PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Need Ideas for a Husk Template

Certified
2013-02-19, 11:09 AM
Recent events in our gaming world have caused all the life force of a region to be drained from it. The surrounding area now looks like glass husks or an insect's shed carapace. What I'm looking for is a good template for creatures that were in the area. They may have crystalline or glass like traits. Generally, they should feel like some kind of undead shell of a beast.

Any thoughts?

Psyren
2013-02-19, 11:12 AM
Skeletons? (Exo- rather than endo- in this case, but mechanically the same.)

Certified
2013-02-19, 11:17 AM
Skeletons? (Exo- rather than endo- in this case, but mechanically the same.)

While I could use the base skeleton template I would like to be able to use most corporal undead in the area but differentiate them from their traditional counterparts.

rot42
2013-02-20, 01:52 AM
The Spellwarped template (MM III 163; +0 to +2 depending on HD) gives spell resistance and bonuses any time any time a spell fails to penetrate. This could be fluffed as a little magical life force temporarily returning to the husk. Could be interesting if everything in the countryside is drawn to magical power like water in a desert, and some of the more intelligent husks wake up enough to want more.

Effigy Creature (CArc 152; +1) gives construct type and a little DR/adamantine, but loses most special abilities. Elder Eidolon (LoM 147; +3) also grants the construct type, and comes with an aura of insanity and immunity to magic.

The fluff for Husk Vermin (DotU 126; +1 or +2 depending on size) is described pretty close to what you want - an insect carapace without all the juicy bits. It would take some tweaking to apply it to non-vermin, but gives Strength damage or a negative level attack.

Probably the easiest to apply on the fly would be Necropolitan (Libris Mortis 115; +0), which gives the undead type while leaving most of the base creature alone.

The Dark template (Tome of Magic; +1) gives Hide in Plain Sight, which could be described as being nearly transparent on a bleak and desolate landscape.