PDA

View Full Version : Druids and holy symbols

AlanBruce
2013-02-20, 01:24 AM
Greetings! I believe I read this somewhere regarding druids and their divine focus. I know clerics require a holy symbol to prepare spells (or at least I'm 90% sure). What about druids, however? I think I read that a druid does not need an elaborate and costly trinket like the cleric- a mistletoe or a squirrel's skull will do.

So what happens when the druid finds himself without said holy symbol and cannot find a replacement- in this particular scenario, an aberration ridden dungeon. Would he be spell less the day after if he takes more than 24 hours to leave the place? Or does he get to prepare spells normally the next day?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-02-20, 01:33 AM
In that scenario he can't cast spells that require a focus. He's a Druid so he still has Wildshape and junk.

tyckspoon
2013-02-20, 01:41 AM
The druid would be well advised to study up on which of his spells do not require a divine focus in that case. He can prepare spells normally- having a divine focus is not a requirement for spell preparation, just for casting.

(If he were a Cleric, he would simply prepare a couple copies of the Summon Holy Symbol cantrip, but there does not appear to be a Druid version of that spell.)

ArcturusV
2013-02-20, 01:43 AM
Could always ask your DM if you can improvise. Finding something like a bit of moss growing between some stones. Or a root which is breaking through a wall. It doesn't seem to need to be anything specific, just a natural token of some sort. If you're in a dungeon you might even knock out part of a wall, then grab some dirt from the other side and put it in a glass vial.

AlanBruce
2013-02-20, 01:49 AM
Thank you very much for the responses! The druid has the ACF from PHB 2, which allows him to shape shift, I believe, at will as a swift action. Being 11th level, he can take on the bear form and gets some nasty attacks.

I always wondered about the preparation for spells. So he could prepare his spells normally the next day, just not those that required a focus. Provided he can find any natural token to use as one.

Gwendol
2013-02-20, 04:37 AM
No, he can prepare any spell he wants, just as usual. Those which require a focus to cast however, he need to find a focus to be able to use.

hymer
2013-02-20, 05:15 AM
No druid spell I've ever cast requires a focus. I don't think any of them do.

Gwendol
2013-02-20, 05:35 AM
So, you have never cast Entangle as a druid then?

Entangle
Transmutation
Level: Drd 1, Plant 1, Rgr 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: Plants in a 40-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Reflex partial; see text
Spell Resistance: No

hymer
2013-02-20, 05:38 AM
We're talking divine focus of course, my bad.

Gwendol
2013-02-20, 06:14 AM
It is the topic of the thread, after all. :smallsmile:

hoverfrog
2013-02-20, 06:43 AM
With such unspecified divine foci let the player choose at character creation. It cold be his stave, a sprig of mistletoe, or anything really but it should be consistent.

gooddragon1
2013-02-20, 07:04 AM
It doesn't say it in the SRD. However, in the PHB page 174, 2nd column under divine focus, 1st paragraph... the last sentence says "The default divine focus for a druid or a ranger is a sprig of mistletoe or holly."

EDIT: Wow, that sounded a lot like a lawyer quote.