PDA

View Full Version : The arcane swordsage handbook, a guide for players and DMs

Soranar
2013-02-19, 11:52 AM
As the title implies, I'm trying to stat out what, exactly, can an arcane swordsage do.

What is an arcane swordsage?

First off, the swordsage has a feel somewhere between a sorcerer and a warlock.

Like a sorcerer he doesn't need a book but simplies knows his spells, albeit from a limited list.

Like a warlock he can, potentially, cast his spells all day long. Unlike a warlock he can run out of spells within an encounter although he has options to renew them.

Unlike either of those classes, a swordsage has no casting stat. He cannot gain more spells from a high stat nor can he increase the DC of his spells from a high stat since he casts spells as if they were maneuvers. Finally he can only have , at level 20, 12 spells readied at any given time and can only know 25 maneuvers total.

Unlike a normal spellcaster, he can add his WIS modifier to damage with spells from the chosen school of magic.

Unlike a normal spellcaster, an arcane swordsage has an initiator level, not a spellcaster level. Which means he won't qualify for any feat requiring a spellcasting level, like the feat obtain familiar.

In a similar vein an arcane swordsage does not qualify you for prestige classes requiring a spellcaster level and will not be progressed by those classes though he still gains the benefit of half an initiator level per level for any class. He also doesn't cast spells, he initiates them, which means he doesn't qualify for any classes requiring the ability to cast spells.

He cannot boost his spellcaster level with the feat practiced spellcaster either. Not can he apply metamagic feats to his spells as they are not cast like spells but initiated like maneuvers. He also does not provoke an AoO when initiating his spells and he doesn't suffer from arcane spell failure since, again, he initiates spells like maneuvers.

The arcane swordsage's spells

Finally, an arcane swordsage's spells must be from the following schools of magic:

Abjuration
Evocation
Transmutation

And their range must be touch or personal.

An arcane swordsage also has access to spells which he can cast as a swift action and last as long as he wishes, like stances. He may only have 1 such spell active at any given time unless a class ability says otherwise. The spell must be chosen from one of the allowed school of magic with the appropriate range and the spell must only affect him, again like a stance.

While the text suggests a nice DM would allow other spells, I find this spell list is already powerful enough.

Level 1: enlarge person, protection from x, shield, reduce person, shocking grasp
Level 2: alter self, owl's wisdom
Level 3: exploding runes, nondetection, blink, fly, greater magic weapon

While damaging spells are few and far in between , and save or suck spells seem mostly nonexistent, personal buffs are both powerful and numerous. You also have access to a few if the late game I win buttons namely:

-shapechange, timestop, etheralness

Other class features

BAB: as rogue
Save: High Ref and Will
Hit die: as rogue
Skills: x6 from a strong list
Proficiencies: all simple, all melee martial

Gameplay

How would playing an arcane swordsage feel like? Well, for one thing, you'd feel oddly similar to a cleric at low levels: having a medium BAB, few offensive spells and many buffs. You'd probably need to dip into a fighting class to obtain armor proficiencies or you could simply spend a feat to get them.

On the other hand a warforged character could simply wear his plating. He'd also have access to unlimited healing through the repair spells. Making him invaluable to a group entirely composed of warforged characters.

At medium levels you'd begin to gain access to a handful of gamebreakers but you'd still be strickly worse than a tier 1 class since your spells will never have a high DC even if you find some within the right school of magic and with the right range.

In conclusion, an arcane swordsage is a tier 2 character. While useful to have around he wouldn't shine as much unless the group had tier 1 roles covered: namely battlefield control. He also can't summon or benefit much from action economy and would get crushed by a dedicated spellcaster due to those failings.

Answerer
2013-02-19, 12:04 PM
You're... what version of Arcane Swordsage is this? Tome of Battle explicitly does not detail any such variant, it only suggests that such a variant could be made. It does not provide any of the rules you are talking about here.

Also, cannot increase DCs with a high stat? Every single maneuver that grants a save adds an ability score to its base (which is always 10+maneuver level); for an Arcane Maneuver kind of thing it would be expected that the Arcane Swordsage adds Wis, the ability score used by Desert Wind and Shadow Hand.

Of course, since you're referencing, apparently, some homebrew version of the class, it's entirely possible that the homebrew instituted rules that you talk about. Doesn't sound like it would be very good homebrew though.

Namfuak
2013-02-19, 12:05 PM
I assume this is homebrew, so it would likely do better in that forum. That said, my guess would be that, while it is ostensibly a tier 2 since it has access to 9th level transmutation spells, most people would end up playing it as a tier 3. I suppose my main question would be why this is necessary over simply playing an arcane gish, or even a Jade Phoenix Mage entered with swordsage.

Amnestic
2013-02-19, 12:10 PM
I assume this is homebrew

Seems that way to me. You can't really make a handbook about a variant with as little detail as the Arcane Swordsage.

lunar2
2013-02-19, 12:24 PM
miracle is evocation. the maneuver miracle is (SU) and has no components. beginning at level 17, the arcane swordsage is T0, for at-will miracles.

Soranar
2013-02-19, 12:25 PM
actually this is all from the variant reference. I just followed one conclusion to the next.

for example: if you initiate spells like maneuvers, then you're not casting them

etc

lunar2
2013-02-19, 01:08 PM
but the variant doesn't say you can only take spells with a range of touch or personal, just that those are the best ones. it also doesn't limit the swordsage to those 3 schools, it just says those are the best ones. it also doesn't say no ability score to saves (maneuvers that grant saves do add an ability score to those saves). you made a lot of assumptions that turn this into effectively homebrew.

Amnestic
2013-02-19, 01:10 PM
actually this is all from the variant reference. I just followed one conclusion to the next.

for example: if you initiate spells like maneuvers, then you're not casting them

etc

The variant says the following things:
"You give the Swordsage the ability to learn arcane spells in place of Maneuvers of equivalent levels." Note that this text does not necessarily preclude also learning maneuvers, just that you have the option to learn spells in place of them in addition to learning maneuvers.

"In general Abjuration, Evocation and Transmutation are most appropriate, especially with range of personal or touch." This text does not preclude other spells, it is merely a recommendation. This is a clear contrast to your postwhich reads:

The arcane swordsage's spells

Finally, an arcane swordsage's spells must be from the following schools of magic:

Abjuration
Evocation
Transmutation

And their range must be touch or personal.

Emphasis mine.

"The arcane spell is 'cast' as if it were a martial maneuver". Now, ToB Pg. 37 states "A martial maneuver is a discrete extraordinary or supernatural effect that is temporarily expended after use", indicating that Arcane Swordsage spells, if Ex, might function completely normally inside Anti-Magic Fields and they could not be dispelled. They would also not provoke AoOs.

"You should remove the light armor proficiency and reduce the Swordsage's HD to d6." You did at least get that part right.

This line here:

An arcane swordsage also has access to spells which he can cast as a swift action and last as long as he wishes, like stances. He may only have 1 such spell active at any given time unless a class ability says otherwise. The spell must be chosen from one of the allowed school of magic with the appropriate range and the spell must only affect him, again like a stance. You appear to have made up entirely. The variant says nothing of it.

Onerai
2013-02-19, 02:24 PM
Whilst I do not wish to downplay what is certainly a valid and forward-thinking effort by Soranar, the wording in the ToB of how to make an arcane swordsage is too ambiguous for these conclusions to be the only ones that are logically correct by RAW.

Unlike the unarmed swordsage variant, the rules are very unclear. In particular I find the following to be points of contention...

In general, spells from the schools of abjuration, evocation, and transmutation are most appropriate for a swordsage of this type, especially spells with a range of personal or touch. The arcane spell is “cast” as if it were a martial maneuver. - From the original Tome Of Battle

The phrase "in general" makes it clear that these are not the only schools or types of spells that should be used for this adaptation. Indeed, the phrase "are most appropriate" is also a conditional qualifier that the text does not expand upon further, suggesting that these would not be the only spells swordsages would cast.

The last sentence of the above quote is even worse. It does not make it clear whether this simply means the spell is cast as an arcane spell but uses up a slot as a manuver, or whether the spell should be used as a supernatural ability. In particular I find I must disagree with Soranar's conclusion that the arcane swordsage does not add any ability score modifier to their saving throw DCs, as this contradicts the saving throw DC calculation formula for both spells and martial manuvers.

So what am I trying to say?

TL,DR version: Arcane swordsage is based on a description that is simply too incomplete and subjective to ever be a self-evident ruling by 3.5 RAW. I certainly don't object to Soranar's attempt to "fix and complete" it and look forward to seeing some possible builds and tricks.

RFLS
2013-02-19, 02:29 PM

etc

Yeah, this is really pretty much entirely homebrew.

Soranar
2013-02-19, 02:36 PM
The swift action spell reference comes from the description of a stance.

However I agree that the wording is too amgiguous for this not to be homebrew so I'd need to get this thread moved to the homebrew section.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-19, 02:44 PM
The class "Swordsage" is used for one of the Tome of Battle base classes. If you are creating a new class you need a different name.

If this is how you think a ToB Swordsage works, I suppose I can see treating maneuvers as spells, but you need to emphasize the 3/4 BAB and light armor available to the ToB Swordsage.

SilverLeaf167
2013-02-19, 02:52 PM
I think they should definitely have access to at least some Illusion spells (Shadow Hand is definitely my favorite discipline), mostly the self-buff sort like Invisibility and Blur.

The class "Swordsage" is used for one of the Tome of Battle base classes. If you are creating a new class you need a different name.

If this is how you think a ToB Swordsage works, I suppose I can see treating maneuvers as spells, but you need to emphasize the 3/4 BAB and light armor available to the ToB Swordsage.
He's simply trying to stat out the "Arcane Swordsage" variant briefly mentioned in the Adaptation section of the original Swordsage class, but never properly explained.

avr
2013-02-19, 10:18 PM
The plating on a warforged gives Arcane Spell Failure. As arcane swordsages get no armour proficiency and the spells are from the sorcerer/wizard list, the spells they cast are probably arcane spells subject to ASF. I wouldn't recommend a warforged build.

Damaging spells are few but not nonexistent. Since you get a limited number of spells as an arcane swordsage anyway this isn't a critical problem. Shocking grasp & storm touch spring to mind.

Douglas
2013-02-20, 12:28 AM
Yeah, the Arcane Swordsage is a group of vague suggestions and loose guidelines for the most part, and anything more than that is homebrew. Speaking of which, I have my own homebrew detailing of it right over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187632) if you're interested.

RFLS
2013-02-20, 12:55 AM
Yeah, the Arcane Swordsage is a group of vague suggestions and loose guidelines for the most part, and anything more than that is homebrew. Speaking of which, I have my own homebrew detailing of it right over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187632) if you're interested.

That actually looks really solid; do you mind if I reference it in the my Swordsage handbook?

Douglas
2013-02-20, 01:38 PM
That actually looks really solid; do you mind if I reference it in the my Swordsage handbook?
Nope, go right ahead.

lunar2
2013-02-20, 01:48 PM
you know, now that i think about it, it seems that much like unarmed swordsage was supposed to be the better monk, arcane swordsage is supposed to be the better warlock.