PDA

View Full Version : Huge weapons possible

Delirium Darkan
2013-02-20, 12:28 PM
I have been interested in making a character who weilds a huge weapon. I thought this would be possible with little effort and was soooo wrong.

I have thought of a couple ways.
1) start off as large character
A)anthropamorphic or other
2) take the negatives and overcome with positives.
3) become large to use the huge weapon in battle.

So far I am leaning towards #2 for the fact that I hate training out of racial levels.

Any ideas of items, classes, etc. to help me accoplish this and ways to improve this? I'm looking at it so far and all I see is a character with a huge sword. He needs a little something added to him like shadowstepping or arcane sword. Any tips for that as well?

Xenogears
2013-02-20, 12:35 PM
1) Be a large sized character.
2) Get Strongarm Bracers to wield a Huge sized Greatsword.
3) Take the War Hulk PrC.
4) ??????
5) Profit

Greenish
2013-02-20, 12:36 PM
1) Be a Half-giant Psychic Warrior.
2) Manifest Expansion.
3) ???
4) Profit.

Fyermind
2013-02-20, 12:37 PM
Play a goliath or half giant for powerful build. Take monkeygrip. Take exotic weapon proficiency (fullblade) for a 4d8 blade.

Deaxsa
2013-02-20, 12:38 PM
there's a problem with your thing.when you use a weapon that's larger than normal, it becomes whatever it is currently the right size for. so, if i'm a medium human wielding a large longsword, it's actually a medium greastsword with which i get a -2 because that's not what it was intended to be used as.

with the Monkey grip feat, i can use it as a large longsword, still at a -2 penalty, buti can use it as a medium longsword. what this means is that i am actually capable of wielding a large greatsword, whereas before, i was incapable of such a feat. the special ability Powerful Build (on half-giants and goliaths) does the same thing(only it removes the -2 penalty).

also, i'm not sure if using a light weapon one category larger than normal lets it stay a light weapon in your hands, such as with a large shortsword.

ahenobarbi
2013-02-20, 12:42 PM
Check out Mighty Wallop spell from Races of the Dragon - it increases size of your bludgeoning weapon by 1 category / 4 CL.

EDIT: And take a look at Enlarge Weapon from Complete Scoundrel. Only 1 size category increase and it doesn't stack with other size increases but it will work on any weapon.

zilonox
2013-02-20, 03:47 PM
You can take the major Titan bloodline from Unearthed Arcana (also the SRD (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/unearthedBloodlines.html#titan)). At 12th level, you can now wield a Gargantuan two-handed warhammer without penalty.

Combine with the Mighty Wallop spell as mentioned by ahenobarbi.

*BONUS*: Do this as a small or tiny creature for moar profit (just make sure you have enough strength to actually lift the thing).

Zanthy1
2013-02-20, 08:01 PM
Half-giants can use weapons a size category larger without penalty. They are however, medium creatures. So pretty much what greenish said.

Alternatively, if you dont want to be a psychic warrior, just have a wizard cast enlarge person on you, and then permanency.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-20, 08:05 PM
1. Major Titan Bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#titan)
2. Wield a two-handed warhammer sized for a gargantuan character without penalty, regardless of your own size.
3. Bloodline levels only cost you 1,000 xp each if you take them before your second class level, since they don't increase your character level (and thus don't increase the amount of xp you need to gain your next level).

Kalaska'Agathas
2013-02-20, 08:54 PM
1. Major Titan Bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#titan)
2. Wield a two-handed warhammer sized for a gargantuan character without penalty, regardless of your own size.
3. Bloodline levels only cost you 1,000 xp each if you take them before your second class level, since they don't increase your character level (and thus don't increase the amount of xp you need to gain your next level).

You forgot some steps:

0. Be a Pixie
4. ???
5. Profit

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-20, 09:24 PM
You forgot some steps:

0. Be a Pixie
4. ???
5. Profit

Be a Fiend of Possession and possess your Psicrystal instead. (Persistent Draconic Polymorph it into a Firbolg, Persistent Bite of the Werebear, Persistent Alter Self it back into itself, it has Str 60). Give it a Glove of Storing or similar and the diminutive creature pulls a gargantuan wooden mallet out of its pocket and rest is Looney Tunes.

Kalaska'Agathas
2013-02-20, 09:34 PM
Be a Fiend of Possession and possess your Psicrystal instead. (Persistent Draconic Polymorph it into a Firbolg, Persistent Bite of the Werebear, Persistent Alter Self it back into itself, it has Str 60). Give it a Glove of Storing or similar and the diminutive creature pulls a gargantuan wooden mallet out of its pocket and rest is Looney Tunes.

Character Optimization provided by ACME Corporation.

gallagher
2013-02-20, 09:43 PM
half giant with strongarm bracers who uses expansion and invest 6PP to go up two sizes

Deophaun
2013-02-20, 09:53 PM
EDIT: And take a look at Enlarge Weapon from Complete Scoundrel. Only 1 size category increase and it doesn't stack with other size increases but it will work on any weapon.
If you're using enlarge weapon, you don't stop for a measly huge greatsword. Take a colossal greatsword with the sizing property (to make it medium for general use/transport). Revert the greatsword to its normal (colossal) size. Cast enlarge weapon. Now you can wield a greatsword that does 8d6 points of damage with no penalty. 12d6 if the greatsword is made of alchemical gold.

Kazyan
2013-02-20, 11:59 PM
Character Optimization provided by ACME Corporation.

Major Titan Bloodline Jermlaine = Jerry.

Togo
2013-02-21, 04:47 AM
Make a medium character.

Get an enlarge person effect (wand +UMD, one level of divne crusader with strength domain, belt of size alteration, etc.)

Weild a huge club. Make the club yourself with a basic craft check, and it's free. It's a two-handed weapon now, because it's a size too big, and you get a -2 to hit. My character used to carry his around in a bag of holding.

For bonus, use oil of sheillegh. The huge club now does 4d6 damage.

Of course, if you want to be more ambitious, get a Master of Many Forms, or create a character that's large to start with, and you can weild Gargantuan clubs that do a base 3d6 damage, or 6d6 after Sheilleigh.

Some DMs may cap damage after a certain point.

Delirium Darkan
2013-02-21, 11:53 AM
If you're using enlarge weapon, you don't stop for a measly huge greatsword. Take a colossal greatsword with the sizing property (to make it medium for general use/transport). Revert the greatsword to its normal (colossal) size. Cast enlarge weapon. Now you can wield a greatsword that does 8d6 points of damage with no penalty. 12d6 if the greatsword is made of alchemical gold.

And I can weild this as a medium creature?

XmonkTad
2013-02-21, 03:21 PM
Enlarge weapon from complete scoundrel explicitly states you take no penalty for wielding an oversized weapon with the spell. It says nothing about your size or the original size of the weapon. So yes it will work for a medium creature wielding a colossal weapon. It will work for a pixie too.
Although, without the sizing property on the weapon it might be a pain to transport out of combat.
Also, for ranged weapons, ballista can be tricky to use and need feats to lessen its great number of disadvantages. Consider reach weapons with enlarge weapon instead.

Delirium Darkan
2013-02-21, 03:31 PM

Enlarge weapon from complete scoundrel explicitly states you take no penalty for wielding an oversized weapon with the spell. It says nothing about your size or the original size of the weapon. So yes it will work for a medium creature wielding a colossal weapon. It will work for a pixie too.
Although, without the sizing property on the weapon it might be a pain to transport out of combat.
Also, for ranged weapons, ballista can be tricky to use and need feats to lessen its great number of disadvantages. Consider reach weapons with enlarge weapon instead.

So now the question is wether a colossal sword has reach and do I threaten within said reach.

zilonox
2013-02-21, 03:57 PM
By RAW, no, the colossal sword would not grant you reach.

But, if I were a DM and allowed this in my game, I would say yes due to RAMS.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-21, 04:10 PM
Not only does it not grant you reach, but post-errata any weapon that's not appropriately sized to your character can ever grant reach, even if it's normally a reach weapon. So a medium character with Monkeygrip using a large Longspear doesn't have any greater reach than if he were punching someone.

Turok124
2013-02-21, 04:19 PM
I like using the sizing weapon property with a psywarrior's telekinetic weapon power.

Wield it with your mind an make it colossal size.

lunar2
2013-02-21, 05:51 PM
1. be a kobold.
2. become a goliath bonded stoneblessed.
3. take one level of barbarian, with the goliath racial substitution level.
4. take the monkey grip feat.
5. ???
6. profit!

alternatively

1. be a psionic duergar
2.???
3. profit!

Joshinthemosh
2013-02-21, 08:17 PM
Do you want the actual huge weapon or just the damage? If just the damage,

Step 1-Be a Goliath
Step 2-Heavy Weapons (Magic of faerun, page 179). They do damage as one size larger
Step 3-???
Step 4-Profit

Delirium Darkan
2013-02-21, 08:25 PM
By RAW, no, the colossal sword would not grant you reach.

But, if I were a DM and allowed this in my game, I would say yes due to RAMS.

What?! Really? LAME!!! I guess I have to argue with my DM as to wether or not I get some sort of reach.

Delirium Darkan
2013-02-22, 03:13 AM

Where did you find the Alchemical Gold modifier?

ahenobarbi
2013-02-22, 04:07 AM
Where did you find the Alchemical Gold modifier?

Gold weapons are from Magic of Faerun (p 179).

Muktidata
2013-02-22, 04:14 AM
LN Human Monk 2

Feats:
Magical Aptitude
Skill Focus (Use Magic Device)

Wealth (900):
Wand of Shillelagh 50/50 (750)
CL1 Potion of Giant Strength x2 (100)
Masterwork Tools of Use Magic Device (50)
Quarterstaff (0)

1) Drink a Potion of Giant Strength: You and Quarterstaff become Large.
2) Use a Wand of Shillelagh on your Quarterstaff: Quarterstaff does the damage of a +1 Gargantuan Quarterstaff.

chronomatophobe
2013-02-22, 04:42 AM
Guys, come on. A high level psychic warrior could manifest Metamorphosis before augmented Expansion to become colossal and still wield weapons.

An egoist gish with Greater Metamorphosis and expansion (and Fission to prep the shenanigans) gets a Greater DM thrown at you.

But it was worth saying "Now I'm TWO dragons!"

TiaC
2013-02-22, 05:17 AM
Half-minotaur Goliath Cerebramancer.
Manifest expansion.
Cast greater mighty wallop on your Alchemical Gold weapon.
Hit someone with your Colossal++++++ weapon. (Start with a minotaur warhammer and this will deal 64d6)
Profit.

SiuiS
2013-02-22, 05:25 AM
Cheese out the technical wording on Jotunbrud and monkey grip, which may be enough to get you large or huge weapons on it's own (forget which) and use sun blades.

I somehow came out dual wielding collossal weapons.

Greenish
2013-02-22, 07:38 AM
Cheese out the technical wording on Jotunbrud and monkey grip, which may be enough to get you large or huge weapons on it's own (forget which) and use sun blades.There is no technical wording by which Jotunbrud could be construed to give you the ability to wield larger weapons.

Delirium Darkan
2013-02-22, 10:40 PM
So according to my calculations, I get a collossal Greatsword that that is sized for an averagely tall gargantuan creature that is 48' tall. And then there are no more calculations because most of them don't make sense. Arms and Equipment have the weight only at being at 50% more per size increase, but no length. So I wonder if I go Sun Blades and beef those since you weild them as short swords that act like bastard swords with special abilities. Then dual wield those and keen them and make them out of Alchemical Gold. Ye Gods. Now only if I could afford that :smallannoyed: