PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #373 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-11-10, 05:46 AM
New comic is up. (This is Thursday's, running a little late.)

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-11-10, 05:49 AM
Dwarven brandy, does it every time.

Although, it seems Rich is being paid by the anti alcoholic campaigners.

References to Monty Python, and Pokemon!

And that poor cockroach will be scarred for life now...

:roach:

Snake-Aes
2006-11-10, 05:50 AM
Miko invented the molotov! \o/

The Glitter Ninja
2006-11-10, 05:53 AM
I choose you... that is SO wrong. So very, very wrong.

Pika!

ElfLad
2006-11-10, 05:54 AM
Miko should fall for touching the demon roach "there."

And, wow, I loved this comic. It's nice to see Miko thinking, and the Pokemon reference was hilarious. The bit about the Order of the Stick seemed a bit like "I'm saying this out loud so that the audience will know what I'm thinking," though.

Azukar
2006-11-10, 05:55 AM
Ahhh! Monster in the Darkness! I sooo want to see how this turns out :D

Freelance Henchman
2006-11-10, 05:55 AM
Awesome soliloquy (sp?) by Miko! (and some good thinking as well)

Whoa, why is MITD still hanging around!?
DUN DUN DUNNNNNN!!!

Renegade Paladin
2006-11-10, 05:56 AM
Ahhhhhhh, the Pokemount. I houserule that out when I'm DMing, but cracking jokes at it's expense is always fun. :smallbiggrin:

carais
2006-11-10, 05:57 AM
Those roaches are really dirty *g* 'Take it off, honey'...

Again Miko gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'dumb as a doorknob' IMHO. She should be called an honorary dwarf (with my apologies to all dwarves).

sun_tzu
2006-11-10, 05:58 AM
Holy crapoly.
Miko's going even further wacko (sigh...), displaying the same cleverness as in some of her earlier fights, the pokeball...and meeting the creature in the darkness.
This promises to be interesting.

Curunir
2006-11-10, 05:59 AM
It was lovely. I have never thought that one can do that to a forcecage.

But the MitD was super. One of the best endings, that I could imagine. And why is MitD still there?

Alfryd
2006-11-10, 06:00 AM
New comic is up. (This is Thursday's, running a little late.)
Marvellousness.

Again Miko gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'dumb as a doorknob' IMHO. She should be called an honorary dwarf (with my apologies to all dwarves).
You're kidding me. Her plan was ingenious. And she has evasion.

Zeb The Troll
Oh my heavens. Pokemon? :smallyuk:

Can't wait to see what happens to :mitd: too.

Maybe a reveal? Nah, couldn't be. Maybe?
Once again the :roach: cracked me up.

Dhavaer
Wow. The MitD actually managed to seem ominous.

:mitd: "Hi. What's your name?"

Delgarde
2006-11-10, 06:02 AM
So, will we finally see what the creature in the shadows looks like, now that Xykon's not there to supervise?

fannymcslap
2006-11-10, 06:03 AM
Great monty python holy grail reference, nice job mate.

Zaggab
2006-11-10, 06:05 AM
This just proves that, as a villain, you should NEVER leave a hero for later. Even if she's stuck in an undestructible cage.

The_Librarian
2006-11-10, 06:07 AM
You know, Miko's actually quite pretty when she smiles, but that poor girl really needs to give the OotS a break. As for the creature in the dark... I dread to think what it could do *meep*

ElfLad
2006-11-10, 06:08 AM
Great monty python holy grail reference, nice job mate.

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Zeb The Troll
2006-11-10, 06:14 AM
Hah!

:roach:Show me on the doll where she touched you.

I missed that the first time through.

Shatteredtower
2006-11-10, 06:14 AM
I'd always thought that the cage formed a full cube, but... eh, the Giant can play it as he likes. Never thought about the fact that it's not described as unmovable before, though, so I'm glad it came up here.

That last roach scene made me very uncomfortable. Just saying.

As for the final panel... hoo, boy.

KIDS
2006-11-10, 06:20 AM
WindStriker, I choose you! *poki*

AAHHAHAAH, that was too awesome. And the "I'm being opressed". great one!

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-11-10, 06:22 AM
A paladin with a reasonable Int score?
Improbable!

carais
2006-11-10, 06:24 AM
You're kidding me. Her plan was ingenious. And she has evasion.

I did not refer to her handling of the forcecage. I was thinking about what she said about Roy & Co. Maybe dumb doesn't quite fit. I'm not sure about a good English word - thickheaded? singleminded?

edit - I mean, there's a saying going 'My opinion is set, don't confuse me with facts'. She's set her opinion about the order and nothing short of a miracle is going to change that. Not that (at the moment) there any facts that could influence her opinion, but she seemingly flatly refuses to even consider other explanations.

Noneoyabizzness
2006-11-10, 06:26 AM
ahh a thing of beauty, finally mitd should slaqughter miko

Delgarde
2006-11-10, 06:27 AM
I missed that the first time through.

Yeah, you need to keep an eye out for the roaches in any comic featuring Xykon and friends... they're almost always there to provide a laugh, but are so easy to overlook. I missed the lightsaber duel a couple of strips ago, until someone mentioned it in the forum.

Ravenlord
2006-11-10, 06:27 AM
Heh. Loved that monthy python reference. And the "pika" sound when Windstriker gets summoned. :D

Pantler
2006-11-10, 06:28 AM
That... was... hillarious :biggrin: I hope :mitd: kicks :miko:'s butt... And last but not least - GO POKEMON!!

Marller
2006-11-10, 06:33 AM
:miko:Windstriker, i choose you.

"pika"

:biggrin:

Delgarde
2006-11-10, 06:34 AM
edit - I mean, there's a saying going 'My opinion is set, don't confuse me with facts'. She's set her opinion about the order and nothing short of a miracle is going to change that. Not that (at the moment) there any facts that could influence her opinion, but she seemingly flatly refuses to even consider other explanations.

Yeah, that's about it, isn't it? She's not at all stupid - both now and previously, she's proven very good at coming up with effective plans. But once she makes a decision, it's a huge effort to get her to change it.

SMEE
2006-11-10, 06:35 AM
I did not refer to her handling of the forcecage. I was thinking about what she said about Roy & Co. Maybe dumb doesn't quite fit. I'm not sure about a good English word - thickheaded? singleminded?

I belive that she's in deeply love, and really angry about the way Roy dismissed her. Hence the hatred towards Roy & Co. :smalleek:

But that's just me... :smallsmile:

Lord Zentei
2006-11-10, 06:40 AM
Great strip. Between cocroaches being opressed, holy mounts being summoned by the pokeball and molotov coctails being made from ancient dwarven brandy, there was much to laugh at.

And he MitD cliffhanger too. Woo.

This just proves that, as a villain, you should NEVER leave a hero for later. Even if she's stuck in an undestructible cage.

Ah, but you forget that Xykon is a stereotypical evil villain. Doing stuff like that is in the job description. :smallwink:

I pray in thanks, and further ask, as always, that all who stand in opposition to the holy work of the Sapphire Guard have their evil plans revealed to the light of day so that your paladins may smite them. Praise the twelve gods. Amen.

Just classic. :smallbiggrin:

Chaingun
2006-11-10, 06:40 AM
Really enjoyable comic. I'm not sure you can manipulate a Force manifestation like a Forcecage as though it were a solid object, but hey, it's like Miko outlined a clever plan in extremis and the DM said 'okay, after a lot of trying, it works' - partly in tribute to the player's ingenuity and partly because it kept the story moving. I like how Miko has ranks in "Knowledge: Outsiders." The pokemon gag made me smile.

Anybody think that the MITD is going to be less than advertised?

Anybody think (like me) that Miko's long overdue character development will only start after the 'short, sharp shock' of doing something that will cause her to lose her Paladin abilities?

Neo
2006-11-10, 06:46 AM
Yeah, great strip with the roaches.

Also the Monty Python, Pokemon and the Family Guy references.

MitD is probably going to have a great moment next time being somewhat dim witted and abandoned.

Aidan305
2006-11-10, 06:46 AM
Oooh. Could this be the big reveal of the MitD?

Matuse
2006-11-10, 06:47 AM
Oh dear lord, this is one of the funniest ever.

"I tell you, it's the little day-to-day surprises that make unlife worth unliving."

THAT MUST BE ON A T-SHIRT! VERY SOON!

"Windstriker, I choose you!" ...including the poke-ball for the lovely added touch.

"Wow, I guess Lord Shojo's liver will thank me for that."

Too great.

Just one little problem with Forcecage creating a cube, so tipping it really becomes just rolling it...but these are the things where plot/comedy outweigh the rules.

smellie_hippie
2006-11-10, 06:48 AM
Tee hee hee. :smalltongue: Great comic, as always. Rich even shows the knack for bring humor to an otherwise destructive situation; i.e. :roach: showing the other :roach: the doll... Loved the pokeball too, I wonder if he could put that icon on the smiley page... :smallwink:

ScreamerSimon
2006-11-10, 06:49 AM
Just fantastic, loved the Pokemon reference.

JoeKano
2006-11-10, 06:59 AM
That last panel with MITD ...... now thats horror movie chill factor. Wicked bit of work.

oh yeh and Go Roaches!!!!

( Ill have to check back but do the roaches come with Xykon........or with MITD? )

Movoza
2006-11-10, 07:01 AM
Ok, I take it back. Alcohol CAN be good for you.
:mitd: has finally worked out his line! Very spooooooky :smallwink:

<damn i always knew the horse was evil>

greets

battleburn
2006-11-10, 07:04 AM
What do they teach on Paladin school. Where to squeeze demons to make them puke fire?
Anyway, Roaches rock!
The doll was great!

I didn't excpect a confrontation between Miko and the MitD.
And I don't think we will get to see a fight between them just yet. Rich wouldn't reveal the MitD, not when he is to be revealed at the best moment. Which is not when confronted with just one opponent.

That last panel with MITD ...... now thats horror movie chill factor. Wicked bit of work.

oh yeh and Go Roaches!!!!

( Ill have to check back but do the roaches come with Xykon........or with MITD? )
I believe they come with the MitD. He wasn't cleaning after himself so the dungeon got infected with them.

N_Tenshi
2006-11-10, 07:06 AM
Awww, man, I actually hoped Miko would die... aggravating person.

Sir_Norbert
2006-11-10, 07:08 AM
I pray in thanks, and further ask, as always, that all who stand in opposition to the holy work of the Sapphire Guard have their evil plans revealed to the light of day so that your paladins may smite them. Praise the twelve gods. Amen.

That must be what got :mitd: interested.... I don't think he was trying to be ominous, just flirting in the hope of some of that "light of day"!

Neo
2006-11-10, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I think the MitD was just saying hello and trying to be nice, not ominous as that would be a break in character

rosebud
2006-11-10, 07:18 AM
This just proves that, as a villain, you should NEVER leave a hero for later. Even if she's stuck in an undestructible cage.No one accused Zykon of overestimating his opponents. (A problem the Evil Overlord avoids. Allowing further final words is also a no-no.)

I am curious if she considers Durkon part of the OOTS, but I suspect not. At least Nale in the group counts as evil.

Snake-Aes
2006-11-10, 07:19 AM
Great one, Norbert, it's humorous enough to be in the strip I guess. I don't think :mitd: will be revealed, yet.

Atheist_Cleric
2006-11-10, 07:21 AM
Good comic. I think the most shocking way the Giant could go from here is have Miko prepare to reveal the MITD..then when she does it goes off-panel, but we see speech bubbles of her screaming and saying stuff like "oh god no!" and then the monster leaves, while Miko...well if he really wanted to stir things up, he'd have the MITD kill her, showing that the monsters not really a total wuss....if not, he could have Miko lying curled up in a ball, frightened beyond belief, which woud be nicely ironic after the whole "paladins have no fear" thing.

Zael Zuran
2006-11-10, 07:31 AM
Any chance this might be the the peaceful contact with an evil (well, predisposed to evil, albeit inept :smallbiggrin: ) outsider?

mikeejimbo
2006-11-10, 07:33 AM
HAHAHAHAHA

Two Monty Python references, a Pokemon reference, and moving the plot along? Gold!

J.Gellert
Remember the first appearances of the thing in the darkness.

Something about eating the entire group of adventurers, so it must be tough.
Something about eating kids?

It must be silly, but it's definetely tough enough to give Miko a beating.

That said, it probably is a little early for it to be revealed. The Order of the Stick is not even around. So what is going to happen? It is a mystery! :smalltongue:

Squall83
What a great comic! ^^ Thank you for all the bonus strips. :)

I was so surprised seeing that they actually forgot to take their monster with them. Will we be able to see his/her face when she smites him/her?

It was great that you finally integrated a cockroach in the main plot (it's a first if you dont count Xykons bet, isn't it?). :)

But I really did not like that Pokemon referrence.

Ruduen
2006-11-10, 07:39 AM
Just since a few people have been questioning it recently, remember: Forcecage gives you a CHOICE between a 10' x 10' x 10' solid cube, or a 20' x 20' x 20' barred cage. So, that cage is still existing, though that kind of thing normally can't be tipped over. Oh well, poetic license, ad hoc gaming, and plot will let that happen.

Nice job on the thing, and good entrance in the panel for the MITD. It's probably the best entrance he's had so far.

Heloisa
2006-11-10, 07:40 AM
So, will we finally see what the creature in the shadows looks like, now that Xykon's not there to supervise?

Oh I sure hope so!!!!
Great comic Giant! Way to go!

mikeejimbo
2006-11-10, 07:42 AM
Any chance this might be the the peaceful contact with an evil (well, predisposed to evil, albeit inept :smallbiggrin: ) outsider?

Do you mean the MiTD, or her "friendly" "contact" with the demon roach? :smallwink:

drewnchick
2006-11-10, 07:43 AM
Just since a few people have been questioning it recently, remember: Forcecage gives you a CHOICE between a 10' x 10' x 10' solid cube, or a 20' x 20' x 20' barred cage. So, that cage is still existing, though that kind of thing normally can't be tipped over. Oh well, poetic license, ad hoc gaming, and plot will let that happen.

My recollection on the forcecage as well.

Excellent comic, as always...but I did notice that Xykon closed and locked a door that Redcloak had previously destroyed...?

Zael Zuran
2006-11-10, 07:44 AM
Excellent comic, as always...but I did notice that Xykon closed and locked a door that Redcloak had previously destroyed...?

A wizard did it.

(Sorcerer, what have you...)

jogom
2006-11-10, 07:51 AM
Pokemon! Great reference :) I didn't know paladin's horses spells words like "pika"

Blood
2006-11-10, 07:58 AM
You know, I knew the roaches weren't just a running gag. They had to have a use somewhere! And the CitD too, but we all knew that. :smallbiggrin:

That had some scattered jokes; was pretty good, but not the best. Leaves some interesting plot points for the CitD and Miko...

Harliquinn
2006-11-10, 08:00 AM
And we now know that Xykon is an 18th level caster (If we didn't know that before, I can't remember).

Kaerou
2006-11-10, 08:06 AM
hahaha, thank you so much for cheering me up today Giant! Todays strip was hilarious!

I love the pokemon summoning, it made my day.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-10, 08:13 AM
Ah-ha, as I thought, anyone so obnoxious would have to be an anime character!

Dinod
2006-11-10, 08:13 AM
Roaches rule, hands down!
I was wondering when they will be used as plot elements, but the witty remarks kill me every time.

"cue the violins!"
"scram kid, ya bother me!"
And of course
-"I crown my self king of all roaches!"
-"sigh. His reign was short but eventful."
Best of all time!

The forcecage escape was great since we D&D minded people would not think about it, so it worked.
This comic gets a 9/10 by me.

Mr_Shrubber
2006-11-10, 08:21 AM
A Holy Grail reference and a Pokemon reference (I love how Miko's stupid horse Windstriker goes "pika!") and a show-me-on-the-doll-where-she-touched-you joke and :mitd:, all in the same comic = Best. Comic. Ever.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Dumbledore lives
2006-11-10, 08:30 AM
" Help Help I'm being opressed" Monty Python and the Holy Grail :smallbiggrin:
Awesome comic and it included the thing in the darkness:mitd:

ozmar
2006-11-10, 08:33 AM
Yay! Go Miko!

:miko:

Loved the poke-horse, too. Perfect commentary on the silliest change to paladins in the 3.5 revision...

Ozmar the Approving

The Doctor Who?
2006-11-10, 08:33 AM
I wonder...:xykon: wouldn't be so clever/mean/plot-aware as to 'let' :miko: escape just so she'll hunt down the OotS for him?

(drat. my post points are gone. Must have messed up my account...)

Solmage
2006-11-10, 08:34 AM
You know, Miko's actually quite pretty when she smiles, but that poor girl really needs to give the OotS a break. As for the creature in the dark... I dread to think what it could do *meep*

Agreed. If she were just a little less likely to jump to conclusions, she'd be a lot more likeable to many, possibly. At the very least, she'd be easier to get along with.

Anyway, regardless of her believing earnestly that oots is evil, if she kills one of them (except belkar) I'd take her paladinhood. It's one thing to attack them to arrest them because they resisted arrest, or when she truly had no other evidence at hand, but this time she has contradictory evidence: Her half-assed theory on a single assumption vs all the other magical evidence (detect evil spell, higher being trial, etc)

Yes, I still love Miko. I hope she doesn't go too far in her misguided efforts. But we'll see.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-10, 08:34 AM
I'd always thought that the cage formed a full cube, but... eh, the Giant can play it as he likes. Never thought about the fact that it's not described as unmovable before, though, so I'm glad it came up here.

Just one little problem with Forcecage creating a cube, so tipping it really becomes just rolling it...but these are the things where plot/comedy outweigh the rules.

Hmm. If Xykon were a Wizard and not a Sorcerer, I'd have him suspected of patronizing Magick Shoppe's discount bin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0088.html). :smallwink:

Blaznak
2006-11-10, 08:35 AM
Ok - The "Windstrider I choose you" and "Show me on the doll where she touched you" lines are classics. Seriously. (or is that Humorously...)

Very fun! I'm never worried Rich is going to take the obvious route. I'm much happier with her escaping than going blackguard. I think it will be funnier in the long run!

CelestialStick
2006-11-10, 08:37 AM
Yeah, you need to keep an eye out for the roaches in any comic featuring Xykon and friends... they're almost always there to provide a laugh, but are so easy to overlook. I missed the lightsaber duel a couple of strips ago, until someone mentioned it in the forum.

With the lightsaber duel, the Monty Python oppression line, and the Pokemon "I choose you line," OOTS has just been excellent lately!

The Doctor
2006-11-10, 08:43 AM
About Miko jumoing to conclusions... she IS right about the trial of the OotS being rigged (though not in the way she imagines). And the ootS did deceive her - she'll go insane if she finds out Belkar is out there running loose.

(The Doctor, having found his other account... meh.)

DarkLightDragon
2006-11-10, 08:50 AM
BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!

That's all I can say without saying what everyone has said!

Grey Knight
2006-11-10, 08:55 AM
If Miko is out to hunt down the OotS again, this raises an interesting point, involving Detect Evil and not-Elan. I'm sure you can all add two and two :smallwink:

Haarculaneaum
2006-11-10, 09:04 AM
Sorry guys and Giant,
I can buy a Thor-manipulated Control Weather. I cannot buy a Forcecage that doesn't have a bottom. Just NOT how the spell works. If it did, you could just go etherial and float down to escape, something the spell EXPLICITLY forbids.

Haar

Sereno
2006-11-10, 09:10 AM
Laugh, laugh, laugh, laugh at the hilarious OotS strip!!! :elan:

So many jokes ...

So truly excellent!

So is the MitD going to turn out to be hostile, or is just going to come off "weird" again (like with the lantern archons)?

Erloas
2006-11-10, 09:10 AM
That was amaztastic. Great, just great.

B9anders
2006-11-10, 09:13 AM
Did :xykon: roll a critical failure on his intelligence check there? ALWAYS kill the hero at the first chance you got. This is basic villain stuff.

The final panel should have been a great cliffhanger, but it's just obvious that we won't get to see :mitd: unleashed in all his monstrous terror. A predict a silly dialogue allowing Miko to escape. What should happen is of course that he steps into the light and eats her, but this seems very unlikely given the way this sideplot is developing.

'show me on the doll where she touched you' is just brilliant though.

Runolfr
2006-11-10, 09:15 AM
Dare we hope that the true face of the Monster in the Dark will be revealed?

Tune in next week!

Hyrael
2006-11-10, 09:19 AM
I belive that she's in deeply love, and really angry about the way Roy dismissed her. Hence the hatred towards Roy & Co. :smalleek:

But that's just me... :smallsmile:
That could very well be true. to find out for sure, we need to wait until she meets celia and finds out about her and roy. If miko goes ballistic or reacts in a similar way, that clinches it.

You know, its weird. after this strip, i suddenly like miko. I always appreciated her as an antagonist, but personaly disliked her. But now, after this little escape, I'm starting to genuinely like her.

Pokemon (shudder). since I'm playing a summoning mage at the moment, that will haunt my thoughts forever.

Grey Knight
2006-11-10, 09:22 AM
Dare we hope that the true face of the Monster in the Dark will be revealed?

Tune in next week!

A sickly kobold with gum disease. Mark my words! :mitd:

Esclados
2006-11-10, 09:23 AM
I love Miko Miyazaki.

That is all.

Sir_Ophiuchus
2006-11-10, 09:28 AM
I'm really starting to like Miko now. This scares me slightly, but overall I think it's a good thing.

That plan was, without a doubt, the best and craziest plan ever. Sod the spell description, if a player tried that in a game I was DMing I'd just run with it! Besides, if it had a bottom, Windstriker could just keep rolling the cage along the ground... But that might be somewhat uncomfortable for the caged paladin.

"To Azure City!"

*thunk!*

*thunk!*

*thunk!*

"FASTER!!"

Erloas
2006-11-10, 09:40 AM
I missed it the first time when the roach said mommmyyyy while being thrown away.

I also think the MITD is just being friendly. The reason it emphasised your name was because as it is, MITD doesn't have a name. I think MITD just wants a friend, and if it stays in the dark and Miko doesn't automatically cast detect evil I could see them possibly getting along. At least for the couple panels Miko needs to get out of the tower and head back to Azure City.

Frozen_Northman
2006-11-10, 09:40 AM

I would suggest that "delusional" is the word that you're looking for. She firmly believes in something that just isn't so. And she's taking an increasingly distorted view of the situation to feed her hatred for the Order of the Stick.

Miko is a perfect example of an antagonist that I love to hate. She's a good foil for the Order, even though Miko drives me nuts with her self-righteousness. Her ever-growing character flaw is the first of the Seven Cardinal Sins - Pride.

I want to see Miko eventually get what's coming to her. And by that, I do not mean falling from paladin-hood, becoming a blackguard, or being turned into an undead. I want to see her forced to face the uncomfortable fact that she has judged things incorrectly, and that she has let her personal feelings get in the way of rational thinking.

For those who savor a nice plate of revenge served cold, that's what it's ultimately all about. Having the nemesis realize that he or she was completely and utterly wrong, and has been shown up by the person taking revenge.

Aiani
2006-11-10, 09:46 AM
Loved the Monty Python reference and I'm not sure if I laughed more at the :roach: or at Windstriker the pokemon.

TinSoldier
2006-11-10, 09:50 AM
but this time she has contradictory evidence: Her half-assed theory on a single assumption vs all the other magical evidence (detect evil spell, higher being trial, etc)Except the "higher being" was Roy's Dad and explicitly misled everyone...

Anyway, this was an awesome comic! Every couple of panels I found the lines making me laugh. The Pokemon joke was clever and unexpected. The "Show me on the doll where she touched you" line was sooo wrong and still very funny. And the MitD at the end... I'm still not sure whether he is being ominous or friendly. I'm thinking a little of both.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this excellent line:
:miko: "It is at times like this that I wish I were one of those adventurers who have purchased the entire list of available mundane equipment, 'just in case'. Encumbrance issues aside, I'm sure there's some was a 10-foot pole could get me out of this."

Hahaha!

foolsama
2006-11-10, 09:51 AM
:elan: DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN!!!!

Esclados
2006-11-10, 09:53 AM
I would suggest that "delusional" is the word that you're looking for. She firmly believes in something that just isn't so. And she's taking an increasingly distorted view of the situation to feed her hatred for the Order of the Stick.

Miko is a perfect example of an antagonist that I love to hate. She's a good foil for the Order, even though Miko drives me nuts with her self-righteousness. Her ever-growing character flaw is the first of the Seven Cardinal Sins - Pride.

I want to see Miko eventually get what's coming to her. And by that, I do not mean falling from paladin-hood, becoming a blackguard, or being turned into an undead. I want to see her forced to face the uncomfortable fact that she has judged things incorrectly, and that she has let her personal feelings get in the way of rational thinking.

For those who savor a nice plate of revenge served cold, that's what it's ultimately all about. Having the nemesis realize that he or she was completely and utterly wrong, and has been shown up by the person taking revenge.

I disagree. Miko isn't just refusing to see things as they are; the present situation is not a result of her poor judgment. She is being actively deceived by the supposedly good Order of the Stick (who, lest we not forget, attacked her in the back as she was righteously executing a murderous criminal!), as well as her liege, in whom she placed her trust. Sure, she wants to bring righteous vengeance down on the OotS, and she's damn sure not shy about it, but to all appearances, it seems they deserve it.

I've always found Miko to be a sympathetic character, even moreso with these last few comics.

Haarculaneaum
2006-11-10, 09:54 AM
Sir Ophus said:

"Besides, if it had a bottom, Windstriker could just keep rolling the cage along the ground... But that might be somewhat uncomfortable for the caged paladin."

That would be 1) funnier and 2) in-keeping with internal consistency

Haar

sklar dansig
2006-11-10, 09:57 AM
great strip with great plan and the CitD nails it as well
and i like the character development of Miko, maybe one day well even see the end of the frown of her
go Miko, GO!

Bilbo27
2006-11-10, 10:04 AM
Love it, the darkness meets the Paladin!! Whats next--Whatss next??
Oh the OOts crew is in troble now if MIKO finds them this time.

Jopinion
2006-11-10, 10:04 AM
I am so highly highly amused. I love bonus strips, something to look forward to. :smallbiggrin: :roach: are my favorite characters, which seems wrong. I'm always happy to see them in the strip though. They seem to say the things that would be wrong said by anyone else.

Truthseeker
2006-11-10, 10:05 AM
I have to suggest an alternate strip title: "MikGuyver." ;)

Godehart
2006-11-10, 10:32 AM
OOTS and Monty Python... What more can a man wish?

Blacksword
2006-11-10, 10:34 AM
I was so surprised seeing that they actually forgot to take their monster with them.

Assuming that they did forget.

Will we be able to see his/her face when she smites him/her?

Great, now I can just imagine Miko yelling "I smite the darkness!" :smalltongue:

Deuce
2006-11-10, 10:36 AM
The CitD sounds friendly to me, no mention of Nutmeg or a Loofa.

TETanglebrooke
2006-11-10, 10:36 AM
good montey python reference and he was so close to making a wonderful 10th kingdom reference. *sigh* it would have made sense and been funny even if you didnt get the reference.

he should have replaced "oww dont squeeze me there" with "dont touch me there. only my girlfriend touches me there"

Exalted_Hater
2006-11-10, 10:39 AM
hehehe... oh, the inunendo... and may the MitD give her what she so richley ne- *cough*, deserves. keep up the good work Giant!

Logos7
2006-11-10, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure i want to think what a Detect Evil would do to Miko

Put Stunning/Knocking out isn't impossible,It would be amusing that Miko didn't make it becuase she detects evil.

I'm willing to bet that we dont see miko again (Hopefully)

Logos

Flak_Razorwill
2006-11-10, 10:41 AM
GARRGHT!

POKEMON! MACGYVER! BATMAN! MONTY PYTHON! Another Liver Joke!

*Head explody*

That aside, I'm surprised an exploding bottle of nigh-pure alcohol exploding 4 feet away didn't burn or deafen her.

Solara
2006-11-10, 10:44 AM
After all the ugliness in the last thread (And possibly this one too, haven't read it yet) I promised myself I was going to stay away from the forums for awhile, but today's had me laughing so hard --in a library, no less-- that I couldn't help myself! :biggrin:

The Pokemon spoof was pure gold, but I think the demon roaches really stole the show in this one.

Glad Miko's escaped, and I can not wait for the confrontation in Azure City. Xykon and co., the OotS, Miko, the Sapphire Guard, Nale and Sabine...all trying their damnedest kill each other. This'll be great!

I don't like that look on Miko's face in the last panel...sure hope the MitD isn't about to get smited. Because by this point it's seriously in doubt whether he's evil to begin with...but then again what if he is evil and she has a firendly encounter with him? May not actually lead to anything, but it would be nice to know what he actually is. Wonder if the blue glowy effect of 'smite evil' would be enough to finally light him up?

lord_khaine
2006-11-10, 10:44 AM
1 word, Evasion :smallsmile:

jcfiala
2006-11-10, 10:45 AM
Hmm.... this article had some great writing in it, and some fantastic lines, but it's a little annoying how Rich is once again ignoring the rules to write his story. Part of the joke of the strip is how the characters are *in* a D&D world, after all, and it weakens it when he ignores the rules. Forcecage says, "immobile, invisible cubical prison composed of either bars of force or solid walls of force".

That said, it was really a well written strip.

"It's the little day to day surprises that makes unlife worth unliving."

John
(And do memberships go away if you don't use them for a while? I swear I used to have a membership here before, but I just had to create one to post.)

Starwoad
2006-11-10, 10:45 AM
So, in order to free herself from her cage, she had to cast off the white trim on her sapphire mantle.

Symbolism?

Spiky
2006-11-10, 11:01 AM
Hmm. Am I the only one who heard, "How you doin'?" when MitD says "What's your name"?

Pokemon. Very sad. But we'll survive and hope for more of the good stuff in the future.

JeffreyToTheMax
2006-11-10, 11:05 AM
I haven't posted here in an incredibly long time, but I have to say that this OOTS is easily one of the best. So many references...

Lord Zentei
2006-11-10, 11:11 AM
Put Stunning/Knocking out isn't impossible,It would be amusing that Miko didn't make it becuase she detects evil.

I'm willing to bet that we dont see miko again (Hopefully)

I somehow find it unlikely that the Giant would focus on her for a week, obviously setting up an arc and then not build on it any more.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-11-10, 11:11 AM
So, in order to free herself from her cage, she had to cast off the white trim on her sapphire mantle.

Symbolism?

...ah. Good catch.

Whatever the future holds for our fair paladin, it's not good.

theKOT
2006-11-10, 11:14 AM
Wow, very nice comic! I loved the pokemon reference.

Very nice. While the whole thing wasn't exactly hilarious, there where enough jokes to keep it rolling. Meanwhile, it was a nice little "MacGyver" moment there, and the end was a very funny yet ominous cliffhanger. Bravo-7/10

Martok
2006-11-10, 11:17 AM
I know I'm only repeating everyone else at this point, but I did love the demon roaches in this strip. Between the Python reference and the "Show me on the doll where she touched you" line, it completely broke my ability to hold back from laughing (I'm currently at work). The Pokemon reference was a groaner, however. ;)

It was also cool to see Miko use unconventional methods to break out of her cage, although at the same time it's rather frightening to see a paladin who's so single-minded display that kind of intelligence. Truly a scary combination!

Another great strip, Giant!

Fillbert
2006-11-10, 11:20 AM
I love it!!!! Great references to Poke'mon, and The Holy Grail. I knew she wouldn't be held too long. Now she is free to get her butt whooped by Roy and the rest of the Stick (if Roy can't get it done by himself). GO STICK!!!!!

fithi
2006-11-10, 11:21 AM
Monty Python references, the :roach:, Pokemon, :mitd: ... terrific! Good thing I'm the only one in the house right now, or else my housemates would be wondering why I'm on the floor laughing so much.

I have much love of the Python references... I am muchly :smallamused:.

Kadasbrass
2006-11-10, 11:23 AM
Ohh goody, please cast daylight! Though I'm starting to think :mitd: just a pair of eyeballs or two Will-o-wisp...

We can now call them mikotovs!

it17
2006-11-10, 11:24 AM
Miko Is going to kill the thing in the shadows. I bet it will die in the shadows and we will never know what it was.
I like Xykon's reason for leaving her behind in a cage as it would be very interesting to see what kind of undead she becomes. This might be a little dangerous though.
When The order and Miko meet in Azure city, assuming that they do meet Miko should walk up and attack "Elan" forcing him to defend himself which will create and solve problems at the same time.

it17
2006-11-10, 11:33 AM
One more thing. Didn't redcloak blow open the door. This would have made it difficult to lock it again as implied by the click sound.

the_tick_rules
2006-11-10, 11:38 AM
combining macgyverism, monty python, pokemon, and sexual harrassment on a single strip, brilliant!

A possible showdown between miko at the creature in darkness. somehow I don't feel now is the right time, but it's cool to think of anyways.

Metool2
2006-11-10, 11:43 AM
Thank you so much for this comic. I'v been having a rough day and was begining to despair till I read this comic. ^_^ Now I have the strength to go on!

:mitd: FTW!

Alchemistmerlin
2006-11-10, 11:46 AM
Meh, not one of your best Rich.

Though I'm content. Once you kill off Miko, nothing you ever do will be considered a "Wrong" in my eyes.

thecommodore6
2006-11-10, 11:47 AM
OMG
The Monty Python reference was AMAZING.
I enjoyed this mainly for plot-advancement, but little jokes like that and the Pokemon reference are what truely make this comic worth reading.
props Giant.

TinSoldier
2006-11-10, 11:47 AM
One more thing. Didn't redcloak blow open the door. This would have made it difficult to lock it again as implied by the click sound.Someone else brought this up as well...

My guess is that Miko and Redcloak's fight took them away from the door that Redcloak shattered to a different part of the tower. Yeah, that's it! That's the ticket!

Eldhrin
2006-11-10, 11:51 AM
Except the "higher being" was Roy's Dad and explicitly misled everyone...

Yes, but she doesn't know that. We know that Miko is wrong, but nothing we've seen of her experiences suggest that she has any knowledge of the things we know that make her wrong.

Therefore, according to her own reasoning, she's correct and justified in her hatred.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-10, 11:51 AM
Someone else brought this up as well...

My guess is that Miko and Redcloak's fight took them away from the door that Redcloak shattered to a different part of the tower. Yeah, that's it! That's the ticket!

Spare door!

Or a portculis. Or something.

Miklus
2006-11-10, 11:53 AM
I like everything anyone else already said, and I also like how the horses in this comic has so very large feet...

I belive that she's in deeply love, and really angry about the way Roy dismissed her. Hence the hatred towards Roy & Co.

Yes. I think that speech Roy gave her in #250 hurt more than she will admit. She practically said "I would like a romantic relationship with you, Roy". And then Roy shoots her down in flames. I bet she does not have a lot of suitors, if any, so that really hurt. Just look at her face in #250 and #251. She is more hurt than she will admit, even to herself. Hell knows no fury like a woman scorned, as Roy is about to find out. Then he will know TWO things about women! :)

Grey Knight
2006-11-10, 11:54 AM
One more thing. Didn't redcloak blow open the door. This would have made it difficult to lock it again as implied by the click sound.
A spell of Ye Olde Whizzard Locke? I don't think it repairs damaged doors in the basic rules, but I've seen house rules to that effect before.

Also, more evidence in favour of :mitd: being friendly; he has his normal eyes, not the evil ones we've seen previously (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0023.html).

Corp
2006-11-10, 12:03 PM
Yeah I'm thinking the MitD is just being nice. Left out of the loop again, lonely, likely wondering if Miko will be his friend.

drewnchick
2006-11-10, 12:14 PM
A spell of Ye Olde Whizzard Locke? I don't think it repairs damaged doors in the basic rules, but I've seen house rules to that effect before.

I originally asked this question.
There's bound to be a dozen ways to explain this: 1) used a different exit, 2) an internal door vs. the main entrance, 3) someone fixed it with a make whole spell, 4) it wasn't a door at all, but Redcloak's footlocker...

Nope, wizard lock (now arcane lock) doesn't fix anything...according to the rules. :wink:

Holy_Knight
2006-11-10, 12:17 PM
Got several good laughs out of this one! Prayers of vengeance aside, who knew that a strip with Miko could seem so lighthearted?

Grey Knight
2006-11-10, 12:24 PM
Meh, not one of your best Rich.

It's a well-known fact that bugbears have little or no sense of humour.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-10, 12:24 PM
Got several good laughs out of this one! Prayers of vengeance aside, who knew that a strip with Miko could seem so lighthearted?

It's the fact that the heroes are not on the receiving end of her barbs that makes it so, I'd imagine. With her no longer the antagonizing the main characters, readers that might otherwise not sympathise can now do so.

Varian7
2006-11-10, 12:41 PM
Love the Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference with the demon roach! Miko vs the MITD! Go Miko!

WarriorTribble
2006-11-10, 01:00 PM
Poor redcloak, he underestimated both Miko, and Xykon...

jlawson382
2006-11-10, 01:03 PM
Now THERE's a comic worth registering for.

Long time reader, but "show me on the doll where she touched you" is the first time I recall actually cackling out loud.

Secondly: :mitd: "Hi. What's your name?"

...did anyone else hear a James Earl Jones voiceover for the MiTD on that line?

SalSar_Thiran
2006-11-10, 01:05 PM
It's a little late and not on this comic, but I just thought of it. Is Red Cloak 'growing up' for lack of a better term? He seems to have been becoming more and more confident ever since the escape from the dungeon of Durokon

tape_measure
2006-11-10, 01:13 PM
Long time reader, but "show me on the doll where she touched you"

Personally, being in the socialwork field, I almost wet myself.

Adeptus
2006-11-10, 01:16 PM
Excellent comic Rich!

Lots of monologue, but who cares when it's quirky and fun like this one. And more to come :D

The Hammer of Thor
2006-11-10, 01:17 PM
:mitd: Nice one, despite the pokemon reference.
Will this lead to a fight between Miko and Creature in the shadows, or is the Creature being friendly to Miko? Maybe The creature is an old Paladin! Yes i know it's not very likely.

Electricall
2006-11-10, 01:29 PM
Please, please, let the MitD waste Miko. I would be eternally in praise if only that would happen.

I've been waiting for Miko getting her fair dues for a long time now.

BurntOfferings
2006-11-10, 01:36 PM

See the spell description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forcecage.htm). You get a cube either way. One has solid walls, the other has bars. If the barred version didn't have a floor, it wouldn't block ethereal travel as the spell claims.

Clearly Xykon researched a nerfed version of the standard forcecage that doesn't cost 1,500 gp to cast. :smallwink:

ElfMaster2000
2006-11-10, 01:48 PM
Woah... I almost totally missed the last two comics! The first panel looks almost the same, so I thought the comic hadn't updated yet. Good thing I decided to re-read it :)

Felinoid
2006-11-10, 01:52 PM
Wow. Not one person yet has mentioned that it was double-length. And well worth the wait, I dare say. Many good jokes by the evil ones, and even a few by the Mik-ster. Add to that a nice cliffhanger confrontation, and you've got a winning combination.

Wasn't really surprised the cage didn't have a floor, given the way it curved at the top, but did not at the bottom. Though I was a little surprised about it being able to be tipped over. When she blew the hole in the floor I figured she'd just escape through the hole into the watchtower's basement or something.

The only thing I didn't like was the length of Miko's prayer, but that's probably just a combination of the intended "ARGH! SHE'S GOT IT ALL WRONG!" and the fact that I'm not too fond of organized something-we-can't-talk-about.

EDIT:
Also, anyone else get the feeling that Miko attended the Comic Book Heroes' School of Explaining Every Tiny Thing You Do? :smallwink:

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-11-10, 01:52 PM
So ludicrously awesome. Her way of getting out of that cage is like something you'd find in an old text adventure game:

"put brandy on floor"
"get demon cockroach"
"use demon cockroach"
"use pokeball"
"tell windstriker push forcecage"

Nice to see Samurai Jill's cleverness...also, everything else in this comic. So awesome.

jcfiala
2006-11-10, 02:04 PM
EDIT:
Also, anyone else get the feeling that Miko attended the Comic Book Heroes' School of Explaining Every Tiny Thing You Do? :smallwink:

I suspect she got used to talking to herself because she only really enjoys conversations with people as moral and rightous as she is. :)

TreesOfDeath
2006-11-10, 02:13 PM
Wow. Double length w00t!
Pretty funny strip with some good allusions.
You have broken the rolls of Forcecage, it does NOT work like that, though im hoping their's some expalnation for it, and it does seem that Xylon wanted Miko to escape.
Oh and the ending is genuinely ominous... even though we may not see its face, we may be about to see the thing in the dark in action!

faerwain
2006-11-10, 02:36 PM
:smalleek: :smalleek: Holy Guinness! Giant did not just use :roach: as a plotpoint ?!

What next, the old rocking-chair-guy from strip 122 as Xykon's downfall?
But not complaining, I love the unpredictability of Rich's plans. And this example keeps my hanging on to my belief that Nale will be disguised by the sausage formerly known as Belkars riding dog.

Great strip 'cause I didn't see that coming.

We can now call them mikotovs!

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: Nice....and as it seem to evolve around revenge..shall we call the subplot "Mikbeth"? Yeah, okay, I know it hurts..Gonna leave now.

Miklus
2006-11-10, 02:39 PM
Challenge: Figure out how Miko can escape from the forcecage using only a 10 foot pole!

The only way I can think off...

Wait for Xykon and Redcloak to come back, knock them out with the pole and wait for the forcecage to expire...

TinSoldier
2006-11-10, 02:41 PM
But if you listen to some people here, she already has a 10 ft. pole!

fangthane
2006-11-10, 02:46 PM
Great one-liners; the roaches' "show me on the doll" has to be a contender for my new favourite... However, I have to concur with Haarculaneum's assessment of the cheese factor. I'd have been far more impressed with a much simpler deus ex factor, and one which would have gone much better with the situation rather than arbitrarily altering a stock spell. It's an amusing surprise when something unclear in a spell's description is exploited by the Giant in order to provide some comedy; it's another thing entirely when a spell which allows for no obfuscation at all is modified to provide an undisclosed "out." A much simpler expedient would have been to have one of the roaches' light-sabers turn out to be a rod of cancellation and requires leaving a trail of booze toward a pool at the corner of a cage, to draw the roaches closer. Something like that would have accomplished the escape without crippling or altering the spell, still result in peaceful contact with the roaches (if that's to become important), and would not have perturbed Haar or other rules-lawyers (myself included) nearly as much.

I like Durkon's apparent pre-errata Righteous Might, I like the hydra killing, I like Control Weather a la Thor, but it strikes me that this particular "way out" was a lot less clever than those were. It's not like I'm going to stop reading the comic just because Rich failed - once - to come up with a clever spin on the situation, but having been led to expect better, I can't deny I'm a little disappointed. That said, as far as I'm concerned I almost have to give this one a 4/10 just to balance the KOT's overly generous assessment ;)

Dawnstrider, allow me to take the part of the computer in your adventure game...
"I'm sorry but that sentence appears to be missing a verb."
"I don't see a Demon here."
"You don't have a Demon."
"You use your pokeball. Who do you choose?"
"I don't know what kind of Pokemon a 'tell' is."

People getting out of situations in a real old-school adventure game needed to not only work out how, but also needed to work out which verbs would convince the stupid (&^#&% computer to let you do it. I'm reminded of a very early game wherein it took half an hour just to work out how to enter the door (you begin standing outside, have to open the mailbox to get the key, unlock and open the door, and rather than a direction or even "go door" the stupid thing wanted me to say "go in" - I'd tried about a hundred different permutations, including "go house," "go through the bleeding door," etc)

Anyhow, good strip but I'm very disappointed in Rich's choice of escape mechanisms. Oh, another method just occurred to me. Summon Windstrider, put a bracelet on its hoof and have it remove a charm to summon Miko outside the cage. Quick, easy, self-contained. :)

Of course, watching Miko roll a cage around like some kind of oversized hamster would have been 4tw too ;)

krossbow
2006-11-10, 03:09 PM
I'm sure there's some way a 10 foot pole could get me out of this

Why didn't she pull the one out of her ass then? :smallamused:

Deuce
2006-11-10, 03:09 PM
Challenge: Figure out how Miko can escape from the forcecage using only a 10 foot pole!

The only way I can think off...

Wait for Xykon and Redcloak to come back, knock them out with the pole and wait for the forcecage to expire...

Use pole to ring "Gong of War Wizard Summoning" that sits just inside the gate.

Use it to reach the Rod of Cancellation that Lord Shojo had hung in the foyer after reading the Forcecage spell description in the 3.5 rules.

Replace previous stick in her -erm- her previous "class feature", go up a level, gain spell "Holy Sword" and try it against the bars.

Sanctu
2006-11-10, 03:19 PM
Go Miko! Woot!

edit: always enjoyed the comic, and the latest have been no exception.

Electricall
2006-11-10, 03:28 PM
I can see why Miko doesn't get any spells, I mean, her wis score has to be like 4. She's gotten her ass handed to her verbally time and again, and still she doesn't get it.

Mirage_of_Deceit
2006-11-10, 03:31 PM
If she even trys to hurt the MitD then the Miko fanclub shall be no more and all will wish for the death of Miko!

Eldhrin
2006-11-10, 03:34 PM
I just looked it up in the SRD, and it doesn't say anything about the bars being vulnerable to any form of force. I guess that might be up to the GM.

And again I'm confronted by the bizarre nature of some of D&D. Forcecage requires ruby dust worth 1,500GP to cast, which disappears in the process. Is there some sort of conspiracy to keep all spellcasters permanently broke? What about things which use up your XP to craft? You're putting your memories into them?

Meh, this isn't the thread for that.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-10, 03:42 PM
If she even trys to hurt the MitD then the Miko fanclub shall be no more and all will wish for the death of Miko!

Speak for yourself. :smalltongue: I must say that I'd be torn on the matter, though if the MitD is as powerful as Xykon seems to think, she'll not be getting out of there by force. Probably not, anyway.

And again I'm confronted by the bizarre nature of some of D&D. Forcecage requires ruby dust worth 1,500GP to cast, which disappears in the process. Is there some sort of conspiracy to keep all spellcasters permanently broke?

That's a minor drawback for that particular spell, since it is so powerful - though in general, I tend to agree.

What about things which use up your XP to craft? You're putting your memories into them?

Just ask Sauron. :smallwink:

EDIT: yes, I know that's another ballgame since the One Ring contained his life force; It's a funny damn it all. ;)

Actis
2006-11-10, 03:57 PM
Come on, don't tell me I'm the only one who thought of this when reading Xykon's speech:

Dr. Evil: Scott, I want you to meet daddy's nemesis, Austin Powers
Scott Evil: What? Are you feeding him? Why don't you just kill him?
Dr. Evil: I have an even better idea. I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death.
Scott Evil: Why don’t you just shoot him now? Here, I’ll get a gun. We’ll just shoot him. Bang! Dead. Done.
Dr. Evil: One more peep out of you and you’re grounded. Let’s begin.

Dr. Evil: All right guard, begin the unnecessarily slow-moving dipping mechanism.
[guard starts dipping mechanism]
Dr. Evil: Close the tank!
Scott Evil: Wait, aren't you even going to watch them? They could get away!
Dr. Evil: No no no, I'm going to leave them alone and not actually witness them dying, I'm just gonna assume it all went to plan. What?
Scott Evil: I have a gun, in my room, you give me five seconds, I'll get it, I'll come back down here, BOOM, I'll blow their brains out!
Dr. Evil: Scott, you just don't get it, do ya? You don't.

Ok, the resemblance isn't that strong, but still... :smalltongue:

I liked the comic, although I have my doubts on whether the rules would allow that scape... I would allow it just for the creative idea. More than anything I'm looking forward to the MiTD-Miko chat, fight, or whatever. Until then...

stickygoo
2006-11-10, 03:58 PM
I could totally here the MacGyver theme in my head as she was plotting her escape.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-11-10, 04:12 PM
Considering the last line, along with some free time:

:miko: What do you want, foul beast? *Blades*
:mitd: You mentioned light of the gods or something, right? Can you help me out?
:miko: Why should I do anything for you?
:mitd: I'll give you anything! I just need to be seen!
:miko: ...Wha? *Lowers sword*
:mitd: You seem pretty cranky, too. Want to talk about it?
:miko: *Resumes combat stance* What is there to discuss!? I need to warn the city, and NOTHING will stand in my way!
:mitd: You're a paladin. Your job is to help people! I just eat mallowmars and cry! :frown:
:miko: I am, and I do. But you come with the most accursed enemy, and are guilty by association.
:mitd: Maybe I'm not even evil! Do that detect thing on me!
:miko: ...what?... *wanders off with Windstriker*
:mitd: *Follows*-I could tell you Xykon's complete plan!
:miko: *Stops* Hmmph. Tell me, then.
:mitd: ...uh, it involves Azure City...and some portal...
:miko: Riiight.
:mitd: I was ASKING to get scanned. What evil creature would ask that of a PALADIN!
:miko: Point taken. Nonetheless, I must go. *Continues through tower*
:mitd: You seem stressed. Want to talk about it?
:miko: I'm busy.
:mitd: Let's just have an honest discussion. Like, five minutes. What's the harm? Your horse will get there before Xykon does.
:miko: ...I...*hesitates*
:mitd: You know, you're pretty when you smile.
:miko: What does...?
:mitd: Seriously. I love your hair...do you condition?
:miko: ...
:mitd: It's beautiful. It frames your features well.
:miko: *Look of incredulity*
:mitd: Has anyone ever told you that before?
:mitd: You look absolutely stunning in the torchlight. *Moves closer*
:miko: ...what?
:mitd: It's the truth. *Hovers right up next to her* Now, I've been honest so far. Why don't you tell me a bit about yourself? You seem so lonely. I've got some Snickers bars, maybe you could stay for a...
:miko: *Rolls eyes, Jumps onto Windstriker, bolts out of tower*
:mitd: GOT-DANGIT! DANGIT! DANGIT!! DANGIT!!!

Thanks for reading. :wink:

TinSoldier
2006-11-10, 04:13 PM
Hahahaha! That was great, Flak!

Sothicus
2006-11-10, 04:15 PM
Yes! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Poka-mounts!!!!!! That's what we've been calling them ever since 3.5 came out!!!!

Yorkiebar
2006-11-10, 04:30 PM
Brilliant comic Mr. Burlew, and dare I even think that we might finally see the Creature?

Itdano
2006-11-10, 05:12 PM
OMG the Poke-ball. It burns!

Mauril Everleaf
2006-11-10, 05:19 PM
thats exactly what i thought! friendly contact? whats more friendly than a conversation? and if that doesnt count playing with the demon roaches sure does.

Kish
2006-11-10, 05:26 PM
thats exactly what i thought! friendly contact? whats more friendly than a conversation? and if that doesnt count playing with the demon roaches sure does.
I think the squeezed roach might disagree.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-10, 05:29 PM

I doubt that the roaches consider the contact "friendly", going by their lines... :smallwink:

Mauril Everleaf
2006-11-10, 05:37 PM
oh fine, but i think the class text just requires "benign" contact with an outsider. id say that was relatively benign.

Aevii
2006-11-10, 05:37 PM
I missed it the first time when the roach said mommmyyyy while being thrown away.

I also think the MITD is just being friendly. The reason it emphasised your name was because as it is, MITD doesn't have a name. I think MITD just wants a friend, and if it stays in the dark and Miko doesn't automatically cast detect evil I could see them possibly getting along. At least for the couple panels Miko needs to get out of the tower and head back to Azure City.
I'm sure Miko and MITD will get along just fine. All Miko needs is some excuse to spark her brain into antagonization, but barring that, she seems to treat everyone normally, including evil folk, until they show signs of being aggressive. The excuse against the OOTS, of course, was the request from Shojo himself. Over the course of her pursuit, there was that little run-in with Samantha and her father. Until they got aggressive, Miko seems content not to be.

Allandaros
2006-11-10, 05:39 PM
*twitch* *twitch*

Trying...to...keep from laughing...

...must not let evil of pokemon win...

Lord Zentei
2006-11-10, 05:42 PM
oh fine, but i think the class text just requires "benign" contact with an outsider. id say that was relatively benign.

-- "It... it was horrible."
-- "Show me on the doll where she touched you."

That's benign? :smalleek:

I think you'll have better luck with the "benign contact" scenario with the MitD... :smallwink: If the MitD is indeed Evil, that is.

Neopolis
2006-11-10, 05:50 PM
Ohh, let the dark thingie fight with Miko. That'd be awesome.

baerdith
2006-11-10, 05:52 PM
So much funny today!

Esp. the Demon Roach lighter, "I'm being oppressed! Don't touch me there!"

And CitD: "Hi, what's your name?"

PRICELESS!!

Hyrael
2006-11-10, 06:08 PM
hahaha, thank you so much for cheering me up today Giant! Todays strip was hilarious!

I love the pokemon summoning, it made my day.

It may have made your day, but I'm currently playing a sorceror that speicializes in summoning. aside from ruining the coolness of summoning In my own mind, I can just Imagine the crap I'm going to get next week at the D&D session. I wont be able to whip up a friggin feindish dire rat without someone saying "Go, Raticate, I choose you! use your hyper-fang attack!" much less my standard Hell Hound or Celestial Bison.

Hototo
2006-11-10, 06:51 PM
Yay! Will we finally get to see the Monster?

Astro_Fez
2006-11-10, 07:12 PM
When Miko blew up the brandy, I thought she was going to dig under the cage.

I think her cape looks better with the bottom ripped.

Also: MitS - a grue?

fractal
2006-11-10, 07:17 PM
The thing is, most horror movie villains have the good sense not to go after ~15th level Paladins.

AyuVince
2006-11-10, 08:05 PM
I didn't excpect a confrontation between Miko and the MitD.

NOBODY expects the Monster in the Darkness! Its weapon is surprise! Surprise and fear!

Right, enough Python references today. Let's not go to Camelot. It's a silly place.

Kudos to the Giant for such a hilarious strip, with the roaches being as funny as ever and Miko showing once again that she is actually pretty ingenious and capable of handling difficult situations on her own. Now if she were just a bit nicer...

Zael Zuran
2006-11-10, 08:24 PM
I think the squeezed roach might disagree.

I meant the Monster in the Dark. (If its an outsider.)

The roach was most certainly (wo)man handled and was likely nothing more than a throw away gag. I was surprised someone actually interacted with the roaches at all. I had begun treating them like the little "Marginals" cartoons in old MAD magazines.

If the Monster is not actively Eeeevil (tm), it clearly has a strong tolerance for hanging out with evil. Not once has it expressed any displeasure at the carnage unleashed by Xykon and friends. Not that I can recall, at any rate. :smallbiggrin:

It just seems to have no real sense of purpose or identity, seeing as how Xykon literally keeps it in the dark about everything.

Take that with a grain of salt, mind you.

The Monster is also notoriously dense, and like most denizens of Stickland, seems to actually have a Spot skill in the negatives. ("What gate?")

Miklus
2006-11-10, 08:51 PM
...another method just occurred to me. Summon Windstrider, put a bracelet on its hoof and have it remove a charm to summon Miko outside the cage. Quick, easy, self-contained. :)

I am not sure I understand this metod for escaping the forcecage. What bracelet is this? And why would removing it from the hoof summon Miko? Is it in the rules that the special paladin-type mount can somehow summon its master? If so, this plan is brilliant.

Grey Knight
2006-11-10, 09:06 PM
I am not sure I understand this metod for escaping the forcecage. What bracelet is this? And why would removing it from the hoof summon Miko? Is it in the rules that the special paladin-type mount can somehow summon its master? If so, this plan is brilliant.

Probably referring specifically to a bracelet of friends (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#braceletofFriends).

Lord Zentei
2006-11-10, 09:14 PM
Probably referring specifically to a bracelet of friends (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#braceletofFriends).

That looks like a description that might fit Celia's "booty talisman".

J_Muller
2006-11-10, 09:37 PM
Er... That's not how a Molotov Cocktail works. Unless that brandy has high explosives in it, it won't go up all at once. It'll just burn for a while. A Molotov Cocktail isn't an instant bomb, you light the rag, throw it, it breaks open on the target and covers them in flaming liquid. Also, how does she avoid being hit with glass shards when it explodes?

Grey Knight
2006-11-10, 09:37 PM
That looks like a description that might fit Celia's "booty talisman".

I see the similarity, but there are (mostly mechanical) differences. Prob'ly a custom-made wondrous item inspired by it.

Karkadinn
2006-11-10, 09:40 PM

Uh, why?
Not that the MitD isn't cute and all, but he/she/it is basically a one-note joke without any potential depth of character so far.

Grey Knight
2006-11-10, 09:41 PM
Er... That's not how a Molotov Cocktail works. Unless that brandy has high explosives in it, it won't go up all at once. It'll just burn for a while. A Molotov Cocktail isn't an instant bomb, you light the rag, throw it, it breaks open on the target and covers them in flaming liquid.
It's dwarvish brandy, and that makes all the difference. :smallwink: Imagine the bizarre boozes concocted by a race with a +2 bonus against poison and a penchant for heavy drinking, if you will! You could probably fuel a medium-sized rocket with that stuff.

Also, how does she avoid being hit with glass shards when it explodes?
:haley: Evasion! *wink*

Lord Zentei
2006-11-10, 09:43 PM
Er... That's not how a Molotov Cocktail works. Unless that brandy has high explosives in it, it won't go up all at once. It'll just burn for a while. A Molotov Cocktail isn't an instant bomb, you light the rag, throw it, it breaks open on the target and covers them in flaming liquid. Also, how does she avoid being hit with glass shards when it explodes?

It's DWARF booze.

And she saved.

:smallwink:

Yes, technically you are correct; but what with previous fast and loose interpretations and actions in the strip, I can't fault the Giant for it.

EDIT: SHOOT! Got Ninja'd.

And more:

I see the similarity, but there are (mostly mechanical) differences. Prob'ly a custom-made wondrous item inspired by it.

Yeah, I was too lazy to dig up the actual comic and scrutinize the mechanics described there. It was just the first thing I thought of when I saw the description for the bracelet.

Matuse
2006-11-10, 09:44 PM
Forcecage requires ruby dust worth 1,500GP to cast, which disappears in the process. Is there some sort of conspiracy to keep all spellcasters permanently broke? What about things which use up your XP to craft?

Of course it needs that kind of component. It summons an indefensible deathtrap. No save, no spell resistance, and the box version locks away its victim for at least 24 hours in a not-very-large-container that is impermeable to AIR.

Sure the victim -might- have one of the needed spells/items to break the box, but not likely. Any creature that needs to breath is in serious trouble.

KeiranHalcyon
2006-11-10, 10:00 PM
Also, how does she avoid being hit with glass shards when it explodes?

It's my interpretation that she just sucked it up and took the damage. Evasion not withstanding. (Note that every other time a character has... evaded... the half damage, they've actually visually escaped the blast zone (or whatever) of the effect they're evading. Not the case here.)

Lord Zentei
2006-11-10, 10:08 PM
It's my interpretation that she just sucked it up and took the damage. Evasion not withstanding. (Note that every other time a character has... evaded... the half damage, they've actually visually escaped the blast zone (or whatever) of the effect they're evading. Not the case here.)

Indeed; she is after all a high level paladin. All joking about saving throws aside.

Jefepato
2006-11-10, 10:32 PM

It could have gone either way, really. Miko didn't have room to visually escape the blast, but Evasion does not require her to. She doesn't appear wounded after the blast, but it probably didn't do enough damage to mean much against her hit point total anyway.

ozmar
2006-11-10, 10:40 PM

Not EVERY time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0019.html)...

merric101
2006-11-10, 10:43 PM
am i the only one that cant see it? when i click on 373 it just goes to a white screen, and and, I wanta see it sooooo badly....

KeiranHalcyon
2006-11-10, 10:44 PM
Not EVERY time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0019.html)...

Well. I stand corrected. Apparently, memory doesn't serve.

I still think that Miko just took it, though.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-10, 10:45 PM
am i the only one that cant see it? when i click on 373 it just goes to a white screen, and and, I wanta see it sooooo badly....

Works fine for me. :smallconfused:

EDIT: Try some other computer/service provider? Library computer, perhaps?

TinSoldier
2006-11-10, 10:47 PM
Link? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0373.html) What link? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0373)

merric101
2006-11-10, 10:50 PM
ive tried two diferent servers and three difrent comps, it just goes white.....

charik
2006-11-10, 10:57 PM
Considering the last line, along with some free time:

:miko: What do you want, foul beast? *Blades*
:mitd: You mentioned light of the gods or something, right? Can you help me out?
:miko: Why should I do anything for you?
:mitd: I'll give you anything! I just need to be seen!
:miko: ...Wha? *Lowers sword*
:mitd: You seem pretty cranky, too. Want to talk about it?
:miko: *Resumes combat stance* What is there to discuss!? I need to warn the city, and NOTHING will stand in my way!
:mitd: You're a paladin. Your job is to help people! I just eat mallowmars and cry! :frown:
:miko: I am, and I do. But you come with the most accursed enemy, and are guilty by association.
:mitd: Maybe I'm not even evil! Do that detect thing on me!
:miko: ...what?... *wanders off with Windstriker*
:mitd: *Follows*-I could tell you Xykon's complete plan!
:miko: *Stops* Hmmph. Tell me, then.
:mitd: ...uh, it involves Azure City...and some portal...
:miko: Riiight.
:mitd: I was ASKING to get scanned. What evil creature would ask that of a PALADIN!
:miko: Point taken. Nonetheless, I must go. *Continues through tower*
:mitd: You seem stressed. Want to talk about it?
:miko: I'm busy.
:mitd: Let's just have an honest discussion. Like, five minutes. What's the harm? Your horse will get there before Xykon does.
:miko: ...I...*hesitates*
:mitd: You know, you're pretty when you smile.
:miko: What does...?
:mitd: Seriously. I love your hair...do you condition?
:mitd: It's beautiful. It frames your features well.
:miko: *Look of incredulity*
:mitd: Has anyone ever told you that before?
:mitd: You look absolutely stunning in the torchlight. *Moves closer*
:miko: ...what?
:mitd: It's the truth. *Hovers right up next to her* Now, I've been honest so far. Why don't you tell me a bit about yourself? You seem so lonely. I've got some Snickers bars, maybe you could stay for a...
:miko: *Rolls eyes, Jumps onto Windstriker, bolts out of tower*
:mitd: GOT-DANGIT! DANGIT! DANGIT!! DANGIT!!!

Thanks for reading. :wink:

To quote one of my first posts on this board:
You, sir, are sick; sick, demented, and twisted. Brilliant, mind you, but sick, demented, and twisted.

Hallavast
2006-11-10, 11:21 PM
Why didn't she take the cage with her? If the force cage is not immovable, then how much would you think it weighs? If we compare it to, say, a "suit" of mage armor, it would be weightless, right? Furthermore, it would have no drag (completely perfect areodynamocity-is that the right word?). So, it would be like carrying a pensil around. Also, if you have nothing to anchor the cage to, what happens? Effectively, if it forms a cube, you could still move it around with you. Rich's interpretation of the spell asks a lot of questions.

Nice comic, though. I laughed.

Atheist_Cleric
2006-11-10, 11:26 PM
Hmm check out Windstriker in the last panel, he looks pretty spooked. And this is the horse that took on belkar with no unease. Maybe he can smell the monster...or even see it.

fractal
2006-11-10, 11:38 PM
Hmm check out Windstriker in the last panel, he looks pretty spooked. And this is the horse that took on belkar with no unease. Maybe he can smell the monster...or even see it.
He's always had a deep-seated fear of musty styrofoam.

Winged One
2006-11-11, 12:10 AM

Your point, oh slayer of catgirls?

MonkeyHead
2006-11-11, 12:33 AM
Go Go Mitd

OzymandiasVolt
2006-11-11, 12:37 AM
<Morbo> "FORCE EFFECTS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY. GOOD NIGHT."

Still good stuff. Hoorj for improvised explosives.

humanpylon
2006-11-11, 12:42 AM

Oooooooooh bad! Bad! Bad!

Aw who am I kidding? I love it!:smallbiggrin:

DeeJaye6
2006-11-11, 01:20 AM

ARGH!! Curse you, it17!!! I was here to mention just that! And you beat me to it! :-) Though it was actually Zykon who blasted the door, not Redcloak.

Forget the Force Cage, guys! There's no freaking door! So how's Zykon doing a "Click! Lock!" thing?? Giant! Fix it! Make it better! :-(

DeeJaye6
2006-11-11, 01:27 AM
Also: MitS - a grue?

Doubtful. He doesn't seem "sinister" in the least.

TinSoldier
2006-11-11, 01:34 AM
Though it was actually Zykon who blasted the door, not Redcloak.I beg to differ. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0369.html)

merric101
2006-11-11, 01:36 AM
YES< I FINALY GOT TO READ IT AND "BEST ONE YET" I THINK IS WHAT APPLIES HERE>:tongue:

Tobimaro
2006-11-11, 01:37 AM
Well, I guess that there is one way to get out of a Force Cage spell.

And yes, we see once again that Xykon is not a true Evil Genius. A true Evil Genius would have killed the hero two whole comics ago, and not have expounded upon his plan, or how great evil is over good. But that would make for a poor story. Oh well. :amused:

SteveMB
2006-11-11, 01:38 AM
About Miko jumoing to conclusions... she IS right about the trial of the OotS being rigged (though not in the way she imagines). And the ootS did deceive her - she'll go insane if she finds out Belkar is out there running loose.
Hmmm... it could get interesting when she confronts them
I have a feeling that that she'll berate the OotS for their "deception at the trial" (meaning her belief that they lied, rather than being honestly mistaken, about destroying Xykon) and Roy's attempt to defend himself will expose the real deception by Lord Shojo and his father.

Telinyth
2006-11-11, 01:42 AM
Granted, I haven't read through the entire thread, having other things to do with my time, but it seemed to me from a cursory glance that no one had pointed out the possibility that Xykon and Redcloak had purposely left MitD behind, to ensure that Miko stays put. I can't really see either of them being daft enough to just "forget" about their secret weapon.

Anway, I found the Python joke a little stilted, but that could just be because in my circle of acquaintances, nary a day goes by without someone mentioning one, and as a consequence, I've become accustomed to more clever incorporations. Meh. *shrugs*

I've always disliked Miko, simply because she's a rigid unidimensional antagonist (any one of those traits is fine in a character by itself, but all three?), but now I think I might be starting to truly hate her -- on account of her stilted dialogue! Painful to read, really. In fact, all told, the dialogue really was a bit below par on this strip (Xykon's use of "like" made me think of Valley girls, and cringe). But MitD's line was brilliant, so I suppose it all evens out.

J_Muller
2006-11-11, 02:16 AM
Your point, oh slayer of catgirls?

Huh?

Message must be 10 characters, apparently. These extras should more than qualify.

Solara
2006-11-11, 02:43 AM
So ludicrously awesome. Her way of getting out of that cage is like something you'd find in an old text adventure game:

They're not old! The genre has just had its name changed to 'interactive fiction' now! There's a very active community of people still making them! http://www.wurb.com/if, http://www.adrift.org.uk The games for the big annual comp are being judged right now! http://www.ifcomp.org/

They're actually much more advanced now with more focus on plot and characters! Traditional fantasy is kind of looked down on so all you D&D nerds need to get together and write some good games to make dragons popular again! Play Anchorhead for some awesome Lovecraftian horror! http://wurb.com/if/game/17

Actually, don't, instead play City of Secrets and The Dreamhold first because they're fantasy and they're a lot kinder to beginners! http://wurb.com/if/game/2106
http://wurb.com/if/game/2442

Whew! Sorry, couldn't resist...exclamation mark! I know it's way off topic but it's just this kneejerk reaction I have when someone mentions text adventures... (Exclamation mark!)

KeiranHalcyon
2006-11-11, 03:11 AM
Hmmm... it could get interesting when she confronts them
I have a feeling that that she'll berate the OotS for their "deception at the trial" (meaning her belief that they lied, rather than being honestly mistaken, about destroying Xykon) and Roy's attempt to defend himself will expose the real deception by Lord Shojo and his father.

My theory on that is that Miko will accusingly mention their deception, to which Roy will reply "How'd you find out about that?" (or similar), thus cementing Miko's opinions. If indeed Miko's opinions can become more cemented than they already are.

Winged One
2006-11-11, 03:16 AM
Huh?

Message must be 10 characters, apparently. These extras should more than qualify.
http://www.errantstory.com/comics/es20060807.jpg

Miklus
2006-11-11, 03:45 AM
To quote myself:

Originally Posted by Miklus

Gray Knight answered:

Probably referring specifically to a bracelet of friends.

Ah, I see...but would that not require Windstriker to say Miko's name out loud? It's a horse! Yes. it has an INT of 9, but speak? Assuming she has this 19.000gp bracelet anyway. And it does not involve the 10 foot pole.

Meanwhile, I have thought of another way. It involves the pole and a hole lot of dancing! What's the DC on an untrained seduction attempt???

DaveBo
2006-11-11, 05:01 AM
Oh, I am so in love with this one.
Miko gets to be self-righteous and wrong.
The good guys surprise me with good news in the face of certain doom.

Strike that, ... good CLEVER news....

I love that.

The good guys get surprised because they are, after all, mortal, too.

AND it was absolutely RIFE with references, which I love, being a vast trove of trivial knowledge: from vague awareness: "I choose you" and the container, to core value trivia "Help, Help, I'm being repressed".

AND you got to give the spook a pivotal moment!!!!

It was pretty much... A big Reveal... almost.

turn.self.off
2006-11-11, 05:11 AM
on the topic of broken use of forcecage:

if you want to be pedantic, there is no way she would be able to grab the demon roach from outside the cage. basicly the cage is drawn with to wide a gap between the bars.

i only have 3.0 at hand, but it say that the bars are half-inch wide, with half-inch gaps between them. sounds like a very fine-meshed chicken fence to me...

but in the end i don't care as it makes for such a brilliantly silly escape given the demonic roach and the exploding brandy :wink:

RecurringDream
2006-11-11, 05:12 AM
Wow. The MitD actually managed to seem ominous.

:mitd: "Hi. What's your name?"

Actually, I think it was really cute. Like the Muppets. He's so adorably childish and misunterstood! Imagine this cutely pathetic lil' ET-style movie creature coming out of the darkness, with a childlike "Hi."

Followed by a curious, "What's your name?"

It's heartmeltingly adorable!

<3 :mitd: