PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Bite

Charity322
2013-02-21, 07:12 AM
Looking at the new comic again, I noticed that in one scene Mr Scruffy is heroically biting Malack's tail. So, I was wondering, if a vampire can infect you by biting you then what happens if you bite a vampire? Can vampirism be passed on that way?

Can Mr Scruffy even be turned into a vampire, seeing as he isn't humanoid?

mrzomby
2013-02-21, 07:27 AM
It doesn't look like Mr.Scruffy broke skin, though I imagine if someone can gain vampirism from that would depend on the fiction.

A: If it was some sort of infection that the vampire has, and passes through blood contact, like HIV/aids...That scenario would definitely pass it.

B: If it is somehow brought on by the vampires teeth being coated in(such as certain biological venoms) spreading through your blood stream, then biting the victim would be the way to go.

Jay R
2013-02-21, 11:52 AM
Looking at the new comic again, I noticed that in one scene Mr Scruffy is heroically biting Malack's tail. So, I was wondering, if a vampire can infect you by biting you then what happens if you bite a vampire? Can vampirism be passed on that way?

Can Mr Scruffy even be turned into a vampire, seeing as he isn't humanoid?

Oh, no! Malack's about to contract felinism!

FujinAkari
2013-02-21, 12:20 PM
No, a vampire has to drain his target's Constitution Score to 0 to turn him. There is no way Mr. Scruffy's constitution can be affected by attacking.

EnragedFilia
2013-02-21, 12:44 PM
First of all, breaking skin (or scales as the case may be) is generally treated as occurring only when damage is dealt that either bypasses or overpowers damage resistance (as well as any applicable immunities), as seen in the rules for administering injury poison. So unless Mr. Scruffy also underwent a dental upgrade to his natural weapons after an incident involving vast quantities of strawberry cake frosting, he isn't getting through a DR 10/silver+magic.

Second, as noted above, the SRD treats the vampire's ability to create new vampires as a 'spawning' ability similar to those of the wight or shadow that activates when the victim is slain via a specific means, rather than behaving as a transmissible 'disease' similar to lycanthropy.

KillianHawkeye
2013-02-21, 05:29 PM
Vampirism is not a disease in D&D.

Red.Tide
2013-02-21, 05:37 PM
So unless Mr. Scruffy also underwent a dental upgrade to his natural weapons after an incident involving vast quantities of strawberry cake frosting, he isn't getting through a DR 10/silver+magic.

A bit off-topic, but do you think this happened to Argent because Shojo was trying to make him more useful, or just because he was pretending to be insane?

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-02-21, 05:41 PM
A bit off-topic, but do you think this happened to Argent because Shojo was trying to make him more useful, or just because he was pretending to be insane?

Yes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MathematiciansAnswer).

Grey Wolf

Charity322
2013-02-21, 06:16 PM
Well, Mr Scruffy was Lord Shojo's pet; I could see him having a strawberry frosting incident too lol.

I think Lord Shojo was a little too indulgent regarding pets. I don't think it was because of feigning insanity or trying to help. After all he was only feigning insanity; it takes real insanity to feed a dog a ton of frosting hoping that his teeth will fall out so you can give him uber dentures.

EnragedFilia
2013-02-21, 07:42 PM
Well, Mr Scruffy was Lord Shojo's pet; I could see him having a strawberry frosting incident too lol.

I think Lord Shojo was a little too indulgent regarding pets. I don't think it was because of feigning insanity or trying to help. After all he was only feigning insanity; it takes real insanity to feed a dog a ton of frosting hoping that his teeth will fall out so you can give him uber dentures.

Perhaps, but what if he just made up the cake frosting story when Hinjo got back from his trip (or whatever) and wanted to know why his dire wolf steed was under a dentist's knife? Also, if you want to improve a dire wolf's bite attack, there are probably better options than just replacing its teeth with silver, particularly if you're insane enough to go about it in the first place.

ReaderAt2046
2013-02-21, 09:49 PM
Perhaps, but what if he just made up the cake frosting story when Hinjo got back from his trip (or whatever) and wanted to know why his dire wolf steed was under a dentist's knife? Also, if you want to improve a dire wolf's bite attack, there are probably better options than just replacing its teeth with silver, particularly if you're insane enough to go about it in the first place.

Not if you want to fight devils (or maybe it's demons, can't remember). Against those, it's basically a +10 to damage.

EnragedFilia
2013-02-21, 10:59 PM
Not if you want to fight devils (or maybe it's demons, can't remember). Against those, it's basically a +10 to damage.

Yes, it's silver for devils (and vampires and lycanthropes), cold iron for demons (and Eladrin and some types of fae). Strictly speaking it's "silver or good" for lower ranked devils and "silver and good" for higher ranked ones (which apparently doesn't include the big giant whatever it was on the island, unless Argent's natural weapons also count as good-aligned somehow), with a similar arrangement of "metal and opposing alignment" for the other above categories.

But what I had in mind was more along the lines of replacing the whole jaw. You know, like a mad scientist type or other such "actually-crazy" person would do.