rules questions than optimization ones?

PersonMan
2013-02-19, 09:04 AM
There isn't one...yet...I'm pre-making a character that I can submit quickly to recruitment threads, allowing me to get my foot in the door quickly and thus minimize the chance that other potential players will create a character too similar in concept, thus maximizing my chances of playing the character concept that I want to play. :smallredface:

This seems pretty unnecessary to me. I mean, generally one would bring up their concept in the thread when they enter and other people would refrain from going for a similar one...or it wouldn't matter if you said it first because you both want the same thing and it's competition for a spot.

As a DM, having someone throw up a pre-made character using the wrong rules (unless you're talking about just making a build you will almost assuredly need to use something that varies from DM to DM and get it "wrong" for one or the other) gives me a significantly worse first impression that someone who just writes up a description of their concept.

NerdyKris
2013-02-19, 12:06 PM
I'm more inclined to think the latter, as it got some views, but no posts. So how do I go about getting an answer? Making a new thread asking the same thing would be spamming. I'm trying to develop a character for a game and I can't finish it until these questions in the thread are answered. :smallsigh:

Your best bet would be to ask in another forum. As in a more dedicated website than this one, with a larger user base. This is a forum for a webcomic related to D&D. You might have more luck asking the question in a forum dedicated soley to D&D rules. (I have no idea what that might be)

This is the internet, with a near limitless number of websites dedicated to millions of topics. There's no reason to stick to one forum when you need information.

Malak'ai
2013-02-19, 03:57 PM
Without reading your original post I don't know how much help this will be, but maybe try refining your question. Make it direct and to the point or change it so that it could be answered in a broader way.

Sometimes the questions we ask might seem easy to understand to us but when posed to others, they're more like a maze people have to labour through to understand what you're looking for.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-02-19, 07:47 PM
This seems pretty unnecessary to me. I mean, generally one would bring up their concept in the thread when they enter and other people would refrain from going for a similar one...or it wouldn't matter if you said it first because you both want the same thing and it's competition for a spot.

As a DM, having someone throw up a pre-made character using the wrong rules (unless you're talking about just making a build you will almost assuredly need to use something that varies from DM to DM and get it "wrong" for one or the other) gives me a significantly worse first impression that someone who just writes up a description of their concept.
But by the time I'm able to have a good few hours to post, something incredibly rare when I'm working two jobs, there's invariably ten or more other people with fully written sheets by then, which makes my chances of impressing rather slim. I feel like if I'm not within the first 5 or so completed characters any hopes I have of being considered are dead in the water. And requesting a particular game just to guarantee yourself a slot is probably the crassest thing you could do.

Roland St. Jude
2013-02-19, 11:46 PM
The correct behavior is to let the thread die, then, after six weeks, you can make another thread on the subject, with a new question, eventually developed in a different way.
But don't make an habit of it, otherwise, if it is recurrent, it can be considered spam.This is the approved course of action. You shouldn't bump the thread and you shouldn't start a new thread while the old one is active. If no one is interested in discussing your post or answering your question, then that's just how it is. If you want to try again in six weeks, okay, but don't keep asking the same question every six weeks, because that will start to be spam pretty quickly.

Your best bet would be to ask in another forum. As in a more dedicated website than this one, with a larger user base. This is a forum for a webcomic related to D&D. You might have more luck asking the question in a forum dedicated soley to D&D rules. (I have no idea what that might be)This may be your best bet for an answer. PF has a whole forum dedicated to it over at the Paizo site.

Sheriff: Thread locked.