PDA

View Full Version : The advantage of avoiding hardness?

silverwolfer
2013-02-19, 06:48 PM
If am running around with a weapon that avoids hardness, is it good for anything besides chopping up objects faster?

Acanous
2013-02-19, 06:50 PM
Sundering is the main advantage there, and the ability to break through Wall of X conjurations. That's about it, really- though the argument can be made that it should ignore DR on Constructs.

ericgrau
2013-02-19, 07:07 PM
Well don't forget that walls and doors are objects too. You'll get past the whole dungeon.

If you can get some kind of continuous arcane sight it can tell you what to sunder and what's treasure. At high levels you might even sunder the weak auras.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-19, 07:25 PM
ki strike (adamantine) and greater mighty wallop is actually pretty useful. I've got my str 12 epic monk making doorways with her forehead. Similarly, I hear out of combat mountain hammer is very useful for stronghold redesign.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-19, 07:32 PM
Beat the stuffing out of Animated Objects.

Get through doors, Star Wars style.

If doors or other environmental objects are made of any fancy metals like Adamantium, hack those off with ease. Same goes for valuable statues.

Miners would pay a fortune for such a device. You could lease it to them.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-02-19, 07:35 PM
Beat the stuffing out of Animated Objects.

A few other monsters have hardness... only one I can think of would be, maybe, awakened trees? The hand created by the earthen grasp spell also has hardness.

Not very many uses against monsters, but it might come up sometimes!

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-19, 07:37 PM
A few other monsters have hardness... only one I can think of would be, maybe, awakened trees? The hand created by the earthen grasp spell also has hardness.

Not very many uses against monsters, but it might come up sometimes!

I think um, I don't think they changed caryatid columns from Fiend Folio to have normal DR and not hardness in the 3.5 update. One of my favorite constructs of old, though it was moderately cooler in 2e, IIRC.

Ravenica
2013-02-19, 07:48 PM
I think um, I don't think they changed caryatid columns from Fiend Folio to have normal DR and not hardness in the 3.5 update. One of my favorite constructs of old, though it was moderately cooler in 2e, IIRC.

it was updated to perfect DR 5 in Bestiary 3

Psyren
2013-02-19, 07:51 PM
Psicrystals are a monster with hardness as well

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-19, 07:52 PM
it was updated to perfect DR 5 in Bestiary 3

So that is better, interesting...switching it to DR/adamantine would make more sense.... Eh, w/e. I'm starting to get over the "making sense" issue I have with WotC material.

Ravenica
2013-02-19, 07:56 PM
So that is better, interesting...switching it to DR/adamantine would make more sense.... Eh, w/e. I'm starting to get over the "making sense" issue I have with WotC material.

Heh Bestiary 3 is Paizo, so it's the pathfinder equivalent heh... That being said DR/Adamantine in pathfinder is beaten by +4 weapons as well as Adamantine so it is WAY better...

wasn't thinking system variance I was just thinking that it had been updated in Bestiary 3 from our version of fiend folio lol....