PDA

View Full Version : Urbane Savant Base Class 3.5 D&D (PEACH

Batpope Scott
2013-02-19, 08:25 PM
The Urbane Savant is my solution to things like spell-thief or beguiler, which don't quite fit the rogue-ish feel for me perfectly. This was intended to combine some of the good things I liked about acrobatic classes like ninja or thief-acrobat, while providing some magical tricks.

If the class is too powerful compared to other base classes of it's type, please do tell me. I have quite a few reservations about the spell lists I used.

Urbane Savant_____________________________Spells Per Day
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th

1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Poison Use, Sudden Strike+1d6|1|—|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Masterful Acrobatics, Evasion|2|—|—|—|—

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Spell Flourish, Combat Expertise|3|—|—|—|—

4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Armored Ease 1, Great Leap, Uncanny Dodge|4|—|—|—|—

5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Sudden Strike +2d6, Assassin Arts +2|4|1|—|—|—

6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Improved Feint, Quick Poison|4|2|—|—|—

7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Savant's Expertise, Quick Cast 2/day|4|3|—|—|—

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Armored Ease 2, Mystic Distraction|4|3|1|—|—

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Quick Feinting, Sudden Strike+3d6|4|4|2|—|—

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Improved Uncanny Dodge, Acrobatic Confidence|4|4|3|—|—

11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+3|Assassin Arts +4|4|4|3|1|—

12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Improved Evasion, Armored Ease 3|4|4|4|2|—

13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Sudden Strike +4d6|4|4|4|3|—

14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+4|Quick Cast 3/day|5|4|4|3|1

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+5|Hide in Plain Sight|5|4|4|4|2

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Armored Ease 4|5|4|4|4|3

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Go to Ground, Sudden Strike +5d6|5|5|4|4|3

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Nonexistent Man|5|5|5|4|4

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Assassin Arts +6|5|5|5|5|4

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Master of his Trade, Armored Ease 5|5|5|5|5|5

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills:
Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Concentration, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge(Arcana), Knowledge(Local), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device, Use Rope
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) Χ 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Features
Weapons and Armor Proficiency: The Urbane Savant is proficient with all simple weapons plus the Hand Crossbow, Rapier, Shortbow, Short Sword, and Whip. Urbane Savants are proficient with light armor but not with shields.

Because the somatic components required for Urbane Savant spells are relatively simple, an Urbane Savant can cast spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like any other arcane spellcaster, an Urbane Savant wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component (most do). A multiclass Urbane Savant still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes.
Spells Known
{table]Level|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th

1st|1|—|—|—|—

2nd|2|—|—|—|—

3rd|2|—|—|—|—

4th|3|—|—|—|—

5th|3|1|—|—|—

6th|3|2|—|—|—

7th|3|2|—|—|—

8th|3|3|1|—|—

9th|3|3|2|—|—

10th|3|3|2|—|—

11th|3|3|3|1|—

12th|3|3|3|2|—

13th|3|3|3|2|—

14th|3|3|3|3|1

15th|4|3|3|3|2

16th|4|3|3|3|2

17th|4|3|3|3|3

18th|4|4|3|3|3

19th|4|4|4|3|3

20th|4|4|4|4|3

[/table]
Spells: An Urbane Savant casts arcane spells which are drawn from the bard spell list. An Urbane Savant can cast spells without preparing them like a wizard or cleric must.

To learn or cast spells an Urbane Savant must have a Charisma score equal to 10+ the spell level. The DC for an Urbane Savant spell is 10+Spell Level+Charisma Modifier.

Upon reaching fifth level, the Urbane Soul can swap out one spell he knows that is one level lower than the highest level the Urbane Savant can cast. The new spell's level must be the same as the one traded away. The Urbane Soul may trade one spell in this way every time he gains a level.

Poison Use: An Urbane Savant does not run the risk of poisoning himself when applying poison to a weapon.

Sudden Strike:If an Urbane Savant can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage. Whenever a savants’s target is denied a Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), the savant deals an extra 1d6 points of damage with his attack. This extra damage increases by 1d6 points for every four urbane savant levels thereafter (5th,9th,13th, and 17th). A savant can’t use sudden strike when flanking an opponent unless that opponent is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC.
This damage also applies to ranged attacks against targets up to 30 feet away. Creatures with concealment, creatures without discernible anatomies, and creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits are all immune to sudden strikes. An urbane savant can’t make a sudden strike while striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are out of reach.
A savant can’t use sudden strike to deliver nonlethal damage. Weapons capable of dealing only nonlethal damage don’t deal extra damage when used as part of a sudden strike.
The extra damage from the sudden strike ability stacks with the extra damage from sneak attack whenever both would apply to the same target.

Evasion:At 2nd level and higher, an urbane savant can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save (such as a red dragon's fiery breath or a fireball), he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the urbane savant is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless urbane savant (such as one who is unconscious or paralyzed) does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Masterful Acrobatics: The urbane savant gains a +1 bonus per class level on the skills Balance, Jump, and Tumble.

Spell Flourish(Su): An urbane savant can channel arcane energy into a weapon, unarmed strike or natural weapon. By activating the ability as a free action, the urbane savant gives up a spell and gains a bonus on attack rolls equal to the spell level of the sacrificed spell for one round. Additionally, any attacks made in the round of the effect gain a damage bonus of 1d6 per level of the spell.

Combat Expertise: The urbane savant gains combat expertise as a bonus feat at 3rd level.

Armored Ease: An urbane savant learns to adapt his movements to the restrictive nature of armor. Beginning at 4th level, he reduces the armor check penalty of any armor with which he is proficient by 1 (to a minimum of 0). At 8th level and every fourth level thereafter(12th,16th,20th) the reduction increases by 1 (to a minimum of 0).

Great Leap: At 4th level and higher, an urbane savant always makes Jump checks as if he were running and had the Run feat, enabling him to make long jumps without a running start and granting a +4 bonus on the jump (see the skill description, page 77 of the Player’s Handbook). This ability can be used only if he is wearing light armor and is carrying no more than a light load.

Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 4th level, an urbane savant can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
If an urbane savant already has uncanny dodge from a different class (an urbane savant with at least two levels of barbarian, for example), he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Assassin Arts: At fifth level the urbane savant broadens his knowledge into the spells used by assassins and the spell list is open to take spells from.

Additionally, the urbane savant gains a +2 bonus on Hide and Move Silently when in a shadowy area. This bonus increases by two at level 11 and 19.

Improved Feint: The urbane savant gains Improved Feint as a bonus feat at sixth level.

Quick Poison: The urbane savant can apply poison to a weapon as a move action. At eleventh level, an urbane savant can apply poison as a swift action.

Savant's Expertise: When an urbane savant of 7th level or higher uses combat expertise he gains a bonus equal to the penalty taken on his next concentration check to cast defensively.

Quick Cast: At seventh level the urbane savant gains the ability to cast any spell as if he had applied the quicken spell metamagic feat twice per day without increasing casting time or spell level. At 14th level the quick cast ability can be used three times per day.

Mystic Distraction(Su): An 8th level urbane soul can give up a single spell to distract an opponent. When this ability is used, the urbane savant gives up a spell to make the opponent flat-footed against all of the urbane savant's attacks for a single round. The enemy to be affected is subject to a will save DC 11+Spell Level+Charisma modifier.

Quick Feinting: A ninth level urbane soul can feint as a swift action instead of a move action.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: An urbane savant of 10th level or higher can no longer be flanked; he can react to opponents on opposite sides of him as easily as he can react to a single attacker. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has levels in urbane savant.

Acrobatic Confidence: The urbane soul can take 10 on Balance, Jump and Tumble even in situations where that would normally be impossible.

Improved Evasion: This ability works like evasion, except that while the urbane savant still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks such as a dragon's breath weapon or a fireball, henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless urbane savant (such as one who is unconscious or paralyzed) does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Hide in Plain Sight(Su): The urbane savant can hide in an area of shadow illumination, even when he would otherwise be unable to do so. This ability doesn't work if the urbane savant is currently being watched by an entity as he is trying to hide.

Go to Ground: An urbane savant of 17th level leaves behind no tracks, and cannot be tracked by scent.

Nonexistent Man: The 18th level urbane savant has a permanent nondetection effect as the spell with a caster level equal to his class level. The spell functions as if he had cast it upon himself, but does not need to be activated and has a permanent duration. The urbane savant can will this ability to stop functioning for a time, but can reactivate it as a free action.

Master of His Trade: The urbane savant can hide even while being observed. The urbane savant can thwart even creatures who can see the unseen. Blindsense and Blindsight do not automatically detect the urbane savant, and a creature with true seeing must make a caster level check DC 15+Urbane Savant level to be able to see through any illusion spells cast by the urbane savant.

EdroGrimshell
2013-02-20, 01:08 AM
I can only say one thing here: Wow.

I can see a lot of potential in this class, a number of the features are perfect for the theme and provide a lot of flavor to the class as a whole. However, there are two things that really end up bugging me about this class the most, well, three actually.

1) The Capstone: This is a very weak ability to have as the 20th level ability, I mean, it's an improved version of camouflage, not really all that spectacular. However, you only need to build on it a little, you don't really need to replace it. It's just a little lackluster.

2) Mystic Distraction: I get the idea behind the feature and actually like the idea, but, it is broken, i mean, well and truly broken. Flat-footed against all attacks for a number of rounds equal to the level of spell used! That's MASSIVE. Have a rogue with ya and you can kill anything in a few rounds without even trying, and if the rogue can use touch spells you'll ruin any monster you come across. Bring it down to one round against attacks by your character and give it a save otherwise it's just too open for cheese

3) Sudden Strike: Every instance I have seen of this feature has had it progress in a linear fashion, usually every X levels. Not doing so doesn't really take much away from the class, but it does break tradition and doesn't make the class broken at all by giving it a linear progression. I'd personally go with every 4 levels because this class has spells and Arcane Flourish to help catch up on lost damage. If you're just filling dead levels, I'd say leave them as dead levels or give another ability like Uncanny Dodge, which you are surprisingly lacking.

Otherwise, like i said, this class has some potential and could end up extremely good at what it's meant to do.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-20, 11:13 AM
The capstone was something I thought was big, but I suppose it's only a big thing earlier on now that I think about it.
EDIT: I gave Master of his Trade a power boost. It's improving on the base idea in a more extreme way. I hope I didn't go too far.

I'll change mystic distraction. I see your point entirely, though it already had a save.

The sudden strike was actually supposed to pop up at the levels that a wizard gets bonus feats, with the arcane flourish giving the other amount of bonus damage. Used together with a more regular progression the damage would surpass the rogues sneak attack at high levels, which I'm not sure is a good idea. EDIT: On second thought, one more sudden strike die really wouldn't hurt the class any. I'll add them in and uncanny dodge if a dead level crops up.

EDIT 2: Thank you for mentioning the sudden strike. I apparently didn't notice that my sudden strike didn't continue past 10. I feel really silly now. :smallredface:

Uncanny Dodge was something I kept thinking about but never got around to throwing in somewhere. :smallconfused:

I can only say one thing here: Wow.

I can see a lot of potential in this class, a number of the features are perfect for the theme and provide a lot of flavor to the class as a whole. However, there are two things that really end up bugging me about this class the most, well, three actually.

1) The Capstone: This is a very weak ability to have as the 20th level ability, I mean, it's an improved version of camouflage, not really all that spectacular. However, you only need to build on it a little, you don't really need to replace it. It's just a little lackluster.

2) Mystic Distraction: I get the idea behind the feature and actually like the idea, but, it is broken, i mean, well and truly broken. Flat-footed against all attacks for a number of rounds equal to the level of spell used! That's MASSIVE. Have a rogue with ya and you can kill anything in a few rounds without even trying, and if the rogue can use touch spells you'll ruin any monster you come across. Bring it down to one round against attacks by your character and give it a save otherwise it's just too open for cheese

3) Sudden Strike: Every instance I have seen of this feature has had it progress in a linear fashion, usually every X levels. Not doing so doesn't really take much away from the class, but it does break tradition and doesn't make the class broken at all by giving it a linear progression. I'd personally go with every 4 levels because this class has spells and Arcane Flourish to help catch up on lost damage. If you're just filling dead levels, I'd say leave them as dead levels or give another ability like Uncanny Dodge, which you are surprisingly lacking.

Otherwise, like i said, this class has some potential and could end up extremely good at what it's meant to do.

EdroGrimshell
2013-02-20, 12:05 PM
The sudden strike was actually supposed to pop up at the levels that a wizard gets bonus feats, with the arcane flourish giving the other amount of bonus damage. Used together with a more regular progression the damage would surpass the rogues sneak attack at high levels, which I'm not sure is a good idea. EDIT: On second thought, one more sudden strike die really wouldn't hurt the class any. I'll add them in and uncanny dodge if a dead level crops up.

I meant 1st level and every 4 levels after... 1st, 5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th. Not 1st and every 4 levels (1st, 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th). It's meant to give you the +5d6 before 20th level comes around.

SamBurke
2013-02-20, 12:26 PM
If you're looking for a balance point, I'd examine Pathfinder's Magus class. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus) That may give you some clarification.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-20, 12:38 PM
Oh, my bad. That does sound better that way, I was curious about the way I thought you said.

If you're looking for a balance point, I'd examine Pathfinder's Magus class. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus) That may give you some clarification.

The magus class is a good example for the magic, but it's focus seems to be actually casting the spells to their effect for combat where this one has very few good damaging spells. Balance comparison leaves me a little confused there.

Is the capstone too much? I was thinking that being able to fool blindsight was a little too far considering the creatures that can't see you otherwise. Which... that list is oozes and grimlocks I think...

EdroGrimshell
2013-02-20, 03:21 PM
Is the capstone too much? I was thinking that being able to fool blindsight was a little too far considering the creatures that can't see you otherwise. Which... that list is oozes and grimlocks I think...

The Darkstalker feat lets you do that for a feat with no prerequisites. It's in Lords of Madness

Batpope Scott
2013-02-20, 04:37 PM
The Darkstalker feat lets you do that for a feat with no prerequisites. It's in Lords of Madness

Really? That's not one of my books so I haven't seen it. That's kinda nasty for a feat.