PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different

Alienist
2013-02-20, 01:54 PM
A totally non-hostile query about Dragonwrought Kobolds! Ha! Bet you didn't see that one coming eh?

Table 3-3 on page 39 of RoD:

For the maximum age it says

" +Cha years*
*multiply this number by 10 if metallic, by 5 if chromatic"

Question:
How is this calculated?

Is it Cha mod, or Cha attribute?
Is it multiplied before or after adding it?

Example 1:

I'm a 120 year old Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold with 8 Cha and White Dragon Heritage. Is my maximum age ...

{table]Option | _Age_ | Calculation | Comments
(a) | 595 | = (120 - 1) x 5
(b) | 115 | = 120 + (-1 x 5) | <--- don't make any long term plans!?!?!
(c) | 640 | = (120 + 8) x 5
(d) | 160 | = 120 + (8 x 5) [/table]

Using the power of my Epic Feats I lay the smack down on some crusty old Wizard, and steal his manual of speed-dating-pua +4 to bump my charisma up to 12. Now what is my maximum age?

Option | _Age_ | Calculation | Comments
(a) | 605 | = (120 + 1) x 5
(b) | 125 | = 120 + (1 x 5) | phew :smalleek:
(c) | 660 | = (120 + 12) x 5
(d) | 180 | = 120 + (12 x 5)
(e) | | | Still the same as last time

RollynT.Glal
2013-02-20, 01:59 PM
My understanding of the rule is that the correct answer is (d) for both scenarios. I may be wrong but it seems the one that makes the most sense to me because your maximum age is determined by your Cha mod (once again my interpretation it *could* be Cha ability score) and your draconic type.

Hope this helps!

Xenogears
2013-02-20, 02:01 PM
Since it doesn't say "Cha Mod" I would assume that it means Cha Score (which also removes the possibility of having a negative there). It also says "multiply this number" in direct reference to the mention of your Charisma which makes me think that (d) is the correct response.

Alienist
2013-02-20, 02:21 PM
Since it doesn't say "Cha Mod" I would assume that it means Cha Score (which also removes the possibility of having a negative there). It also says "multiply this number" in direct reference to the mention of your Charisma which makes me think that (d) is the correct response.

The construction "+Cha" appears to be unique. I cannot find anything like it in the SRD.

In the Races of the Dragon book it is almost but not quite unique, page 71 has Draconic and Half-Dragon characters gaining 6 + Int skill points per level.

Everywhere else in the book it is N + Int modifier.

I'm pretty sure that's a typo.

----

NB: apologies for not including the effects of ageing on the stats.
Being a genius, of course I already included the effects of ageing on the stats, what kind of a moron do you think I am? *cough*

Xenogears
2013-02-20, 02:30 PM
The construction "+Cha" appears to be unique. I cannot find anything like it in the SRD.

In the Races of the Dragon book it is almost but not quite unique, page 71 has Draconic and Half-Dragon characters gaining 6 + Int skill points per level.

Everywhere else in the book it is N + Int modifier.

I'm pretty sure that's a typo.

----

NB: apologies for not including the effects of ageing on the stats.
Being a genius, of course I already included the effects of ageing on the stats, what kind of a moron do you think I am? *cough*

Either way I still say that (Cha score * 5 or 10) is the most sensible reading since using (cha mod* 5 or 10) could result in lowering your maximum age to below venerable (which is silly) and multiplying the end result has your maximum age be 5 or more times your age at venerable which is a lot more than most races have (the base races all have a maximum possible age of around 150%-200% of their age at venerable which is around what you would get if you had an "average" cha score of 10.

Marnath
2013-02-20, 04:35 PM
In the draconomicon dragons explicitly get their cha score (50/100 instead of 5/10, because they're real dragons:smalltongue:) to their age, and I see nothing to indicate that the kobold rules weren't intended to model the same thing.