PDA

View Full Version : Quick PF question

Harugami
2013-02-19, 09:30 PM
This is regarding what I read on here weeks ago I cant seem to find it now but someone mentioned that all classes have initial "packages" that archetypes replace partially or wholly. Like all regular bard start with the spell package and the performance package which are replaced when choosing an archetype. I cant find this thread or even a smidgen of information on this now, all I remember is it was a little box on the side of one of the srd pages.

If anyone can link the thread for me or pm it to me or link me the actually page that would be nice, thank you.

Edit: Found and bookmarked it please delete this

Dissonance
2013-02-19, 09:53 PM
I don't know where the pages are that you are looking for, but I could try to recreate the disscussion.

To vary it out and let people tailor what they want to play, pathfinder included archetypes for the classes. The result being less than 20 classes with a bunch of different archetypes instead of 3.5s massive list of classes available.

How it works is easy enough to understand. Each class starts with a list of class features, these can range from the bardic preformance to the well known sneak attack and everything in between. Archetypes take thise "base" class features and replace, enhance, or outright remove some of them. It then switches it out for a more customized package of things.

For example, the spellslinger (wizard) archetype gets the ability to use guns, gain gunsmithing, cast spells through guns, and temp enhance the guns, which can then be used to boost the DCs of any spell cast through them. In return, the spellslinger archetype loses part of the wizard's normal features. Such as cantrips, scribe scroll, arcane bond, and must choose an additional two opposing schools. Each new feature replaces or removes an original feature.

Furthermore, if two different archetypes replace a completely different set of features for a single class, BOTH archetypes can be chosen. let's say a theoretical archetype changed the rogue's sneak attack and only did that. The rogue can then take another archetype that changes his evasion class feature.

They are for customizing your character and add mechanical benefits for wanting to play a certain way. Otherwise playing that barbarian that hefts a super massive -6 size penalty weapon wouldn't be that effective and would just be a style and fluff choice. Archetypes make that into a very real (and cool) way to play.

Harugami
2013-02-19, 09:54 PM
this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270198) entire sidebar this was what I was looking for