PDA

View Full Version : Mercenaries group A (IC)

raspberrybadger
2013-02-19, 02:46 PM
As you approach your destination, the lesser Danel river is on your right. You pass a barge going southwards and a few smaller boats using the river, as well as a number of fords which sometimes have people crossing the river on foot. The closer you get to Torren, the more caution you see in people using the river or the road.

Especially close to Torren, the area to the west of the road is increasingly filled with oat fields, with the occasional small groups of farm houses in the distance and small paths leading there from the road. There are a number of hilly areas as well, which have either trees or grass with sheep or goats grazing on them.

When you get to the town, there is a guard at the gates, and it isn't until wariness is replaced with a brief moment of recognition in his eyes that he unbars them for you. Once inside the gates, you can see a guard hut with a few spears and crossbows racked just inside the open door.

The tavern is not far from the south gate, but on your way you can see two shop fronts. One has a sign with a hammer, next to the rising sun inside a wheel of Inspiration. The other has a sign with the word Cabinetry ornately carved into it. At the door of the tavern, there's a half-orc seemingly waiting for you. He gives a smile to Dyra, and signals the tavernkeeper. A moment later, a thin blonde man in an apron with Mercy's table hurries over. He introduces himself as Karl, not even asking your names, and hustles you into a back room, telling yourself to make yourselves welcome. There are chairs there and a table with bread, olives, and watered wine with cups that he hastily pours into, before hustling off.

Creed
2013-02-19, 04:10 PM
Jones watches Karl go, then turns his eyes to the assembled food. He sits down in a chair, sliding it an an angle to half-face the door.
The old man takes off his wide-brimmed hat, setting it on the table in front of him, then runs his eyes quickly over the other mercenaries.

WarBrute
2013-02-19, 04:33 PM
Dyra

Dyra walks into town with the hood of her blue cloak pulled over her head. "Peh peh peh. Come along now. Peh. Peh Peh. She says to the pack laden goat that walks beside her. She walks confidently towards the tavern, using a long oaken staff as a walking stick, and smiles at the half-orc waiting outside revealing a row of slightly crooked teeth.

"Marlu, it's good to see you still standing your old guard." She kneels down next to the goat, "Alright Glyn, I've got to go inside for business. You stay out here and keep Marlu company." She stands and looks to Marlu, "Maybe when I'm finished in there we can have a drink? With that she walks inside and follows Karl to the back room.

Seeing Jones she smiles and gives a nod "Hey, old man. Glad to see no one's put you in the ground yet." After she sits she sticks her hand into the olive bowl and pulls out a handful. She removes her hood and begins to pop olives into her mouth.

Creed
2013-02-19, 06:39 PM
The old man grunts back at Dyra.
"It's gonna take more than a few blades to put this old dog down, little lady."
Jones eases his coat off onto the back of the chair, revealing all manner of weaponry and gear attached either to the inside of the coat, or to the vest he wears over the dull, slightly worn chain mail that covers his torso.

zlefin
2013-02-19, 07:30 PM
Corith

Corith comes into town, wearing his full armor; shield slung to his back along with his gear. He nods to the guardsman, not wishing to distract him from his duties with idle chatter. He follows the group into the tavern; and takes a seat when they're in the back room. He nods in greeting to the other members of the team but otherwise remains silent as they talk to each other; and he begins nibbling at the food.

stack
2013-02-20, 08:32 AM
Edom's dark cloak flutters slightly as he flows into the room, casually spinning a chair and sitting while snagging a cup. He gives the others a mock salute, then tosses an olive up into the air and catches it in his mouth. "So, anyone now what the job is? Must be serious enough for this group of old hands, eh?" The dimness of the back room diminishes the unnatural smoothness of his skin; his casual posture and manner prevent him from fading into the shadows in his dark attire.

WarBrute
2013-02-20, 10:45 AM
Dyra

Dyra snorts into a cup of wine at Jones' "little lady" comment. "I'll hold you to it, old man."

Dyra raises her cup in answer to Edom's salute. "Serious job means serious pay, right? I haven't had a good job for a couple of moons. I feel like I've taken a vow of poverty."

stack
2013-02-20, 11:22 AM
Edom shrugs as be tears a chunk of bread. "There was a bit of local color on a caravan job out East, but my pockets are light enough. Least we're meeting in a civilized local. Never take a job offered in the ruins of a temple in the middle of a swamp." That was interesting reading. Wonder if I really did it? There was a half-orc woman there as well...didn't draw a picture though.

Creed
2013-02-20, 03:05 PM
Jones nods at Dyra's comment.
"I know the feeling. Work's scarce, never hurts to practice a real job for a change, instead of putting our necks on the line for our daily bread."
To illustrate the point, the old gunslinger removes a standard, albeit sharp-looking, butcher's cleaver from his coat, then replaces it a moment later.

stack
2013-02-20, 03:47 PM
Edom holds up one pale arm. A whirl of black tattoos dance about, spinning and shifting hypnotically. "Aye, but honest tradesmen don't see as much of the world, do they? Still my needle is good for some coin, from time to time."

zlefin
2013-02-20, 06:02 PM
CORITH

"I've no idea what the job is It does look to be serious to assemble such a group as us; but that's what we do, and we'll find out soon enough..
Corith then sits back in his chair and smirks while the others talk of honest jobs. He chuckles and speaks; "As my prior work was as a guard then a soldier, mercenary isn't really much more of a risk to my neck; and it tends to pay better."

raspberrybadger
2013-02-20, 06:41 PM
Karl isn't gone long when a tall man in chainmail opens the door for a thin faced man wearing a simple military cloak clasped with an ornate brooch. He's followed by a man in formal civilian robes who nervously carries a case of parchment, a pen, and four bags of obviously jingling coins.

The man who opened the door stands with his back to the wall next to the door, watching everything, though his sword remains in his belt.

Meanwhile, as soon as he's cleared the door, Publius looks directly at each of you for a single second apiece, then speaks rapidly and clearly:

"It is well that you are here. A week ago, Torren here withstood an assault from some twelve trolls. One fell to some sort of fire alchemy. Some enterprising young lads have kept a fire going in its skeleton, as a warning. You'll see it when you leave. The others fled the magery of Findath, the wizard here. Which is good, because he can scarcely have accounted for more than one of them. The walls on their own can barely slow them down, but I've made sure the town is more than ready for another assault. Unless they have a force ten times that size, but there's not much to be done about that.

When I sent for you, no-one here had reason to believe there were more than two trolls. With this many, and this many attacks on outlying settlements, they must be operating out of the forests nearby. More seriously, I'm told that trolls simply do not work together on this scale. Alone, that is. Someone smarter or bigger than a troll is behind this.

Thus, the silver mines to the east are at risk. Trolls might not know, but their backer... all too likely. There are of course guards there, but their deployment is designed to repel human bandits or minor threats to the woodcutters necessary for the smelting. Our garrison commander cites orders, preventing his assistance in this local matter, even after the assault here - it failed, after all.

So, I have three tasks for you. Officially, I am merely employing you as security contractors for the Silverlode mine. You're to work with Artok, the mine master. He's a dwarf, so he'll be calling the mine in his own tongue. Iwam. You're also to work with Torre. She's the warden, in charge of the polearm squad and the rangers. They've been informed that they are to work with you as well, but keep in mind they know local conditions better. On their own though they don't have combat power sufficient for trolls in these numbers. There are no real fortifications beyond the mines themselves, though the huts of the town and the hedges of the Wisdom shrine could be pressed into service. I want you to head there right away and make sure the place is set up to repel troll attack.

That is the first task.

The second task is to be active about defending the mine. By this, I mean you are to seek out and defeat the trolls. You need not kill them all, but I want no retreat then resurgence when you are gone.

The third task must by necessity remain entirely unofficial. Know, however, that as my agents I will do well by you. Find the reason for these troll outrages, and handle it.

You are well paid professionals, and I offer the following compensation. First, I offer you each three thousand gold, payable immediately. Second, should you be successful in removing the immediate threat, another three thousand. Third, should you be required to handle some straightforward reason for these attacks, I will offer yet another three thousand. Should the matter be more complicated, payment will need to be more indirect, but I will raise it accordingly.

As well, I offer each of you one percent of profits on silver ingots coming out of the Silverlode after all expenses, for the next year. In a normal year that would be payment more than double the rest. Profits this year will depend on the security situation of course.

Any goods you recover will go to arbitration by a priest of Justice. They are yours if not stolen from those still able to appear at court locally. If needed for immediate security concerns, I will pay compensation.

Following the main road out the east gate should take you to the mine in some eight miles. Since an attack could come at any time, I expect you there tonight.

Questions?"

Creed
2013-02-20, 06:46 PM
Jones looks over to Corith, and chuckles.
"Boy, I done a lot of jobs in my days, and let me tell you, runnin' as a merc is the bloodiest and most dangerous of them my a long shot. You'll see, when someone brings ya on and doesn't let you know it's basically a suicide mission."
The old man leans back in his chair,
"Y'see, mercs are in more danger cause there's less of us. Guards, armies, there you have back-up. You have safety in numbers. Here, boy, it just you, a crew, and the world. Ain't no retreat most of the time."

zlefin
2013-02-20, 08:57 PM
Corith listens carefully to all the information and mulls it over for a moment before asking his questions:
"I'd like to hear more about these attacks on outlying settlements; how many have there been; how many casualties; if they've been concentrated in any region; what they took during these attacks, and anything else that may be relevant.

Did the trolls use any weapons?

What exactly are the orders of the garrison commander that prevent him from assisting in this?

Why does the 3rd task have to remain confidential? Anyone or anything who sends trolls to attack people is committing a crime; if they're located and dealt with I don't see why secrecy would be required. If it's someone influential then i'd understand the need for discretion; but we don't know who's behind it yet.

raspberrybadger
2013-02-20, 09:28 PM
Publius snaps off answers, one by one:

"No clear numbers on attacks, as no-one was about to send people out there to check. Eight reported attacks to the northeast, and one to the north. The first two were investigated. A pair of trolls killed everyone, took the food and silver, left the tools and clothes, and left to the north northeast. It's not surprising. Little north of here is really fortified. Our defence rests on raids, deterrence, legions in force. Too much terrain to really cover thoroughly. We lose woodcutters to the forest every month, but the forest is a defence in its own way. Not against trolls, it would seem.

No weapons reported, except one farmer fleeing on a horse said he saw something big with a club chasing him.

The garrison orders are, as always, politics, though they do have the Micomani to keep in check. Hill tribe, use the nastiest poisons on arrows. Suffice it to say that were I governor, politics would not get in the way.

As for the third task, I would say that whoever has trolls at his call has power, one kind or another. Giving such a person warning is unwise, and a chance to use whatever influence he has, unwiser still."

WarBrute
2013-02-20, 10:21 PM
Dyra

Dyra whistles as is mentally adds up the 9000 gold and what portion of it would be going to the church of Wisdom. Plus the silver should keep me supported while doing extensive medical research... Suddenly the missing woodcutters cause something to click in her head Oh, by the Wisdom! Erigus...

"I'm acquainted with the chief forester of the North, a Half-Orc that goes by Erigus. I'm sure he is concerned about these missing woodcutters. Have you been in contact with him?"

Creed
2013-02-20, 10:25 PM
Jones thinks for a minute, then nods.
"Sounds agreeable enough to me. Don't know about the young ones, but I'll go. Kill the trolls, protect the mine, hunt down their leader. Shouldn't me much of a problem."
He stands, and shrugs his coat on with the quiet jingle of weapons.
"One thing though... these, whadiya call 'em? Micomani? How hostile are they towards our folk? Can we consider that they might be working for the beasts?"

raspberrybadger
2013-02-20, 11:09 PM
"Hadn't thought to even send him a message. He works for the governor. I doubt the governor much cares about the woodcutters, though I'd not be surprised if your man were. Only makes sense to care about the people under you. Now, when it comes to the forest, I've told my people to ask Kimi. She's a dwarf, the priestess of the Wisdom grove up at Silverlode. I would think she's there now."

"The Micomani? Barbarians, and the nastiest kind, always saving those that have serious sorcerers. Hostile as anything if we let them. When they try something though, we send in a legion to burn everything we can. If this were just trolls, I'd say the Micomani taste as good as we do. The people behind the trolls? If they'd use trolls, they'd use barbarians for sure. I may be able to use that argument to Quintus to get a detachment from his legion to at least be on the lookout for that kind of thing. He can do that and call it keeping an eye on them. That will take some time of course."

stack
2013-02-21, 08:17 AM
Edom leans back and rests his head in his hands behind him. "Sounds plain enough to me. Show your coin and we can get to gathering supplies. Sounds like fire worked well enough before, might be a good idea to have more, though I can't recall too much about the creatures. Suppose we'll just have to keep our eyes open after we find them. We can let the garrison worry about barbarians for now."

raspberrybadger
2013-02-21, 01:08 PM
The noble's eyes narrow a moment when Edom mentions coin, but instead of mentioning the matter, he nods to his servant, who carefully gives each of you one of the jingling bags. While this is happening, he responds:

"Reports show one of these things getting back up again after a punishing crossbow volley, but the one that went down to fire stayed down. The militia threw burning oil on it after it went down just to be on the safe side, having seen how that first one got back up again. So if you wanted to get some fire from the alchemist.."

A this point, the servant, finished with the money and handing you each a letter detailing the transaction, speaks up and says with increasing but well controlled nervousness "Merfu's the name, sir. Has a shop on the west bank, north end. I should mention that we already bought out his stock of alchemist's fire for town defence. I can have some requisitioned, and they can ask if he's got anything made special in the last two days. The chandler should have some ordinary oil as well. That's two doors down."

Publius waves for his servant to be silent, and says ""Very well, I shall send someone to meet you at Merfu's shop with requisitioned fire, and another with oil. You'll want to be in Silverlode long before nightfall.

With that, they leave the room crisply, the bodyguard leading the way again.

It's around noon now, and night comes around 7:30.

stack
2013-02-21, 02:03 PM
After watching them go, Edom hops up from his chair. "Well, I suppose we ought acquire a few torches to have if we need to light the oil. I don't really have anything handy for starting fires, how 'bout you all? Mayhaps we need to do a bit of shopping before our little walk."

WarBrute
2013-02-21, 02:55 PM
Dyra

Dyra stretches her fingers out in front her, "I know a thing or two about starting fires."

Creed
2013-02-21, 04:07 PM
Jones opens his coat and pulls out a flint and steel.
"Got these, a tad of oil, and some charges that'll light 'em up like a bonfire on a starry night. Might want to consider gettin' a few more of them ready, all things considered."

zlefin
2013-02-21, 11:37 PM
Corith

I've a good supply of acid and fire already; though I should pick up some good flint too. Keeping a bonfire going will be handy defensively.

I'm inclined to look at the possibility of calling in more people from the guild. The pay on this job is high enough that even split more ways it's a lot of money, and it's a lot safer since this job looks to be more trouble than our group was built to handle. Whether this would be useful would also depend on how much is available for local support; and whether you guys are willing to split the money more ways.

Here's my basic thoughts on scenarios:
If we fight at the mine; us, plus the mine's guards, plus even some basic defenses or chokepoints would be enough to defeat all the trolls; as trolls alone won't have ranged support.
If we can find the troll lair; the 4 of us alone would be hard pressed to take down all the trolls at once; however if we can find them while they're separated and pick off a few at a time we could take them all out readily enough. How the trolls would react to their numbers getting picked off would matter a fair deal. Main thing is to make sure that when we're off looking for their lair or picking off a few of them, the rest don't take out the mine.
If the trolls don't separate enough to get picked off; we'd need to bring in more force or set up a really good ambush to beat them safely. Anyone we bring in is more people who might tell their backer if we use locals; and i'm not sure how many locals there are who could be gathered for such a thing anyways.

As for whoever's behind the trolls some thoughts: getting trolls to rampage is easy, but getting them to follow a plan would probably take a lot of management; so we may be able to find them with the trolls at some point if we watch; aside from that connecting their backer to the trolls may prove difficult. I doubt trolls read, not much at any rate; magical communication would be hard to trace; and torturing a troll for info would be rather hard.

The big question is; once whoever's behind them gets wind that something's happening; are they going to back up the trolls with additional forces of some kind, or just wash their hands of the affair, destroy evidence and walk away.

What are your thoughts on the matter team?

stack
2013-02-22, 08:28 AM
Edom nods. "Letter would take a few days, might be the matter is resolved before reinforcements arrive...but if not, we can't send it later. I'll chip in. A few stout hands to watch the mines while we're hunting, if nothing else. Either way we need to be at the mines tonight. If it stays quiet I say we start scouting in the morning. As for their leader, I don't see much to be done until we have an idea who we are dealing with. Might be able to sneak about a bit once we have the lair located."

WarBrute
2013-02-22, 11:39 AM
Dyra

"I like these plans." Dyra says while fiddling with a bead in one of her braids. "If we can scare the Trolls into retreating like they did here we should be able to track them back to a lair. I mean they're trolls, how hard can they be to track?"

She lets the braid fall. "Either way, I think we should be heading out soon, we have about 7 hours before night fall and I'd rather arive with plenty of daylight to spare."

stack
2013-02-22, 01:16 PM
"Agreed, let us go pick up those supplies and head out."

raspberrybadger
2013-02-23, 02:25 AM
OOC: Is there any particular store people want to visit, or do you want to just post a shopping list of mundane items in the OOC thread and get going?

zlefin
2013-02-23, 05:36 PM
Corith
I'm just gonna pick up some flint before we head out; aside from that i'm already well stocked on things; unless there's magic items to be bought in town.
Also, shouldn't something in ooc be said in the ooc thread?

Creed
2013-02-23, 09:04 PM
Jones walks out of the bar, placing his hat upon his head and separating from the group.
"I'll meet you at the edge of town. I've got to see a man about a troll pack sized can of whoop a**."
The old man turns away, a plan formulating in his head. These trolls were, unthinking, unfeeling, and probably had the lack of fear characteristic of a hunter descending upon a hare, caught within the snare.
He would have to see what "Devil Jones" could do about that.

raspberrybadger
2013-02-24, 01:57 AM
Those leaving the tavern see a fairly busy street leading away from the gate to the bridge over the river. There's a wagon being loaded with barrels of some sort, a few hand drawn carts leaving by the south gate, and a number of people heading towards the tavern on foot.

Anyone heading over to the alchemist's:

A messenger there hands you a sack with 5 alchemist's fire, 5 tinder twigs, and a dose of ifrit's blood. The alchemist also comes out to see if there's anything you need.

Creed
2013-02-25, 01:16 AM
Jones and his cart roll to the edge of town, carrying the old man's supplies in large piles, secured to the cart with twine. The old mercenary looks at the ballista pointing off the back of the cart, and chuckles to himself.
"Trolls better be wearin' some big metal plates, or this bad boy's just gonna punch holes in 'em like lightning through a rainstorm."
He pulls up on his reins, stepping into the back of the vehicle to take a quick inventory of his new toys, grinning as he straightens the mass of bear traps. This was going to be an interesting job, indeed.

stack
2013-02-25, 08:35 AM
Edom looks over the contents of the cart as well as their new acquisitions. "Bet we could right some of those vials to go off along with the bear traps. Work in some casks of oil, we could have a merry bonfire."

He'll buy masterwork trapsmith tools if available (maybe assembling a kit from other, innocuous tools)

WarBrute
2013-02-25, 11:13 AM
Dyra

Dyra greets the Alchemist "Hello, brother Merfu. Thank you kindly for the your donation. Would you mind if I looked at your brewing supplies. I will, of coarse, pay full price for anything that looks useful."

1,500 gp worth of brewing supplies

zlefin
2013-02-25, 08:37 PM
Corith

Corith smiles lightly and nods thoughtfully.
Looks like you've all got some interesting plans for things. Nice thorough work.

(OOC note - just making a daily post to keep things going; )

stack
2013-02-25, 08:42 PM
Edom gather a few other supplies to aid in the fortifications; twine, wire, various hinges, lumber, chain, and anything else that looks handy, as well as some fine tools for working it all.

per the OOC, MW trapmaker tools plus 250 GP of misc trap supplies.

raspberrybadger
2013-02-26, 02:28 PM
The craftspeople of Torren are unusually prompt in getting your goods ready for shipment. Everyone here seems used to working together efficiently and diligently. The local priest of Inspiration offers some sort of blessing - though it almost looks like he's blessing the wagonload of crossbows and the like. Whatever the case, he looks like he approves. Despite the hustle, it takes about an hour and a half to gather all the supplies and pack them for travel.

The journey to Silverload is uneventful. After about a mile from Torren, the road is empty, and the farms begin to be replaced with forest and gentle hills. The forest appears to have been planted in rows, with all the trees in an area about the same height.

When you get to Silverload, you are first noticed by three men with glaive-guisarmes and studded leather jerkins, who look more than a little jumpy - at the first sign of you, they call out and four more similarly armed come straggling in from somewhere deeper in the village. They appear to have been told of your coming, so they are easily enough satisfied that you are not a threat. In the commotion, a thinnish dwarf in a mithril chain shirt and a leather mining helmet comes out to meet you. He introduces himself with a bow: "Artok, mine master here at Iwam. At your service."

On one of the higher hills, a tall hedge marks that place as the shrine to Wisdom. There is a complex of buildings for the smelting, with smoke rising to the sky. The largest building in the village is the combined kitchen, mess hall, and shrine to Mercy, though it doesn't really stand out as such. There are also a variety of houses, many of which are simple wooden lean-tos covered in rubble from the mining operation. There are a few free standing wooden houses, four communal barracks type structures, and a stone house which seems to emerge from a hillside. Lastly, there is the mine entrance itself, just a tunnel leading into a large hill.
The sun is low in the sky - there are perhaps two hours left before it sets.

Especially given what Publius said about forest management, Dyra recognizes that the orderly rows of trees are likely the result of replanting efforts by Kimi, the dwarven wisdom cleric at the mine. Others might notice this too on a Knowledge Religion roll of 20.

stack
2013-02-26, 03:13 PM
Edom sketches an informal bow in return. "Edom Blackhand of the Mercenary guild, and company." He sweeps an arm toward the others.

Turning to his companions, in an experienced, businesslike tone, "Figure we have a bit of light left, out to scout around, figure approaches and such. No good preparing defenses in the wrong spot. Shame there's no stockade, plenty of trees about."

Back to Artok, "They told us some general details, but you and your men would obviously know more. Anywhere between here and the direction of the attacks that seems a likely choke-point, or is it all open woods past the complex?"

knowledge Religion [roll0]

perception [roll1] to get the lay of the land

wish we had a bard and a lyre of building :smallfrown:

Creed
2013-02-26, 03:16 PM
As Edom speaks to the mining master, Jones silently stands and steps into the back of the cart, lifting a ballista bolt and winching it into the mounted weapon.

WarBrute
2013-02-26, 08:49 PM
Dyra

"Well met, Artok." Dyra says while her eyes wander around the camp landing on the hedges on the hill. Dyra waits for Artok to answer Edom's question before asking her own. "Is Priestess Kimmi in? I would very much like to speak with her." She glances over her shoulder at Jones as he loads the ballista Just what in the hells is the old man loading that now for?

raspberrybadger
2013-02-26, 10:07 PM
Artok replies, "All open woods. There are some narrow ways between hills, but there's always a longer way around."

To Dyra, he says, "Yes, she is here. She'll be having her breakfast in the dining hall, I expect."

Creed
2013-02-26, 10:33 PM
Jones hops down from the cart and speaks to his allies.
"You folks get acquainted, I'm going to see if I can get some defense set up in case they decide to show up a few minutes early for the dinner bell."
The old man undoes the horses, two at a time, and walks them into the stable. After the horses are settled, he comes back out and grabs a handful of bear traps.
"Corith, do me a favor and find that warden Publius was talking about. See how much help we can expect from them."

zlefin
2013-02-27, 12:41 AM
CORITH

Corith nods to Jones; Aye.

corith then turns to Artok Where can I find the warden in charge of the guards here?

Corith will then go wherever artok says the warden is; if the warden is here. If the warden is out scouting or something; then i'll do, uh, something else.

WarBrute
2013-02-27, 01:36 AM
Dyra

Dyra thanks Artok, and says to her companions, "I will go speak with Kimmi. She maybe able to give me a better idea about the forest and what kind of medical supplies this camp might have."

With that Dyra heads up the road to the mess hall. Along the way she takes note of what camp life is like. Is the road empty or crowded? Are the workers nervous? Do they carry weapons? Are there guards?

When she gets to the hall she looks around for Kimmi. If she can't find her she'll ask the nearest person for help finding her.

raspberrybadger
2013-02-27, 04:07 AM
Jones finds plenty of space in the stable. It's mostly empty right now, though there is plenty of hay and straw.

Artok replies to Corith: "She's out hunting, or seems more likely watching over the other hunters. We're getting less food in, and we don't want to run short if we're beset. Besides, that's a screen on our woodcutters. She'll be back well before nightfall."

The road is mostly empty, except a pair of women are carrying water towards the village from the stream to the south, and a man is guiding a mule and cart full of some sort of rock towards the smelting buildings. A few men are coming out of one of the smelting buildings to unload the cart. All these are unarmed. The woman looks quite nervous, while the men just look tired.

The only guards you see are the ones that met you and your wagon. Three are back to patrolling the area together. Another three have stacked their weapons against the wall of one of the smelting buildings and are getting ready to help unload the wagon. The last has gone back into the guard barracks.

Kimi is eating breakfast in the dining hall at a long table, with one other dwarf sitting next to her. He is wearing chainmail even at the table and has a great spiked hammer leaning against the wall. Kimi is wearing a black cloak and a necklace with a silver wand over a chain shirt and some sort of wool leggings, and she's got an unstrung bow and quiver next to her. She has long lustrous black hair tied up in some sort of knot. They are eating eggs and oatmeal with bits of meat in it.

When Dyra comes in, her companion merely keeps on eating, but Kimi stops and gives her a thorough look before glancing down briefly at her own necklace. She looks like she's waiting for Dyra to speak first.

stack
2013-02-27, 08:47 AM
Edom starts grabbing the bear traps. "No time for anything fancy, I suppose. Let's get these laid out. Figure a line, just past the stables, between the hills? Slow 'em down coming out of the woods, give us a clear shot. With more time I'd try to funnel them down, pits 'n walls, make them walk into the trap, but we don't have that much daylight, I suspect."

I think between H13 and Z13, maybe space them evenly? Love to have a pit trap between the other hills, but I don't think we have time to dig. Unless anyone knows expeditious excavation?

Creed
2013-02-27, 03:37 PM
Jones nods.
"My thoughts exactly. Figure I can spread the sand out just past the traps, might get a trace of where they're coming from in the morning."

stack
2013-02-27, 03:43 PM
Edom nods and starts deploying the beartraps, carefully concealing them as best he can with the brush at hand.

craft traps? [roll0] speeding it up as much as possible (taking 10, preferably, with aid anothers from some of the guards)

raspberrybadger
2013-02-27, 05:05 PM
Artok's eyes narrow at the bear traps, but then he nods and says, "If you could leave a gap just north of the path until the woodcutters get back, and warn them coming in."

By my count that takes 19 traps, leaving 6 left over. Just deploying bear traps shouldn't take much help. The off duty guard can bring you leaves for concealment from the wood burning operation, and it should take at most 30 seconds per trap to get them set up.

zlefin
2013-02-27, 07:08 PM
CORITH

Aye. I'll stand guard and warn the incoming that there's traps placed. Most important thing with traps is making sure our side doesn't trip them by accident. How big is the mine on the inside? And are there any other entrances to it?

I'm going to keep talking to artok for a bit; once that's done I'll assume a guard position to keep watch and warn people about the traps. But for now since the traps are being set the people setting them can alert anyone coming in.

raspberrybadger
2013-02-27, 08:09 PM
Artok replies, stroking his beard: "Of course there are other entrances, but they are both sealed and hidden. So they must go through the village to get to the mine. I should warn you, we have a few slight traps of our own in the mine. The tunnels perhaps run to a total of 900 feet with all the branches, and an enemy could easily get lost and wander into one of the exhausted branches. Those are trapped of course. Don't go down there without a guide."

WarBrute
2013-02-27, 08:13 PM
Dyra

"Greetings, Sister Kimmi. I am Dyra and this is Glyn, my companion." She gestures to the goat following behind her.

"I am here with he mercenary guild contracted to defend Iwam's people and investigate the troll problem. I am hoping you can help me gain a better understanding of the surrounding forest and where these trolls may be coming from."

raspberrybadger
2013-02-27, 09:17 PM
Kimi responds with a slightly didactic tone, "The deep forest is a 'do not go there' zone for most. Some of the animals are rather large, some of the trees fight back, and there's even a giant in there, though he's a faithful servant of Wisdom believe it or not. But most people would get torn to pieces out there. That has not hurt our efforts to convince woodcutters to adopt replanting measures in the forests closer in.

There is quite a bit of forest out there, and I do not pretend to know every nook and cranny. If they wanted to cram in, one of the dire bear caves would be perfect. I imagine trolls could drive out even a dire bear. I've never seen a troll, but I heard from out Torren way just what it took to kill one.

I will tell you this. The pixies or the griffons are likely to have seen more than I have. Not that either are in much danger from trolls, but you might be able to get information out of them. Griffons are likely to be nesting at the moment, which makes them extra cautious - so more likely to help if you can get them to talk in the first place."

zlefin
2013-02-28, 01:03 AM
CORITH

We'll have to talk with the warden when she gets back about what plans are in place. How sturdy are the stone buildings and their doors? What about the wooden ones? It sounds like the best chokepoint is the mine itself; if everyone was evacuated into the mine, then the trolls can only get in through one main entrance that isn't too big. Might be the easiest way to guard the staff; though not a good place for ranged supporting fire.

raspberrybadger
2013-02-28, 01:24 AM
Artok replies, a little defensively, his accent getting worse: "Putting the unarmed humans in the mine has long been our arrangement if a fight is come. With the troll threat, we made wood well soaked with oil. Put it in piles near the entrance. Light that when the trolls come, put two ranks of dwarves behind that, back rank with spears. Then get everyone who can hit a troll from a distance to hit from behind. Best we could do."

"You ask about the buildings. The smelting buildings, good dwarven craft. But doors are wide, weak. My house, no troll gets in that. Guard barracks, cheap construction. The food hall, too many doors, but all of quality construction, and possible to barricade them with a little warning. The wooden structures, delay a troll, not stop one."

stack
2013-02-28, 08:12 AM
(Later on, at dinner (not to rush, just to have something to post))

Discussing the plans and potential fortifications, Edom interjects, "Rather not be caught up in the mine, unless necessary. Prefer to keep mobile, myself. They make a good fall-back though. I think I may take to the stable roof to start matters, give me a good view of the trap line, but some hurt into them. Steep walls don't bother me much. Fire the building as I leave, in a pinch. Speaking of, hand me two of those alchemist fires."

Sniping from above the entrance using wall walker could be fun :smallbiggrin:

WarBrute
2013-02-28, 11:34 AM
Dyra

Dyra nods, "I'm sure the natives are just as upset about these Troll interlopers as we are. It will good to have some friends in such a dangerous place."

She continues, "I was also wondering what you thought about this camp's defenses? I am worried about civilians getting caught in the attack. Is there a safe place to conceal and defend the workers? Do we have any supplies to help injured we sustain casualties?"

Creed
2013-02-28, 01:55 PM
Now that the traps are set, Jones gets his cask of sand and rolls it down the path, a few yards past the trap line. He spreads it in a swath between the trees, leaving a smooth, clean line of sand that stretches the length of the north side of the encampment.
He rolls the cask back to the cart, placing it in the back, then angling the ballista to face the woods.
"Lookin' mighty fine," the old mercenary whispers to himself.

-----

Later that night, at dinner, Jones nods at Edom's tactical analysis of the mine, then downs a small glass of whiskey, not touching the food.
"Agreed. As much as I'd like to hold out in that mine, the collateral damage the trolls could cause to the town would be a pain to explain to our employer. Better to make our stand at the north woods, then fall back if need be."
He withdraws two alchemists fires and slides them across the table to Edom,
"So, about our strategy. It really depends on if we're going to see them come in a few at a time, or if there's just going to be a massive attack. If it's one or two, we can take them out while they're fumbling about with the bear traps. Stab 'em with the spears, stay out of reach of their claws, the old man pauses and sips some more whiskey "But if they all show up at once, we could have a right fight on our hands."

raspberrybadger
2013-02-28, 03:04 PM
"Marchfield, the priest here", Kimi says with a wave around the general area of the wisdom shrine through the door at the north end, "worked out with Artok how to get all his people into the mine if there's a fight. It's safe enough there. Some of the dwarves will be there with weapons too. Marchfield mostly handles the healing here, and I imagine he has supplies stockpiled."

"As for defence, the woodcutters and hunters all have slings or bows. Iwao here", she says nodding at the dwarf who is getting his third bowl of oatmeal, "will be sharing night watch with me, and he'll be guarding the entrance to the grove. I've got it set up so there's room for us to fire from up top the grove walls. The grove site is... well chosen, and hallowed. My spells aren't much, but they are more powerful there. If they get close, I can manage a little earth, and even some fire though it isn't what I'm used to. I'd have to light the place up so my people can see. Even so, we'd have to hope they are cowards, and run when they lose one or two. That was the plan - slow them up, set fire and arrows on one or two, hope they run, or it gets bad fast."

Kimi gives Dyra another searching look, then asks, "You're here now. What do I need to do, and what do I need to know about what you can do?"

stack
2013-02-28, 03:27 PM
The vials disappear into Edom's haversack. "Well, we can set up crossbowmen on the grove walls. Should be able to hit the trapline without any trouble. I can take the stables, like I said. Have the spearmen engage, then fall back between the buildings, protect their flanks. Things go south, melee holds the line to let the rest get to the mine, then falls back after them. Orderly like, no rout. I don't think you want them seeing your back. Dwarves can cover the withdraw into the mine proper, if it comes to that. Lets get some more wood, douse it in oil, make some nasty terrain for them to cross that we can light from a distance. Maybe between the buildings and trapline, that way we can divide them if needed, take pressure off the melee." He carries on, waving a spoon about and tracing his plan on the table before producing a small book and just sketching it out.

WarBrute
2013-02-28, 05:31 PM
"We're here to make sure that doesn't happen. Our plan is much like yours, to hold them at the north entrance, but we have more fire power. My friends have already began to lace the area with traps to slow the trolls approach."

Dyra, brushes a briad back over her shoulder, "I need you to pray and to remain brave in the face of this threat. People will turn to spiritual ones such as ourselves for guidance. If the trolls break through our front lines I need you to lead an orderly retreat to the mine. We can't have people running in fear. If you find injured get them to this priest Marchfield. Or to me if I'm available. The spirits of Wisdom have granted me the power to harm as well as heal. You will likely see this in the grove of wisdom tonight. I will be joining you on your night watch. Ah, my friends are here. Please excuse me."

Dyra sees the group come into the dinning hall to eat and walks over to them. She provides them with the information about the forest Kimi told her. "Naturally all of this only matters if we live through the troll attack. "

zlefin
2013-02-28, 08:28 PM
CORITH

Good plans all around. What's our sleep plan? Since the attacks seem more likely at night we should perhaps switch to sleeping in the day for a bit, at least partially? I can't sleep in full armour, and in case of attack donning may take time we don't have. I have light armour for sleeping in; but i'd have to focus more on defending myself.

Creed
2013-02-28, 08:48 PM
Jones looks to Corith and nods,
"As far as I can tell, we should sleep in two shifts, then rouse the others when the trolls show up. Since you can't get up and immediately be ready to go, you should go grab some sleep before nightfall. We'll get you up when it's time to switch. Who wants to take the first shift, from sundown til, say, midnight? I will, if either of you require some rest before we fight," the old man looks over at Dyra and Edom, pouring some additional water into his glass, sloshing it around to wash the whiskey off the sides.

stack
2013-02-28, 09:10 PM
Edom leans forward. "Though I might scout a bit, provide a picket. I can be hard to see when I want. Should give us a bit of warning before they arrive, give enough time to have a warm welcome prepared. After tonight I would prefer to be a bit more active in finding them, though. We should prepare defenses, of course, but I suspect things won't get better if we don't find the root."

zlefin
2013-03-01, 02:45 PM
CORITH

Corith nods in agreement to Jones.

I do as directed and agreed upon; sleep until sunfall when they wake me up. then stay on first watch.

WarBrute
2013-03-01, 08:55 PM
"I don't require any rest but I'll take the second shift." Dyra answers Jones, "I'll be taking my watch in the grove. It should provide a good field of vision of the northern forest. From there it should be easy to sound an alarm."

raspberrybadger
2013-03-02, 12:41 PM
Dinner ends, Fieldmarch leads some sort of worship service for the Mercy worshippers in town, and the town goes to bed. First watch ends without incident. Second watch is quiet for a while too, with clouds blanketing the earth, when Dyra sees a pair of ogres at the edge of her darkvision, walking in on the road from the west. Corith can't see them, both because of buildings and because at the moment, no lights (except perhaps his own) are lit. There are unlit torches at the doors of the dining hall, and the unlit bonfires, but for now the ogres are in darkness.

stack
2013-03-02, 04:33 PM
His scouting fruitless, Edom takes his turn resting, keeping his armor on and kit next to him.

WarBrute
2013-03-02, 06:20 PM
The half-orc narrows her eyes looking into the darkness. When she sees the two lumbering figures she slightly surprised, "Those aren't trolls... She whispers to herself. Then releasing even if they aren't trolls two ogres could still be serous trouble she turns to Kimmi and say "Kimmi! There are two ogres on the road coming from the west. Quickly, warn the woodcutters of trouble. I'm going to go wake my companions and meet the ogres head on at the road."

With that Dyra hops of the hedge while whispering in orcish. She gently lands and runs to where the guest barracks and the stables meet. When she reaches the wall of the barracks she shouts"Ogres! Ogres on the road!" She gives the wall of the barracks a loud knock for good measure.

Dyra activates feather fall with her fly hex.

And moves to P27

zlefin
2013-03-03, 04:54 PM
CORITH

"Two ogres? Ok, not a major threat; i'll move into position to interdict them. Resume the watch; I don't want the trolls coming in by surprise while we're dealing with these ogres; it could be a distraction. Two or three of us can handle them easily while the other and the wardens maintain watch."

Corith then moves toward where the road would come into the camp if the ogres follow it.

(OOC, since there are local warden guards, how many of them are on night watch?)

Creed
2013-03-03, 07:17 PM
Jones could feel the thick, iron-filled taste of blood in his mouth. Below him, through the thick pool of blood that had gathered around his head, he could feel coarse, cool stone, scratching at his cheek. Instinctively, the man knew the blood was not his own, but rather the result of the constant drip onto him from beyond a wooden ceiling. The door at the top of the stairs swung open.

"George! The butcher's awake! There's a Ogres! Ogres on the road!"

Jones snapped his eyes open, a sudden awareness pouring through him like water through a sieve. Ogres, attacking the mine. But where were the trolls?
It didn't matter.
The old man jumped up with vigor that did not match his age. He grabbed his chain shirt, throwing it over his clothes like a rag, before grabbing his vest of weapons. Drawing a pistol as he slipped the vest on, Jones stepped out of the barracks, ready for fighting.

stack
2013-03-04, 09:04 AM
Edom stands quickly from the trance that passes for sleep. He shoulders his haversack and draws his blade as he strides forth, momentarily focusing inward. The spiral tattoos that adorn his skin swirl and spread, leaving a scale-like pattern behind.

out of the barracks, manifest vigor, full augment (+30 temp HP for 6 minutes)

psionic focus - active energy fire, active type giant

raspberrybadger
2013-03-06, 01:01 AM
Kimi pulls on the cord going to the woodcutter's barracks, casts a Light spell on an arrow, and yells about there being more ogres on the road.

Iwao makes full dwarven speed running towards the grove entrance.

Dyra sees an ogre with a club and a javelin come to a stop at the gap between buildings.

Corith can't see anything really, but he's an experienced campaigner, so he makes it to the edge of the visitor's barracks without running into anything. It is dark out.

zlefin
2013-03-06, 03:49 AM
CORITH

Note: my ioun torch should be active unless a reason is determined why it wouldn't be (in ooc thread); if the torch is somehow not active then i'd activate it now instead of the other action I take now.
Corth will move to K39 if i'm reading thhis map correctly, which will block off that road reasonably well. I will ready an action to melee attack any ogre that approaches me in melee range. [how will readied actions work with group initiative, since it changes the init count?]

assuming I can see the ogre just fine from here: i will speak in common
Halt ogre. You are in the silverlode mine. State your purpose.

WarBrute
2013-03-07, 12:43 AM
Dyra

Dyra creeps between the buildings and slides a wand out of a skirt pocket. Just when she was about to give the ogre in front of her the headache of a life time she hears Corith speak. She bites her lip and pauses. Perhaps they're not hostile... But... She readies her wand. One aggressive move and he will get it.

Stealthily Move to N27 (Stealth check [roll0])
Ready to use Wand of Ear-Piercing Scream on ogre 4 if he moves towards Corith in an aggressive manner.

raspberrybadger
2013-03-07, 03:02 AM
Torre bursts out of her house with a longbow. She moves with deliberate haste towards the kitchen (O42), giving orders even as the guardsmen stumble out of their barracks with glaive-guisarmes they try to keep from tangling each other: "Line up across the road, two ranks, on the guy with a shield. Prepare to receive a charge!"

Two of the hunters seem to have a firing position on the top of their house. The other two are moving towards Torre, looking more than a little disorganized.

Woodsmen start pouring out of their barracks too, holding slings. Some have left their axes behind, and one is holding an axe not a sling.

Kimi puts an arrow with a light spell on it into the ground (T16)

Iwao continues his run towards the grove entrance.

Marchfield spends a few seconds getting civilians moving towards the mine, and trying to head off a panicked stampede. Artok comes out of his house, locks the door, and tries to help. He doesn't look to be naturally gifted at the task, but he's an authority figure who isn't showing any fear, so it may be better than nothing.

The two ogres nearest Corith make a lazy looking attempt to hit him with javelins, then draw their clubs. Corith is left unready for this attack. One of the javelins flies perfectly, right at his head. Even that is not enough - it deflects harmlessly off his helmet. That prompts a round of childish screaming in Giant from the thrower, and a curt reply from his neighbor:
"What? How? Head. Not hurt!" His neighbor wastes no time saying "Then club it. Trip, mash, it dies same as any human."

The ogre nearest Dyra does not move either. He drops his javelin, hefts his club, and whacks at Dyra. He has incredible, inhuman reach. As he moves, Dyra blasts at him to daze him, but he's too stubborn to do more than bleed from the ears a little (6 damage). Fortunately, his swing is entirely inept - she doesn't even have to get out of the way, and it misses her entirely.

Corith sees this, and and understands the implications of these things having reach.

One ogre moves east on the road towards towards the woodcutters barracks, or possibly the grove entrance. Another gets piled up behind the ogres on the road. Yet another ogre stops short and throws a javelin at Kimi, which misses. It yells in Giant: "Caster! Top trees, top hill!"

stack
2013-03-07, 08:22 AM
Edom focuses inward momentarily, then walks up the barrack's wall as casually as taking a summer stroll. "Give me a moment to get into position, thanks."

manifest wall walker 3 PP, move up to the roof (how tall is the building? he moves at 1/2 speed, so he can go 15' up or 10' up & 10 over, ending in O or P 35

info:Edom Blackhand (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=512320)
M LN Elan Cryptic, Level 6, Init +2, HP 72/42, Speed 30
AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +6, Base Attack Bonus 4, Power Points 11/26
+5 damage if branded disrupt pattern (ranged touch) +6 (3d6+11 (+3 bleed), x2)
MW, +5 damage if branded Rapier +5 (1d6, 18-20x2)
shortbow (20 arrows) +6 (1d8, x3)
mithral Chain Shirt +1, Buckler +1 (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 13, Cha 8
Condition None

zlefin
2013-03-07, 03:54 PM
CORITH

Corith steps forward slightly and adopts a defensive stance. Moving to K38 and fighting defensively (+3 dodge bonus).
Corith then taunts the ogres
Such weaklings as you could never hurt me! I laugh at your weapons.

Corith then laughs heartily.

Creed
2013-03-07, 08:30 PM
Jones looks to his left, seeing an ogre at the end of the pathway between buildings. He jogs down towards it, shooting a glance to his left, seeing Dyra facing several more ogres in the main road: near the ballista, in fact.
"A'right, you giant-kin scum! Come get some blood! Get back here behind me, girl!" the old man shouts, gesturing for Dyra to retreat down the gap.
He levels his pistol down the alley, pointing it over Dyra's shoulder at the ogre facing her, and fires, sending a ball whizzing down the way towards the hapless creature's skull.

Move to Q27
Attack O4 with my +2 Pistol at 25 ft, giving me a -2 for range increment.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

raspberrybadger
2013-03-08, 09:06 PM
Jones gets into position and gets off a good shot into the torso of the ogre. A little blood splashes out, but the ogre just gives a really nasty smile in return and pulls back its club for another swing at Dyra.

Edom makes his way onto the roof, reaching the point just before the top where he can see things on the other side.

Corith moves forward just a little, preparing his defence carefully.

Kimi chants and the Ogre closest to her stumbles.
Anyone with a Spellcraft 17 check (more information on a much higher result)
Soften earth and stone, Q-T 13-17

Most of guards get into position alongside Corith, bracing their weapons for a charge, while the rest stumble out of their barracks, looking confused.

More woodsmen come out too, holding slings. The woodsmen that were already there get into position and load slings. Except for the one with the axe, who is trying to look like he is ready.

The hunters fire on the ogres they can see, and Torre does twice. The ogre near Kimi takes two arrows, and Torre hits the one closest to Corith once.

Iwao continues his run

stack
2013-03-09, 11:42 AM
Could you re-post links to the map each round? Easier tan digging back through. Thanks.

Spellcraft [roll0]

Edom steps over the peak of the roof and stretches out his left had. Black spirals swirl across his skin, seeming to stretch out toward the nearest ogre.

move to N-35,
ranged touch for branding pattern (swift action), if hits +5 damage to all other hits this round
[roll1]

now ranged touch for binding, bleeding pattern (expending focus to make the spellcraft an auto-pass
[roll2]
damage is minimum for binding, so 14 base +3 bleed (ongoing) +5 if the brand hit, also entangled 5 rnds

Binding Pattern (Su)

A cryptic with this insight can cause creatures struck with her disrupt pattern ability to become entangled for a number of rounds equal to the cryptic’s Intelligence modifier, although the disrupt pattern damage is minimized (all dice rolls are treated as 1s). Entangled creatures can attempt to break free as a move action, making a Strength or Escape Artist check. The DC for this check is equal to the 10 + 1/2 the cryptic’s level + the cryptic’s Intelligence modifier (10+3+5=18).

status: Edom Blackhand (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=512320)
M LN Elan Cryptic, Level 6, Init +2, HP 72/42, Speed 30
AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +6, Base Attack Bonus 4, Power Points 11/26
+5 damage if branded disrupt pattern (ranged touch) +6 (3d6+11 (+3 bleed), x2)
MW, +5 damage if branded Rapier +5 (1d6, 18-20x2)
shortbow (20 arrows) +6 (1d8, x3)
mithral Chain Shirt +1, Buckler +1 (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 13, Cha 8
Condition None

WarBrute
2013-03-10, 02:37 PM
Dyra

Dyra filches at the sound of Jones' gun firing behind her and at the bullet at it goes whizzing past her.

"Yeah, let me get out of your way!" She calls back to Jones. She slams her left heel into the ground a shouts "Hedfa!" Suddenly, The halforc is floating above the earth. She propels her self 5 feet upwards away from the ogre's reaching club.

Actions:

Standard action: Activate Fly Hex
Move Action: 5-foot step upwards (That should put me out of the ogre's reach right?
59 rounds of flight left

Stat block

Dyra the Wanderer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=512056)
Female N Half-orc Witch, Level 6, Init +2, HP 35/35, Speed 30
AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +6, Base Attack Bonus 3
Quaterstaff +3 (1d4, x2)
Sling (20) +5 (1d4, x2)
Fire Wand of Buringing Hands (50) - (5d4, )
(+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 10, Cha 8
Condition None
Additional Notes: Flying hex active. 59 rounds of flight remain

raspberrybadger
2013-03-10, 06:12 PM
The ogre caught in Kimi's spell grunts, trying to make headway against the earth itself, and having only partial success. The ogre behind it tries to avoid the area of messed up earth, but instead runs into the line of bear traps just beyond. One of the bear traps fails to close on its tough hide, but the other gets a solid grab. The ogre strains and tries to free itself, but is unable.

The ogre closest to Dyra takes a swing at her, but her flight gets her out of its reach just in time.

The ogre closest to Corith walks up and angrily sweeps one of its giant legs under both of Corith's. Corith falls to the ground prone.

An ogre further back on the road throws a javelin at one of the guardsmen, missing him.

An ogre prevented by the bottleneck from reaching Corith instead pushes down a section of the visitor's barracks wall.

zlefin
2013-03-11, 01:30 AM
CORITH

Corith assumes a cautious posture and slowly rises. (first full defense; then move action to stand up from prone; I'll use my covering defense bonus to give the guard in J38 a +6 cover bonus to AC. My AC and CMD are 30 for the attack of opportunity when I stand up, and 34 after that).

Corith maintains a calm, cautious demeanor and speaks to the guards with him as he gets up.
These ogres are tough. I can hold this spot well with ranged support; holding chokepoints is my specialty. Some of you go make sure the others have melee cover, and watch for flanking attempts by more ogres.

stack
2013-03-11, 08:10 AM
Edom carefully steps away from the damaged section of wall, lancing another dark ray at the second ogre attacking his perch.

move action to gain focus
5' step to N34
target O2
brand (swift) touch [roll0] adds 5 damage
disrupt pattern (standard, ranged touch) using binding pattern & bleeding pattern [roll1], 14 damage (19 if brand hits), entangled 5 rounds, 3 bleed damage

Creed
2013-03-11, 02:14 PM
Jones sneers at the ogre in response, as Dyra floats backwards.
"Let's see how much ogre's bleed."
He switches pistols, a double-barreled pistol coming to his hands as he steps forward, confidently maneuvering under Dyra, firing both rounds in an explosion of gunpowder and shot.

Move to 027, under Dyra.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]

Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

This will either be a beautiful explosion of giblets, or will look ridiculous, depending on the rolls.

raspberrybadger
2013-03-12, 05:55 PM
Edom entangles the ogre facing Corith, which finds itself mysteriously unable to move dextrously.

Corith stands up, drawing a powerful strike from the ogre which he easily deflects with his shield.

Jones blasts away hitting his target twice, one of the shots going straight through the ogre's hide armor due to the short range.

The woodsmen get three sling bullets into the ogre nearest them, and the hunter standing with them also gets an arrow into the thing. This only angers it, but Kimi is able to stop it's advance by speaking a single word in Giant.

The archers nearby shoot the ogre closest to Corith to death - one of the arrows goes into the brain.

The guardsmen standing by Corith brace again for the charge of the next ogre.

Artok is mostly finished with the evacuation of civilians, with only a few stragglers left. Marchfield leaves him to the work, and moves towards the fight.

WarBrute
2013-03-12, 07:04 PM
Dyra

Dyra flies upward above the rooftops and towards the ogres. She pulls a second wand from her skirt pocket. She circles her left hand with the wand and mutters "Llogsi." Her hands suddenly come alight with fire. She turns them towards the ogres and the fire shoots out and washes over them.

Actions

Okay, I'm trying to visualize this in my head so bear with me

Move: Dyra flies 15 feet upwards and 20 feet over to square K27 Her elevation should now be 20 feet

Standard:Activates Wand of Burning Hands (15ft-cone) downwards and to the left (So not to hit the wood buildings) This should hit both Ogre 4 and 5 (I think)

Damage for Ogre 4
[roll0]

Damage for Ogre 5
[roll1]

DC 11 reflex save halves damage

Okay, does that all work out so Dyra remains out side of the Ogres' reach and hit them with out burning the stables down?

Stat Block

Quaterstaff +3 (1d4, x2)
Sling (20) +5 (1d4, x2)
Condition None
Additional Notes: Flying hex active. 58 rounds of flight remain

raspberrybadger
2013-03-13, 01:02 AM
Ogre #4 manages to keep most of himself out of the flames, but Ogre #5 takes a direct hit, suffering severe burns.

In return, the two ogres throw javelins at Dyra, but they miss, one of them rather badly.

The ogre closest to Corith charges one of the guardsmen, who looks shocked when his studded jerkin takes the force of a glancing club blow to his chest. He flubs his attempt at punishing the charge, but the guy to Corith's left manages a hit, though it does about as little damage as it could with all that force from the charging ogre.

The trapped ogre throws a javelin at Kimi, which doesn't even get as high as she is. The ogre she bespelled moves up the hill and tries to climb the hedge without success.

Jones and Corith get to act. Edom has already posted this round's action.

zlefin
2013-03-13, 05:36 AM
CORITH

Corith inches forward and starts slashing at the ogre near him, with the calm determination of a battle hardened warrior on his face.
[5-foot step to K37; full attack on the ogre next to me]

First attack: [roll0]
damage if hits: [roll1]

Second attack: [roll2]
damage on 2nd attack if hit: [roll3]

Creed
2013-03-13, 02:22 PM
Jones switches his pistols again, taking out the first pistol and quickly reloading it, staring down the ogre in front of him.

Switch back to the +2 Pistol
RELOAD!

raspberrybadger
2013-03-17, 06:21 PM
Jones reloads, Edom entangles the ogre by Corith, and Corith manages two workmanlike slices into the ogre.

The guardsmen near Corith manage one hit between them, which drops the ogre to the ground, swiftly bleeding to death.

Iwao takes up a defensive stance outside the grove.

The slingers manage to hit the ogre by the grove only twice, once in the face. None of the archers manage to hit anything.

Marchfield moves closer to the fight and casts Bless, catching Corith in the area of effect.

WarBrute
2013-03-17, 10:27 PM
Dyra (it is Dyra's turn right? Maybe you should call for players after each post)

Dyra sees the Orge by Corith fall. Things appear to be going well on here, but the noise of combat by the hedge worries her. She looks down at the Orge's below her. She stretches her hand out and whispers,"Gwsg.."

She then flies away towards the hedge calling out to Jones, "I have to help Kimmi! I'm sure you can handle a couple of singed ogres!"

Actions

Standard: Activate Hex Slumber on Ogre 5
Ogre 5 is in a Magical Sleep (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sleep) for 6 rounds. DC 17 will save negates.

Move: Flies to R21

Stat Block

Quaterstaff +3 (1d4, x2)
Sling (20) +5 (1d4, x2)
Condition None
Additional Notes: Flying hex active. 57 rounds of flight remain

raspberrybadger
2013-03-19, 11:39 AM
Dyra is able to enforce her will on the ogre, who falls asleep.

The ogre next to it charges at Corith, getting past his defence only to be stopped by Corith's heavy armor.

The ogre caught in the bear traps begins a crazed attack on the chain holding him fast, though he is still caught.

The ogre by the grove takes a swing at Iwao, who was waiting for exactly that and dodges.

Four more ogres rush out of the darkness from the south. Two attack the three guards holding the gap between barracks and kitchen. One guard goes down in a spray of his own blood, and the other stands there in shock, but his studded leather manages to turn aside the full force of the ogre's club.

Marchfield is attacked by a pair of ogres, who drop him to the ground with a pair of vicious swings.

stack
2013-03-19, 12:09 PM
"Corinth, you got this one?" Edom calls down from the roof. not waiting for a reply, he darts south to lend Marchfield what aid he can, lancing a black ray toward the nearer ogre. move to O-39, swift to brand and standard for entangling disrupt pattern on O8
[roll0] vs touch to add 5 to further attacks
[roll1] vs touch, 14 damage, entangled

O4 should be bleeding still

Why are we having Dyra's actions posted separate from the rest? I though we were using group initiative.

zlefin
2013-03-20, 01:05 AM
Corith

Aye, I can finish this one easily. Guards, go cover the withdraw of the wounded; I'll clear this ogre out then join you, we use this chokepoint for cover from the ogres to the south. And stab the one on the ground a couple times to make sure it's dead.

Corith then steps forth and hacks away at the close ogre.
5-foot step to K36; full attack.

strike 1
[roll0]
[roll1]
strike 2
[roll2]
[roll3]

Creed
2013-03-22, 12:13 PM
Morgan points his newly reloaded pistol at the creature ahead of him, and unleashes another burst of smoke, fire, and lead, sending the shot flying towards it once again.

Attack 04 with +2 Pistol

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

raspberrybadger
2013-03-22, 11:19 PM
Corith and Jones drop the ogre near them - it is bleeding to death rapidly.

Edom rips apart and entangles the ogre on the east end of the new line of ogres.

Torre shouts "Turn and fire, starting from the left."

One guard starts dragging his dying companion away from the fight. The one next to him stays in place, trying to take a defensive stance. Another one grabs Marchfield, ready to drag him too. Others stab fallen ogres.

The archers miss the entangled ogre.

The slingers and Iwao manage to down the ogre by them.

Kimi jumps down from the hedge wall, shrugging off the injury as she runs towards the injured.

The trapped ogre continues to beat on his chain.

The sleeping ogre sleeps some more.

The line of ogres advances and drops two more guards.

zlefin
2013-03-24, 12:29 AM
Corith

Corith moves to engage the large pack of ogres crushing the southern flank.

Move to K44; no other actions.

stack
2013-03-25, 07:52 AM
Edom lances another dark ray at the nearest ogre. "There is no shortage of them, that is certain."

attacking O8
brand
ranged touch [roll0] +5 to subsequent attacks
disrupt pattern [roll1] vs touch
damage [roll2] + 3 bleed
regaining focus before attacking, then spending it to auto-pass non-detection DC

from OOC:
confirm crit (1d20+6)[18]
damage (1d6+16)[22] (includes brand, since I'm sure 15 hit touch)

WarBrute
2013-03-25, 11:55 AM
Dyra

Just as she arrives to help Kimmi the Orge goes down, "Or maybe she doesn't need help after all..." Dyra mumbles to herself. That is when she hears the sound of more fighting to the south and sees Kimmi run off. With the other Orge safely trapped for now Drya turns and flies as fast as she can to the south.

Actions

Full round action- "run"

Fly from R21 to M40

Stat Block

Quaterstaff +3 (1d4, x2)
Sling (20) +5 (1d4, x2)
Condition None
Additional Notes: Flying hex active. 56 rounds of flight remain

Creed
2013-03-25, 04:28 PM
Jones reloads his pistol, scanning the area for additional targets.

Reload +2 Pistol

raspberrybadger
2013-03-26, 12:22 AM
Corith and Dyra move, while Jones reloads. Edom disrupts the patterns keeping the nearest ogre alive.

Two guards by the ogres withdraw at all possible speed back to the other guards. One of them has to drop an injured man, but he looks more afraid than guilty. The guard trapped against the wall shakes with fear, but he keeps his weapon in a defensive stance.

Some of the woodsmen open fire on the trapped ogre, as does the hunter nearby. One of the woodsmen manages a hit, as does the hunter.

The other woodsmen move towards the southern fight, as do the two hunters who had been on a roof.

Torre manages to get an arrow into the leftmost remaining ogre, while the hunter next to her misses entirely.

Kimi moves towards the injured in a determined way.

The guard in a defensive stance gets pounded right in the chest, and he falls to the ground like a dead tree.

Two ogres flank Corith and beat uselessly on his armor. For a moment they look satisfied at pulling off a flawless double attack. Then they see that he is unharmed, and yell something incomprehensible possibly even to them.

The trapped ogre frees himself from the chain finally and moves out of the light.

stack
2013-03-26, 07:59 AM
"Watch your back, Corinth, let me give you a hand. They're going to get bored bruising their hands on your shield." Edom jests as he lances another ogre with a black ray, trying to lighten the night despite the grim surroundings.

attacking O7
brand
ranged touch [roll0] +5 to subsequent attacks
disrupt pattern [roll1] vs touch
damage [roll2]+ 3 bleed
regaining focus before attacking, then spending it to auto-pass non-detection DC

zlefin
2013-03-26, 09:09 AM
CORITH

Stay safe in tight formation. Keep an eye out for more incoming. Healers and medics be ready to treat the wounded as soon as its safe.

5 foot step to L43.

Full attack; hitting ogre 7 as long as it's standing then ogre 0 if 7 drops;

strike 1
[roll0]
[roll1]

strike 2
[roll2]
[roll3]

WarBrute
2013-03-26, 10:46 AM
Dyra

Dyra flies over the battle towards the two guards pinned between the mess hall and the Ogre. But first she has to make it safe for her to land. She opens her hand to the Orge below and whispers "Gwsg."

Actions

Move Action- Fly to G45

Standard Action- Use Slumber Hex on Ogre 9. Sleep of 6 rounds, DC 17 Will save Negates

Stat Block

Quaterstaff +3 (1d4, x2)
Sling (20) +5 (1d4, x2)
Condition None
Additional Notes: Flying hex active. 55 rounds of flight remain

Creed
2013-03-26, 02:55 PM
Jones runs down the road, towards the enemy near the visitor's barracks. He glances around, trying to find an angle, but can't get a clear shot through the fray.

Move to K36