PDA

View Full Version : The Logic of Magic : Detect Secret Doors

silverwolfer
2013-02-20, 04:04 PM
So a small segment I think I will start up, dealing with the humerous topic of logic within d&d.

This weeks topic : Detect Secret Doors

Ability : You can detect secret doors in a 60ft area, and can "focus" really hard to find them, and if you focus just a little more, you can tell what sort of lock or trigger to open said door.

The Humor: How does the spell tell if a door is hidden, or just in the back of the storm room covered by old stuff, in an area no one uses?

How could the spell tell what is hidden and what is just badly put around?

How can the spell much less tell you where the door is, but actualy opens it ?

YAY for magic!

Spuddles
2013-02-20, 04:15 PM
The internet's misuse of the word logic bothers me greatly.

Psyren
2013-02-20, 04:17 PM
Only passages, doors, or openings that have been specifically constructed to escape detection are detected by this spell.

It's right in the spell, the intention of the creator is what determines it to be a "secret door" or not. So a regular door that some boxes happened to fall in front of wouldn't be revealed by this.

As it is divination, reading intent is to be expected.

Ellrin
2013-02-20, 04:17 PM
How does magic work?

It's magic.

Gildedragon
2013-02-20, 04:21 PM
How does the spell tell if a door is hidden, or just in the back of the storm room covered by old stuff, in an area no one uses?

How could the spell tell what is hidden and what is just badly put around?

How can the spell much less tell you where the door is, but actualy opens it ?

YAY for magic!
Yay indeed.
The spell could, say, examine all doors you are not aware of and relay the information to you. It could read psychic imprints and echoes of the door being open, or fill the caster's mind with magical clarity and understanding regarding doors.

And here I was expecting a discussion of the elf ability