PDA

View Full Version : Silver Owwww!!

Yogibear41
2013-02-21, 02:04 AM
Hello all its your friendly neighborhood Were-Bear here, in my recent endeavors to ensure the safety of the local villagers me and my compatriots ran into a nasty batch of gnolls. Normally gnolls no problem for Mr. Bear but these Gnolls smart! shoot me with silver arrows! Almost kill me! Mr. Bear ask for your help in fighting silver threat!

But seriously anyone with any off the wall or out of the box ideas for counter acting silver weapons vs a lycantrhope. The lower the level said ideas can be accomplished the better.

Tanuki Tales
2013-02-21, 02:08 AM
Well, you could shore up your defenses outside of DR X/Silver.

Things like the Roll with It feat, the one Dragon Aura feat that gets you Fast Healing when under half HP, the Troll-blooded feat, maybe a Faustian pact. Stuff of that nature.

Baroncognito
2013-02-21, 02:12 AM
Hello all its your friendly neighborhood Were-Bear here, in my recent endeavors to ensure the safety of the local villagers me and my compatriots ran into a nasty batch of gnolls. Normally gnolls no problem for Mr. Bear but these Gnolls smart! shoot me with silver arrows! Almost kill me! Mr. Bear ask for your help in fighting silver threat!

But seriously anyone with any off the wall or out of the box ideas for counter acting silver weapons vs a lycantrhope. The lower the level said ideas can be accomplished the better.

Against arrows, can't you just wear quilted armour?

silverwolfer
2013-02-21, 02:14 AM
:s, I never hit anyone so stop saying Oww

Yogibear41
2013-02-21, 02:16 AM
Against arrows, can't you just wear quilted armour?

out grow any armor when shifting to bear or hybrid form thereby ruining it, also I have wisdom to AC when unarmored for this reason.

Also never heared of quilted armor where is that from?

Oh quilted cloth from Pathfinder?

ArcturusV
2013-02-21, 02:17 AM
You know... it isn't RAW... but you'd think that Heat Metal could be used on their weapons to make them want to drop their Silver... since it's burning their hands and such. Maybe throw in an Intimidate Check on top of it to make them want to drop their weapons which are burning the fur and skin off their hands. And the tactic could be used at level 3. Well, 1 if you got one of those "Get higher than normal spell slot" tricks I suppose.

Arbane
2013-02-21, 02:19 AM

Carry a tower shield?

Baroncognito
2013-02-21, 02:19 AM
It's a pathfinder thing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor/quilted-cloth), but I assumed it had carried over from 3.5 like most other things.

Yogibear41
2013-02-21, 02:21 AM
You know... it isn't RAW... but you'd think that Heat Metal could be used on their weapons to make them want to drop their Silver... since it's burning their hands and such. Maybe throw in an Intimidate Check on top of it to make them want to drop their weapons which are burning the fur and skin off their hands. And the tactic could be used at level 3. Well, 1 if you got one of those "Get higher than normal spell slot" tricks I suppose.

Aye thats a good idea, ive thought about that a little bit myself not sure how my DM would handle it, if I had to guess I suppose he would roll a die. I've also considered the Wind Wall spell for future arrow protections as well as rusting grasp for nonmagical silver melee weapons.

ArcturusV
2013-02-21, 02:33 AM
Well, great minds and all. Or deranged minds.

Could try to bluff them as well. Stab yourself with something silver and go, "HA! NO SILVER CAN HARM MY FAE BLOOD!" or the like. Simple. Silly. Worth a shot. But probably not against gnolls that already know you're weak against Silver.

NotScaryBats
2013-02-21, 04:02 AM
Protection from Arrows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromArrows.htm) will lessen the blow of silver arrows raining down on you. It's a lvl 2 Sor/Wiz spell.

Wind Wall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/windWall.htm) also works, and is on more lists.

you mentioned companions, so they could do these things.

Gildedragon
2013-02-21, 05:15 AM
Deflect Arrows feat?

HunterOfJello
2013-02-21, 05:19 AM
Buy one of the armor crystals of arrow deflection. The lesser version is only 2500gp and gives you +5 AC versus ranged weapon attacks.

Ravens_cry
2013-02-21, 06:38 AM
Carry extra armour? Sure, once you start adding enhancments it gets expensive, but it should at least help.

JeminiZero
2013-02-21, 07:24 AM
out grow any armor when shifting to bear or hybrid form thereby ruining it, also I have wisdom to AC when unarmored for this reason.

Actually, you should be able to wear armor that is specially fitted for your bear form. The problem is that shifting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm) out of bear form causes that bear-fitted armor to drop to the ground, and after shifting back to bear form you have to spend time to put it back on again. There are 2 ways around this
1) Stay in Bear form at all times. Buy magical items so that you don't have to shift back. E.g. Pearls of Speech so that you are a talking bear.
2) Find a way to instantly don the armor after you shift to bear form. The easy way is to add the Called property [MiC 9], which makes it appear on you when you say the command word. You probably also need Pearl of Speech so that you are a talking bear to say the Command Word.

limejuicepowder
2013-02-21, 07:30 AM
Befriend the gnolls so they won't shoot you any more.

Or just be a wizard.

Fyermind
2013-02-21, 09:04 AM
Deflect arrows helps against ranged attacks. In melee grappling reduces the odds of them having effective silver weapons to use.

Look at fist of the forest. Con to AC will help too.

Deophaun
2013-02-21, 09:10 AM
Buy one of the armor crystals of arrow deflection. The lesser version is only 2500gp and gives you +5 AC versus ranged weapon attacks.
Just don't get the greater version. For some reason, it only gives you the same AC bonus as the least, not the lesser.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-02-21, 09:10 AM
You probably also need Pearl of Speech so that you are a talking bear to say the Command Word.

That's rather ethnocentric, don't you think? Just because the bear can't speak any languages spoken by us humanoids, it can't say a word? :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2013-02-21, 09:20 AM
That's rather ethnocentric, don't you think? Just because the bear can't speak any languages spoken by us humanoids, it can't say a word? :smalltongue:
Even if you're a beefy homosexual, with perhaps a taste for motorcycles and leather, that's more a sub-culture . . .

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-21, 09:25 AM
Command word - Grwwwwwll

Garagos
2013-02-21, 09:33 AM
I assume these gnolls knew they were going to be fighting a werecreature of some type? Or is your DM just giving all his random encounters and bad guys silver/magic weapons? That kinda defeats the point of you even having damage reduction at all. I understand that bad guys who have heard of your group would be prepared but just for random mooks to have silver weapons seems unlikely.

To avoid the silver weapon problem, I also suggest Deflect Arrows or Gloves of Arrow Snaring for ranged attacks. For melee attacks, assuming your wearbear is some type of melee brute type, Improved Sunder.

Vizzerdrix
2013-02-21, 11:10 AM
You could always just get a second type of DR. For three feats you can get DR 5/Byeshk out of the Eberron book Dragonmarked.

Yogibear41
2013-02-21, 11:21 AM
I assume these gnolls knew they were going to be fighting a werecreature of some type? Or is your DM just giving all his random encounters and bad guys silver/magic weapons? That kinda defeats the point of you even having damage reduction at all. I understand that bad guys who have heard of your group would be prepared but just for random mooks to have silver weapons seems unlikely.

This was like the 3rd or 4th time we have encountered these gnolls and basically me and this other character in our group (who wasn't with us at this time) have been all but untouchable to them, however they rely heavily on guerrila warfare type tactics and some have escaped from every encounter we have had with them, so they generally have learned all our tricks. Also we basically walked into an ambush this time around and they pretty much focused me down in one or two rounds with ranged weapons before I even got a chance to do anything lol. Luckily my DM was feeling nice and decided to not kill me once I hit -7 HP lol

For random mooks I think he usually rolls a percentage die with like a 10% chance for them to have something like silver or cold iron depending on how rare the material is the percentage goes up or down. This is the first time this character has actually fought something with silver weapons.

Andezzar
2013-02-21, 12:10 PM
It might be a bit outside the box, but how about getting concealment or invisibility? People with silver weapons that don't see you cannot hit you. You however can sneak up on them.