PDA

View Full Version : Bitten in the head?

Red Lantern
2013-02-19, 03:40 AM
I'm not trying to be sarcastic or make fun of the art, although I'm sure some people will accuse me of it, but did malak bite belkar in the head because the stick figures have no necks?

And in a no doubtless futile effort to keep some d ick from implying I'm mocking the art, I'd remind folks that in cliffport rich made fun of the fact that his stickfigures have no noses.

So was it a joke rich made about his figures having no necks or was biting the head the way malak's kind normally does things? I'm just asking.

kraazivaan
2013-02-19, 04:01 AM
Given the art style and the size of Malack's mouth, if he had gone for the more traditional neck-biting, it could be interpreted as, "Malack is trying to bite his head _off_". And while people would still figure out what was going on, there would likely be enough confusion that the impact of the strip would be diminished. So while this is not the classical vampire bite location, I think this makes it more obvious what is going on.

Red Lantern
2013-02-19, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the reply. Makes some sense.

Katuko
2013-02-19, 04:38 AM
It's also creepy as hell this way. I mean, I don't like vampire bites in general (bloodsucking from a living target squicks me out) but having a giant alligator mouth chomp into your skull to take a drink? Max creepy right there. I've had no problem with people getting sliced or decapitated or imploded before, but this one bite made me a bit uneasy when I first saw it.

Well played.

Chantelune
2013-02-19, 06:04 AM
That, and Belkar have an infamously huge head that saved his life once when he was being hanged back in the thieves camp soon after the first dungeon. :smalltongue:

VanaGalen
2013-02-20, 11:11 AM
I think the fact that the rest of Belkar's body seems to be smaller than Malack's jaw left only this one possibility. Otherwise it would look as Malack was swallowing Belkar. Plus, as Katuko mentioned, it's extra gross this way.

dps
2013-02-20, 02:35 PM
(bloodsucking from a living target squicks me out)

C'mon, mosquitoes aren't that creepy. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I just figured that, while we're not quit sure exactly what Malack is (or was, before being a vampire), he's clearly some sort of lizard folk type, and lizards are reptile, and repiles normally swallow their prey headfirst.

Coppertop
2013-02-20, 03:29 PM
What this makes me wonder is will those holes remain on Belkar's head. A fun shorthand with Vamps in art is leaving the bite marks as scars. I can't think of any other vampires besides Malack that have appeared, and we don't gt a great look at his neck, so not sure if this will be a thing.

The idea of Bitekar with a line of holes in his head both disturbing and... oddly endearing, for him.

jumpoffduck
2013-02-20, 04:19 PM
I can't think of any other vampires besides Malack that have appeared, and we don't gt a great look at his neck, so not sure if this will be a thing.

Vampire Roy! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0474.html)

Charity322
2013-02-20, 10:48 PM
And Vampire Roy bites the hobgoblin in the side of the head (near where the neck would be if he had one). Malack's mouth is just so big that if he aims for the side of the head he also gets the rest of it. XD

Red Lantern
2013-02-21, 12:23 AM
Well, I'm glad no one decided to claim I was mocking the art. As I said, even rich made fun of himself when he made the joke about the figures having no noses.

Onigoblin
2013-02-21, 02:59 AM
Maybe Malack isn't a vampire?

He's biting a subdued opponent (Hold Person) and presumably just hurt Belkar with a cleric domain ability (no spell components used), leaving Belkar literally smoking from the effect. What sauce would YOU use for BBQ'd halfling, anyway?

I'm thinking Malack is not a lizardfolk...I'm guessing he's some sort of slaad and has just infected the shoeless-one with slaad babies through his bite.

That's right, my money's on Belkar becoming a mommy.

Oh, and first post.

edit-Never mind, Word of Rich is that Malack is a vamp.

Chantelune
2013-02-21, 06:01 AM
What this makes me wonder is will those holes remain on Belkar's head. A fun shorthand with Vamps in art is leaving the bite marks as scars. I can't think of any other vampires besides Malack that have appeared, and we don't gt a great look at his neck, so not sure if this will be a thing.

The idea of Bitekar with a line of holes in his head both disturbing and... oddly endearing, for him.

Yeah, I'm sure Belkar would be happy to keep a totally kickass "battle damaged" look (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0450.html) that wouldn't get away when he swallow a potion. :smallbiggrin:

Giggling Ghast
2013-02-21, 06:05 AM
I should note that, when Haley imagines Roy as a vampire (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0474.html), the two bite marks on the neck of the hobgoblin cleric he kills are on said cleric's head.

Cerlis
2013-02-21, 06:07 AM
Given the art style and the size of Malack's mouth, if he had gone for the more traditional neck-biting, it could be interpreted as, "Malack is trying to bite his head _off_". And while people would still figure out what was going on, there would likely be enough confusion that the impact of the strip would be diminished. So while this is not the classical vampire bite location, I think this makes it more obvious what is going on.

the problem is that many people have been suggesting or thinking that he ISNT a vampire because he is biting him in the head.

I'm sure the scene would have looked fine with him going for the neck(area).

I'm an advocate of the fact that Rich doesnt restrict himself with 3.5 rules anymore but its still taken from 3.5 world and in that a Vampire can turn you by sucking on your thumb.

Biting the neck i'm pretty sure is brought out by dracula who turns a hicky into something creepy.

ReaderAt2046
2013-02-21, 11:11 AM
the problem is that many people have been suggesting or thinking that he ISNT a vampire because he is biting him in the head.

I'm sure the scene would have looked fine with him going for the neck(area).

I'm an advocate of the fact that Rich doesnt restrict himself with 3.5 rules anymore but its still taken from 3.5 world and in that a Vampire can turn you by sucking on your thumb.

Biting the neck i'm pretty sure is brought out by dracula who turns a hicky into something creepy.

Vampires probably go for the neck because the jugular is one of the biggest veins in the body.

IronMountaineer
2013-02-21, 12:35 PM
There is something a bit odd about a cold blooded creature being a vampire.

Between no neck and the head biting looking so cool I think that biting him in the head was the best choice

Katuko
2013-02-21, 04:47 PM
C'mon, mosquitoes aren't that creepy. :smallbiggrin:

Not when they're so small you can't even see the wound, true. But the larger they get, or the more numerous, and the more liquid that is transferred... it starts squicking me more and more. :)

Charity322
2013-02-21, 06:17 PM
Not when they're so small you can't even see the wound, true. But the larger they get, or the more numerous, and the more liquid that is transferred... it starts squicking me more and more. :)

Vampire bats!