PDA

View Full Version : Non Magic Alchemy/Herbalism

Keljoric Tulkas
2013-02-20, 09:18 PM
I am currently looking to make an Alchemist/Herbalist for a no magic campaign...

I have a few ideas for making Alchemy weapons and non magic potions but would love some input on other peoples ideas and some adjustment ideas for some of my own creations.

The first item I came up with was a solution to lack of healing potions.

Light Pain Relief - 1d6 + 1/2 per rank in alchemy temporary HP, last 5 rounds
Med Pain Relief - 2d6 + 1/2 per rank of alchemy temporary HP, last 5 rounds
Major Pain Relief - 3d6 + 1/2 per rank of alchemy temporary HP, last 5 rounds

HP gained this way are lost first.

If more then 3 potions are consumed within 24hr the character experiances "Addiction Withdrawl" and sufers a -1 to an attribute (decided on roll of 1d6)

I have currently not worked out a craft (alchemy) DC or a creation cost for these items but would love some input

Crenshaw
2013-02-22, 01:52 AM
I like this idea. I'd expand on it further though. Maybe use different herbs for different potions and salves. Salves could be used on wounds over a night of rest of increase natural healing while they sleep, that could scale with level. Perhaps different herbs or roots could help with dealing with poison or disease effects, like giving bonuses to the secondary saves when they pop up if ingested beforehand; they could also be used to heal ability damage and the like. Just some of the possibilities. I would suggest some kind of gathering skill check to find them in the woods, or comparable amount to purchase in a store as it would to prepare a potion or scroll of similar type.

Keljoric Tulkas
2013-02-24, 03:26 PM
I like the idea of the healing salves. I hadn't really decided on now to speed up the natural healing process.

I was going to use the Profession (Herbalist) skill to cover the gathering aspect of the ingredients. Some of the ingredients will no doubt be worth more or take more time to gather.

I would also put a monetary cost with the creation to stop the players from just attaining a near unlimited supply of potions and salves.

My theory was also to allow "batch" Crafting and with a higher DC roll the player could then create more Items a day then just the one allowed by standard rules.. it always annoyed me that it takes a week to make what amounts to a beer bottle full of gas and styrofoam.