PDA

View Full Version : Simulation games

Talesin
2013-02-19, 07:13 AM
Hi there,

I'm looking for a business or city simulation game, or something along the lines of dungeon keeper/dwarf fortress, that can be played multiplayer between and friend and I on the PC. Does anyone have any suggestions for games they've enjoyed?

We've played stuff like Openttd for a long time but I think we've just reached a point where we've played it too much. The multiplayer aspect, whether competing against each other or co-operating, is probably the most important aspect as i'm unlikely to play something like this on my own.

I quite enjoyed Sim City a long time ago but i'm not entirely sure about the multiplayer aspect of the game, has anyone got any comments on this?

Thanks for your help

Cespenar
2013-02-19, 07:19 AM
Majesty? You can find it on GoG, probably.

Wookieetank
2013-02-20, 03:07 PM
Crusader Kings 2. It's like CIV and Game of Thrones had a baby. Its on the more obnoxious side of things to figure out (there soooo much you can do), but even while learning the ropes it is very entertaing. If you've ever wanted to arrange marriages for all your relatives, scheme against your siblings for control, go to war because you "found" a paper saying you actually own a piece of land and the like, this game is for you. There's even a demo if you want to check it out beforehand.

If you want an idea of some of the crazy fun this game can be without having to play the demo, here is the playground's community game of CK2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267622).

As for other sim type games, have you checked out Sim Tower at all? It is a bit older (IIRC freeware as well, I might be wrong though) but its fun competing against a friend seeing who can build the better and more profitable tower.

Also minecraft, cause well minecraft.

Talesin
2013-02-21, 05:22 AM
Crusader Kings 2. It's like CIV and Game of Thrones had a baby. Its on the more obnoxious side of things to figure out (there soooo much you can do), but even while learning the ropes it is very entertaing. If you've ever wanted to arrange marriages for all your relatives, scheme against your siblings for control, go to war because you "found" a paper saying you actually own a piece of land and the like, this game is for you. There's even a demo if you want to check it out beforehand.

If you want an idea of some of the crazy fun this game can be without having to play the demo, here is the playground's community game of CK2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267622).

As for other sim type games, have you checked out Sim Tower at all? It is a bit older (IIRC freeware as well, I might be wrong though) but its fun competing against a friend seeing who can build the better and more profitable tower.

Also minecraft, cause well minecraft.

Hey,

Thanks for the link. I'll check out the community game. It does sound pretty fun actually and I know my friend enjoys that sort of period of history so should fit in pretty well with him.

I'll also check out Sim Tower. Sounds a bit crazy but that is the kind of thing we enjoy!

Cheers

Grif
2013-02-21, 05:35 AM
Hey,

Thanks for the link. I'll check out the community game. It does sound pretty fun actually and I know my friend enjoys that sort of period of history so should fit in pretty well with him.

I'll also check out Sim Tower. Sounds a bit crazy but that is the kind of thing we enjoy!

Cheers

While you're at it, you can also check out Europa Universalis III and its cousins, Victoria II and Hearts of Iron III. All made by Paradox and all grand strategy games.

Be warned though. These games are notorious for being difficult to learn. EU III and CK II are probably the easiest to start with.

EDIT: Sim Tower has no multiplayer IIRC.

Wookieetank
2013-02-21, 08:54 AM

No offical multiplayer, but like many games my friends and I have found, a skype call and competing for highest score adds a lot of replayability to things. Dungeons of Dremor is a fun one to have one person hit random, everyone who's competing use the same build, and then discussing your misadventures while seeing who can get the highest score.

Talesin
2013-02-21, 10:30 AM
While you're at it, you can also check out Europa Universalis III and its cousins, Victoria II and Hearts of Iron III. All made by Paradox and all grand strategy games.

Be warned though. These games are notorious for being difficult to learn. EU III and CK II are probably the easiest to start with.

Yeah i've played HoI3 and I still don't think I fully understand it. Had a read of your CK game and it looks like the kind of thing we'd be interested in. I'll have a look around EU and the other games, see if its something my friend likes.

Thanks