PDA

View Full Version : How do I illustrate the power of my villains?

Jallorn
2013-02-20, 08:57 PM
I've got a campaign that involves two sets of bad guy, Dopplegangers and Vampires, coming into conflict over who gets to control human society from the shadows. Both are supposed to be bad guys, and I have established some connections within the party to both groups (yes, I am hoping to stir up some inter party conflict (though there's been some unintentional conflict for other reasons)).

Right now, the players know about the dopplegangers, and one of them knows about the vampires (the one with connections). However, I haven't yet illustrated the full scope of the Dopplegangers' power, and want to make my players fear both organizations, as both are as evil as they get in my setting (I prefer white and gray morality). Got any advice Playground?

On a related note, I would love some ideas for npc allies for my party. They are currently working for the thieves' guild that's controlled by the vampires, but I'm going to try to push them into a broader context soon, especially as they're approaching the end of this first mission. I've only illustrated one character to them so far who's not an enemy, and he's been pretty bland so far. He's their handler. I know I want to make him more interesting and colorful, and I'm thinking of having him put them in touch with a fence. Any other ideas?

Sith_Happens
2013-02-20, 09:02 PM
What kind of power is it you want to demonstrate? The personal power of an individual doppleganger, or the political power of their conspiracy?

Jallorn
2013-02-20, 09:04 PM
Wow, that was fast, thanks.

Both, but more so the power of the organization, and the threat that it could pose to the PCs. Right now they view it as an asset (one of the party members is a Changeling working for the Dopplegangers), but I want them to worry about it as a group that doesn't always have the PC's best interests in mind.

A Tad Insane
2013-02-20, 09:15 PM
For the dopplegangers, I would say the assassination of an infuleuntial person in the pc's face, along with everyone in the room, and then taking over that person's sphere of power without anyone questioning anything. The vampires could turn an entire town in one night, bu that might be a bit to blunt and brutish

Science Officer
2013-02-20, 09:59 PM
The thieves' guild has a job for the PCs. It will, be difficult, it will be dangerous, but it could very well be worth it. A powerful, wealthy nobleman/wizard/knight has very valuable [items] tucked away in their villa/tower/keep. There are high walls, well-trained and well-armed guards, and perhaps some more magical defenses. But the thieves' guild knows a way in, and the PCs are just the ones to exploit it.

So they do. It all goes according to plan. They breach the walls, bypass the defenses, and have reached the inner sanctum when all of a sudden... an alarm is raised. Guards come rushing in, in intimidating numbers. The PCs should be panicking. They can't face a force like this; they've been caught unawares.

[Now, hopefully, the PCs have the good sense to hide. This won't happen: they'll try to fight, and this is why this plan won't work, but just bear with me a little longer]

This powerful, influential individual who the PCs have been trying to rob, whose home they are just now in the process of burglarising, leads the guards into their chambers/vault/safe room. The sounds of a battle are heard.
And once more the PCs spot their mark, this time leaving the strong-hold, covered in blood. The mark doesn't see the PCs, and easily evades any attempts to make contact.

The PCs enter the site of the battle and find the guards, all dead... as well as the mark's carcass there too. But now more forces are coming to investigate and the PCs do not want to be caught red-handed.

The exact timing of it can be changed, but the basic idea of:
-burglary of a wealthy, powerful mark
-formidable, intimidating force between PCs and objective
-this force is/will be/has already been dealt with by a doppleganger
-doppleganger's interference has consequences for PCs

Basically, having the doppleganger(s) do something the PCs thought they would have a hard time doing.
I don't know. I liked the idea.

EDIT: guess it works for vamps as well, save for the face-sharing bit.

Barmoz
2013-02-20, 10:27 PM
Imagine it's like the mafia. Maybe the pc's mess with someone who is paying for protection, interfered with a heist, or accidentally disrespected the wrong person (funny like a clown?). The mob might give you a warning and a chance to make things right, but they'd do it in a way that would let you know they were very very serious, horsehead in the bed with you kind of serious. Have someone they'd never suspect show up in a place they feel completely safe and hidden to deliver the message so the PC's know that things are serious.

Grundy
2013-02-21, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I'd have it be an informational type of threat- they know everything, they're everywhere, and they could be anybody! Have them get clues or contacts from they most unlikely places and people. Let them know that the doppelgängers know Way too much for the pcs own good, and that the party will always owe them a favor. You always always owe them a favor.

ArcturusV
2013-02-21, 12:54 AM
Well... I'd avoid having the PCs directly witness anything your Doppleganger Gang actually does. DMing experience tells me that if you intend to do it as some sort of cutscene where the players are merely a witness... they will do something to completely derail the point in question.

Perhaps the best method is to find a NPC of note in the Party's past. Maybe some local lordling they kissed up to. Have some of the random rumors they hear mention about how he's gone kinda "Strange" lately. Mysterious circumstances, etc. Maybe a new person in that NPC's life that is typically to blame.

"Oh, did you hear about the Duke? Gone kinda nutty lately." "Yeah. They say it's all that new wife of his from the Westlands, odd duck that one but she has the Duke's ear, among other things." "Yeah, heard they were rounding up every psychic in the area, burning them at the stake and throwing them off towers. Not like the Duke, he always was quite friendly with the Psychics. Must be that strange new woman of his influencing him."

Keep dropping hints like that. Have it seem like the "Wife" or whoever is a vampire. Or someone the Party met at some point who no longer really recognizes them or acts blatantly differently. It creates a plot where they will typically end up trying to crusade and "Free" the Duke from the Evil Vampire Succubus Wife who is Ruining Everything Good, etc, etc, etc. Things foolish players eat up.

Have it actually be the Duke that is a Doppleganger, the Wife was just a convenient ploy to get access (Doppleganger was originally one of the Wife's servants, etc). The Wife was a scapegoat being used by the Duke and those he was influencing to spread Doppleganger initiatives and policies.

I picked Psychics in there for the purge because... well... if I was a shapeshifting identity stealer someone being able to read my mind and know I was not who I claimed to be would probably be up near the top of my "Put a Boot in their Ass" list.

the_david
2013-02-21, 12:55 AM
Kill one of the PCs, then tell the party he was a doppelganger all along. Trust me, before you know it they'l be so paranoid that they start killing each other.

You should read Second Variety. I used it for a one-shot (twice) and it had wonderful results!

http://rpggeek.com/thread/793181/d20-modern-second-variety

NM020110
2013-02-21, 01:51 AM
For the doppelgangers...

Do the PCs listen to rumors very often? It might work to set about a few rumors of the party's actions...things that they haven't done. Having a local baron compliment them on a recent success while they're being hired, for storming a keep they've never seen. A bartender congratulating them for wiping out a local bandit camp and returning without a scratch.

An assassin hired to take revenge for a slight never committed, by a person they've never seen.

Depending on how much attention they pay, what is happening might not be obvious at first, but it seems like your doppelgangers favor subtlety anyway.

endoperez
2013-02-21, 10:13 AM
Here's an interesting scenario for you, from the Young Justice cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ztzd8vSOw

For the vampire side:

1) Lobo is a white-skinned, supernatural dude with attitude that comes in during the night, kills the mook-guards, ignores everything the PCs do, does his job, and goes home.
2) All the time he's saying he's just doing this 'cause he's got a contract, and he doesn't care.
3) He's assaulting the Secretary General of the United Nations, or something similar. Who's bossy enough to just march in and do whatever he pleases with that sort of organization?
4) Now imagine if the guys who hired him were bossy enough to make him leave a calling card. "You know we did it. There's nothing you can do about it. Cheers."

For the doppelganger side:

If this is taking place in a fantasy world, it's the capital city and the secretary general is a high-ranking member of the court. Crown Prince, maybe, even the King. Perhaps a religious or military leader. Now imagine if that person was revealed to be a doppelganger - if he's one, anyone might be one. You can't trust anyone, ever.