PDA

View Full Version : Official PS4 Specs unveiled

Antonok
2013-02-20, 10:28 PM
Apologies if this should be in the Media section, wasn't quite sure which one it went to.

So, Sony officially announced the specs for the PS4 today. Expected release date is sometime this holiday season.

Specs: (translated from main site here. (http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221a.pdf)

Main Processor:
Single-chip custom processor.
CPU: x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores
GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-gen Radeon™ based graphics engine

Memory: GDDR5 8GB

HDD: Built in

Optical Drive (read only):
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV

I/O: Super-speed USB (USB 3.0), AUX

Communication:

Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1(EDR)

AV Output:
HDMI
Analog-AV Output
Digital Output(optical)

Also something interesting: (from IGN) here. (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/20/playstation-4-revealed)

Cerny said the platform is "by game creators for game creators" and that its architecture is "like a PC, but supercharged." PS4 uses the X86 CPU and has 8GB of memory and a local hard drive. It uses APU technology and GDDR5 memory, which is typically reserved for "top of the line, high end graphics cards."

The pillars of PS4 are Simple, Immediate, Social, Integrated and Personalized. PlayStation 4 supports suspending and reloading play sessions. The console has a secondary chip for uploading and downloading in the background. Digital games can be played as they are being downloaded.

There was also something from here (http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/ps4-dualshock-4-and-playstation-4-eye-official-specs-revealed) that piqued my interest if I interpreted it correctly. (picture 13 of the slideshow)

From how I read it it seems like you'll be able to connect a single console to multiple TVs and be able to play multiplayer games from the same console, with each player having their own TV. (I'm more then likely just wishfully thinking on that one)

Zevox
2013-02-20, 10:34 PM
I have absolutely no idea what any of the specs mean, so that part pretty much doesn't matter to me. From what I've been able to find there was no mention of release date or price though, no? Those would be the part I'm interested in.

Well, those and the games, and they gave a few of those, but nothing catching my interest just yet. Couple of new IPs that the trailers told me very little about, a new Infamous sequel (I have yet to play the existing two games in that series), and Diablo 3, but that one is also going to get a PS3 version anyway. Guess that'll allow me to try Diablo 3 at least, though if it keeps the "always online" aspect I heard so much about, I may decide not to bother.

Antonok
2013-02-20, 10:40 PM
Price I've heard rumors (anything from 400-750$) about but nothing official.

The release date I've seen a few different sites say its this holiday season but nothing actually confirmed. Though it wouldn't surprise me if they did, seeing as sony could use the boost

Basically, those specs are near what top end computers are today. The 8gig RAM is a nice change compared to the PS3s 512MB. Just wish it said exactly how big the harddrive was since an 80gig ps3 filled up quite quickly.

Eliirae
2013-02-21, 03:58 AM
I've been hearing rumors of the PS4 not being backwards compatible with PS3, PS2, PS1 games. If that's true, that's a serious blow towards the console, since it essentially means you won't be able to use the PS4 for gaming until more than the two launch titles come out.

Iskandar
2013-02-21, 05:08 AM
Not being backwards compatible to the PS2 and Ps1 wouldn't be a big problem, not being backwards compatible to the PS3 would.

However it would also be fairly understandable if it isn't. Being backwards compatible is a pain, and can bog down the current console to support the old, and there are always, always, glitches, which can infuriate consumers (see the problems the PS3 had with being backwards compatible to the PS2)

The balance point is that the biggest draw for a new console is the games, and quality titles tend to be somewhat scarce for some time after launch. Being able to go "oh yeah, and it will also run all of the PS3's vast library of great games" would be a welcome boost there.

Somewhat amusingly, the PS4 will be missing one of the biggest features that the PS3 had for a while. For about the first year or so of the PS3's life, it had the distinction of being the cheapest, or nearly the cheapest, blu ray player around. In fact, that was my primary interest in purchasing it. It played blu rays, and had Netflix. It was a gaming console second for the longest time for me.

Hunter Noventa
2013-02-21, 08:35 AM
I've been hearing rumors of the PS4 not being backwards compatible with PS3, PS2, PS1 games. If that's true, that's a serious blow towards the console, since it essentially means you won't be able to use the PS4 for gaming until more than the two launch titles come out.

There's been some speculation about some kind of cloud-based backwards compatibility, just like you can download PS1 and PS2 games off the PSN I guess.

What this means for your existing library of said games (I've got plenty of PS1 and PS2 games myself) remains to be seen.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I certainly won't be buying at launch, but I'm not going with an automatic 'No' either.

The fact that it will NOT lock out used games is good news too. (http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/sonys-yushida-used-games-can-play-on-a-ps4/)

Avilan the Grey
2013-02-21, 08:43 AM
Looking at these specs it seems that my 1˝ year old PC has it beat, still. (except resolution, I can "only" do 1600x900). When the PS3 came out, it was top of the line (although a stupid choice for architecture). PS4 is an "above average gaming PC".

Another question: If both the new Xbox and the new PS4 uses X86 architecture... Why not just make them compatible? :smallwink::smalltongue:

Iskandar
2013-02-21, 12:15 PM
Yeah, but it never was about the specs. Or at least it shouldn't be. A well tuned PC will ALWAYS, ALWAYS beat the stuffing out of a console. Especially since console hardware remains static for years at a time, where PC specs evolve constantly.

What matters is games, and gameplay. There are just some genres of games that are simply better on a console (the converse is also true, I would never want to play a platformer on a PC, for the most part, nor would I want to play a FPS on a console)

As far as that goes, ignoring possible backwards compatibility, there just isn't enough games available at launch that interest me. The new InFamous is fairly awesome, and there are a few more coming soon that also catch my eye, but not enough to justify purchasing a new console.

I'll probably do what I did for the PS3, wait for the first price drop and pick one up. Of course, the PS4 doesn't have the main draw of why I picked up the PS3. At the time of purchase, my PS3 was almost the cheapest stand alone Blu Ray player available. That plus Netflix made it a worthwhile purchase, its use as a game console was pretty much a secondary concern.

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-21, 01:07 PM
Is it too late to hand in mu WiiU?:smallsigh:

Avilan the Grey
2013-02-21, 02:50 PM
Yeah, but it never was about the specs. Or at least it shouldn't be. A well tuned PC will ALWAYS, ALWAYS beat the stuffing out of a console. Especially since console hardware remains static for years at a time, where PC specs evolve constantly.

My point was actually more selfish: As long as the specs for the next gen consoles don't overtake my PC by a lot, I will be able to play the newest games without a problem.

Eldonauran
2013-02-21, 03:34 PM

I simply won't be upgrading to a PS4 unless it was fully backwards compatible. I don't mean being able to purchase previous games on the online store. I mean 'stick-in-my-ps1-or-ps2-discs-that-i-still-own-and-play-them' compatible. I don't care if it costs extra. I'd pay it to get it all in one system. I did the same thing with the launch 60gig models of the PS3. It had ps2 compatibility and i still make use of it.

I'd tolerate digital downloads for a handheld game system but not for something that I leave at home, with all my games. Vita, yes. PS4, no.

Avilan the Grey
2013-02-21, 03:56 PM
I simply won't be upgrading to a PS4 unless it was fully backwards compatible.

I can't see how it CAN be compatible since it's a completely change in architecture.

And again... If all three (PC, Xbox, PS) will have the PC architecture... why not make the games cross platform? :smalltongue:

Trazoi
2013-02-21, 04:09 PM
I can't see how it CAN be compatible since it's a completely change in architecture.
Would it be feasible to emulate the earlier consoles on the PS4 hardware, at least for the PS1 and PS2?

I never got a PlayStation (any number), but backward compatibility across the whole range over discs would make it worth considering this time round so I can try the games I missed.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-02-21, 04:11 PM
Is it too late to hand in mu WiiU?:smallsigh:

Keep it. First-party Nintendo titles are only available on Nintendo consoles. The Wii suffered from being aimed at casual "gamers" (I hesitate to use the word because Totalbiscuit has recounted how back when he was working at a game story, people, usually moms, came into the store and asked for "the bowling game"), but it still had a good selection of games, in no small part due to backwards compatibility with the Gamecube.

WiiU is already looking to be better. ZombieU looks like a fairly good game, and they're starting to take in more third-party titles.

Zevox
2013-02-21, 04:15 PM
I simply won't be upgrading to a PS4 unless it was fully backwards compatible.
Then you won't be getting one, because it isn't backwards compatible at all. In fact, even PSN titles (http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/sony-psn-games-wont-transfer-to-ps4/) won't transfer to the PS4, apparently because it's so different from previous systems. Being as my understanding of the inner workings of pieces of technology like this is basically nil I can't explain why that would be or what their explanation means myself, but there it is.

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-21, 04:21 PM
Keep it. First-party Nintendo titles are only available on Nintendo consoles. The Wii suffered from being aimed at casual "gamers" (I hesitate to use the word because Totalbiscuit has recounted how back when he was working at a game story, people, usually moms, came into the store and asked for "the bowling game"), but it still had a good selection of games, in no small part due to backwards compatibility with the Gamecube.

WiiU is already looking to be better. ZombieU looks like a fairly good game, and they're starting to take in more third-party titles.

Mainly im scared that developers will dump it since they will have access to a stronger pony.

Eldonauran
2013-02-21, 04:38 PM
Then you won't be getting one, because it isn't backwards compatible at all. In fact, even PSN titles (http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/sony-psn-games-wont-transfer-to-ps4/) won't transfer to the PS4, apparently because it's so different from previous systems. Being as my understanding of the inner workings of pieces of technology like this is basically nil I can't explain why that would be or what their explanation means myself, but there it is.

:smallwink:

Yeah, I pretty much guessed this. Doesn't phase me at all. There are thousands of PS2 games that I have yet to play, that will literally take me over a decade to get through. I can wait. Any important titles that pop up that might garner my attention will most likely have a PC port and I am an avid PC gamer. I won't miss out.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-02-21, 04:58 PM
:smallwink:

Yeah, I pretty much guessed this. Doesn't phase me at all. There are thousands of PS2 games that I have yet to play, that will literally take me over a decade to get through. I can wait. Any important titles that pop up that might garner my attention will most likely have a PC port and I am an avid PC gamer. I won't miss out.

Except for, y'know, any JRPG ever.

Zevox
2013-02-21, 05:00 PM
Except for, y'know, any JRPG ever.
Or more accurately, any Japanese-made game of any type ever, with only a handful of exceptions.

Eldonauran
2013-02-21, 05:08 PM
Or more accurately, any Japanese-made game of any type ever, with only a handful of exceptions.

Bah, with the invention of youtube, I can watch someone's Let's Play of a particular game (until they make that illegal) instead of buying it for myself. Doesn't work for a lot of people but I've watched a few games that I couldn't stomach playing through.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-02-21, 05:18 PM
Bah, with the invention of youtube, I can watch someone's Let's Play of a particular game (until they make that illegal) instead of buying it for myself. Doesn't work for a lot of people but I've watched a few games that I couldn't stomach playing through.

I tried watching Persona 4. I decided I'd much rather wait a couple years for the price of PS3s to drop, and actually play the game myself.

The only game I've watched without the intention of buying later is Asura's Wrath (well, okay, maybe Bastion too. The gameplay is decent, but it's a short game and it's mostly about the story). And the only Let's Plays I've finished watching are Bastion and King of Dragon Pass.

Gnoman
2013-02-21, 05:43 PM

The PS2 had an entire PS1 built into the system. Likewise, the earlier models of PS3 had most of the essential chips from the PS2 built in. Consoles tend to be extremely specialized and customized, and the games are usually programmed in assembly for the specific chip. Emulation of the sort that the Wii uses for Virtual Console games is only really feasible for 16-bit and earlier systems. Starting with the PS1 era, it has proved nearly impossible to get satisfactory performance for all (or even most) games out of an emulator, even when that emulator is being made by the company that produced the original system.

Zevox
2013-02-21, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I couldn't do that. I actually never watch Let's Plays of any game I have any interest in actually playing myself, even if I'm unlikely to play them, because even the off chance of reducing my own enjoyment of them by spoiling something bothers me.

I tried watching Persona 4. I decided I'd much rather wait a couple years for the price of PS3s to drop, and actually play the game myself.
But Persona 4 is a PS2 game, and outside of the early models (which I think were already going away by the time Persona 4 was released stateside in December 2008), PS3s can't play those. :smallconfused:

Trazoi
2013-02-21, 06:12 PM
Darn. If the PS4 is for PS4 games only, then I guess my only purchase concern will be what the launch games are, what interesting exclusive games are coming out the first year, and whether that compares to getting a WiiU or Xbox 720*.

* Side note, does the third Xbox have a preferred unofficial name? I think they should go straight to Xbox 1080.

Mutant Sheep
2013-02-21, 06:19 PM
Darn. If the PS4 is for PS4 games only, then I guess my only purchase concern will be what the launch games are, what interesting exclusive games are coming out the first year, and whether that compares to getting a WiiU or Xbox 720*.

* Side note, does the third Xbox have a preferred unofficial name? I think they should go straight to Xbox 1080.

Why are they naming it the Playstation Four if it isn't a Playstation?:smallconfused: If you're making a new console, a new name seems appropriate. If it is an entirely NEW THING NEW FANCY then naming it like a sequel seems backwards.

I believe it was the Xbox *sideways 8 for infinity*, but that's comically outdated information on my part.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-02-21, 06:24 PM
Why are they naming it the Playstation Four if it isn't a Playstation?:smallconfused: If you're making a new console, a new name seems appropriate. If it is an entirely NEW THING NEW FANCY then naming it like a sequel seems backwards.

Especially since Japan thinks 4 is bad luck. Not four. Not IV. 4.

tyckspoon
2013-02-21, 06:49 PM
Starting with the PS1 era, it has proved nearly impossible to get satisfactory performance for all (or even most) games out of an emulator, even when that emulator is being made by the company that produced the original system.

*glances at satisfactory PS1 emulator and mostly-functional PS2 emulator* I've played most of my PS1 library via emulator without trouble. I would assume having the actual records of how the stuff worked would allow Sony to patch over any remaining problems in the emulation; it's basically a combination of having sufficient processing power and people having to reverse-engineer undocumented chip processes. A modern gaming computer has a couple orders of magnitude more power available to it than a PS1, so that's not a problem any more (even if you do have to use inefficient ways to emulate, you have the spare power to do it that way and not surrender speed) and Sony theoretically has the documentation, so that's not a problem either.

Zevox
2013-02-21, 07:02 PM
I can't imagine what else you'd use to determine whether you buy a game console, save price alone.

X-Box 720 seems to be the default for most people. Myself, I tend to just refer to it as "the next X-Box" or something similar, because it doesn't have an obvious naming convention like the Playstation.

Why are they naming it the Playstation Four if it isn't a Playstation?:smallconfused:
:smallconfused: How is it not a Playstation? It's a new Sony console, and the name they use for their consoles is Playstation.

Trazoi
2013-02-21, 07:17 PM
I can't imagine what else you'd use to determine whether you buy a game console, save price alone.
For the most part exactly this, although there are exceptions. With the Wii the new control system was interesting enough to consider buying based on that (although for me Nintendo consoles also have the promise of generally stellar exclusive first party titles at some point, even if they aren't announced at launch). And the earlier consoles generally had a really big hardware improvement that was hard not to notice, like 3D over 2D, or optical disc storage over cartridges.

The newest big thing for gaming this gen appears to be streaming games to handheld devices, which I'm not yet enthused over. It might be fantastic and I may be won over but right now it's not something that I feel I absolutely must have.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-02-21, 07:23 PM
The newest big thing for gaming this gen appears to be streaming games to handheld devices, which I'm not yet enthused over. It might be fantastic and I may be won over but right now it's not something that I feel I absolutely must have.

"What is Cloud Gaming?"

WE DON'T KNOW! :smallmad:

Onlive really has no purpose. The Nvidia is more useful, it is a handheld with a controller that you use, and runs off local networks (so you don't have to pack up and move just to use it). The Razer Edge runs PC games natively. It's basically a powerful gaming PC in tablet form, it runs on Windows 8. Of course, being Razer and being the only one of its kind out yet, it's going to be really expensive.

Gnoman
2013-02-21, 07:36 PM
*glances at satisfactory PS1 emulator and mostly-functional PS2 emulator* I've played most of my PS1 library via emulator without trouble. I would assume having the actual records of how the stuff worked would allow Sony to patch over any remaining problems in the emulation; it's basically a combination of having sufficient processing power and people having to reverse-engineer undocumented chip processes. A modern gaming computer has a couple orders of magnitude more power available to it than a PS1, so that's not a problem any more (even if you do have to use inefficient ways to emulate, you have the spare power to do it that way and not surrender speed) and Sony theoretically has the documentation, so that's not a problem either.

A lot, and I do mean a lot, of games used hardware tricks and even flaws to good effect. While emulation is possible, even the best tend to have serious flaws somewhere (for example, FF games almost universally have terrible sound.)

Raimun
2013-02-21, 08:13 PM
I can't remember any launch titles ever that have interested me.
I guess I'll buy this when there are good games for it.

You know, when the first defective models have been sold, the price has dropped and you don't have to stand in line to get one. :smalltongue:

Iskandar
2013-02-22, 03:55 AM
I can't remember any launch titles ever that have interested me.
I guess I'll buy this when there are good games for it.

You know, when the first defective models have been sold, the price has dropped and you don't have to stand in line to get one. :smalltongue:

Eh, in this case, for me at least, one does. They have a new InFamous coming out. S'bout it that I can't get elsewhere for like, 6 months to a year, but it is something.

Antonok
2013-02-22, 05:57 AM
So far none of the confirmed launch games are grabbing my interest. I'm really just waiting on the next FF and Ratchet and Clank games. Thats when I'll more then likely see about getting one.

DigoDragon
2013-02-22, 07:57 AM
Mainly im scared that developers will dump it since they will have access to a stronger pony.

I'm concerned about how expensive new games are going to cost. It seems that with each new generation of consoles, I'm paying more because of the hiked up graphics, but the story/play-control/characterization/replay aspects don't seem to improve much from past generations.

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-22, 04:35 PM
I'm concerned about how expensive new games are going to cost. It seems that with each new generation of consoles, I'm paying more because of the hiked up graphics, but the story/play-control/characterization/replay aspects don't seem to improve much from past generations.

Thats cause its lowest common denominator stuff. I would argue that in terms of 99% of gameplay: Current consoles already meet the need.

Again. Im just scared that the WiiU will become another DreamCast.

Mutant Sheep
2013-02-22, 09:07 PM
I can't imagine what else you'd use to determine whether you buy a game console, save price.

:smallconfused: How is it not a Playstation? It's a new Sony console, and the name they use for their consoles is Playstation.

Brand loyalty?:smalltongue:

A Playstation can play my playstation games. If it doesn't play Playstation games, it's not a Playstation.

Zevox
2013-02-22, 10:52 PM
A Playstation can play my playstation games. If it doesn't play Playstation games, it's not a Playstation.
And the Playstation 4 will play Playstation 4 games - thus, a Playstation. Unless you're seriously suggesting that lack of backwards-compatibility makes the system somehow "not a Playstation," which would be an argument I would find completely incomprehensible. And would mean that most models of the PS3 are also "not Playstations."

Avilan the Grey
2013-02-25, 03:13 AM
And the Playstation 4 will play Playstation 4 games - thus, a Playstation. Unless you're seriously suggesting that lack of backwards-compatibility makes the system somehow "not a Playstation," which would be an argument I would find completely incomprehensible. And would mean that most models of the PS3 are also "not Playstations."

To be fair, the lack of backwards compability seems to be another case of Sony shooting themselves in the foot. The radical change of arcitecture is a neccesary evil, I think, but it does seem to cause a huge ripple and tear in the customer base since I have heard more people state they will NOT buy it than have said they will upgrade because of this.

At the same time I am pretty damn sure that Microsoft is watching this to determine how the customer base will handle this fact, and then announce that "yes, XBox 720 will be backwards compatible".

Antonok
2013-02-25, 06:10 AM
At the same time I am pretty damn sure that Microsoft is watching this to determine how the customer base will handle this fact, and then announce that "yes, XBox 720 will be backwards compatible".

I get the feeling they aren't. Considering the rumors about the 'no used games' started with microsoft, somehow I see them being arrogant enough to think they can do whatever they want and not add in backwards compatibility and possibly even the used games ban and think gamers will buy it.

Avilan the Grey
2013-02-25, 07:25 AM
I get the feeling they aren't. Considering the rumors about the 'no used games' started with microsoft, somehow I see them being arrogant enough to think they can do whatever they want and not add in backwards compatibility and possibly even the used games ban and think gamers will buy it.

The "No Used Games" won't fly in the EU. (Mainstream) Customer Rights organizations and Courts in several countries are already making threats to MS about it and I don't think Microsoft will want to repeat the "IE Fiasco" from a few years back. This is not a "Geek" thing; AFAIR at least one court in the EU has already ruled that software is just like any other product and prohebit resales are illegal.

DigoDragon
2013-02-25, 07:32 AM
I would argue that in terms of 99% of gameplay: Current consoles already meet the need.

Which is exactly why I generally don't keep up in new console trends.

Again. Im just scared that the WiiU will become another DreamCast.

I can agree with your fears. I see some interesting potential for the WiiU's set up and I'd like it to reach that potential rather than give up the ship on the idea that game quality is only measured by pretty graphics.