PDA

View Full Version : Of Wood and Stone

Artman77
2013-02-20, 10:14 AM
"You know of the small family of farmers south of here that your father babbles about incoherently when he is drunk? This afternoon he took a small company of men, still dressed in our family's colors, and executed them in their front yard."

He pauses a moment.

"I did not inform you on my plans to aquire the mine because firstly I didn't want to worry you, and secondly, I didn't want your personal feelings to cloud my judgement."

tonberryking
2013-02-27, 10:36 PM
Well, I am worried, you old goat. No one trades a gemstone mine for a horse farm, no matter how small the mine nor how majestic the farm. Unlikely they are in dire need of horses; this means one of two things: the mine is running dry or our horse farm has something they want on it.

Juno's bite seems more to do with the staggering news of her father, but she speaks evenly if harshly, her hands still steepled. "You shall not have the deeds. In front of the rest of my Uncles, as head of the Woodblade family and Baroness apparent I am ordering you not to go through with this exchange. I am not ungrateful to your efforts, but suspicion is a close ally at hand and I would at list first know to whom offered you this arrangement. Who thinks so little of the Woodblades?

Artman77
2013-03-04, 02:37 AM
"I am sorry to hear this, I truly am. I knew you would second guess me, that's why I have gone on with the deal myself. The horse farm and your grandfather's old house were not for Mathias, they were for me. If you do not see fit to offer them to me, I guess I will have to staff and oversee the mine personally, as well as any profits borne from it..."

This does not surprise you. Istevan has always been a schemer. Sentimental value aside, your grandfather's old manor isn't worth much. The horse farm, however, has been the lifeblood of this family for generations. Even if it wasn't profitable, which it is, it is still symbolic of the Woodblade's ability to overcome all obstacles; be it on the battlefield or enduring political turmoil which seems to have no end.

If Istevan has indeed aquired the old mine, it is at least worth checking out. Best not to drive the last nail in the coffin before the wake, so to speak.

tonberryking
2013-03-11, 10:32 AM
Juno stays silent for far too long a pause. Her hands clench, her eyes narrow perceptibly.

"Gather troops loyal to their Baroness. I want the men who followed my father's orders today striped of arms and awaiting my presence in the dungeon." she rattles off an order to one of her uncles before looking at the rest, except for Istevan. "The rest of you, if you do not terribly mind.... wait outside. Except you." That's an order to Istevan himself, Juno stripping herself of her scimitar and casually leaving it on the table as she stands and circles around the desk towards the room's fireplace.

Intimidation check: This is a general affair just to scare the willies out of anybody present as to assert Juno's dominance: [roll0]

Artman77
2013-03-11, 12:48 PM
Upon seeing you rise in such a manner, most of your men do not wish to make eye contact. One turns his head to look at his brother in arms, another looks at the floor. Your other uncles hesitate for a moment, but seeing that your mind has been made up, they think better of it, and follow the rest of the men out the door, leaving you with uncle Istevan.

He clasps his hands behind his back and stands tall, awaiting the tongue-lashing he suspects you are about to deliver.

tonberryking
2013-03-18, 09:01 PM
No tongue lashing follows. In fact, several pregnant pauses give birth in the moments following her uncles' dismissal. Juno moves to lock the door, now between the one exit, and Istevan. Her eyes dart towards her desk --specifically her sword-- marking the end of her silence:

"Tell me, Uncle-in-law, do you know anything of swords?" she asks flippantly, but with a hint of demand to it. She expects an answer, and won't take silence or a hasty exit as any sort of substitution.

"Come, come, we have this lovely study to converse in; let us parlay. Tell me of your skills at fencing, your triumphs at arms.

By now, she seems to stand taller, shedding the illusion of her slight frame, the shadows cast by flickering flames make her wispy hair seem alight, her eyes smoldering at her uncle.

Artman77
2013-03-18, 10:50 PM
"So you wish to talk at length with me not of the acquisition of the mine, nor of the unbridled negligence of your drunkard father, but of swordplay?" He begins throws his hands in the air to emphasize his point, and then visibly tries to calm himself only to begin pulling at the corners of his beard. He continues;
"I served in the last campaign to expand the empire west at a young age, fighting in many battles including the Battle of Black Blood, which gave the empire a foothold culminating in the formation of the Ordos province."
He smiles smugly.
"After the war I returned to the duties of a noble which, among other things, gave me the chance to best other nobles in duels. Which I have also done."
He looks at you expectantly, as one would look at a child expected to give an answer.

tonberryking
2013-03-19, 07:47 AM
"What I do with the sack of liquored lard that is my father, or the mine you squandered my horsefields for is my business,. I. Am. The. Baroness." Juno responds coldly, But you seem quite experienced with invasive acquisitions, so I suppose it's in your nature to undermine me... Assuming you're not rusty after marrying my late Aunt Karei and worming your way into this family. My family. But at least you never could manage an heir to compete with me, so there's that. But... did you really think that I'm such a surly little tart playing in the woods that you would be able to do this without invoking my ire? Or that I would roll over with fawning eyes and beg you to teach me at intrigues?!"

Pressed up against the door, Juno begins tracing her fingers in the air, when faint lines of neon green light begin to follow after her tracing pattern.

"I'd like you to meet someone, dear uncle."

[roll0] Sense motive to see if Istevan is bluffing, [roll1] to intimidate him with that speech, and blowing my non Aspect of the wolf spell to Summon Nature's Ally: wolf. And [roll2] Initiative. Also, preemptively rolling concentration in case I need it: [roll3] I am working under the assumption Istevan is unarmed, and Juno's scimitar is the only weapon in the room. That he can move to.

Artman77
2013-03-19, 10:41 AM
"Undermine you? I think not!" He snorts indignantly.
"Who helped your father acquire his great wealth? I did!
Who kept the books before a trustworthy accountant could be found? I did!
Who secured the contract with the Dragon River Merchants? I did!
Who who had the foresight to purchase that little foal from Kodos, who grew to become the great Thunder, who sired your precious Bernadette?"
He watches you as you cast your spell, but makes no move to grab the weapon from the table despite himself being unarmed. He rushes his speech to get it out before you make your next move.
"And who oversaw the mines before your father sold them all?? I did!
Just because you've gotten your monthly blood, and your delinquent father has given you the run of the estate, you think you know automatically what is best do you??" His face contorts into a sneer.
"Your father's drinking, not having a son, the families ineptitude in the arcane arts have made us a laughing stock, which you are quite aware of and can handle. But what of our families dark secrets? Do you know them all? Do you know who else knows and why they keep quiet? Who in our family do you suppose works every day to ensure these secrets are kept quiet? And how am I repaid?? You insult my wife, your own blood, mocking her for being barren and threaten me with violence??!"
Istevan plants his feet firmly, making no move to grab the weapon nor to flee.

He's not bluffing about serving in the war or engaging in duels
He is somewhat intimidated by you but it's hard to tell to what degree. He is used to being the aggressor, and is a bit taken aback by your actions.
You win the initiative, talking (as I'm sure you know) is a free action.
His only weapon is a decorative (but still sharp) dagger on his belt. He makes no move to draw it.

tonberryking
2013-03-19, 03:59 PM
There's enough acid in her uncle's rebuttal to keep Juno from flinching. While the hungry gray wolf summoned by her side isn't ordered to attack her uncle, the beast forgotten, Juno still fights back.

"Men always blame a woman for the lack of sons but I know damn well better!" she yells back. "And how am *I* repaid?! When I wrested the reigns from my father's pissant grip all of you--don't try to deny it-- were bickering like mongrels behind his back over everything! Our own troops picked the livelihood of our farms clean! You may peddle secrets and ledgers but I brought us stability! I am the bloodline that the Woodblades will continue through, and at every step we fight for our noble worth. We pried it from dead bugbears and to this day we fight to keep and gain ground. And *I* am the one who will fight with words at court and with magic. Not you, not any one else in this arcane barren family-- All because I've paid the price to draw magic from the earth, we have the chance to do ourselves better! But with this action, without my consent you risk straying from fighting by me, to fighting against me! Which is it going to be, Uncle??

The wolf vanishes as soon as it arrives, Juno storming over within striking distance of Istevan, though she may literally butt heads with him, at this rate...

"Because, you see, I intend to fight, with every breath for not just what is owed, but what we must take! And I would much rather have a total bastard the likes of you by my side than go through such a person, but I will not be moved to the wayside!"

Hostile diplomacy: [roll0]

Artman77
2013-03-20, 01:20 AM
"Repaid indeed. None of us have given you any credit because you are young, although I suppose some is due to you. Your intelligence and ambition belie your maturity, but the fact you believe you've brought stability to your lands shows your naivete."
He doesn't shrink from your advance, and at this proximity you can smell his sweat. Or is it fear?
"The peasants now have a sense of normalcy in their lives, for which they thank you and trust in you for," he explains, "but stability, however, is an illusion. It does not exist for us, nor any noble. Our lives are in the hands of those above us. If we lose royal favor our world is in turmoil like that!" he exclaims, snapping his fingers.
He looks down at you, your height difference painfully apparent at this close of range. His voice softens.

"Do not hold against me those days in which I would not support you. Many times in politics no one will support you. You were young and needed to learn those lessons alone. In the last few years you have proven your commitment to your people, and your ambition. For that I am proud of you."
He studies your expression carefully, perhaps deciding what to say. Or perhaps what not to say.
"Yes: I risked alienating you, but it was necessary. I have it on good authority that the mine has hit a dry patch, but has not yet run out. I knew for a fact you would disagree with my bid for it, so yes, I went behind your back. My offer hangs in limbo; may I have the small horse farm and your grandfather's old winter cottage in exchange for the mine, or not? Refusal means sale of the mine to a third party and less than full rights to its riches.
--Keep in mind I am on your side. I have had ample opportunities to further the plans of my brothers, my family, but have turned them down many a time to help advance the only part of my wife left to me; her family..."

His mood suddenly changes and he sidesteps you and heads for the door.
"I never blamed 'the woman'," he whispers as he passes, "I blamed the gods! I have many bastard children, I know my seed is good! Do not bring this up again."
He pauses just as he reaches the door.
"You should see to your father."

I know each side likes to get the "last word" in an argument and I'm not trying to take that from you, Istevan is just trying to quit the conversation without looking like he's throwing in the towel.
It sounds like he will be more cooperative now, whether it's your diplomacy or an ulterior motive it's hard to say.

OOC: After your last words you can head over to the IC thread and answer your accountant and the servant boy who barges in and we can continue in the normal fashion for a bit, sound good?
You don't need to answer Istevan on the farm and cottage right now, but it would be helpful for me as a DM to know your decision.

tonberryking
2013-03-20, 09:42 PM
Juno's to do list:

Deal with her father in a similarly threatening with wolves fashion, though she'd probably turn into a wolf herself for Dad's shenanigans
Keep the higher ranked soldiers who followed his orders to massacre the farmers in jail. Also, importantly, she's going to ask who the FIRST person who followed through with the orders was, regardless of rank, and she's keeping that unlucky bastard in chains, too. The others are on the worst detail she can think of for the time being.
Personally, with Bernadette, go explore her Grandpa's house and the farm. She intends to turn the former upside down if she has to in order to figure out what's so damn special about it. Same with the horse farm.
Order both a serving woman and a guard whose trust she holds to keep an eye on her father, and she expects to be reported on all of his actions
Hide her gifts from ye evil conspiratorial guys better.

Artman77
2013-03-25, 10:59 PM
If you want to leave out a few details from your next post, and post them here, (internal dialogue, whispering to your most trusted guard etc) feel free. After that, we'll deal with the to-do list as it comes up.

tonberryking
2013-04-02, 09:12 AM
Okay, how much time passed? I was under the impression the Uncle meeting took place on the same day/night as the conspiratorial meeting with the Hydras, and we've gotten at least some leeway into the week time limit of finding a scapegoat for them.

Because otherwise this means that Juno is having one really taxing night right here...

I only ask to keep track of my spell list and to double check if any of my to-do list could have already been addressed. Also, how much do the lumberjacks/woodsmen/etc. *normally* get paid in a year? I may want to just pay them with Hydra bucks.

Artman77
2013-04-03, 12:27 PM
Yes, the meeting with the Hydras was in the afternoon, and the meeting with your uncles was in the evening. You're now riding out to interrogate the thieves found in your woods and it's still the same day.

Most skilled laborers make 2 cp/day or 1 gp/week. That's 52 gp/year. Eric made the most at around 65 gp/year, but took a pay cut to make the same as his workers when he asked them to work for less. He and his men make about 35 gp/year and there are 100 of them in your employ on this section of your fathers land who's wages total 3,500 annually.

You have another 100 workers logging in another area, overseen by Jiles who make the standard 52 gp/year, totaling 5,200/year for that operation.

Total wages paid out for lumber; 8,700 gp/year.
The profit from lumber exports minus taxes, tariffs, and equipment costs is still a positive number, but you have unpaid wages from previous years, and wages for services that bring no revenue such as clergy and military operations, as well as some of your fathers debts you are trying to pay off...