PDA

View Full Version : Snow Crash

Lentrax
2013-02-19, 04:04 PM
Okay, so I am working on a homebrew setting for Cyberpunk 2020, and I am planning on setting it in the World of the novel Snow Crash.

And it got me thinking, do I really need to change anything? I mean all the classes are in the book in some from or another. From Vitaly Chernobyl as a Rockerboy, to Hiro Protagonist as a Netrunner/Solo. Its all in there.

Anyway, I was wondering what kind of rules I should have for Corporations and FOQNEs.

I plan on making a large chart for my players detailing some of the Corps, and how they relate to the various nations that compose Southern California, Like Cosa Nostra PIzza being part of Nova Sicilia, and how the Metacops enforce law on some of the national entities like The Muse at Windsor Heights.

But here is where I am asking for a little help. I need a couple more smaller Corporations and FOQNEs, as well as some flavor for them. Things like what nation they represent, who does thier security, any treaties they may have... etc.

Thanks!

Dr Bwaa
2013-02-19, 04:50 PM
Oh man; sounds fun. I don't know anything about Cyberpunk2020 but maybe I'll think of some Corps/etc to throw at you.

Grinner
2013-02-19, 05:41 PM
Pizza Delivery Boy. You NEED a Pizza Delivery Boy class.

Dr Bwaa
2013-02-19, 06:19 PM
Pizza Delivery Boy. You NEED a Pizza Delivery Boy class.

You know full well that "Pizza Delivery Boy" is not the job title. :smallbiggrin:

Lentrax
2013-02-20, 03:14 AM
The Deliverator.

His special skill would probably be something for road mastery. His detailed knowledge of road systems gives him bonuses for getting to various locations quickly and easily.

Rhynn
2013-02-20, 04:11 AM
CP2020 already has several vehicle-based classes (not the Nomad, who has no actual special facility for vehicles)...

Also this is pretty much a perfect use of CP2020, and Neal Stephenson's cyberpunk is easily weirder and cooler than Gibson's.

Lentrax
2013-02-20, 02:21 PM
So, there are a couple of roles I am making for what I am deciding to call the Three Ring Binder:

Deliverators, Kouriers, Hackers.

I know CP already has netrunners, but hackers are going to be sort of like defense contractors.

The way I figure it: you're a Hacker, or a 'Runner. The hackers write the code for things like Data Fortresses, and the Runners are the folks that break down the walls.
Thoughts?

Rhynn
2013-02-20, 03:13 PM
The way I figure it: you're a Hacker, or a 'Runner. The hackers write the code for things like Data Fortresses, and the Runners are the folks that break down the walls.
Thoughts?

Do you need different archetypes for them? Usually, a CP2020 archetype is defined by having a Special Ability all of its own (for instance, all the gazillion Solo variants have a version of Combat Sense that works half as well for Initiative and Notice, but also adds a 50% bonus to some other skills or situations).

How would a Hacker's Special Ability differ from a Netrunner? (I do approve of the term, though, since Hacker doesn't mean Cracker.)

Lentrax
2013-02-20, 04:12 PM
I think it is needed.

If only from a flavor standpoint. I may just rename a couple of the other archetypes, and write a short story for them.

As to the hacker/netrunner thing: I kinda see it like this:

The hacker is the guy who works for a Corp, coding his software and maintaining network Data Fortresses. He gets a bonus to defensive codes.

The netrunner is the Punk who tries to break in. His bonus would be for more offensive codes.

Most of this really is only for flavor, and I suppose technically not necessary, but its something I want to do.