PDA

View Full Version : What would a Beholder do with a wish?

yougi
2013-02-19, 09:33 PM
Last week, my PCs found the head of the Thieves' Guild they're trying to put down was a Beholder. They realized that in the usual way people find out there's a Beholder somewhere, especially when they didn't know what beholders are capable off: they flew to it, fell down as their Boots of Flying and Overland Flight spells stopped working, and the bard got disintegrated. The party flew, the Bard's player rerolled, and they're going back.

Now the interesting part is that the Bard in question had a Ring of 3 wishes with 1 wish on it. Now the Beholder has it. I'm unsure of the most evil way to use that: I first wanted to use it as a getaway, but... Somehow I feel like that's not evil enough.

So I ask you: If you were a Beholder whose lair recently got attacked, and who is awaiting another attack any day, what would you do with a free Wish spell?

AsteriskAmp
2013-02-19, 09:37 PM
Wish to be able to enter Beholder Mage without having to put out my Antimagic Eye.

Eugenides
2013-02-19, 09:42 PM
Wish to be able to enter Beholder Mage without having to put out my Antimagic Eye.

Or, alternately, put out my eye, enter Beholder Mage, and then wish my eye back.

DoctorGlock
2013-02-19, 09:43 PM
The same thing Beholder wish for every night...

To take over the world!

But in all seriousness, it sounds like a rough fight already, use it for some magic item that is helpful but still lootable

Matticussama
2013-02-19, 09:53 PM
It really depends upon just how lethal you want it to be.

The Beholder can safely assume that the party will return to get revenge. Thus, one option would be to have it use the Wish to duplicate a Simulacrum spell. It now has a second, obedient Simulacrum of itself, with the abilities of a Beholder of 1/2 its HD.

It can use that Beholder Simulacrum in two ways.
(1) Draw the party into an ambush. It leaves that one to draw the party out, since they will more than likely believe that it is the one that killed their Bard. That allows the original Beholder to lure the party out into the open without putting itself at risk.
(2) It now has additional fire support in the way of an obedient Simulacrum slave. If the party goes Nova in an attempt to take it out as quickly as possible, they've just wasted several of their high level spells, items, etc on a mook. If they get drawn into a longer fight, the Beholder can move in to ambush them while they're distracted by the Simulacrum. This is especially useful when dealing with overlapping anti-magic field eyes, or more overlapping coverage for eye rays.

Raven777
2013-02-19, 09:56 PM
I'd wish to raise the bard as a loyal undead servant, then make him official jester of my Evil Thieves Court™. Bonus evil point if I make him an actual Red Jester (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/red-jester), because these things are scary.

Never mind, forgot he got dusted.

silverwolfer
2013-02-19, 09:59 PM
:Warning Post: Open if you desire to read the jokes on beholders wishing, otherwise keep closed.

A belt

http://www.mikerayhawk.com/images/beholder.jpg

A hat big enough for his body

http://www.figures.com/forums/attachments/news/14253d1291226597-d-d-holiday-wish-list-1beholder.jpg

To have enough respect that humans won't take his dead body to a taxidermist and made into a stuffed toy

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/wishlist/wish_beholder.jpg

that he never looks like this again

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/images/d&d%20beasts%20beholder%202.jpg

that female beholders look like this in r/l

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/aprilfools_beholder.jpg

That beholders did not come with separable parts

http://img13.imageshost.ru/img/2012/07/13/image_50002ad8d7fa3.jpg

that you never meet this guy

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/33975168.jpg

That it was a very bad idea to give beholders noses

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12359001/images/1286491777060.jpg

Jack_Simth
2013-02-19, 10:02 PM
So I ask you: If you were a Beholder whose lair recently got attacked, and who is awaiting another attack any day, what would you do with a free Wish spell?

If you think it's already going to be a rough fight:
1) Do what I usually do with such things: Keep it around as a panic button. Transport Travelers is a handy clause (and then just have him forget to use it when the time comes).
2) Have him be cautious about this unknown magical doodad, and have it sitting in a pile with all the other gear that's pending identification and liquidation.

If you want to make the fight tougher:
The racial description of the Beholders is rather vain - they view themselves as the ultimate creature. Obviously, then, he wants the ultimate servant - a simulacrum of himself.

If you want the critter to become a somewhat recurring villain:
Clone.

RFLS
2013-02-19, 10:06 PM
Perhaps for an ish wish fish dish?

Harugami
2013-02-19, 10:08 PM
Id wish for the adventures to be trapped in a jar in my possession you know so I can shake it and watch them puke on each other while laughing evily

Urpriest
2013-02-19, 10:09 PM
It depends: does the Beholder take the party seriously as threats?

If so, the Simulacrum is a good choice, as is some sort of defensive magic item.

If not, have it use the wish to further its current plans. Transport Travelers is a great use, remember it can be used to move enemies into traps as well. Have the Beholder kidnap someone important.

limejuicepowder
2013-02-19, 10:11 PM
Arms with hands on the ends of them, probably. Know how annoying it would be to have that kind of intelligence and ego but not have hands? And forget about properly scratching itches.

denthor
2013-02-19, 10:14 PM
How does a beholder with out hands pick up the ring worthless magic Item to the creature but as what to wish for.

This to never happen to the Beholder see Sprain Wrist Theater (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/GuestStrips.html)

Urpriest
2013-02-19, 10:16 PM
How does a beholder with out hands pick up the ring worthless magic Item to the creature but as what to wish for.

Telekinesis.

limejuicepowder
2013-02-19, 10:18 PM
Telekinesis.

Could they use it though? Don't magic rings have to be worn?

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-19, 10:20 PM
The key thing to remember about beholder psychology is that each beholder thinks that it personally is the living embodiment of the ideal being. All others should be as they are, and those that aren't should be slaves or some such to help spread the particular beholder's sphere of influence, so that the beholder eventually fills the same role in reality as in its egocentric thoughts. Most are therefore prone to delusions of grandeur, and some additional paranoia and such, since the beholder is the center of creation, and thus lots of people are out to get them.

Anyway, the wish should be something to support this. Maybe wish to mindrape or likewise the local leader that opposes the Thieves Guild. Have said leader sic the town guard or w/e on the players.

A defensive item would also make sense. The beholder is pretty stacked with magical effects, though, so I'd still aim for something to create an unexpected complication in the plot.

AntiTrust
2013-02-19, 10:51 PM
If I recall from Lords of Madness, each beholder believes it alone looks most like the hive mother which results in beholders fighting each-other and disliking one another. Perhaps a wish that the other beholders recognized its likeness being best to that of the hive mother. The result of this in game would be the beholder being leader of other beholder. What was a lone beholder and a thieves guild is now a group of beholders working together under this ones direction, a power that threatens to destroy the whole town

Snowbluff
2013-02-19, 11:05 PM
The key thing to remember about beholder psychology is that each beholder thinks that it personally is the living embodiment of the ideal being. All others should be as they are, and those that aren't should be slaves or some such to help spread the particular beholder's sphere of influence, so that the beholder eventually fills the same role in reality as in its egocentric thoughts. Most are therefore prone to delusions of grandeur, and some additional paranoia and such, since the beholder is the center of creation, and thus lots of people are out to get them.

If I recall from Lords of Madness, each beholder believes it alone looks most like the hive mother which results in beholders fighting each-other and disliking one another. Perhaps a wish that the other beholders recognized its likeness being best to that of the hive mother. The result of this in game would be the beholder being leader of other beholder. What was a lone beholder and a thieves guild is now a group of beholders working together under this ones direction, a power that threatens to destroy the whole town

Really? Because I was going to suggest fae-ishly good looks, so it can land something with less eyestalks and more something in the beautiful department. a girlfriend. Honestly, these guys spend too much time in dungeons alone.

Matticussama
2013-02-19, 11:14 PM
Could they use it though? Don't magic rings have to be worn?

If I recall correctly, Lords of Madness mentions that Beholders can wear rings and necklaces on their eye stalks. However, I'm away from book at the moment so I can't give you a page number on that one.

AntiTrust
2013-02-19, 11:26 PM
If I recall correctly, Lords of Madness mentions that Beholders can wear rings and necklaces on their eye stalks. However, I'm away from book at the moment so I can't give you a page number on that one.

A creature with a beholder-shaped body can wear the fol-lowing magic items:
• One headband, hat, or phylactery on the body. A beholder
can only wear a helmet specially designed to fi t over the
creature’s entire body.
• Three pairs of eye lenses or goggles over the central eye and
up to two eyestalks (one pair per eye or eyestalk).
• Three amulets, brooches, medallions, necklaces, periapts,
or scarabs on up to three eyestalks (one item per eyestalk).
• One belt worn about an eyestalk.
• One pair of bracers or bracelets on a pair of eyestalks.
• Up to three rings on up to three eyestalks (one ring per
eyestalk)

LoM pg 45

Aliek
2013-02-19, 11:30 PM
Anyway, the wish should be something to support this. Maybe wish to mindrape or likewise the local leader that opposes the Thieves Guild. Have said leader sic the town guard or w/e on the players.

I believe mindrape is a 9th level spell.

I'd say thumbs up for the simulacrum idea, because if a half-normal hd beholder still has all his eyestalks, he would still be pretty dangerous, what's with loads and loads of spells and an spontaneous anti-magic field.

Really, beholders gotta be scarier than most dragons.

yougi
2013-02-19, 11:33 PM
It depends: does the Beholder take the party seriously as threats?

If so, the Simulacrum is a good choice, as is some sort of defensive magic item.

If not, have it use the wish to further its current plans. Transport Travelers is a great use, remember it can be used to move enemies into traps as well. Have the Beholder kidnap someone important.

Well, they did murder many members of his organization, including a few powerful folks, but they didn't hurt him. I'm kind of torn as Beholders are intelligent and he'd know anyone who would tear through a party of lv10 folks should be seen as a threat to his life, but at the same time the Beholder's psychology could oversee that. So I guess no, he does not take them seriously as threats to his life, but he does see them as serious threats to his organization.

To everyone: What about a botched wish? You know when a player wishes for something not covered in the rules, and you face them with ironic consequences? What about having the Beholder do that, making the encounter more convoluted? Any ideas?

sambouchah
2013-02-19, 11:42 PM
Wish all other races were never created. Beholders are racist bastards.

AntiTrust
2013-02-19, 11:44 PM
The only issue with a botched wish is the players aren't going to know that it was botched, and whatever ends up happening may just seem confusing and/or convoluted.

THAT being said...

Maybe a botched wish for power results in him being followed by, but not able to control or destroy several beholder-kin (beholder-esque creatures that beholders view as abominations). Next time the party sees the beholder he's shooting rays at tiny Eyeball beholder-kin which zip around and even when hit only shrug off the attack as they continue to mock him and dance around him

Matticussama
2013-02-19, 11:59 PM
Since the party destroyed the Beholder's Thief Guild, perhaps it uses the Wish to try and resurrect the fallen members of the guild killed by the party. Being beyond the capabilities of a single Wish, however, perhaps it only brings back a small vestige of their former selves; it returns them as ghosts, shadows or wraiths (or any other sort of intelligent undead) driven mad by hatred who want vengeance both on the party that killed them as well as their boss who was unable to keep them from being killed by the party.

This puts the area into a 3-way struggle; the party v.s the Beholder & allies v.s the vengeance-seeking former guild members. Unless the party manages to kill the Beholder and/or put the spirits of the dead guild members to rest, the city that the guild is based out of will become slowly devoured by these roving spirits seeking vengeance for the ills inflicted upon them in their lives.

Acanous
2013-02-20, 12:06 AM
Or, alternately, put out my eye, enter Beholder Mage, and then wish my eye back.

This got me thinking. If he gets his eye back, does he lose his class abilities, as though he no longer meets a prereq?

Immabozo
2013-02-20, 12:08 AM
To everyone: What about a botched wish? You know when a player wishes for something not covered in the rules, and you face them with ironic consequences? What about having the Beholder do that, making the encounter more convoluted? Any ideas?

Maybe he wishes to bring back all the fallen members of his thieves guild two fold. So they come back twice as many... as zombies!

Or perhaps he wished that, upon entering the thieves guild again, they will be overrun. Then have them overrun... BY RABBITS! Or perhaps franken-rabbits (put an undead template on the rabbits)

Have them do a spell craft check to recognize it as a botched wish.

Snowbluff
2013-02-20, 12:20 AM
This got me thinking. If he gets his eye back, does he lose his class abilities, as though he no longer meets a prereq?

Possibly. It says the beholder must put out the eye, not that the eye has to be put out. If the beholder has performed the action in the past, it qualifies IMO.

eastmabl
2013-02-20, 12:51 AM
Lasik, of course.

Quietus
2013-02-20, 01:19 AM
If you want to develop it in a way that would reveal it to be a well-developed opponent, I'd consider having it wish that it were able to breed "true". That is, any children it has, through whatever mechanic Beholders have children, are all identical to it, as are their children on down the line. To a Beholder, I imagine ensuring that all of its children match its own perfection would be worth the cost of that Wish. If this is just an XP balloon waiting to be popped, though, then I'd either hide the ring or wish for a defensive item.

Matticussama
2013-02-20, 01:21 AM
RAI aside, the main RAW problem of wishing for the anti-magic eye back comes from how the Beholder Mage class uses it:

"Beholder mages do not require material components to cast their spells. The ruined central eye acts as an arcane focus for all the creature's spells. If a spell normally requires a material component that carries with it a gold-piece cost, the beholder mage instead spends a number of experience points equal to one-fifth of the normal gold-piece cost (minimum of 1 experience point). "

If you wished for the eye back, then you would no longer be able to use it as a focus. If you choose spells without an arcane focus, this won't be a problem I suppose. Should the spell require a focus, however, you'd have to figure out some other way to hold and use it.

DaTedinator
2013-02-20, 10:30 AM
I vote simulacrum, because do you know how much fun you could have with that if you *don't* use it as fire support?

If the beholder doesn't view the party as a threat, have him just send the simulacrum. The party kills it, and then has to figure out why the beholder dissolved when it died. And then, unless they figure it out, gets really surprised when the beholder shows up again later.

Alternatively, reverse it; have the real beholder die, and then the simulacrum sees that the party killed the real him, and thus he doesn't stand a chance. So he bides his time, slowly rebuilding the thieves' guild, and cautiously works his way towards revenge.

Barring that, though, I like the idea of just holding on to it and using it as a last-ditch thing. Heck, the last-ditch thing could be... making a simulacrum.

mawexzon
2013-02-20, 11:12 AM
Wish for hands?

Marnath
2013-02-20, 05:07 PM
Really? Because I was going to suggest fae-ishly good looks, so it can land something with less eyestalks and more something in the beautiful department. a girlfriend. Honestly, these guys spend too much time in dungeons alone.

They reproduce asexually. So that's not a problem.

XionUnborn01
2013-02-20, 05:45 PM
If you want to go the botched wish route, you can always think of a wish that he would use offensively on the party. Then wait for the party to arrive and he makes his wish, then the party sees first hand that the wish didn't go as planned. As an additional bonus, this opens the door to let them know that wishes don't always go as planned in the world, even a powerful creature can be screwed up by one.

drax75
2013-02-20, 07:28 PM
Id wish for this Item:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Crenshinibon

Gildedragon
2013-02-20, 08:22 PM
Ask for an eleventh stalk with a second antimagic eye at its end
Put out the central one out for beholder mage & focus,
enjoy a rotating antimagic field.

Incom
2013-02-20, 08:28 PM
"I'm a Beholder, which means that I'm literally the coolest thing ever, but it's kinda lonely at the top. I wish everyone were like me." (He turns humanoid.)

Immabozo
2013-02-20, 08:31 PM
"I'm a Beholder, which means that I'm literally the coolest thing ever, but it's kinda lonely at the top. I wish everyone were like me." (He turns humanoid.)

this is genius!

Gildedragon
2013-02-20, 08:36 PM

Oh god! this is it!
Man, yeah the beholder would so wish that; it'd prove it to be THE true form of the Eyemother.

Wow. Bonus points for cruel wishtwisting

golem1972
2013-02-20, 10:05 PM
The Initiate of Mystra feat.

drax75
2013-02-21, 11:40 AM

Based on the wish's wording "I wish everyone were like me." based on the sentence structure would turn everyone into a Beholder.

I am trying to think of a better way to word this, but at the moment i am drawing a blank. Maybe if he knew a powerful human mage he could be like "I wish i was as powerful as (insert human name here)" That could leave it opened enough to turn him into a human.

Or something along those lines.

EDIT: I thought of a great way to word it!!! "I wish i could go unnoticed" Since their are so many Humans the the wish could decide to make him human to fit into society and thus "pass unnoticed"

Jack_Simth
2013-02-21, 12:22 PM
Based on the wish's wording "I wish everyone were like me." based on the sentence structure would turn everyone into a Beholder.That's the blatantly obvious intent, yes. However, the end result of the twist satisfies the terms of the wish, while not exceeding the power of an 8th level Sor/Wiz spell (Polymorph Any Object; Kingdom = Animal, Class = Mammal (arguably), Same or Lower Int = Permanent). Before the Wish, the Beholder is basically unique. After the Wish, basically everyone is like the (ex) beholder, who is now a humanoid, so the Wish is now true enough.

Another_Poet
2013-02-21, 12:36 PM

Yes, this! This is it.

Especially if he is all smug about it. He's been saving the ring and it's hanging on his eyestalk when the party finally encounters him. He was waiting for them so they could witness his great act of victory just before they become his slaves.

And then.... whiff.

drax75
2013-02-21, 12:39 PM
That's the blatantly obvious intent, yes. However, the end result of the twist satisfies the terms of the wish, while not exceeding the power of an 8th level Sor/Wiz spell (Polymorph Any Object; Kingdom = Animal, Class = Mammal (arguably), Same or Lower Int = Permanent). Before the Wish, the Beholder is basically unique. After the Wish, basically everyone is like the (ex) beholder, who is now a humanoid, so the Wish is now true enough.

I understand the point of the "twist" but i always took it to mean "find a flaw in the request"

I mean heck based on that logic i could say "I wish i was a living breathing Bat with bird wings" and then the twist is it turns me into a frog.....

I would just find a way to pick at the request directly.... everyone being like him is not the same or even close to him being like everyone else.... in fact that's the very inverse hardly a twist..... imo

Jack_Simth
2013-02-21, 04:15 PM
I understand the point of the "twist" but i always took it to mean "find a flaw in the request"

I mean heck based on that logic i could say "I wish i was a living breathing Bat with bird wings" and then the twist is it turns me into a frog.....

No, that would not satisfy the results of the wish after the actions of the Wish spell were complete. The turning of the beast humanoid would.

Xenogears
2013-02-21, 07:17 PM
Based on the wish's wording "I wish everyone were like me." based on the sentence structure would turn everyone into a Beholder.

I am trying to think of a better way to word this, but at the moment i am drawing a blank. Maybe if he knew a powerful human mage he could be like "I wish i was as powerful as (insert human name here)" That could leave it opened enough to turn him into a human.

Or something along those lines.

EDIT: I thought of a great way to word it!!! "I wish i could go unnoticed" Since their are so many Humans the the wish could decide to make him human to fit into society and thus "pass unnoticed"

I'm thinking something like "I wish I was the most common creature on the Material Plane." I can imagine the beholder saying that in an attempt to create more beholders like him.

drax75
2013-02-21, 07:21 PM
I'm thinking something like "I wish I was the most common creature on the Material Plane." I can imagine the beholder saying that in an attempt to create more beholders like him.

Oh that's FANTASTICALLY worded with pitfalls PERFECTLY done!!!

Immabozo
2013-02-21, 07:23 PM

This would likely turn him into a fly or another insect. There is by FAR more of them, than there is humans. There are over 10,600 know species of flies, on earth, anyway. Most of those are only found in Australia, too

Xenogears
2013-02-21, 07:58 PM
This would likely turn him into a fly or another insect. There is by FAR more of them, than there is humans. There are over 10,600 know species of flies, on earth, anyway. Most of those are only found in Australia, too

True I was only thinking of the more playable races. Change it to "Most dominant species" perhaps? In most DnD fluff it seems to think humans are the most prominent species.

Immabozo
2013-02-21, 08:13 PM
True I was only thinking of the more playable races. Change it to "Most dominant species" perhaps? In most DnD fluff it seems to think humans are the most prominent species.

This is quite true.

Perhaps this will be a wish ahead of time with a built-in delay that allows him a nice monolog and stroke his ego, then the wish goes off at the end of the monolog. I could see that his "Speach before conquering the wold" and then in all crumbles to ruin