PDA

View Full Version : Firefall - is it any good?

Psyren
2013-02-20, 08:51 PM
I love shooters. I love MMOs. So naturally, I'm keenly interested in Firefall. So much so that I'm going to plunk down some cash for their quasi-kickstartery-preordery-thing and join the beta.

What I want to know before I do though, is what everyone else thinks. Has anyone played it yet? Seen any previews, articles or other news I should take a look at first? Any good gameplay videos so I know what I'm getting into?

Am I getting my hopes up for nothing or could this be the next big thing, Playground? :smalltongue:

(If there's already a Firefall thread I apologize - I didn't see one.)

Hiro Protagonest
2013-02-20, 09:10 PM
Having just looked at their website... AI-controlled enemy, art style that doesn't appeal... unless they have destructible terrain or you have a reason for wanting NPCs in your MMOFPS, I'd stick with Planetside 2. And it's free (you can just pay seven dollars to unlock a new gun if you want to support the devs. Or five dollar camo/helmet).

Kesnit
2013-02-21, 08:08 PM
I got a beta key a while ago and played one weekend. I didn't play a lot (and didn't PvP), so can't speak all too much about it. If you like FPS, you will probably like it. In one respect, it is your typical MMO (go here, kill this). The ability to swap out suits is pretty cool.

iyaerP
2013-02-22, 12:50 PM
Honestly, it feels like Tribes knocked up Borderlands who gave birth in the MMO ward of the hospital, but the baby got dropped on its head and can't do mobility based combat as well as its father, or special activated powers and looting as well as its mother. Oh, and the combat is mediocre at best.

I gave up on it after a couple days in their beta. It has potential, and I might check it out again in say 6 months to see if it has improved in that timeframe, but if it is the jetpacking that appeals to you? Go play Tribes. If it is the activated special powers that you like, go play borderlands. If it is the MMOFPS that you like? As was already said PS2 does it better.

Kesnit
2013-02-22, 07:18 PM
If you want to find out for yourself, they are running an open beta weekend this weekend.