View Full Version : Cthulhu is underpowered in DnD 3.5

PrismCat21
2013-02-20, 05:19 PM
That's it! I'm sick of all this "Cthulhu is just a Half-Dragon/Illithid on steroids" bullcrap that's going on in the DnD system right now. Cthulhu deserves much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself am currently investigating a genuine Cult of the Great Old Ones for 2 years now. I have been inducing episodes of self-hypnosis to better align my thoughts with their chaotic beliefs and practices. I can now even see manifestations of parts of Cthulhu itself everywhere I go.

Even the basic concept of Cthulhu drives many people insane. The more you encounters you have with these horrors, the further your insanity slips away, until there is nothing left that could be considered reasonable thought.

Cthulhu is thrice as powerful as the Demon and Devil Lords, and thrice as tough to harm for that matter too. Anything a DnD deity can do, Cthulhu can do better. I'm pretty sure Cthulhu could easily devour both Asmodeus and Demongorgon with barely a thought.

Ever wonder why the entirety of the DnD Pantheon never bothered conquering Cthulhu? That's right, they were too scared to face the cosmic, nightmarish horrors of a Great Old One. The closest that anyone dares to come to challenging Cthulhu, is fighting against its cultists to ensure it is never fully awakened, because its power is so feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Cthulhu is simply the best entity that the multiverse has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Cthulhu:

Cthulhu
(Great Cthulhu)

Colossal aberration (Chaotic, Cosmic, Great Old One)
Hit Dice: 45d8 + 630 (990 hp)
Initiative: +12
Speed:70 feet (14 squares), fly 200 feet (poor)
Armor Class: 47 (+32 natural, +11 insight, +4 dex, -8 size), touch 25, flat-footed 43
Base Attack/Grapple: +33/+76
Attack: claw +48 melee (4d6 +18)
Full Attack: 2 claws +48 melee (4d6 +18) and 6 tentacles + 46 melee (2d6 +9) and one crush + 48 melee (4d8 + 9) or by spell
Space/Reach: 30 ft/40 ft
Special Attacks: dissolving grip, fear, improved grab, improved grapple, spell-like abilities, snatch, spells, summon star spawn,
Special Qualities: change shape. Cosmic awareness. Cosmic entity. Damage reduction 25/epic or axiomatic. Darkvision 60 ft. Fast healing 10. Gaseous shape. Immune to polymorphing, petrification, or any other attack that could alter its form. Immune to energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage. Immune to mind-affecting effects. Immune to poison. Immune to acid, pressure and vacuum. Regeneration 20. Resistance 20 to cold, fire and electricity. Spell resistance 50.
Saves: Fort +40, Ref +30, Will +47
Abilities: Str 46, Dex 18, Con 39, Int 34, Wis 32, Cha 33
Skills: Bluff +46, Climb +33, Concentration +54, Diplomacy +50, Gather Information + 42, Hide +2, Intimidate +56, Knowledge (arcana) + 60, Knowledge (history) +40, Knowledge (local) +34, Knowledge (nature) +34, Knowledge (religion) +60, Knowledge (the planes) +40, Listen +41, Move Silently +4, Search +22, Sense Motive +51, Spellcraft +60, Spot +48, Survival +21, Swim +38, Use Magic Device+30
Feats: combat casting, enlarge spell, extend spell, heighten spell, improved initiative, maximize spell, multiattack, power attack, quicken spell, spell penetration, widen spell
Epic feats: epic spellcasting, improved spell capacity, superior initiative
Climate/Terrain: the sunken city of R'lyeh, prime material plane (Earth, possible connection to other worlds)
Organization: Solitary (unique)
Challenge Rating: 44
Treasure: Triple Standard
Alignment: Chaotic (morally unaligned)

Change shape: While is general overall shape is basically fixed, Cthulhu may warp and modify it, extending or reducing his limbs, tentacles or wings, up to double the original dimensions. He can reduce his body by half to better flight.

Cosmic awareness: even in his sleep, Cthulhu can sense anything within one mile around the mentioning of its name, titles or an item of importance to him for up to one hour after the event. The power is barred by beings with divine ranks or Virtual divine rank of 6 or higher.

Cosmic entity: Cthulhu has a +5 bonus on rank checks

Dissolving grip: Cthulhu can use this ability against opponents grappled, held or snatched. Every round the victim is grappled or held by one of his tentacles, Cthulhu inflicts automatic tentacle damage (constriction damage) and one of the following: rot (loss of 1d4 pts from str, dex and con; those can be recovered only with a restoration spell cast by a 23° level priest), energy drain (1d4 levels; fortitude save DC 43; Cthulhu gains 5 temporary hit points for every negative level he inflicts), madness (loss of 3d6 wisdom points, or 1d6 if the victim succeed in a DC 55 will save; wisdom loss can be recovered only with a restoration spell cast by a 23° level priest) or disintegration (fortitude save, DC 43). Chtulhu can choose the effects every round for each tentacle.
A victim can be hit and grappled/held (and so be exposed to more attacks) by more than one tentacle, depending on their size: huge or larger creatures may be attacked by six tentacles, large by four, medium by two, small and smaller creatures by one.
If Cthulhu has grappled successfully an adversary, with his claws or with one of his tentacles, other tentacles may join the grip, up to the limit for the size as described above, with a cumulative bonus on their to hit roll of +10 for each tentacle wrapped; each tentacle gripping an opponent impose on him a -5 penalty on each successive grapple check. A pinned opponent is automatically hit by the tentacles.

Fear: All creatures within 60 feet of Cthulhu must succeed at a 43 will save. An affected being becomes shaken; also, they must succeed in another will save or lose 1d8 + 5 wisdom points. This can be cured by magical means. Cthulhu may suppress at will the wisdom loss effect.

Gaseous shape: Cthulhu may at will turn himself into a huge cloud of green gas as “gaseous form” spell (but retaining all his immunities and damage reductions). In gaseous shape, Cthulhu's fast healing and regeneration are doubled. If brought to 0 hp or less from damage he can regenerate, he will turn in gaseous state, to reform fully recovered after a couple of minutes.

Improved grab: If Cthulhu hits with a claw or a tentacle an opponent gargantuan or smaller, he deals normal damage and may start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If he wins the grapple check, he may immediately use his Dissolving grip ability, bringing the prey to his tentacles with his claws (in this case, a tentacle must hit the grappled opponent), or wrapping the tentacle against the opponent. Cthulhu may decide to hold a creature grappled: in this case, as per normal rules he has a -20 penalty on his grapple checks but it is not considered grappled himself.

Improved grapple: Cthulhu doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity when starting a grapple, and has a + 4 on his grapple checks.

Spell-like abilities: at will: blast of fire, call lightning, circle of death, create undead, detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, detect magic, detect thoughts, dominate person, dispel magic (greater), locate object, nightmare, see invisibility, telekinesis, unhallow; 3/day: control weather, gate, fire storm, mindrape. Caster level: 56 level; DC 21 + spell level

Snatch: Cthulhu may snatch with his claws a victim large or smaller. If he hits, he deals normal damage and may start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If he wins the grapple check, he may hold the opponent as per normal rules, inflicting squeezing damage automatically and/or bringing him to his tentacles for his Dissolving grip ability.

Spells: Cthulhu casts spells as a 25 level wizard and a 20 level cleric with access to the following domains: Death, Destruction, Madness, Water. Arcane spells per day (0-10): 4/7/7/7/7/6/6/6/6/5/2. DC: 22 + spell level. Divine spells per day (0-9): 6/9/9/9/8/8/7/7/6/6. DC: 21 + spell level
Epic spell slots: 12; spellcraft check taking 10: 70.

summon star spawn: Three times per day, Cthulhu may summon 1-3 star spawns

Description: A living, titanic nightmare 60 feet tall, with the head like a giant squid, a humanoid body covered with scales stronger than steel, long claws on his hands and feet and great, bat-like wings on his back: this is Great Cthulhu, the most powerful of the Great Old Ones of Earth and one of the most powerful in the cosmos. Cthulhu dwells in the dead city of R'lyeh, sunken deep beneath the surface of the Pacific; he is in a sort of living death from where he may awake for short times in particular circumstances, when the stars (and the planes) are right. In the city are also entombed other members of his race; Cthulhu is their high priest and ruler of them all, and by far the most powerful. Cthulhu fully understand the role of primordial chaos in the cosmos, being one of the most powerful servants of Azathoth and closely connected with the great interloper deity Nyarlathotep.
In combat, Cthulhu makes full use of his spells and magic powers. In melee, he enjoys to use his dissolving grip ability, watching his opponents crumble and decay under his power. The combined options of improved grab, improved grapple and snatch are at his disposal to force a victim under his grip (note: Cthulhu has more than six tentacles, but he can only use a maximum of six in combat)

Cthulhu's cults: Cthulhu's cult is the most widespread and popular of all the Great Old Ones cults on Earth. The doctrine is as follows: Cthulhu plunged from the stars with his kin million of years ago, and built a great prehistoric city at R'lyeh, ruling the world. When the stars changed and their continent sank beneath the waves, the city and its inhabitants fell into a death-sleep where they await their reawakening by members of Cthulhu's cult. When R'lyeh rises above the waves, the members of the cult will be required to come to it and open the vast black door behind which he wait to be fully awaken, to finally rise above the world to rule again, together with his faithful. Entire tribes worship Cthulhu, from Eskimos to Lousiana swamp folks. He seems to be more worshipped among sea-folk, or being that live near the sea. He is served also by the deep ones and his star-spawn. Given the regional differences of his cults, he's know with many names, like Tulu, Thu Thu and Ktulu.
Cthulhu has cultists, but has also (in particular in the less remote and more civilized location) a true clergy. He may grant his cultists and priests spells from Death, Destruction, Madness and Water domains.

Cultists special powers: At second level, they gain a +2 bonus on knowledge (arcana) and (the planes) checks. At fourth level, they gain a +2 bonus on will saves. At fifth level the ability to cast the “Nightmare” spell once per week. At sixth level, they can cast once per week the “animate dead” spell. At seventh, they can cast “dominate person” once every three days. At eight, they can cast “feeblemind” once every three days. At tenth, a cultist may summon a star spawn once a week.

Possessions: As a being who come from far interstellar realms and ruled the Earth for millions of years, Cthulhu has a huge array of magic items and artefacts.

Note on cthulhu's grip:
while Cthulhu's multiple attacks make him a deadly foe, his most dramatic attack is with the dissolving grip, made with his tentacles. To explain better how the attack routine work, here's some clarifications and an example.

if Cthulhu hits with a claw, he may choose to snatch (make a grapple check; if he wins, he inflict claw damage automatically each round). Or, he can bring the prey to his tentacles: depending on the size, he may wrap around his victim from one to six tentacles, with a cumulative bonus on the hit roll from his tentacles, round after round until he may constrict and dissolve with all six of them.

In the best (or worse, for an opponent) situation, if he hits with a claw (two possibilities in a full round action) a huge or larger victim, and wins the grapple check, he inflicts grapple damage (1d3 + 18 non-lethal, or lethal with a -4 penalty on grapple checks) and may immediately try to hit with a tentacle. If he hits (with one or more tentacles), he inflicts damage from the tentacle attack and may in the same round constrict and dissolve. The second round, he may try (if he wins again the grapple check – note that each tentacle wrapped around the opponent inflicts a -5 penalty on the opponent's grapple roll) to hit with his remaining tentacles, with a +10 cumulative bonus for each tentacle already wrapped around the victim, while the first tentacle(s) inflicts constriction and dissolving damage, and so on until he has all six tentacles wrapped around the victim.
If the victim is large or smaller, he won't inflict only grapple damage, but full claw damage (thanks to his snatch ability) and may hit and wrap with from one to four tentacle attacks, with the routine described above.

If instead of using a claw, he hits with one of his six tentacles, he may, again, choose to start a grapple attack (six possibilities in a full round attack): if he wins, he may immediately constrict and inflict special (dissolving) damage, and other tentacles may join the attack; in this case, all successive tentacles have a +10 bonus on the attack, and if they hit they will attack at progressively better to hit rolls, inflicting at the same time a penalty on the opponent grapple roll, up to -30 for all six tentacles.

All this against a single opponent; Cthulhu may dissolve multiple victims with his tentacles, depending on their size.

Now that seems a lot more representative of the raw, cosmic power of Cthulhu in real life, don't you think?
tl;dr = Cthulhu needs to be more powerful in DnD.

Of couse... True stats cannot be written up for Cthulhu. Just put 'I Win' in every block. :smalleek:

Stat block by Paolo from phpBB forums

Iamyourking
2013-02-20, 05:36 PM
I'm afraid I don't get what joke you are trying to make. Would you mind explaining?

To elaborate, this is probably about the right strength for Cthulhu as a high-powered Demigod; as he is a Great Old One rather than a true deity. However, this statline is not even the slightest threat to an actual god; and if he tried to devour Asmodeus he would be turned into a Lemure instantly since he cannot possibly make a save against the Overlord's spells and The Lord of the Nine cannot fail a save against any of his attacks.

Tanuki Tales
2013-02-20, 05:39 PM
I'm afraid I don't get what joke you are trying to make. Would you mind explaining?

It's the "Katanas are Underpowered" meme. This came up in the other Cthulhu thread on the front page of this subforum. :smalltongue:

Greenish
2013-02-20, 05:39 PM
I'm afraid I don't get what joke you are trying to make. Would you mind explaining?It's the old "katanas are underpowered" template joke with stats for an eldritch abomination more fit for the homebrew forum (hint, hint).

PrismCat21
2013-02-20, 05:40 PM
It's the "Katanas are Underpowered" meme. This came up in the other Cthulhu thread on the front page of this subforum. :smalltongue:

I got replies faster than I thought. Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

Ravenica
2013-02-20, 05:42 PM
Man what a wimp, the Tarrasque could kick cthulhu's butt...

Iamyourking
2013-02-20, 05:42 PM
Damn it, sorry. I can't believe I missed such a well known meme and then wasted my time explaining. :smallsigh:

Siosilvar
2013-02-20, 06:36 PM
Cthulu's only stat line need be:

Damage: 1d6 investigators per round.

Studoku
2013-02-20, 09:41 PM

Damage: 1d6 investigators per round.
Attack: Nom
Full Attack: Om nom nom

JaronK
2013-02-20, 10:01 PM
Cthulhu was knocked out for all time by a sailboat. Seriously. This guy's not a real threat at all.

JaronK

Tanuki Tales
2013-02-20, 10:17 PM
Cthulhu was knocked out for all time by a sailboat. Seriously. This guy's not a real threat at all.

JaronK

"Briden looked back and went mad, laughing shrilly as he kept on laughing at intervals till death found him one night in the cabin whilst Johansen was wandering deliriously."

"Knowing that the Thing could surely overtake the Alert until steam was fully up, he resolved on a desperate chance... [...] There was a bursting as of an exploding bladder, a slushy nastiness as of a cloven sunfish, a stench as of a thousand opened graves, and a sound that the chronicler could not put on paper. For an instant the ship was befouled by an acrid and blinding green cloud, and then there was only a venomous seething astern; where—God in heaven!—the scattered plasticity of that nameless sky-spawn was nebulously recombining in its hateful original form, whilst its distance widened every second as the Alert gained impetus from its mounting steam."

Yeah...the boat did jack squat long term.

The original story doesn't even explain what happened to Cthulhu after that excerpt; it just mentions that he must be trapped or slumbering again or else the world would be a screaming horror.

The Glyphstone
2013-02-20, 10:27 PM

JaronK

No, he was woken up ahead of schedule, got hit on the head by a steamboat, said 'bugger this for a lark', and hit the snooze button before going back to sleep.

Crinias
2013-02-20, 10:30 PM

JaronK

A steam yacht, actually. And honestly, threat levels depend on the opposition. In Call of Cthulhu he's one of the ultimate big bads because he's a goddamn eldritch abomination and we're baseline humans.

I would assume that in D&D, to conserve the threat level, he'd either have no statblock at all for his true form, or godlike stats for an avatar or something.

And do recall that he's not knocked out for all time. Jeez, that's something that the story should make perfectly clear, it's not that hard to comprehend.

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.... what has risen may sink, and what has sunk may rise.

Starbuck_II
2013-02-20, 10:52 PM
No, he was woken up ahead of schedule, got hit on the head by a steamboat, said 'bugger this for a lark', and hit the snooze button before going back to sleep.

See, as an eldritch Horror Glyph probably met him once and knows.

So really I don't get why people/designers need to buff his HD/hp. Isn't the regeneration and fast and DR he has enough?

Agent 451
2013-02-20, 11:17 PM
Don't forget that he/she/it can also be easily defeated by the power of children's breakfast cereal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gomjc1wOonE).

In order to combat this I suggest Eldritch Horror Power Armor:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-d7bafoAVEwM/Tej7DUftl2I/AAAAAAAAAck/Ajn2vCIJVXs/s1600/CthulhuPowerArmor.jpg

Scow2
2013-02-20, 11:27 PM
A steam yacht, actually. And honestly, threat levels depend on the opposition. In Call of Cthulhu he's one of the ultimate big bads because he's a goddamn eldritch abomination and we're baseline humans.

I would assume that in D&D, to conserve the threat level, he'd either have no statblock at all for his true form, or godlike stats for an avatar or something.

And do recall that he's not knocked out for all time. Jeez, that's something that the story should make perfectly clear, it's not that hard to comprehend.

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.... what has risen may sink, and what has sunk may rise.

The thing is... Lovecraft is Cosmic Horror, while D&D is Conan-esque Heroic Fantasy. Robert E. Howard and H. P. Lovecraft often corresponded with their works, and many of Lovecraft's Eldritch Abominations got their asses handed to them by Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian.

Tanuki Tales
2013-02-20, 11:57 PM
The thing is... Lovecraft is Cosmic Horror, while D&D is Conan-esque Heroic Fantasy. Robert E. Howard and H. P. Lovecraft often corresponded with their works, and many of Lovecraft's Eldritch Abominations got their asses handed to them by Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian.

Do you mean Shuma-Gorath? Because he was Howard's creation, not Lovecraft's.

AuraTwilight
2013-02-21, 02:31 AM
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself am currently investigating a genuine Cult of the Great Old Ones for 2 years now. I have been inducing episodes of self-hypnosis to better align my thoughts with their chaotic beliefs and practices. I can now even see manifestations of parts of Cthulhu itself everywhere I go.

Aw, sweet, I didn't know there were CoC LARPers out there! How do you work out SAN loss?

Ashtagon
2013-02-21, 02:39 AM

Damage: 1d20 investigators per round.

ftfy. This is a d20-based game after all. 1d6 would simply be underpowered anyway.

TiaC
2013-02-21, 02:43 AM
Cthulhu is thrice as powerful as the Demon and Devil Lords, and thrice as tough to harm for that matter too. Anything a DnD deity can do, Cthulhu can cut do better. I'm pretty sure Cthulhu could easily devour both Asmodeus and Demongorgon with barely a thought.
You left a cut in there.

SowZ
2013-02-21, 02:44 AM
While I see that you are not being serious, I'd like to point out that Cthulhu can be incapacitated by a boat hitting him. Doesn't scream of power greater than the divine in D&D to me.

Pancritic
2013-02-21, 03:08 AM
This was funny, although part of me was hoping you would've gone the route of:

"I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine Cthulhu in R'lyeh for 9001 SAN (that's about $3) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even devour whole investigators with my Cthulhu."

(also, you seem to have accidentally left a superfluous "cut" verb in paragraph four)

Tanuki Tales
2013-02-21, 03:11 AM
While I see that you are not being serious, I'd like to point out that Cthulhu can be incapacitated by a boat hitting him. Doesn't scream of power greater than the divine in D&D to me.

Read further up the thread.

Said boat incapacitated him for barely any length of time. If we assume it was only capable of about 8 miles an hour, then it was moving somewhere around 12 feet a second. Cthulhu was already completely re-integrating himself by the time that the ship had cleared the gore cloud. He most likely completely healed himself in the span of rounds.

PrismCat21
2013-02-21, 03:33 AM
Cut the 'Cut', Thank you for catching it.

This was funny, although part of me was hoping you would've gone the route of:

I wanted to be a little different than most of the others out there. - and I didn't think of anything this good. :elan:

Eldan
2013-02-21, 04:36 AM
I never understood the "drive everyone insane" bit. One guy saw him. After being shipwrecked, half-starved and dehydrated, he was still coherent enough to tell the story. The only other thing he did was give a few people across the world weird dreams.

JaronK
2013-02-21, 04:40 AM
Read further up the thread.

Said boat incapacitated him for barely any length of time. If we assume it was only capable of about 8 miles an hour, then it was moving somewhere around 12 feet a second. Cthulhu was already completely re-integrating himself by the time that the ship had cleared the gore cloud. He most likely completely healed himself in the span of rounds.

Actually he never seems to have awakened again after that nasty head bump. He's very much down for the count.

JaronK

SowZ
2013-02-21, 05:20 AM
I concur with Jaron. When I read the story, it seemed to very much imply that while humans may be totally incapable of killing Cthulhu, the steam ship knocked him out. It was the climax of the story and I think it is clear that without the boat smack, Cthulhu would have risen.

Now, 100 years to Cthulhu may be like a few seconds to a human. So its possible it just slowed him down a miniscule amount in his mind. That doesn't change that a boat smacking into him put him back under for a at least a human lifetime.

HunterOfJello
2013-02-21, 05:46 AM
Most of Cthulhu's incarnations are underpowered in general. You have to remember, that mofo's still sleeping. If he, or any of the old gods, ever fully wake up and make it to Earth, everything is already over. A properly optimized level 20 Wizard might be able to take him, but a group of Tier 4 characters aren't going to have a chance.

Ravens_cry
2013-02-21, 06:12 AM
C'thulhu as powerful as they need to be. If you are playing a game with level 20 wizards, it will take a last ditch hail mary to stop C'thulhu.
If it's Vanilla Mortals in a d20 Modern game, it will take a last ditch hail mary to stop C'thulhu.
What form it will take will vary, but it always will be risky and desperate, and also likely suicidal for at least someone.

Frozen_Feet
2013-02-21, 06:50 AM
Cthulhu is perhaps one the best examples of "memetic badass". In Lovecraft's mythos, this thing is just a priest to the actually threatening stuff. It's not very high in the cosmic totem pole of his works. In D&D, it could be very well be modeled as a Phrenic Pseudonatural Half-dragon Giant Squid. I'm not sure what that adds to, but I'm fairly sure it's not even close to CR 20.

A horrifying beast from beyond the stars to a level 3 Expert with ranks in Profession (Sailor), brunch to a ECL 15 Fighter carrying a small kingdom's worth of magical armaments.

Eldan
2013-02-21, 07:03 AM
Hm. Perhaps a Kraken instead of a Giant Squid, but yes, that should do it.

Maybe Half-Farspawn, instead of Pseudonatural.

Tanuki Tales
2013-02-21, 11:51 AM
Actually he never seems to have awakened again after that nasty head bump. He's very much down for the count.

JaronK

So your entire argument is based on the fact Cthulhu remained slumbering not because the stars had yet to enter the right alignment, but because of a steam boat that inconvenienced him for a few brief minutes at most? :smallconfused:

I concur with Jaron. When I read the story, it seemed to very much imply that while humans may be totally incapable of killing Cthulhu, the steam ship knocked him out.

And where are you reading this implication? Because I don't see it.

It was the climax of the story and I think it is clear that without the boat smack, Cthulhu would have risen.

Or he would have went back to sleep because the stars had yet to be aligned right and it was not yet time for him to rise.

Now, 100 years to Cthulhu may be like a few seconds to a human. So its possible it just slowed him down a miniscule amount in his mind. That doesn't change that a boat smacking into him put him back under for a at least a human lifetime.

We don't know that. The story never mentions what happened with Cthulhu after he began to regenerate, just that he was not present in anyway when the "authorities" went to search the area.

Togo
2013-02-21, 12:05 PM
The Cthulu mythos contains a great deal of variation in their power of their entities. Cthulu is a creature held in eternal slumber by the power of the elder gods themselves, who have literally rearranged the cosmos to keep him under. That's why it's only when the 'stars are right' that he can rise. The reason why the steam boat went through him not because he's vulnerable to boats, but because he's not all that solid. Other sources have him withstanding direct nuclear strikes.

By contrast Y'golonac is held prisoner by a brick wall in an old ruin. The wall is big and heavy, and he can't get through.

It's a horror game. If you're statting Cthulu up, you've missed the point somewhere along the line.

HunterOfJello
2013-02-21, 01:14 PM
The reason why the steam boat went through him not because he's vulnerable to boats,

No no, that must be it! He's vulnerable to boats! Everyone start building airships and place them strategically around the planet!

ShurikVch
2013-02-21, 01:21 PM
{{scrubbed}}

Ashtagon
2013-02-21, 01:27 PM
From the Call of Cthulhu d20:

Dude, you do know there are rules against posting large tracts of copyrighted material here, right?

Also, the fact that you posted that shows you missed the joke.

Morbis Meh
2013-02-21, 01:34 PM
As a DM who enjoys throwing in cosmic entities I follow this code: If you stat it the PC's will try to kill it. Spoony spoke of this and i agree, if you want some uber divine entity to be involved in anygame never stat it because after that point you have locked in their potential where as not statting leaves them flexible. Yes it is DM fiat but hey if you don't want something dead that's plot relevant just don't stat it.

Xerxus
2013-02-21, 01:34 PM
Face my army of lvl 13 wizards! Fingers of death all around! 5% risk of dying every time!

EDIT:With rods of greater extend of course!

Shining Wrath
2013-02-21, 01:36 PM
Cthulhu is freed from prison when the stars are right.

How strong Cthulhu is may well depend upon how right the stars are.

The "You fools ... this isn't even my final form!" trope probably works, too.

ahenobarbi
2013-02-21, 01:46 PM
{{scrubbed}}

Drackstin
2013-02-21, 01:51 PM
i always thought that Cthulhu was just another name/form of dagon

Togo
2013-02-21, 02:09 PM
Maybe. And 'eldrich' literally just means 'oblong'. :smalltongue:

A friend of mine answering lovecraftian questions on a quiz show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi8OaGJUa6U

Starbuck_II
2013-02-21, 02:13 PM
The reason why the steam boat went through him not because he's vulnerable to boats, but because he's not all that solid. Other sources have him withstanding direct nuclear strikes.

Yeah, but neither are those are the original author. Lovecraft wasn't around to see Nuclear strikes so those are just official fan ficfiction.

Tanuki Tales
2013-02-21, 02:39 PM
Yeah, but neither are those are the original author. Lovecraft wasn't around to see Nuclear strikes so those are just official fan ficfiction.

What is the cannonicty of Public Domain works though?

Immabozo
2013-02-21, 03:46 PM
If Cthulhu is the perfect specimen of his species, add the paragon template, that will make him loads better.

But his butt is still kick by this bunny (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251102)

Bogardan_Mage
2013-02-21, 07:41 PM
I never understood the "drive everyone insane" bit. One guy saw him. After being shipwrecked, half-starved and dehydrated, he was still coherent enough to tell the story. The only other thing he did was give a few people across the world weird dreams.
I blame Chaosium and their system of numerically quantifiable sanity.

Techmagss
2013-02-21, 08:14 PM
Good thing I have a narwhal.

Dark_Ansem
2014-01-08, 06:09 AM
more interest on this please? can someone update the deities?

ahenobarbi
2014-01-08, 10:28 AM
{{scrubbed}}

Rogue Shadows
2014-01-08, 10:49 AM
I'm with Conan on this one. Anything that wants to act on the material world has to cloak itself in material form, and anything cloaked in a material form can be slain by material weapons.

Fax Celestis
2014-01-08, 10:57 AM
Well, FWIW, here is my Cthulhu statblock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9666067&postcount=10).

Darth Stabber
2014-01-08, 12:05 PM
The original for those curious

That’s it. I’m sick of all this “Masterwork Bastard Sword” bull**** that’s going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that. I should know what I’m talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that’s about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana. Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I’m pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash. Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That’s right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected. So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas: (One-Handed Exotic Weapon) 1d12 Damage 19-20 x4 Crit +2 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork (Two-Handed Exotic Weapon) 2d10 Damage 17-20 x4 Crit +5 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don’t you think? tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

danzibr
2014-01-08, 06:50 PM
Well, FWIW, here is my Cthulhu statblock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9666067&postcount=10).
Is that supposed to be for Chtulhu himself?

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-01-08, 07:28 PM
What is the cannonicty of Public Domain works though?

Generally, it would be the works of the original author. That was the standard everyone else was previously adhering to in the thread. Anyone that wanted to add further works to the discussion should at least site an author and title, so that others can decide how much weight it deserves.

Even the authors that were contemporary with Lovecraft and who are generally the go to source in expanding the cannon, got a lot wrong on a very core level; bringing in elemental themes, white hats that oppose the Yog-Shothoth pantheon and closer ties to ancient religions. Your comment may have been meant in jest, but Lovecraft-Cthulhu is a subject of serious study and there is a correct answer.