PDA

View Full Version : Starting Occupations?

barna10
2013-02-19, 09:58 PM
The Player's Archive from Mystic Eye Games had a small list of starting occupations as an appendix in the back. I really like the idea, but there aren't many options. Has anyone seen anything like this? Maybe a homebrew list somewhere?

barna10
2013-02-19, 10:48 PM
I see there are starting occupations for D20 modern. Anybody ever adapt those?

Acanous
2013-02-19, 10:50 PM
Well, technically anything you put into a Profession or Craft skill at lv 1 is your starting occupation. There's rules for it and everything.

barna10
2013-02-19, 11:04 PM
True, but technically those are skills one has developed after becoming a (insert class here). The starting occupation would be what the character did prior to becoming a (insert class here).

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-02-19, 11:12 PM
True, but technically those are skills one has developed after becoming a (insert class here).

That's a very awkward nitpick. If all skills are gained at the moment you become a full fledged Lvl 1 member of a PC class, what were your character's stats a week before the campaign started? Were they proto-beings? Commoners with some of the PC's future skills? Unkillable children with no combat stats?

By RAW, your correct skills are gained after the Player selects a class but RAW also has no 0-level rules and nobody is Pre-level 1.

If you want a basic starting point for 0-level, the 3.0 DMG had rules for making 0/0 multi-classes as level 1 characters. Using just one side per those rules makes a good basis for 0-level.

barna10
2013-02-19, 11:12 PM
I found this backgrounds-occupations (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/variant-rules/variant-rules-3rd-party/adamant-entertainment/backgrounds-occupations)

Should work

barna10
2013-02-19, 11:14 PM
That's a very awkward nitpick. If all skills are gained at the moment you become a full fledged Lvl 1 member of a PC class, what were your character's stats a week before the campaign started? Were they proto-beings? Commoners with some of the PC's future skills? Unkillable children with no combat stats?

By RAW, your correct skills are gained after the Player selects a class but RAW also has no 0-level rules and nobody is Pre-level 1.

True, but does that mean a fighter is born a fighter? or a Wizard pops out of mommy and is able to cast spells?

Also, 3.0 DMG did include 0-level rules

Ellrin
2013-02-19, 11:16 PM

Which is one of the dumbest parts about trying to roleplay RAW.:smallannoyed:

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-02-19, 11:19 PM
True, but does that mean a fighter is born a fighter? or a Wizard pops out of mommy and is able to cast spells?

Also, 3.0 DMG did include 0-level rules

Of course not, but homebrew 0-levels or just ignoring it is the answer. Commoner also makes a good 0-level especially if you allow them to take and later retrain feats like the ones that let you cast 0-level spells. I also recommend ignoring +1 BAB as a prerequisite.

Do you want 0-level homebrew or mechanics to support backstory jobs?

barna10
2013-02-19, 11:32 PM
Of course not, but homebrew 0-levels or just ignoring it is the answer. Commoner also makes a good 0-level especially if you allow them to take and later retrain feats like the ones that let you cast 0-level spells. I also recommend ignoring +1 BAB as a prerequisite.

Do you want 0-level homebrew or mechanics to support backstory jobs?

Pretty much, yes, but like I posted earlier, the backgrounds & occupations for Pathfinder will work just fine. Did you have another source to look at?

Ellrin
2013-02-19, 11:36 PM
I found this backgrounds-occupations (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/variant-rules/variant-rules-3rd-party/adamant-entertainment/backgrounds-occupations)

Should work

Thanks for posting. This is awesome.

barna10
2013-02-19, 11:38 PM
Thanks for posting. This is awesome.

You're welcome.