PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Pages : 1 [2]

GPuzzle
2014-02-11, 12:23 PM
303. If you want a story-based game, the players find a way to turn it into a grindfest. If you want a simple and basic dungeoncrawl, the players will find a way to turn it into a deep, philosophical game with even the dumbest PCs making an important points in that discussion on wheter or not it is a good idea to kill the Minotaur.

304. If you tell a player what something does in general, expect him to use it to a weird extent. Use them as plot hooks. If you mention spilled blood where they haven't been yet and a player decides to make a Nature check, use it as a plot hook.

305. You know, the players will want to go into inns and taverns. Use it to your advantage and allow the tavern to be an adventure.

306. Tucker's Kobolds and any variation of them shall be used when your players find the game too boring. Let's see them bored when those rocks are raining on them, together with just about every trap in the world and oil flasks on fire.

SimonMoon6
2014-02-11, 01:31 PM
Let's see them bored when those rocks are raining on them, together with just about every trap in the world

Hmmm... are you allowed to throw traps at people? That's an interesting tactic I had never thought of before. Now I'm wondering if it's cost effective.

arcane_asp
2014-02-12, 06:36 AM
307: At least one player in the party will have their Ego directly linked to the results of their dice rolls. If they are rolling high , they will be extroverted and outgoing. If they are rolling low, they will be depressed and quiet. If they are rolling average they will be content but not inclined to get enthused.

Jay R
2014-02-12, 12:32 PM
Hmmm... are you allowed to throw traps at people? That's an interesting tactic I had never thought of before. Now I'm wondering if it's cost effective.

If you have the right equipment (http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/atlas-trap-thrower-holds-250-clays-at250.html#.UvuvvtGYZdg).

Mrc.
2014-02-12, 04:25 PM
308: Despite appearances, players can be capable of surprising levels of forethought and planning, so don't be too surprised when they spend over an hour of RL working out an ambush or way of sneaking into the villains fortress. However, be prepared for a party member to decide to ruin this and just march up to the gate, negating all the work. Bonus points if the whole party do this, making you wonder why they even bothered.

Edit: Oops! Necromancy.

Vaynor
2014-02-13, 02:31 AM
The Red Towel: Thread necromancy.