PDA

View Full Version : Naming Themes

Ranting Fool
2013-02-21, 07:16 AM
I need some help coming up with a few names of local tribes and/or cities.

My campaign basically has a bunch of European types (lots of knights and wizards and high "civilization" requiring classes) come over to a new continent where there are a bunch of native tribes of various races but since I'm bad at naming things and two of my players are rather dyslexic I decided to name them mostly after bands.

A few such are:

Velvet Underground (Planetouched fire/earth who live in a desert)
White Snakes (Human)
Snow Patrol-ers (Human)
Children of the Corn (Human, live in vast plain lands)
Lambs of God (Human)
Lady Hawks (Elves)
Bunny Men, with their leader Echo (Halfgiants who ride a Titanic creature that COULD be called a Bunny if you squinted at it in bad light)
Screaming Trees (Lizardman Tribe)
Mega Deaths (Lizardman Tribe)
The Black Crows (Lizardman Tribe)
The Doors (Maybe Lizardman but can disappear through magic doors)
Florance and the Machines (Intelligent Constructs / Warforged, not met but heard of)
Grateful Dead (Undead intelligent Lizardmen)
Iron Maiden's (An amazonian style Lizard"man" Tribe)
Rage Against the Machine (a splinter tribe from Florance :smalltongue:)

Anyone feel up to adding some more tribes to my world? (Or Knightly Orders/obscure Churches as I'm sure I'll chuck some Manic Street Preachers in there at some point) :smallbiggrin:

Needs a lot more Elf ones, haven't come up with any dwarf ones or halfling ones.

Anyone who a cool name that has a theme and makes me laugh gains THREE Internets! :smallbiggrin:

limejuicepowder
2013-02-21, 07:27 AM
K.O.R.N - Killer Order of Rejected Nights (Knightly order made from the dregs of different races, all of them poor spellers)

Primus - (Monastic group that considers themselves the most important people EVAR)

Marilyn Manson - (leader of a death-inspired cult that isn't nearly as evil as people think they are)

Journey - (wandering group of halfling gypsies)

Rush - (murderous orc warband who all have shock trooper and headlong rush)

JeminiZero
2013-02-21, 07:34 AM
Well the obvious one:

The Beatles: Insectoid race. Either Formians or Thri-keen.

Also:

Metallica: Another Warforged tribe.

The Monkees: Either an order of monks, or a tribe of anthromorphic monkeys. You decide.

Arrowsmith (Aerosmith): Archery focused elves.

Beastie Boys: Tribe of assorted Lycanthropes.

Ranting Fool
2013-02-22, 07:46 AM
hehe well thank you two as I had a good giggle before heading off to work :smallbiggrin:

Also I can't believe I didn't think of these two before.

Quest

wu tang clan :smallbiggrin:

Mighty_Chicken
2013-02-22, 10:09 AM
Slipknots*: a cursed tribe of halflings who where turned into ghouls
I only put this here because I don't know what a "Slipknot" is in English, but I presume it means something, doesn't it?

Arcade Fire: a tribe of human raiders who descend from a lost civilization and cargo-cult the ancient capital city, a bunch of classical ruins that are always on magical fire.

The Cranberries: as it usual with savage people, this is not the name they gave to themselves (which would translate just as "people"), but an insult-name their enemies gave them. Those lizardmen twice a year stop everything they're doing to collect fruits (like American Native bull festivals). Other lizardmen see this as weird/weak/stupid. But they're actually gathering poison/magic components.

Little Joy: a tribe of forest kobold who treat prisioners like kings before canibalizing them. Also laugh constantly between themselves while trading.

Blind: cavern dwellers with very limitted darkvision who prey the surface tribes at moonless nights. They're actually blind at daylighy

Rhapsody: their bards are so talented that other tribes have them kidnapped. They have a lore of knowledge about the land's past and lore, but a big part of it are just silly mythology about how awesome their ancestors where.

Te-bens: mad savages who just mirror whatever they think foreigns are doing, including excessful violence or peaceful physical contact. They have some ecstatic pleasure in mimicking what foreigns do, and/or being immitated by the foreigns, while they point and say to each other, "te ben, te ben!" ("you too, you too").

Ok the last one was silly. Better stop.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-02-22, 10:44 AM
Mighty-Chicken: A Slipknot is exactly what it sounds like, a knot that can slip.

Here are some from me:

One eyed doll: A tribe of Warforged diviners.

Trivium: A scholarly order.

Falconer: A Raptorian tribe.

Ranting Fool
2013-02-23, 06:02 AM
I always thought they called the Band Slipknot because it is

A knot made with a loop so that it slips easily along the rope or cord around which it is tied.

Also known as a Hangman's noose. But then again that could just be fans trying to come up with cool meanings behind everything. :smallbiggrin:

One Direction: A tribe that have been cursed to only move in one direction, never turning back but always going east-west :smallbiggrin:

Bear Naked Ladies (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272738) Those Druids are crazy! :smallbiggrin:

Talking Heads (Undead floating skulls)

They Might Be Giants Halfling adventuring group :smallbiggrin:

I honestly don't know why bad pop culture references and puns always make me smile :smallbiggrin:

I was once going to have an NPC Bard that couldn't speak but could only sing and communicate via popular songs.... But that would have taken far too much effort :smalltongue:

limejuicepowder
2013-02-23, 07:56 AM
Nine Inch Nails - cult of warlocks all specializing in eldritch claw

Biggie Smalls - halfling kingpin gang leader

Men at Work - thieve's guild that fronts as a blacksmith's union

Griffith!
2013-02-23, 10:25 AM
Cage the Elephant - animal trappers and ivory hunters.

Scissor Sisters - a band of disaffected former seamstresses-turned-adventurers. Led by a bard named Laura, who doesn't feel like dancing. (What? I had to.)

Stone Sour - surly dwarves with a fondness for cocktails.

Rob Zombie - tomb raiding undead hunters notorious for stealing even the gold caps off the teeth.

The Doors - planewalking play-actors, who ply their trade in worlds across the 'verse.

The Rolling Stones - a roving band of nomadic Stone giants or goliaths.

Skillet - the international order of chefs and butchers.

Oasis - desert merchants, possibly running three star resorts every dozen miles of so. Led by two brothers who fight. A lot.

The Offspring - children of high-ranking people the world over - some are princes, some well-to-do merchants, some simply the sons of guild leaders - all of them disenfranchised and entitled.

Or, you know, whatever man.