PDA

View Full Version : about explosive runes

_felagund
2013-02-19, 03:49 AM
hey guys,

as a dm, i'm considering to use some explosive runes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/explosiveRunes.htm) in my game, but i have some doubts and want to hear your ideas..

1. should runes readable only by magic users? or maybe they are meaningles words just enough to trigger spell?

2. how can a player avoid it? it sounds little unfair, if you read (or search) it explodes, if you wont you dont know what it is..

thx in advance

Erik Vale
2013-02-19, 04:03 AM
Trapfinding has some way to find it I think [someone find it], also, it becomes somewhat obvious should 2 abjurations spells be close to each other for 24 hours [see abjuration school rules/discription] granting a bonus to notice it, should the runes have been close enough.

And the runes can be written in any language, you writer could make it so only people that can read magic can read it [good way to target the party wizard. You know, the guy with lower HP, poor reflex saves and a lack of evasion], or so anyone could. As for if language it's written in effects it's activation, *Shrug*.

Pandiano
2013-02-19, 06:19 AM
Trapfinding has some way to find it I think [someone find it], also, it becomes somewhat obvious should 2 abjurations spells be close to each other for 24 hours [see abjuration school rules/discription] granting a bonus to notice it, should the runes have been close enough.

And the runes can be written in any language, you writer could make it so only people that can read magic can read it [good way to target the party wizard. You know, the guy with lower HP, poor reflex saves and a lack of evasion], or so anyone could. As for if language it's written in effects it's activation, *Shrug*.

The last part ist not exactly true. Reading does not imply understanding. Writing explosive runes in anothe language makes no difference.

OP: Explosive Runes are not about fairness :-) I usually tell them, they found text or scripture of some sort. If they ask what it says, what language it is, or anything else, that implies reading or taking a closer look...BOOM. If they back away they are safe.

Psyren
2013-02-19, 10:25 AM
1. should runes readable only by magic users? or maybe they are meaningles words just enough to trigger spell?

Any attempt to understand them sets them off, even if understanding isn't actually possible for the reader. That's why they work on (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0173.html) non-magic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0221.html) users.

2. how can a player avoid it? it sounds little unfair, if you read (or search) it explodes, if you wont you dont know what it is..

thx in advance

Evasion :smalltongue:

Jane_Smith
2013-02-19, 10:28 AM
I would make it common and put it as "Warning, read below before continuing!" and have something like "I heard this hurts quite a bit." With hurts being the activation.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-19, 10:29 AM
Any attempt to understand them sets them off, even if understanding isn't actually possible for the reader. That's why they work on (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0173.html) non-magic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0221.html) users.

Evasion :smalltongue:

If you're within 5 ft of the rune when it goes off (which you have to be to be able to read it (i.e. set it off) in the first place) it allows no save.

So, if you're the one who triggered the trap... no. :smalltongue:

Psyren
2013-02-19, 10:30 AM
So, if you're the one who triggered the trap... no. :smalltongue:

Good point. Best not to read anything in a dungeon, ever!

Story
2013-02-19, 10:32 AM
Alternatively, read everything via telescope.

hydraa
2013-02-19, 01:45 PM
I just used it recently on a tavern bulletin board (this board had the titles visible but not the text, the board allowed only one post to be read at a time). The party was not local to the area and I had warnings on the note that it was for locals only, along with the title suggesting that it should not be read.
They read the rest of the board first and went ahead and proceeded to read the locals only post (suspecting that something bad was going to happen) and set off the runes.

Story
2013-02-19, 02:23 PM
Did someone want to murder locals or something?

hydraa
2013-02-19, 02:25 PM
No the message was only for locals, not any no-good traveling thru town PCs

huttj509
2013-02-19, 02:36 PM
No the message was only for locals, not any no-good traveling thru town PCs

Post a button somewhere with the label "warning: Do not push."

See how many passers-by push the button.

Realize why this is a bad idea.

Tork
2013-02-19, 02:43 PM

1.''Runes'' or as we call them ''symbols'' are often fairly basic so everyone can understand them. For example a ''turtle=slow'' and a ''rabbit=fast''(you can find them often on things like lawn movers). So everyone should be able to read them.

But more so, the runes would make a poor trap if they were hard to read.

2.Not read the runes. It's a bit ''unfair'', but then most traps are.....