PDA

View Full Version : Nale the vampire-slayer

Finagle
2013-02-19, 01:51 AM
You know, I just thought Nale was being a murderous jerk when he killed Malack's children. I thought they were baby lizards, not children as in "children of the night". Vampire spawn are pretty hard to kill, what with the gaseous form and regeneration and all. Maybe one of Nale's overly complicated plans actually worked? I'm sure we'll get the backstory on it eventually but it will probably be a while.

jidasfire
2013-02-19, 03:12 AM
Don't misread me, I still think Nale is a vile little creep, but knowing he killed some vampires instead of defenseless little lizard kids does make me just a tiny bit less disgusted with him.

Mike Havran
2013-02-19, 04:10 AM
It's still possible that Malack became a vampire only after Nale killed his genuine lizardfolk kids.

Katuko
2013-02-19, 04:35 AM
It might also be that Malack turned his real lizardfolk kids into vampires, meaning Nale killed both kinds of "children" in one go. Of course, that would mean that Malack actually has biological children (which does seem somewhat unlikely now, if he's been a vampire since even before he started questing with Tarquin) and that he would turn them into vampires as well without apparent reason.

I'm a bit iffy on the D&D rules on this matter, but considering we have half-dragons and half-orcs etc., are there dhampyrs as well? Meaning, a child of a vampire and a non-vampire; which then turn out half-vampire when born?

Morty
2013-02-19, 06:02 AM
Malack was already white-scaled and pink-eyed in Tarquin's flashback. Besides, if Malack's children were actually vampire spawns, it answers the question of why he didn't just raise them after Nale killed them.

Gift Jeraff
2013-02-19, 07:12 AM
I told you guys Nale is the real hero.

The Pilgrim
2013-02-19, 07:24 AM
He did it for the XP.

lio45
2013-02-19, 07:27 AM
It's still possible that Malack became a vampire only after Nale killed his genuine lizardfolk kids.

I don't think so.

Tarquin's somewhat dismissive attitude of Malack's children loss had always puzzled me a bit, and this now explains it perfectly.

(Maybe it's just me, but "Man up, this is business, it's important... okay, the guy killed all of your biological children, but is that such a big deal? Put that behind you and let's all work together for profit" sounded... a bit abnormal without further context. Not anymore.)

nephilia
2013-02-19, 07:29 AM
It might also be that Malack turned his real lizardfolk kids into vampires, meaning Nale killed both kinds of "children" in one go. Of course, that would mean that Malack actually has biological children (which does seem somewhat unlikely now, if he's been a vampire since even before he started questing with Tarquin) and that he would turn them into vampires as well without apparent reason.

I'm a bit iffy on the D&D rules on this matter, but considering we have half-dragons and half-orcs etc., are there dhampyrs as well? Meaning, a child of a vampire and a non-vampire; which then turn out half-vampire when born?

Half vampire is totally possible.
Liber Mortis in 3.5 stated that a pregnant lady bit by a vampire could transfer the curse to his progeny.
The creature will born with some albino's peculiar trait (pale skin, bright eye etc) and have some of the vampire plus and minus (so they could be sun resistant and can procreate spawn as well).
The only problem is that a lizard-folk they should procreate by eggs... well maybe a vampire bit Malack's mother before she laid her eggs :P

He did it for the XP.

That's for sure XD

Doxkid
2013-02-19, 11:21 AM
One thing you need to keep in mind is that, for vampires, spawn are basically your children.

A common theme for vampires is "turning your loved ones into spawn so you can all live together forever" and Malack has demonstrated a very large amount of respect for both the dead and any undead he creates. We can reasonably doubt that he created them without thinking things over and, at the very least, them either wanting to be spawn of him believing there was no other alternative. If he will only grudgingly make mummies (when he thinks he has his god's blessing), he shouldn't be turning every level 1 commoner he finds into vampires.

It may not seem like it to normal players (and especially wont seem like this to minmaxers, who view Spawn as "Disposable troops that are fanatically devoted to dying in my name") but I think heloved his spawn at least as much as a normal person would love their godchild; to clarify, I mean a godchild by way of your best friend or sibling's offspring and not Godchild by way of a cousin you've never met picking your name out of a hat.

If someone killed your godchild, which of the following would you be?
*Mildly Annoyed

*Upset

*Angry

*Ready to go on a murderous revenge-rampage