PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Archivist Questions

jeice
2013-02-20, 06:38 AM
So I'm looking to put together some sort of lore-monkey character for the campaign I'm in and I've narrowed it down to either a cloistered cleric or Archivist. I'm also planning to go the archer route as well so that's another consideration. So basically I'm looking for advice as to which may be the better choice for me as well as a few questions regarding the Archivists themselves. I've read the Archivist handbook and understand the class fairly well, but there are a few things I'm not sure of so would like to get clarification.

- Are the bonuses from all of the Dark Knowledge checks considered untyped? Specifically, will they stack with bonuses I myself would get from knowledge devotion or are there stacking issues?

- Does the "foe" Dark Knowledge ability count as precision or standard damage? It seems to emulate sneak attack damage (d6, opponent weak spot) yet you specifically get to make checks versus aberrations and undead which normally don't allow precision damage. Again I didn't see any specifics regarding this.

- How do wands work with Archivists since their spell list is basically any divine spell? Can they only use wands with spells they contain in their prayer book, or all standard cleric spells since they have access to them all when choosing spells per level? Same question goes for casting spells from a divine scroll.

So as for the choice, let me list the character creations rules.

30 point buy
LA buyoff up to +1, so it's on the table.
Race is pretty open from core/races of../PGtF(FR campaign)

Also DM doesn't like split casting stats so everything would be based off on int so I can dump wis if needbe. Also have talked to him about "collegiate archivist" feat that works exactly like the wizard version from CA and he thinks it's fine.

My goal is to be a lore-monkey support character that can do a little of everything utility-wise, including some damage, and help out the group in encounters without stealing the spotlight. Archivist seems a great fit, though Cloistered Cleric isn't far behind and is probably easier to build. I've considered CCleric 1/Archivist x so I can get knowledge devotion for free, 2 good domain powers(magic domain for wiz wands?!) and some extra low level buffs/utility spells for the low cost of 11 wis. Would consider paragnostic apostle and contemplative for PrC's once I get to at least level 11 Archivist.

If I go Archivist and dump wis I'd obviously be going dex archer, whereas with cleric I'd be going Zen archery. I could get longbow prof through domain power OR playing an outsider or elf. The ranger buffs would be awesome to boost my archery, though I guess persisting Divine power would be just as good.

Basically just looking for a few answers on the Archivist q's as well as some general opinions about my possible options given my character goals.

Gildedragon
2013-02-20, 07:08 AM
- How do wands work with Archivists since their spell list is basically any divine spell? Can they only use wands with spells they contain in their prayer book, or all standard cleric spells since they have access to them all when choosing spells per level? Same question goes for casting spells from a divine scroll.
Their spell list is the cleric spell list, as such wands and the like with cleric spells are cast without a hitch.
More problematic is the notion of non-cleric spells on their prayerbook. I would say they use them without problem, but can't say I'm 100% sure.

Psyren
2013-02-20, 11:20 AM
Cleric is probably the better general choice for archery thanks to domains and Zen Archery. But Archivist can be decent at it too.

For your questions:

- Are the bonuses from all of the Dark Knowledge checks considered untyped? Specifically, will they stack with bonuses I myself would get from knowledge devotion or are there stacking issues?

All Dark Knowledge bonuses are untyped except Foreknowledge (an insight bonus.) This includes Tactics (attack) and Foe (damage.)

- Does the "foe" Dark Knowledge ability count as precision or standard damage? It seems to emulate sneak attack damage (d6, opponent weak spot) yet you specifically get to make checks versus aberrations and undead which normally don't allow precision damage. Again I didn't see any specifics regarding this.

Precision damage is defined in Rules Compendium, and Dark Knowledge is not on the list. It functions more like a favored enemy bonus I would say, despite the size of the damage.

All divine spells.

Fyermind
2013-02-20, 11:32 AM
Would you have a good source of scrolls of ranger spells? Archivists are brilliantly powerful archers with access to all the ranger archery spells, but pale beside clerics without them.

I would suggest playing an outsider for earlier access to polymorph into an arrow demon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040815b&page=4). Archivist gets polymorph more easily as well. Without Turn undead and DMM craziness though, the archivist will be burning through spell slots (and actions) to keep up with the clerics persistent effects.